Final Roster: Positional Grades

Quarterbacks: D-

They are all backups. Theres not a team in the NFL who would start any of them.

Running Backs: A

I think people forgot how good Marshawn can be. Freddy is a way above average RB. Spiller has greatness written all over him.

Offensive Line: C-

The Tackles are awful. Wood and Levitre look like they can play. Hangartner=cheap journeymen who no one wanted and typical Bills C.

Tight Ends: Incomplete

Injuries have ravaged this group. Stupar is an easy guy to root for but he's average. I gotta think Nix is working the waiver wire.

Wide Receivers: C

Lee Evans is a solid player who gets open on deep patterns as good as anyone in the NFL. After that, it's a wait and see. Not sold on Roscoe yet.

Defensive Line: Solid B

Williams is an All Pro in a 1 gap defense and thats how the Bills have been using him at NT which is unique. I like the depth and the size. One of the more promising untis.

Linebackers: D-

Poz's achillies heal is taking on and shedding blocks and that's what you need to do in the 3-4. Davis is servicable. The OLB's are easily the worst group in the NFL. No impact, no pass rush, no players. A bunch of guys trying to transition to a position and it's hopeless. No depth. Worst LB's in the league.

Cornerbacks: B

I think Bills fans always overrate talent because it's been a while since we've seen truly great players ( See Spiller). Good group who aren't afraid to hit and are versatile on Special Teams.

Safeties: B+

Curious to see how Byrd rebounds. DW is who he is, jack of all trades and a master of none. Great depth and versatlilty.

Overall Team Grade: C-

I think the offense will be good and somewhat exciting to watch. The Bills drafted CJ with a plan and after watching the Bengals game I'm convinced, he will be a star in this league. The Oline might get Trent killed. Gailey is creative and will keep Defenses on their toes all season long. Mark my words, you will see the flexbone used this year. However, the Defense will be painful to watch. The achillies heal is the LB's. Pass rush will be non existent without bringing the house which will lead to big plays by opponents, they won't get a sniff of opposing QB's.

Outlook: IncompleteThis team is has an odd mix of very good units (RB's,DL, Secondary) and awful/below average units (QBs, Oline and LBs). Until the Bills draft a real QB, I can't get excited about the future. I do like Gailey more than I ever expected though. This is not negative, this is what I see. Flame away....

This is the one I probably agree with the most.

In response to people hating on my CB grades, I think many of you just think the Bills have good corners because the Bills media likes to say they have good corners, and are not able to objectively evaluate talent.

McGee is a solid player. He's not an elite corner but any team would be happy to have him on their roster. He's also about to hit 30.

Florence is a serviceable nickel back, who is also about to hit 30.

The rest of them have combined for only four career interceptions.

McKelvin might break out this year, but so far has been a huge bust. Compare what he has accomplished in the league to Rodgers-Cromartie (who we should have taken instead). Youboty is complete garbage, and Corner is not much better.

So basically you have a solid corner and a decent nickelback at the end of their careers, and nothing else.

Grade: C+

Yeah, but inteceptions don't mean anything. I mean, Byrd had how many last year? And you aren't sold on him, so I guess there is some other think to measure DBs by your standard to show they the "real deal." Because it looks like byrd, intception monster and ROTY candidate doesn't seem to be the real deal to you... so lord knows who is.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to people hating on my CB grades, I think many of you just think the Bills have good corners because the Bills media likes to say they have good corners, and are not able to objectively evaluate talent.

McGee is a solid player. He's not an elite corner but any team would be happy to have him on their roster. He's also about to hit 30.

McKelvin might break out this year, but so far has been a huge bust. Compare what he has accomplished in the league to Rodgers-Cromartie (who we should have taken instead). Youboty is complete garbage, and Corner is not much better.

So basically you have a solid corner and a decent nickelback at the end of their careers, and nothing else.

After the season he put in last year I wouldn't label Florence as a "serviceable nickel back". Florence should shine playing more man coverage, and he would be solid #2 CB on many teams in the league. I wouldn't call McKelvin a huge bust, at the least he's been a serviceable #2 when given the chance. McKelvin has all the physical tools to succeed, and hopefully with more reps comes less mental breakdowns.

Using comparisons from the same draft as way to make your point is pretty weak too. By that logic Jonathan Stewart is also a bust because he's not Chris Johnson...who was taken later in the draft ala Rodgers Cromartie.

Reggie Corner is also a serviceable nickel, however I don't think he is right for our new D. He has shown enough these past two seasons to warrant being on this team. However, I don't believe our new D will allow him to shine, as he operates better playing off his man in a zone.

