Time to "fess up"

I'll admit it. This thread is a bit negative but I think it's necessary.

The lack of accountability that people have for their stated positions and their crusades is truly amazing.

Recall the clamor and hysteria of some of the posters here as we got closer to cut down day. The din was deafening. At one time two weeks ago, we had 5 different threads about the quarterback situation on page one alone.

Lots of our members were just totally adamant AND VOCAL about what they thought was going to happen/what they wanted to have happen to the Bills roster (the two often get confused in some people's minds).

Those same people are conspicuous by their silence now…especially on matters such as which quarterbacks would made the roster.

So who said what and where are those people now?

I remember more than a few guarantees that Kawika Mitchell was going to get cut. Ditto for Chris Kelsay.

Where are all those folks who were positive that Levi Brown was gonna be kept as the third quarterback and not waived?

Where are all the Brian Brohm haters? The Fitzy haters?

Now's the time to confess to the error of your ways. The truth will liberate you!

Man up and be accountable for your opinions.

Or quietly close out of this thread and pretend you didn't read it.

Lets look at the list...

I never once thought Kelsay or Mitchell would get cut

I never once thought Levi would be on the active roster

I definitely wasnt a Brian Brohm hater and I wasnt a Fitz hater, more of a Fitz realist...saw him as a good backup but not so good full time starter.

So, going down the checklist, I dont seem to have anything to confess on this list as I was pretty much on the right side of fence on these... :beer:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I am no expert, I admit it.

My final roster which I finished again about 7:oo am (your time) before the cuts yesterday these were the differences

on offence

I cut Brohm

I put Levi on the PS

I cut Chad Simpson and put Bell on the PS

I kept Naaman Roosevelt

Chad Jackson was on my roster

I cut the same Olinemen (I put a few on the PS)

I cut Donald Jones

on defense

I cut McCargo

and both of the Harrises

I think thats it

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/118275-my-roster/

You have to go to the bottom of the page to see my final choices

Actually now that Bell NR and Watkins are on PS, 1 Harris is gone and you have to think either the other might be next couple of days, I am doing pretty good only 4 or 5 wrong. Oh and I did cut JP first day don't know how I missed that when I wrote the post above. Maybe today will be my redemption. Could they have cut Jackson for his salary? Will they pick him back up? Only Cable Lady knows forsure. :D

Seriously, the thread was a bit of a lark. But I thought it provoked some great posts, even the prickly ones.

Maybe it's me but I like when people come clean on things they wrote here. I think it's a pretty good litmus test for character.

Given the choice of having people own up to their positions or not, I'd much rather people were simply honest about their track records.

It's the only antidote to some of the behavior here. Everyone is entitled to "free thought" but that's not the same thing as blowharding a bad opinion for days at a time only to slink away or go mum when your position is proven completely wrong.

I actually avoid making predictions and dressing them up like certain outcomes. I've been around long enough to know that I'm far from infallible.

Anyways, it's my turn.

Last offseason, I said with certainty that the Bills would never sign Terrell Owens. Oops.

I publicly argued that I thought Dick Jauron was going to be a good coach. I cited his Coach of the Year award and the fact that in his last year, with his job on the line, that the Bears had a very strong 2nd half of the season. I thought that this was a sign that the players were rallying around him. I thought that when Jerry Angelo took the Bears job (Jauron was already the coach) that he was just waiting for a chance to get his own coach in there and I thought his firing of Jauron was a mistake. I was convinced that Marv made a good hire with Jauron.

Speaking of Marv, I thought that Marv Levy was going to be a good GM. I was a charter member of the "In Marv we Trust" club.

I often stated that I thought that Roscoe Parrish was not capable of being a Wes Welker type player because he was too slight…about the same height as Welker but 15 pounds lighter and not having enough physicality to defeat press coverage. On this one it looks I might be proven somewhat wrong.

Thanks for all the great responses. They exceeded expectations and I really expected that this thread would be a one (page) and done deal.

Sorry if anyone was offended. That certainly wasn't the intention.

Most of the straight forward posts were excellent and even the slightly hostile posts were generally very funny and well-written.

I also predicted that when San Francisco running back Glenn Coffey retired, that he would reconsider and come back to the team.

He filed his retirement papers shortly thereafter.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/117152-glenn-coffee/page__p__1935725#entry1935725

Please forgive me oh great pure and righteous OP, but I have taken part in the frivolous liberties associated with free thought. It is true... I have sinned. As recently as Thursday of the week just passed, I entertained an impure thought inclusive of a linebacking corps sans Kawika Mitchell. I only request that my penance be carried out in a swift and forceful manner, lest I forget this lesson of accountability. Act now and spare me from that inevitable downward spiral where I always seem to tumble back through Alice's (tramp) looking glass, and into a tawdry place where accountability is a silly word that is seldom applied to whimsical pursuits. Do it now...

For your penance, you must go and post 10 times in the Last Post Wins! thread, and they must be relevant to whatever current conversation is happening at that time.

-- Once, at a Bills game, I hugged my wife... and together we dared to dream that our son would grow up to be just like O.J. Simpson

Must supply picture of wife to determine if it was bad decisions.

Edited by Just Jack

My name is mead and I am not a Trent lover but, He is the QB so I will cheer him on.

this is by far the least talented bills team in the last 10 years, even after the cuts. gonna be a long season , folks.. is there a mercy rule in the NFL.. like you go 0-7 and they just end your season?

I need not save you my son for you have saved yourself! Your confession is the truth, and the truth shall set you free!

Seriously, the thread was a bit of a lark. But I thought it provoked some great posts, even the prickly ones.

Maybe it's me but I like when people come clean on things they wrote here. I think it's a pretty good litmus test for character.

Given the choice of having people own up to their positions or not, I'd much rather people were simply honest about their track records.

It's the only antidote to some of the behavior here. Everyone is entitled to "free thought" but that's not the same thing as blowharding a bad opinion for days at a time only to slink away or go mum when your position is proven completely wrong.

I actually avoid making predictions and dressing them up like certain outcomes. I've been around long enough to know that I'm far from infallible.

Anyways, it's my turn.

Last offseason, I said with certainty that the Bills would never sign Terrell Owens. Oops.

I publicly argued that I thought Dick Jauron was going to be a good coach. I cited his Coach of the Year award and the fact that in his last year, with his job on the line, that the Bears had a very strong 2nd half of the season. I thought that this was a sign that the players were rallying around him. I thought that when Jerry Angelo took the Bears job (Jauron was already the coach) that he was just waiting for a chance to get his own coach in there and I thought his firing of Jauron was a mistake. I was convinced that Marv made a good hire with Jauron.

Speaking of Marv, I thought that Marv Levy was going to be a good GM. I was a charter member of the "In Marv we Trust" club.

I often stated that I thought that Roscoe Parrish was not capable of being a Wes Welker type player because he was too slight…about the same height as Welker but 15 pounds lighter and not having enough physicality to defeat press coverage. On this one it looks I might be proven somewhat wrong.

Thanks for all the great responses. They exceeded expectations and I really expected that this thread would be a one (page) and done deal.

Sorry if anyone was offended. That certainly wasn't the intention.

Most of the straight forward posts were excellent and even the slightly hostile posts were generally very funny and well-written.

Oh, sorry , I thought we were just admitting THIS off-season's mistakes - if we're to go back in time...

1) I thought we'd win all 4 Superbowls, plus the 2 before that;

2) I thought Williams and Mularkey would be good coaches;

3) Believed Marv would have a great 2nd run as Bill coach;

4) Then thought he'd be a successful GM;

And let's not forget the perennial...

5) 19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

Come to think, there's really very little I'm ever right about - except for one absolute, incontrovertible fact...

Jason Peters IS an ungrateful, greedy, selfish, fat tub of goo with a lazy attitude and a blown-out groin - he'll never return to the Pro Bowl form that made everyone think he was so great, and Russ Brandon and the entire Bills F.O. were very wise to unload him and his overinflated contract demands on the unsuspecting Eagles.

Wow, SJBF, you were right - that WAS cathartic!!! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

(19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-) )

Hi. My board name is Enuf-is-Enuf, and here are my confessions (as if anybody really cares).

I too thought Fitz was gone, Brohm would be 2nd, & Brown would be 3rd...but my real confession is much deeper.

I've been lurking around this board for years, & when I signed up in January it was to tell you all that I've been nuts for years, & that all you guys are nuts as well...for being die hard Bills fans. It was like a slow self torture...& I had had Enuf! Enuf-is-Enuf...as in I'm gonna be a die hard Cargers fan instead of a Bills fan...even though I grew up just down the road from Rich Stadium & watched it being built. I simply couldn't take anymore. But then changes were made...CHIX impressed me...and here I am...back in the saddle & can't wait for the Fins game! Now...my Enuf-is-Enuf stands for...enuf of losing seasons...it's time to start winning. The three videos someone posted the other day ...watching Tim Russert, etc., made me realize that this is something a die hard fan simply cannot walk away from...period. I apologize for trying. Please forgive me.

OK if we are going on the way back machine I didn't think OJ did it. I would have voted Kemp if I could have in the primaries. I thought Preston Ridlehuber should have been league MPV because of 2 plays (one which I didn't see, F%$&ing NBC), of course I was 9 at the time.

Silence in itself is the most potent statement that can be made by former noisey posters. I said right from the start that Edwards would win the starting position in the qb competition. DarthIce and his Taliban tribe of TE haters unleashed a torrent of ridicule at me. Now they are hiding in their caves. Shameless cowards! LOL

Wow!!!!

i thot fitz might be gone too, and brown stick aroun'. but now it all makes perfect sense: Trent looks better with a REAL OC now, so why wouldn't anyone else, including Fitz? they all looked rough earlier, but that's what you get with a new deal; none of them played this offense before. Fitz has some experience, and really isn't that bad.

regarding the Hardy boy, it's no mystery that he's gone. we gave him the chance to show that he can't stay on the field, or figure the game out. jeezus, TWO undrafted rooks beat him out. they learned more in one training camp than he did in three. he may come back to haunt us someday, like when he's 36 and decides "hey, maybe i should like, GO for the ball!". or, we could give him a tryout when he's 35½. and 31 other teams quit on him.

i expected Chad Jax to make it too, but now we match what the Patz and Horses did but dumping his act.

so, i may have been wrong, but it still feelz pretty good. B-)

~AS

The problem is not people voicing their opinion it's people saying "I told you so". As with all great fortune tellers there should be no need for recognition. Nostradamus made his predictions and lived with the results.

I don't expect the Mayans to return and say "Sorry we really believed the world would end in December of 2012."

I still believe that I saw John Y. Brown, Phyllis George, Paul Snyder, Bird Averitt and Elmore Smith all dancing on stage during a 1978 Grateful Dead performance of "Shakedown Street". So what? It is not the accuracy of the belief , but the capacity to believe that holds the power. I think Van Miller and/or some guy named Rick Jeanneret may have suggested something similar once or twice.

For what it is worth, as a newcomer, I have to say this has been a fun thread in an introspective and historical way. I didn't see that coming :thumbsup: and thanks to the OP for the opportunity to look both forward as well as back. I am in the process of returning to Buffalo permanently after many years spent in what are supposedly more attractive and/or glamorous locales. I can't wait to get back to the people and places that time has revealed to me, to be my true home. For whatever reason, this thread has triggered an opportunity to revisit some very fond memories and I look forward to throwing many new ones on to the pile upon returning there later this fall.

You guys are great! Keep doing what you do and keep having fun!

Thanks and welcome to the board, water.

I still believe that I saw John Y. Brown, Phyllis George, Paul Snyder, Bird Averitt and Elmore Smith all dancing on stage during a 1978 Grateful Dead performance of "Shakedown Street". So what? It is not the accuracy of the belief , but the capacity to believe that holds the power. I think Van Miller and/or some guy named Rick Jeanneret may have suggested something similar once or twice.

For what it is worth, as a newcomer, I have to say this has been a fun thread in an introspective and historical way. I didn't see that coming :thumbsup: and thanks to the OP for the opportunity to look both forward as well as back. I am in the process of returning to Buffalo permanently after many years spent in what are supposedly more attractive and/or glamorous locales. I can't wait to get back to the people and places that time has revealed to me, to be my true home. For whatever reason, this thread has triggered an opportunity to revisit some very fond memories and I look forward to throwing many new ones on to the pile upon returning there later this fall.

You guys are great! Keep doing what you do and keep having fun!

I'll admit it. This thread is a bit negative but I think it's necessary.

The lack of accountability that people have for their stated positions and their crusades is truly amazing.

Recall the clamor and hysteria of some of the posters here as we got closer to cut down day. The din was deafening. At one time two weeks ago, we had 5 different threads about the quarterback situation on page one alone.

Lots of our members were just totally adamant AND VOCAL about what they thought was going to happen/what they wanted to have happen to the Bills roster (the two often get confused in some people's minds).

Those same people are conspicuous by their silence now…especially on matters such as which quarterbacks would made the roster.

So who said what and where are those people now?

I remember more than a few guarantees that Kawika Mitchell was going to get cut. Ditto for Chris Kelsay.

Where are all those folks who were positive that Levi Brown was gonna be kept as the third quarterback and not waived?

Where are all the Brian Brohm haters? The Fitzy haters?

Now's the time to confess to the error of your ways. The truth will liberate you!

Man up and be accountable for your opinions.

Or quietly close out of this thread and pretend you didn't read it.

This is my favorite thread in some time, since probably the Tim Graham thread (/sarcasm). I believe a week or so ago I mentioned something about this board having no accountability and that being one of the biggest problems. Most of you don't like me around here because you don't like my attitude, that I'm a "know-it-all." I can live with that. But that's only the case with a few things. Football happens to be one of them. That being said, I think I hit more than I missed. Where was I wrong? Where was I right? Well...

QB: The Brohm-lovers went overboard for the better part of the summer without a single reason to back it up. I predicted he would not be our starter opening day. After watching him against Indy I predicted he would make the roster as a backup. Again, there was more insanity over Levi Brown, yet he entered the fourth game of the preseason 5-for-12 for 38 yards and a pick, yet the belief was that we "couldn't risk" trying to put him on the practice squad. That was, of course, pretty stupid, and I predicted he would get cut. I predicted they'll PS him, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I haven't seen anything from him - besides a super-strong arm - that would warrant it.

RB: Spiller, Jackson, and Lynch were no-brainers, and no one expected to see Chad Simpson make the roster. But I did think J. Bell would make the roster, in light of Jackson's injury. I figured they would cut him once Jackson returned and look to put him on the PS, but they didn't even bother.

WR: I predicted Chad Jackson would be cut, David Nelson would make the roster, and Johnson would win the #2 by default. 3-for-3. I thought Hardy might make the roster, but made a point of saying if he did it would be on potential alone, that he hadn't shown anything this pre-season (or ever, really) and that it wouldn't surprise me if he was cut. So there I am, not surprised. What I was surprised at was the fact that we kept Donald Jones. My only thought is that we kept him for special teams, because I haven't seen him do a thing this pre-season. In fact, all he did against Detroit was drop passes.

TE/OL: I didn't make any predictions regarding TE or the offensive line that I remember. No surprises there, of course. Cornell Green still sucks, but there was no way he was getting cut (unfortunately).

DL/LB: I said I wouldn't be surprised if Kelsay was cut (since he was learning a new position and he really didn't belong as a LB), but I didn't think he would be. I definitely thought McCargo would make the team - he's made a few plays this pre-season. With McCargo and Kelsay as the frequent whipping boys here on the DL, there weren't many other bold predictions to make. The only thing I'm really surprised about is that we only kept 2 NT's - K. Williams and Troup. If one goes down we're going to be asking a lot of the other to take all the snaps at NT during the former's absence. Also, the thought of K. Mitchell getting cut was absurd. We are too lacking at that position in talent to cut him, far too lacking. Moats should be an OLB, not an ILB IMO.

DB: The Lankster cut was no surprise, if you read my previous posts. Reggie Corner has got to be the last CB on the depth chart, behind Youboty as the dime-back. Maybe he'll play in "prevent" situations? Concerning the safeties, the only surprise to me was that Jon Corto was still on the roster. I honestly had no idea. And that the Harrises made it - Cary had a chance I figured, but I didn't (and still don't) know who Dominique Harris even is (although he didn't last long, I guess).

There it is folks, take it or leave it.

this is by far the least talented bills team in the last 10 years, even after the cuts. gonna be a long season , folks.. is there a mercy rule in the NFL.. like you go 0-7 and they just end your season?

I'll make a deal with you. You can pick my avatar and tagline for the rest of the season after the Bills go 0-7. As soon as they win one game before the 7th I get to choose your avatar and tagline for the rest of the season. Deal?

BTW, 8-8 forever isn't the name for a Bills fan, IMO.

BTW, I forgot to confess that I would have traded a slew of picks to move up and get Ryan Leaf. :bag: