Final Roster: Positional Grades

Quarterbacks: F

The Bills have arguably THE worst quarterback situation in the NFL. What more is there to say?

Running Backs: B+

While the Bills don't have one of the marquee backs in the league, they have a talented stable of backs that many teams would be happy with.

Offensive Line: C

The young guards look good, the tackles are way below average.

Tight Ends: F

Foschi and Stupar are terrible. Nelson is suspended, a mediocre receiver, and a liability in the run game.

Wide Receivers: D

Lee Evans is a solid player. He would make a nice number 2 on a lot of teams. Everyone else would fail to make the roster on a team with a good offense.

Defensive Line: C+

Williams is serviceable, Stroud has a little left in the tank, and things are dicey beyond that.

Linebackers: D-

Poz will never live up to expectations, Mitchell is aging, and the rest are journeyman backup caliber.

Cornerbacks: C+

McGee is solid, Florence is not too bad for a nickel/dime guy. McKelvin has done nothing to warrant the high draft choice as of yet.

Safeties: B

Stong unit on the whole, good depth. I may have graded them higher but I'm skeptical that Byrd is the real deal.

Overall Team Grade: D

There is some talent on this offense, but that passing attack is just plain awful. In a league that favors the passing attack more and more every year, its going to be hard for the Bills to win many games with the meager production to be expected from their passing game. The defense has some talent as well, but the switch to 3-4 highlights the linebackers who are unfortunately the weak link of the defense.

What are you basing these grades on? The past coaching staff/philosophy and 4 meaningless pre-season games. Wait a few weeks to see how they perform and stop acting like you know more than an NFL front office and coaching staff.

Saying they have the worst QB situation is purley based on past history - an a s s hole head coach, an injury riddled O-line, and an offensive coordinator fit for a high school team. I'm sure you took this into account when you considered your "grades". Give me a break.

Edited by Azucho98

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how the Buffalo Bills ranked in most offensive categories over the last few seasons and that we live in a what have you done for me lately world, Barkers grades while not what most folks would like to see are probably not that far off base in my opinion.

Preseason means nothing its what happens next that counts.

Note: Myself personally,I by no means am agreeing with Barkers observations and there's a couple of important factors that can make all the difference in the world in my opinion and that's Coaching and management.

Coaching/management over the last decade F :thumbdown:

Coaching/management of the future ??? (looking up in my opinion) :thumbsup:

Good post dog!

The Bills have arguably THE worst quarterback situation in the NFL. What more is there to say?

While the Bills don't have one of the marquee backs in the league, they have a talented stable of backs that many teams would be happy with.

Foschi and Stupar are terrible. Nelson is suspended, a mediocre receiver, and a liability in the run game.

Lee Evans is a solid player. He would make a nice number 2 on a lot of teams. Everyone else would fail to make the roster on a team with a good offense.

Williams is serviceable, Stroud has a little left in the tank, and things are dicey beyond that.

Poz will never live up to expectations, Mitchell is aging, and the rest are journeyman backup caliber.

McGee is solid, Florence is not too bad for a nickel/dime guy. McKelvin has done nothing to warrant the high draft choice as of yet.

Stong unit on the whole, good depth. I may have graded them higher but I'm skeptical that Byrd is the real deal.

There is some talent on this offense, but that passing attack is just plain awful. In a league that favors the passing attack more and more every year, its going to be hard for the Bills to win many games with the meager production to be expected from their passing game. The defense has some talent as well, but the switch to 3-4 highlights the linebackers who are unfortunately the weak link of the defense.

This is one of the least skilled Bills rosters in history. Hope they stay 100% healthy and Gailey has a million tricks up his sleeve on offense, or else this is a 4 -12 season for sure. Sucks to be a Bills fan.

Fail on many levels.

Why such anger in your post? I don't find your points of views to be any more crediable than his. The truth lies somewhere in between. Why does one have to be so condescending?

(1) What has TE done in the past that is so commendable?

D. Anderson had one very good year. Not a fan of his but he is more proven than TE.

Sanchez young and unproven. IMHO, most football people would take him over any of our QB's.

Matt Moore/Clausen. Unproven but much more upside. I would take both of these over TE/Fitz.

J Freeman. Maybe you didn't see the second half of Tampa's season. This guy looked sharp. I wish he was on our QB roster.

Jake D. Appears to be washed up but maybe new scenery with Holgrim will jump start him.

Campbell without a doubt an upgrade over TE. Has lots of excuses. The stats don't lie. Bills should have traded for him.

Cassel looked great in NE. I would take him over TE just based on that performance.

Cutler comment doesn't even require a response. Shouldn't even be on your list.

Bradford. How many of us would want him on our team right now? Answer, everyone but you.

Our QB situation is one of the worst in the league. Perhaps not the worst but bottom feeders for sure.

I am not sold on Williams. You talk as though he is a pro bowler. He is adequate at best. Struod looks to be in better shape but I haven't been exactly wowed by his performance this preseason. So if you idea of reenergized is loosing weight than your correct. Who cares if Edwards started for the Ravens. Did you forget he has a suspect neck? I do like the way he has played this preseason. I haven't been impressed by Troup or Carrington. Then again they are young and should be given time to prove themselves. But, to this point they are back ups with something to prove.

I have watched every game. We all see things differently. Your opinion is appreciated (with valid points) your tone, condescending remarks, and name calling isn't.

Sadly, this is the kind of post I would have written months ago. I have since changed my behavior thanks to the many posters here. Maybe, you can take this advice and do the same.

Normally you and I agree on many things, the current QB situation is not one of them.

You clearly are basing your opinion past years performances without taking into account how much influence Chan Gailey will have on his new offense vs Idiots like Dick Jauron and Turk Schonert. I liked AVP but he wasn't ready to bear the full load of QB coach- OC game planning and play calling.

At first I wasn't sold on Gailey as being 'the guy" needed to turn this team around, now after the "you dog one of us, you dog all of us" incident and the offensive performance of the last 3 preseason games I'm starting to buy into his approach, I like the guy and want him to succeed.

I'm not the huge TE fan like dog is, although I do acknowledge that TE is very capable of running Gaileys offense as his college background was a "WCO" system and Gaileys is very similar in terms of getting the ball out very quickly. Edwards is smart, has a very quick release and is very accurate, very very important qualities to have in this new offense. If he has a fault its that he is susceptible to injury, and in Jauron's offense he was constantly getting hammered in that moronic Mike Martz passing scheme.

You need to take into consideration how much has changed on the offense, "play calling"- "Scheme"- "Coaching", and although I'm still not very happy about the Bills O line- WR-TE situation... after watching Edwards play in the last 3 preseason games I'm open to the idea that Gailey can get by with what he has to work with.

The NFL football analysts are all basing their opinions of the Bills QB's based on last seasons performance... no reason for us Bills fans do that when we have already seen improvement, Edwards with a 102.7 - Fitz 110.4 QB rating shows me they have improved. Now lets see that same performance in the regular season and I'm certain that many opinions here and around the NFL will change.

Edited by thewildrabbit

Why such anger in your post? I don't find your points of views to be any more crediable than his. The truth lies somewhere in between. Why does one have to be so condescending?

D. Anderson had one very good year. Not a fan of his but he is more proven than TE.

Sanchez young and unproven. IMHO, most football people would take him over any of our QB's.

Matt Moore/Clausen. Unproven but much more upside. I would take both of these over TE/Fitz.

J Freeman. Maybe you didn't see the second half of Tampa's season. This guy looked sharp. I wish he was on our QB roster.

Jake D. Appears to be washed up but maybe new scenery with Holgrim will jump start him.

Campbell without a doubt an upgrade over TE. Has lots of excuses. The stats don't lie. Bills should have traded for him.

Cassel looked great in NE. I would take him over TE just based on that performance.

Cutler comment doesn't even require a response. Shouldn't even be on your list.

Bradford. How many of us would want him on our team right now? Answer, everyone but you.

Our QB situation is one of the worst in the league. Perhaps not the worst but bottom feeders for sure.

I am not sold on Williams. You talk as though he is a pro bowler. He is adequate at best. Struod looks to be in better shape but I haven't been exactly wowed by his performance this preseason. So if you idea of reenergized is loosing weight than your correct. Who cares if Edwards started for the Ravens. Did you forget he has a suspect neck? I do like the way he has played this preseason. I haven't been impressed by Troup or Carrington. Then again they are young and should be given time to prove themselves. But, to this point they are back ups with something to prove.

I have watched every game. We all see things differently. Your opinion is appreciated (with valid points) your tone, condescending remarks, and name calling isn't.

Sadly, this is the kind of post I would have written months ago. I have since changed my behavior thanks to the many posters here. Maybe, you can take this advice and do the same.

I agree with you that the attacking style of post is annoying but that is as far as i agree with you. I know some here drink the Kool aid but some here also view the Bills from a glass half empty perspective. If the previevious post didn't attack his points were spot on! I would not touch Bradford even as a developmental prospect. The ONLY QB of value in this draft was Tebow as risky as his throwing motion is. I think Levi many end up being the second best QB taken in this past draft. I think our QB situtation is middling and servicable. If the o-line over achieves Edwards may suprize you with 20-25 TD's. Remember what Spiller bring to the table as a receiver.

Now as far as the D-line is concerned Williams was a Pro Bowl alternate last year. Even in the 3/4 he is a good player far above average. I think the only really big question on Defense is the LB corps. IF THEY PERFORM THIS WILL BE A TOP 10 D!If not we will be a lower tier D.

I think the season will shed some light or cast a shadow on our situation but the largest overwhelming factor that is in our benefit is our health. This team is considerably healthier going into the season than it was during the whole Dick Jauron Era. Don't under estimate how much of a factor health is in terms of success in the NFL.

Are you a Dolphin's fan? These grades are way too low. IMO

Normally you and I agree on many things, the current QB situation is not one of them.

You clearly are basing your opinion past years performances without taking into account how much influence Chan Gailey will have on his new offense vs Idiots like Dick Jauron and Turk Schonert. I liked AVP but he wasn't ready to bear the full load of QB coach- OC game planning and play calling.

At first I wasn't sold on Gailey as being 'the guy" needed to turn this team around, now after that the "you dog one of us, you dog all of us" incident and the offensive performance of the last 3 preseason games I'm starting to buy into his approach, I like the guy and want him to succeed.

I'm not the huge TE fan like dog is, although I do acknowledge that he is very capable of running Gaileys offense as his college background was a "WCO" system and Gaileys is very similar in terms of getting the ball out very quickly. Edwards is smart, has a very quick release and is very accurate, very very important qualities to have in this new offense. If he has a fault its that he is susceptibility to injury, and in Jaurons offense he was constantly getting hammered in that moronic Mike Martz passing scheme.

You need to take into consideration how much has changed on the offense, "play calling"- "Scheme"- "Coaching", and although I'm still not very happy about the Bills O line- WR-TE situation... after watching Edwards play in the last 3 preseason games I'm open to the idea that Gailey can get by with what he has to work with.

The NFL football analysts are all basing their opinions of the Bills QB's based on last seasons performance... no reason for us Bills fans do that when we have already seen improvement, Edwards with a 102.7 - Fitz 110.4 QB rating shows me they have improved. Now lets see that same performance in the regular season and I'm certain that many opinions here and around the NFL will change.

Rabbit, you could very well be correct and I hope you are correct. I agree the previous coaching staff hasn't helped TE progress and certainly hampered his preformance. It is hard to argue otherwise. Additionally, IMHO, TE has preformed until Gailey's new offensive system. It looks very encouraging. However, I just don't know if TE is strong enough physically and mentally to handle adversity. I don't think he will be able to overcome the shortcomings of our OL and WR's. I seriously have my doubts. I don't think it is anything Galiey can teach. I think it is something you have or you don't. Perhaps, I am reading way too much into the situation. Currently, I think it isn't unreasonable to say the our QB roster is in the lower level of the NFL. Your point is well taken and perhaps as the season goes on TE and Galiey can prove us doubtors wrong. So far, he has proved me wrong. I want to see it happen when it really counts. Time will tell...

What are you basing these grades on? The past coaching staff/philosophy and 4 meaningless pre-season games. Wait a few weeks to see how they perform and stop acting like you know more than an NFL front office and coaching staff.

Saying they have the worst QB situation is purley based on past history - an a s s hole head coach, an injury riddled O-line, and an offensive coordinator fit for a high school team. I'm sure you took this into account when you considered your "grades". Give me a break.

Right on the money! And with those dorks running the show before this team showed better grades than Ben gives them credit for now. Last year they were a few coaching blunders from winning 3 more games. Lets give them more credit untill they prove otherwise. I think the Bills supprise people that grade them this low by being a contender.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I would think there's an expectation to have an informed opinion and that people wouldn't just be flat out nasty.

I think just about all of us would be very surprised if the team was a playoff contender. However, this group, including the coaches and front office, deserves a chance. Training camp and preseason was much better than in past years. There's still holes on the roster and they need more good players but it appears that they are starting to add some good players. They may have added some good players from the draft. The front office may have found some diamonds in the rough in David Nelson, Donald Jones and Antonio Coleman. Are they making the all rookie team? No, but at least they have some talent and let's face it, if they can find 1-2 UFAs per year that can contribute and eventually be starters, that's a winning formula (theproverbial "value picks").

The coaching staff seems to know what they are doing. They ran a rigorous camp, the team, while still lacking at some positions, looks like an NFL team and seems prepared. One of the things that I thought was most encouraging was howw they ran the 2 minute drill vs. the Colts. Admit it: how many times in the Jauron and Mularkey eras were you either yelling at the TV or in the stadium for them to hurry up to get to the line or judiciously use a timeout? I know it's only the preseason, but they were crisp, moved quickly and with purpose, and made good use of the clock. That's a great sign of discipline.

I'm no pollyanna, I know the season is going to be rough, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Given that they kept 22 players on offense and 28 on defense the team is admitting that their talent on offense wasn't NFL caliber. I expect them to pick up at least 2 players off waivers and a LB and a DB will be cut. I would also expect them to only name 5 or 6 to the practice squad. If they do pick up a couple players and cut two I bet they cut 2 that are PS eligible, it will be easier to get them through after other teams have their roster set. That's being pretty smart.

I have two kids, ages 8 and 6 and they're both Bills fans already. My 8 year old has gone to games with me the last two seasons and my 6 year old is going for the first time to the Miami game (thankfully, not too many crazies around my seats). We go to training camp every year (my daughter has gone for 5 years). The team has been bad their whole lives but it is so neat to see their innocent optimism. The morning after the Colts preseason game, my daughter woke up and the first thing she asked was "how did the Bills do?" When I told her they won, she said, "maybe they're going to be pretty good this year (she knows the Colts played in the Super Bowl last year)." Their innocent optimism has frankly helped me hang in there with the team and in some respects re-invigorated me in following the team. It has made me think about the years going to the games with my dad and watching some bad Bills teams but also the thrills watching OJ and the team getting better for a brief while.

Opinionated is nice, well thought out and informed opinions are great and what we should be shooting for. It's a new season, everyone is 0-0 and let the games begin.

How about saying this? If it's arguable, argue it - with facts and logic. Defend your position.

Why is the Bills QB situation worse than Tampa Bay (Freeman), Detroit (Stafford), Arizona (Anderson) and Cleveland (Delhomme)?

If you wish to make an argument that Trent got benched therefore he must suck forever, be prepared to explain the success of other benched QBs in a different season with a different coach or a different team and why this is uniquely bad. Be prepared to argue which QBs in the league could have been successful behind Bill's OL last year with the playcalling used.

I don't think anyone here wants to argue that Trent is a top-10 QB or is going to the Pro bowl.

I don't get all the negative hyperbole either. THE worst QB situation in the NFL?

Please explain why Bills QB situation is worse than a team whose starter threw 3 TD and 10 INT last year for a rating of 42.1

What happens to StL if Bradford goes down or can't live up to expectations behind a durn shaky line?

Let's go.

If you can't -- then how are you different from all the wanna-be sports journalist college punks and even professional sports writers who feel no obligation to study the game, just spew out the latest fashion in follow-the-leader form?

See, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Torbor can arguably be called a journeyman backup, a solid one from well-coached teams with good D.

Andra Davis? How many games has he started in his career? How many did he start last year? Where did his team last year finish?

All this info is online at pro-football-reference, that's where I'm coming from. Where are you coming from?

The second coming of Bisquit is not playing LB for the Bills this year. Mitchell is capable of being a stud. Poz hasn't had decent schemes or coaching.

The acquisition of two solid vets and some hungry rookies in the depth chart should improve the LB play if the starters can stay healthy.

There is some talent on this offense, but that passing attack is just plain awful.

And you base the awful passing attack statement on....???? Last year's team? Preseason? Everyone else says it so it may be true?

Let's go, Basher Boy. You say "arguably", so....bring out some facts, make a good case for your grades.

Ben -- your post is certainly a lightning rod. I see you just joined the board a little over a month ago. What's your history? Been around for years but never posted? Just found TSW recently?

Not suggesting anything with these questions -- simply curious.

The OP is entitled to his opinion now matter how lame it is...

QB's Edwards can get the job done and has show that in many games in the past under Jauron, when he wasn't running for his life or getting concussed. The problem with the Bills QB's hasn't been their own doing, it was playing for a moron who didn't know a lick about the offense in DJ, and the inexperienced OC's he hired, both Schonert and AVP were rookies at their jobs. The entire offense has already shown vast improvements in play calling, game planning and scheme.

Chan Gailey has already show in this last game that the QB can get the ball to the receiver on a deep pass in 3 seconds, something that NEVER happened under Jauron and his staff of clowns who used to call 5-7 step drops that would get the QB killed.

RB's The Bills don't have AP or Chris Johnson, very true... but then the Titans and Vikings don't have THREE really good backs either. The days of only one good back have faded and most teams now have two or more, the Bills have two pro bowlers plus a rookie RB who many are saying is the best player in this years draft. The Bills could have the premier RB corps in the NFL.

WR's Granted the Bills receiver corps is somewhat lacking for a dominate blocking & a pass catching tight end and 2nd receiver opposite Lee Evans. Roscoe Parrish has shown marked improvement in Gaileys offense for the slot. I wouldn't give them a D just yet, not with a play maker like Evans on the field

O line The OP gave the Bills O line a C, which IMO is greatly over rating this starting unit. If not for the two decent guards this would undoubtedly be the worst O line in the NFL, and perhaps still might be. Chan Gailey has already shown that he can set up an offense that has the QB releasing the ball in 3 seconds or under, thus hiding the fact that both tackles are lacking. This team will still have trouble stopping Kris Jenkins- Vince Wolfolk up the middle with the current center, not going to be able to hide that position. Imagine if this team had two really good experienced tackles and a center... the offense would be unstoppable.

Grading the team before they have even played a full seasonal game is kind of foolish and I acknowledge that fact, I'm just going by what I noticed from the players in the preseason games. The Bills could bolster some areas from the waiver wire, like TE-OT-WR . I wouldn't be upset if the Bills brought in TJ whosyourmomma, even tho he is a slot WR. Let Roscoe and Evans run deep go routes and get TJ the ball underneath. That may help hide the fact the Bills don't have a great tight end

Agree or disagree, this is the sort of post I really like to see. You state your opinion but put some basis for it. In general I agree with you.

I think you understate the dire situation at TE a bit. On receivers, that comes down to "trust the coach". Gailey brought in a veteran backup off a passing powerhouse team and gave him a fair shot, looked pretty good to me -- Gailey says the homeboy and rookies outplayed him -- I'll reserve judgement and wait to see. Show me!

I'm with you, I think a quick-release gameplan can help make a line look better but our line does still scare me. I wish we'd bring in more solid vets for backup.

A number of perennial winning teams do just what the Bills seem to be planning to do - go for no-name "sleepers" who become stars under a good system.

I think the real issue with the Bills is that the FO and coaches have sucked for so long, we as fans completely lack faith in their personnel judgment and ability to game-plan and coach to get the most out of their players. That's really the crux of the matter - has that changed, or hasn't it? We'll see.

Has our roster ever looked worse than this?

OH, yeah. Looked worse than this in winning seasons, too.

New to Bills fandom, aintcha?

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I would think there's an expectation to have an informed opinion and that people wouldn't just be flat out nasty.

<...>

Opinionated is nice, well thought out and informed opinions are great and what we should be shooting for. It's a new season, everyone is 0-0 and let the games begin.

+1 :thumbsup:

I can read a well-thought opinion and disagree, but see the point.

Mindless slamming and bashing without any basis explained, well .. we got SI And ESPN for that :devil:

Not my post you're responding to, but I guess I'm not seeing the name-calling of the poster?

It's his opinion that the post is ignorant, that's different from calling the poster an idiot or ignorant? though I guess maybe implied.

Then again, you may feel the same way about my post if you like? (angry, condescending, uncredible?)

Maybe I'm missing a distinction it's OK here to call our team and players names like worst, awful, least talented etc without offering any evidence to back it up,

but not OK to call a poster out on that sort of behavior, that's name-calling the poster?

I haven't posted here much in the past (too discouraged by recent Bills play), still trying to figure out the board.

In a nutshell, why I find mpl's post more creditable is at least he's offering some basis for his opinion.

One can agree or disagree with that basis, but it's not just knee-jerk "worst" "awful" etc etc we can go to ESPN or bleacher report to hear about.

He's managed mediocre stats with an injury-riddled line on a poorly coached team.

That's not commendable, but it's not "worst in the league" without any more to be said either.

Not sure I'm with you on Anderson. He had an OK year in 2007, winning team - only 56% completions and 19 INT's? (uncertain)

If I were a 'Zona fan I'd be nervous. Warner had the "IT" factor and 'Zona was riding on that IMO.

Cassel, I think is Exhibit A for the importance of the coaching and the system to many QB's success

(and why there's hope for TE if the OL comes through and receivers "click" in a better game plan).

Delhomme -- he may be rejuvenated by the Browns, sure, or maybe not. Just like TE may be revived by Gailey, or maybe not.

I wouldn't take any of them over our QB right now, but that's just me.

There are plenty of other QBs I'd love to have on paper.

On paper, Brohm should be better than TE - he was something in L'ville

Football not played on paper.

I do agree there are a lot of QB on mpl's list I'd rather have in B'lo, he also missed (IMO) a couple of stinkers.

I think there are 10 or so QB in the league who are arguably stars, starters for anyone anytime.

There are another 15 or so who are, IMO, situational - put them in the right place, with the right cast around them, they're fine.

Put them in QB Hell, they burn. Then there are 4-5 who seem to be "upgrade needed".

I'd put TE in the "situational" category. You'd put him in the "upgrade needed", it seems. We differ. That's cool.

But it's not unarguable either way.

Cheers!