Not to mention, your ratings seem like they aren't taking into account where each player sits on the depth chart. Yea, every team would love to have four #1 CBs, but that's not gonna happen. If you were to compare McKelvin to other nickel CBs around the league you would be hard pressed to find 5 who are better.

Hold on now, are you judging the Bills positioning for this year, or the future? For this year, there's no reason to think McGee or Florence are about to hit a wall and slow down all of a sudden. If you're talking about positioning for the future, you should give the Bills more credit for their youth elsewhere (i.e. Byrd, McKelvin, O-line).

It's a crap shoot to guess at the future, so I'd recommend sticking with the present, when McGeee and Florence are playing very well (minus a bad preseason game against the Colts for Florence).

Not much, except "wow, you sure like to blather in ignorance!"

QB situations I wouldn't trade with just based on what Edwards has already done in the past:

Arizona - Warner's gone - Cleveland castoff Derek Anderson is it

Jets - Sanchez and his 63.0 rating is on his way to being known as Leinart East, although Brunell might come in and save this mess for a year

Carolina - Matt Moore or Clausen - wooh boy

Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman - QB rating 59.8 last year - but you say would trade with them - wow.

Cleveland - Jake DelHomme - incredible that Freeman's rating was not the lowest - how does a veteran with a rating of 59.4 get a new job?

Oakland - Campbell is going to implode - not all his fault though - he's the only one I'm being a little unfair to

KC - Cassell's claim to fame - he played well in NE throwing to Moss and Welker. He had a 69.9 rating w/o them last year.

Chicago - Cutler does a lot out there - mostly for the other team - he'll be gone next year

Rams - they have their top rookie, so who knows - if he's not the real deal they'll get to try again next year

I happen to think Gailey's worth a lot and Edwards will continue to shine as he has in the preseason - easily middle of the pack by season's end, but I don't need that to prove your statement's silly - what Edwards did using Jauron's crappy offensive schemes was still enough to be far from the worst.

Our backups aren't the worst - or would you rather trade with Pittsburgh for the first four weeks?

You're skeptical abotu Byrd because...?

Uhm... You've never watched him play?

OR MAYBE: You don't know that he put up the same kinds of INT numbers all through college, so last season really wasn't a fluke?

You're only real arguments here are that you want to say they suck - even in positions where clearly they don't - silly me responding to a troll.

Williams is a hell of a lot better than serviceable. Stroud is clearly reenergized. Dwan Edwards started for the Ravens last year, and has looked very good this preseason. Troup and Carrington have both looked good as rookie depth.

Again - have you watched any games, or are you just getting your ideas from Marshall Faulk and company?

Great post.

I think people might be skeptical about Jairus Byrd for a couple reasons. First off, he missed a third of the season due to injury. Combine that with missing all of the pre-season due to injury, and you have reason to be concerned. Second, from watching the games it really seemed like a bunch of the interceptions that he made were served up on a platter. Granted, you need to "be in the right place at the right time", but some could argue that he might have gotten unusually lucky. It's obviously too early to say for sure about either of these things, but its also too early to say that they aren't causes for concern. Hence, the skepticism and desire for many to see him have another solid campaign and solidify himself as "the real deal".

Quarterbacks: F

The Bills have arguably THE worst quarterback situation in the NFL. What more is there to say?

Running Backs: B+

While the Bills don't have one of the marquee backs in the league, they have a talented stable of backs that many teams would be happy with.

Offensive Line: C

The young guards look good, the tackles are way below average.

Tight Ends: F

Foschi and Stupar are terrible. Nelson is suspended, a mediocre receiver, and a liability in the run game.

Wide Receivers: D

Lee Evans is a solid player. He would make a nice number 2 on a lot of teams. Everyone else would fail to make the roster on a team with a good offense.

Defensive Line: C+

Williams is serviceable, Stroud has a little left in the tank, and things are dicey beyond that.

Linebackers: D-

Poz will never live up to expectations, Mitchell is aging, and the rest are journeyman backup caliber.

Cornerbacks: C+

McGee is solid, Florence is not too bad for a nickel/dime guy. McKelvin has done nothing to warrant the high draft choice as of yet.

Safeties: B

Stong unit on the whole, good depth. I may have graded them higher but I'm skeptical that Byrd is the real deal.

Overall Team Grade: D

There is some talent on this offense, but that passing attack is just plain awful. In a league that favors the passing attack more and more every year, its going to be hard for the Bills to win many games with the meager production to be expected from their passing game. The defense has some talent as well, but the switch to 3-4 highlights the linebackers who are unfortunately the weak link of the defense.

Dude what are you thinking???? How can one say this stuff and mean it?

1. Trent isn't a great qb, but his stats are better than henne's and sanchez's (the experts say no because he had the worst OC in the NFL last year).

2. Eat your words when CJ and company explode and have great gains ( we were 16th last year w/ a bad o-line)

3. Might agree w/ o-line only because they must prove themselves, but I feel they will improve because they are more experienced.

4. Keep reading buddy Foschi isn't on the team anymore!!!! Do see them as average at best though.

5. Lee is aproven player and a #1 on most teams, Buffalo never had a coach that ever knew how to use Parrish in a slot....

6. The defense is by far very questionable, but we haven't seen them yet in a 3-4 to even grade them.. ( this makes me think you live in Bristol CT, ESPN guy huh?)

7. Poz is a beast when healthy and will show it in a 3-4... Just to let you know the other guy is named Davis, he's not a probowler, but pretty good....

8. I know 28 int's last year is a c+???? We have two of the best in the business... These guys are good!

9. Our safeties are extremely good and dangerous. They go hand in hand with #8..

10. I guess special teams don't count in the NFL either or are the Bills so bad they get held back????? Info, we may lose a step or two, but will have one of the best return teams in the NFL both kickoff and punts. Recovery will be missed a bit. Lets not talk about FG's or punt averages... One of the best in the NFL

My grades:

Quarterbacks: D

Trent Edwards, as one poster has written, has shown "flashes of competence". This pretty much sums it up for me. When your best quarterback looks competent every once in a while, you are in trouble. Big trouble. This is the most important position on the team, and yet you would have to scrape to find TWO other teams who might trade their quarterback for Trent Edwards. Unacceptable. Not just below average, WAY below average.

Running Backs: B+

The Bills have a very much above average stable of NFL-caliber running backs. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Lynch and Jackson are elite NFL running backs - they put up solid, middle of the road numbers in terms of yards and touchdowns. Average to slightly above average between the two of them, but adding C.J. Spiller puts this unit over the top and makes them the strength of the team. Spiller could be special, if he finds a way not to be consistently hurt and have his carries limited with some sort of modified "Joba Rules".

Offensive Line: D+

We all hope that Levitre and Wood become the backbone of this offensive line. Wood comes off a devastating leg injury that killed his rookie season, so he is essentially a red-shirt freshman this year. Levitre struggled at first, and played more solidly as the season progressed. There is reason to be cautiously optimistic about these two. Unfortunately, they are guards and not the ultra-super-essential tackles that sets the average lines apart from the elite. Our tackles are not good. Everyone on earth knew that the Bills two big needs in the offseason were quarterback and offensive tackle, and neither were addressed. So, we have one unproven (well, he has proven to be pretty darn not great) left tackle and a journeyman castoff at right tackle. Ouch. Our center, while not a total liability, isn't anywhere near above average. By all accounts, the line and quarterback play are the weaknesses of the team. Unfortunately, the line nerfs the Running Backs as well, who might all be superstar A+ players behind a competent group up front.

Wide Receivers: C-

Lee Evans, while not nearly an elite NFL receiver, is a solid player and would make most rosters as a #2 receiver (and all of them at #3). He is above average, for sure. Maybe he'd be Jerry Rice behind Joe Montana, or maybe Jerry Rice would have been Jerry Rice anywhere. Nobody knows, but we know for sure that Lee Evans puts up yearly productivity in the range of below average for a #1, but well above average overall. The cult favorite Steve Johnson is an absolutely unproven commodity, who didn't even register a blip during preseason. This is troubling. Roscoe Parrish is being heralded as the second coming of who-knows-what, but he only made a couple catches in the preseason and has gotten some lip service that indicates that he might be used more. It seems highly unlikely that he'll turn out to be a superstar so many years into his career. David Nelson has showed the ability to make catches in the preseason. We all hope he turns into an NFL force, but it is unlikely that a rookie NFL receiver, let alone an undrafted one, will have anything more than an average season. It's a bit rough out there at WR, as the majority of NFL teams can field 3 receivers that are much more proven than ours.

Tight Ends: D

Very, very, very far below average. With all of the good tight ends out there (Gates, Witten, Celek, Finley, Davis, Clark, Gonzales, etc. etc. etc.), it is difficult to believe that the Bills can never find a tight end that can play. Endlessly injured and consistently underwhelming is the motto of this part of the team. And now we can throw in substance abuser into the mix of negative adjectives to describe Bills tight ends. Maybe Nelson will turn out to be ok, but we certainly can't bet on it. Stupar is a good story, but he moves at the speed of sloth and could never be confused for a playmaker. Whatever other waiver wire scrubs they bring into the mix will be more of the same. Not NFL competitive at this position.

Defensive Line: C

Average might be a stretch for this unit, but it isn't outside of the realm of possibility and I'm feeling optimistic about this group. Kyle Williams is underrated, though he isn't a consistently dominating force. Above average, definitely. Stroud is at the end of his road, but can hopefully give us one or two more seasons that approximate average. He probably wasn't even average last year for starting defensive linemen, but he slimmed down and could play better. Dwan Edwards is also an average player, with a good pedigree coming from Baltimore. He did play next to a a legitimate dominating force in Ngata, so hopefully we will find that wasn't what opened up things for him to succeed. After that, we have to rely on rookies for our upside, and I saw limited flashes from Troupe and Carrington. They won't see the field or contribute enough this year to pull the D-Line beyond mediocre, middle of the road, average, C.

Linebackers: D

Unfortunately, the switch to the 3-4 mandates that our linebacker corps be the dominant unit on defense. And they aren't. Not even close. This collection of cobbled-together third rate players will, in my opinion, prove to be the downfall of the team this year. Even in preseason teams could run wild on this defense, and misdirection plays befuddled our linebackers. Though Steve Tasker would try to paint a happy picture calling them a fast-flow pursuing group, it is clear that they are physically and mentally over-matched. The Bills defense was historically futile in stopping the run last year, and the switch to the 3-4 and its emphasis on strong nose tackle and linebacker play should make things worse in the short term. Long term, we can hope that someone from this rag-tag bunch steps up. Posluszny gets controlled at the point of attack and has brittle bones, but is still young enough to develop into a competent player.

Secondary: B+

While I'm still not sold that this unit is among the best in the NFL (statistically #2 in yards allowed via pass last year), they are certainly the strength of the team (with the running backs). I have a sinking feeling that the yards allowed statistic was directly related to the abysmal performance of the team vs. the run, but the players in the secondary still figure to be above average. McGee is aging, but is a solid #1/#2 cornerback in the NFL. He would make every team's roster, and has been a solid contributor throughout his career. He has become injury-plagued of late, but we can hope that will not continue this year. Drayton Florence was a solid pick-up for the Bills, and he is a competent NFL caliber cornerback. He even seems to have a strong passion for the team and winning, which is a rarity among the majority of the flat-liners that make up the rest of the team. McKelvin is faced with a make-it or break-it year, as he has been pretty much a bust thusfar and has even been beaten out for the #2 job by a free agent cast-off. That is a very bad sign for player picked so early in the draft. Compared with Rodgers-Cromartie, he has been a huge letdown, but there is still optimism that the light bulb may go on this year. Youboty and Corner are marginal depth, and may be average at best league-wide (not that this is terrible for your 4th and 5th corners). Byrd has the potential to be great, and while skeptics can point to fears of injury-proneness and the chance that several of his interceptions may have been opportunistic, he is one of the brighter spots on the team moving forward and could be a stud.

Special Teams: C-

Might even be giving them the benefit of the doubt here, especially in light of the terrible job that the unit has done on kick and punt coverage in the preseason. Though Moorman has been on a slight decline, he is still solid to above average, and Lindell is a dependable kicker who brings the average up as well. I fear that we will miss Bobby April's stewardship of this unit, as it may give up a ton of big plays throughout the season.

Overall Rating: C-/D+

My biggest fear is that the Bills will continue their middling, mediocre ways and finish 5-10 to 7-9 this year, which I believe is certainly possible. Anything better than that would be a huge stretch, and I'm afraid that the team will play hard for their new coaches and find a way to win a few games that they shouldn't. We have a long road to travel before the talent stockpiles are refreshed enough to compete consistently with the better teams in football. And, we need a quarterback in order to have a hope at long-term success. Final prediction: 4-12.

Edited by akm0404

Christ, are you kidding me? Its opinions that make any board great. And its condescending asses like you that make this board borderline unreadable. You signed up before other people. Congrats, get over it. This is as refreshing and realistic of post as I've seen in a long while. Bowery4, I can not imagine what kind of human being you are. If you are stupid enough to be spoon fed fluff stories and have unwarranted hope in a team that has not improved over the last 10 years, then you are the one that should be ignored. This post is REALITY.

:thumbsup: