Schobel perhaps not entirely retired

Beerball

I think he's still conflicted about playing because of the grind, and still leaning towards retirement. The stuff about him retiring after playing for a losing team for so long is bunk, since if that was a major factor in wanting to retire, he'd have jumped at the chance to play for the Texans, who had a winning record last year and are on the cusp of making the playoffs. The Texans apparently are desperate to add him, so that's only prolonging things.

Yeah, if he can get a few hundred thou out of the Texans, good for him. I do think though, like Farve, his biggest thing was he wanted no part of Training camp.

Hard to see how he could show up with no off season work at all and arrive on their doorstep, put on his jock, pads and new uniform, snap his chin strap and be an effective player for them on week one. Granted, being a DE, he'd be able to grasp the terminology and system better than if he were an OLineman.

Agreed he just wanted to spend less time at camp and practice. But when you've been doing it that long it becomes second nature and not needing all that extra banging, I think you're a lot more valuable player with fresh legs and less practice. A guy who's shown that much over that many years has earned the right to miss most of camp and coast practices, as long as he's still bringing it on the field. And there's never been any doubt about Schobel's willingness to bring it on the field.

I don't disagree with the Bills cutting him because he's not a good fit for where this franchise is right now. But if I've got a contending team that's not sporting All-Pro DE's, I'm on the phone with Schobel offering him a bag of money and a friendly schedule about 5 minutes after he's become a free man.

that is sooo unimpressive

shoebel belongs in a box or on a belt, he is a tool.

This tripe says waaaayyyyy more about you than it does about Schoebel.

Aaron Schobel = Brett Farve, Jr.

Comparing Schobel to Favre is a joke.

Hamlet Schobel has played nine seasons and 128 games----at DE.

Favre has played for 19 years and 285 games (none missed in 17 years) and has taken a million more big hits than Schobel has ever dished out.

They couldn't be more dissimilar in their value. Far better DEs than Schobel have played longer and showed up to preseason every year.

Comparing Schobel to Favre is a joke.

Hamlet Schobel has played nine seasons and 128 games----at DE.

Favre has played for 19 years and 285 games (none missed in 17 years) and has taken a million more big hits than Schobel has ever dished out.

They couldn't be more dissimilar in their value. Far better DEs than Schobel have played longer and showed up to preseason every year.

I'm sorry, Simon, we respectfully disagree, and I agree with this.

Fine if he's gotten banged up a lot. Save the drama for people who care, and either come play, or don't. The insane pressure and physical commitment comes with a very high price tag. We're talking about a guy who walked away from $6MM plus, here, to go play with some other team. I respect his situation, and respect the difficulty of the decision, but as a Bills fan I don't need to cheer on his parade of wishy-washiness.

He's done.

Pretty good interview. It's great that he said what he did about Buffalo. I like Schobel and always did. I really didn't think he would quit and I know he would have played for the Bills if they let him not practice one day. He told them he would. I guess I understand why Gailey did what he did, but I think way too many fans just didn't understand Schobel. He wasn't at all being a diva or a jerk, I always thought he was genuinely conflcited. He still is, from that article. He says "I think I'm done", not "I'm done."

Yeah, if he can get a few hundred thou out of the Texans, good for him. I do think though, like Farve, his biggest thing was he wanted no part of Training camp.

Hard to see how he could show up with no off season work at all and arrive on their doorstep, put on his jock, pads and new uniform, snap his chin strap and be an effective player for them on week one. Granted, being a DE, he'd be able to grasp the terminology and system better than if he were an OLineman.

IIRC, one of the Texans DE or LB position coach either used to coach for the Bills and/or they run the same system. As for AS, I think he was vastly overpaid and it sucked that he didn't have much for a team around him, but I wish him the best.

Lawyer Milloy suited up for us several seasons ago on about 4 days notice. It can be done.

This kind of scenario only further cements in most peoples' minds the need to reduce the preseason. So many of these players think they don't need training camp or preseason? OK --- make it so.

Edited by UConn James

I would be the first in line to thank Aaron Schobel and congratulate him on a great career. Was he always a game changer? No. Was he ever the best DE in the league? No.

All the guy ever did, was show up, do his job and keep his mouth shut on one of the worst franchises in the league for a whole decade! The only time he ever spoke up was questioning the leadership on the team at the beginning of last season, which obviously needed to be said and no one questioned him for it. When he needed to improve in the run game, he did it. He was one of the few bright spots on otherwise terrible teams and he did it all without dancing around like a moron and begging for attention after routine plays like the rest of the league so they can make it on the sports center highlight reels.

Each year he made it into the Pro Bowl, he didn't make it in because of fan voting because he wasn't one of the more popular players in the league as a result of his low key nature. He made it in because the players and coaches voted him in. Who else would know which players are more deserving?

He wasn't the most gifted athlete in the world. He had good speed and a good first step. He wasn't the biggest or the strongest guy, but he went out every game and every play and played the position to the absolute best of his ability, which is all you can ask the guy to do, and it was still good enough to be one of the best in the league.

I have tremendous respect for the way he played the game and the way he handled playing for a terrible franchise.