Let me get this straight; they're going to bench Spiller?

eschej13

How does CJ Spiller not enter this season as the starting running back? He was the 9th pick in the draft, he's a match-up nightmare for defenses, he's better than expected between the tackles. He should be starting games and Jackson/Lynch should be coming in later to pound it home. Don't get me wrong, the load should be divided, but don't we want the ball in this guy's hands as much as possible?

I'm very interested to see what Gailey does when he has the three back healthy. He's going to have some crazy formations!

Or vice versa, let the other two wear down the D early, and allow him to break it open late in the game. Odds are they'll split the carries 3 ways and Spiller will get additional touches returning kicks and in the passing game.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the game last night I was discussing this with my son who is a gigantic Spiller fan, and vehimently disagreed with me when I said Spiller should be the second or third Bills RB to see the field. He thought (like the OP) that Spiller should be the starting RB. What converted him to my way of thinking was I mentioned if this is what he can do against a defense with "fresh" legs .... imagine what he could do if he was "fresh" and the defense was bashed for a quarter or two by Jackson/Lynch/Bell.

I'm not saying Spiller deserves to be second/third string based on ability ... I'm just saying we have four good running backs that are capable of starting, and of the four Spiller has the best chance of being an "electric" game controlling RB running against a defense that has been worn down a half step, but carrying the lions share of the load may be difficult because of his physical build.

There is a difference between starting and being a workhorse RB. IMO, they should start him and play him all game and still only give him 12 carries and 5 passes. A top WR plays every play and only gets 6-10 plays to him a game. With Spiller on the field, other teams have to account for him. Split him out, put him in motion, fake it to him and throw to Lynch or Jackson like they did McIntyre. There are all kinds of stuff to do with him.

Listening to the game last night I was discussing this with my son who is a gigantic Spiller fan, and vehimently disagreed with me when I said Spiller should be the second or third Bills RB to see the field. He thought (like the OP) that Spiller should be the starting RB. What converted him to my way of thinking was I mentioned if this is what he can do against a defense with "fresh" legs .... imagine what he could do if he was "fresh" and the defense was bashed for a quarter or two by Jackson/Lynch/Bell.

I'm not saying Spiller deserves to be second/third string based on ability ... I'm just saying we have four good running backs that are capable of starting, and of the four Spiller has the best chance of being an "electric" game controlling RB running against a defense that has been worn down a half step, but carrying the lions share of the load may be difficult because of his physical build.

I agree and would add that like most rookie RBs, Spiller still has some issues with pass protection. But as Bills fans, we should be thrilled with the options at running back that a good offensive coach like Gailey can use.

Unfortunately Lynch has been injured this preseason, but I'm eager to see what kind of production Gailey can get out of a smash-mouth RB.

The Dolphins went from 1-15 to the playoffs using a diverse running attack. Let Gailey develop the same type of gameplan in Buffalo before running talented guys out of town.

How does CJ Spiller not enter this season as the starting running back? He was the 9th pick in the draft, he's a match-up nightmare for defenses, he's better than expected between the tackles. He should be starting games and Jackson/Lynch should be coming in later to pound it home. Don't get me wrong, the load should be divided, but don't we want the ball in this guy's hands as much as possible?

I'm very interested to see what Gailey does when he has the three back healthy. He's going to have some crazy formations!

Well, there is a lot more to playing as a starting RB in this league than just your ability to run the ball. He has to be able to pass protect to in order to be an every down back. I have no idea where he is at in his development in terms of pass protection, or even how it compares to FJ or Lynch in that area, but for him to see the bulk of the reps he is going to need to be competent at the least in that area.

That being said, if he can due his part in pass protection and puts up 300 combined yards or so and a couple of TDs in the first 2 weeks, its going to be really hard not giving him the most touches of our RB's.

Spiller should not only start but almost always be on the field. And stiill only give him his 15 touches. But Gailey IMO is going to find a way to make this offense something novel in the NFL because Spiller is such a threat. We may see a lot of 3 back and 1 WR sets, with a lot of motion. DCs will have to account for Spiller every play, even when he is a decoy because of his speed and cutback ability. That should allow Jackson and Lynch (and sometimes McIntyre like we saw yesterday) to have some open fields. Just mess with the other teams heads and use Spiller wisely because he's lightning.

Right on! Kelly. :thumbsup:

Its like the new shiny toy everyone wants to play with....

I love the new toy too.....but I dont want to see the kids break the most expensive toy they got for Christmas in the first week......

Know what I mean?

I just want to hug him. 0:)

He's listed 196. Whatever he is, he's not big. The only thing that can stop him is inury and I for one don't want to see him pounding it inside. He seems to protect himself well and I'm hoping that, and wise use of his talent, is enough to keep him healthy.

Chris Johnson is 197...what's your point?

Well, there is a lot more to playing as a starting RB in this league than just your ability to run the ball. He has to be able to pass protect to in order to be an every down back. I have no idea where he is at in his development in terms of pass protection, or even how it compares to FJ or Lynch in that area, but for him to see the bulk of the reps he is going to need to be competent at the least in that area.

That being said, if he can due his part in pass protection and puts up 300 combined yards or so and a couple of TDs in the first 2 weeks, its going to be really hard not giving him the most touches of our RB's.

I agree...I don't want to see him get all the carries or anything. I'm saying that if this guy starts, you immediately have the other team scrambling....Especially when they have he and Parrish on the field at the same time. Imagine how good they could be if Trent learns to beat the blitz regularly!

Spiller is not a "RB" in this offence, he is going to be more of a hybrid type player that will play RB and WR. He will get the Ball, but it will get them split between passes and handoffs. Lynch and Jackson are going to split the typical RB type position. We haven't even seen Gaileys offence so far, since both Lynch and Jackson have been hurt

This is what's going to happen: Spiller will have the majority of touches by week 5. This whole idea that he's going to be like Reggie Bush, etc. is a load of crap. CJ has better moves and better instinct than Bush. Mark my words, Spiller will be treated like Chris Johnson.

What a nice 'problem' for an OC and HC to have.

By the way, Chris Johnson was 197 lbs as a rookie.

How's that working out for him?

"Weaknesses: Is undersized and must add more bulk to frame in order to hold up physically at the next level. Has better strength than frame indicates but still not strong enough to break lots of tackles or push the pile as an inside runner. Doesn’t always drive his legs and finish runs strong. Durability was a problem throughout college and most concerning is his history of neck injuries.
Lacks ideal running instincts
and got away with a lot at the college level because of his speed that he won’t get away with in the NFL. Will get overwhelmed at the point of attack versus bigger linebackers in pass pro. Will struggle to hold up in that facet of the NFL game. Ball security has been a problem at times, as he turned the ball over seven times on fumbles during his first three seasons. He also has small hands (7¼ inches)."

what a joke.

This kid is a highlight reel... he makes instantaneous moves that you can only really see in slow motion to fake out opposing tacklers. Look at the the 20 yd TD run and the move he puts on that linebacker and you will see what I mean. Most RBs would have gotten run out of bounds there by that closing lb, but CJ changed direction on him so quick it looked like a video game move. Believe the hype.

what a joke.

This kid is a highlight reel... he makes instantaneous moves that you can only really see in slow motion to fake out opposing tacklers. Look at the the 20 yd TD run and the move he puts on that linebacker and you will see what I mean. Most RBs would have gotten run out of bounds there by that closing lb, but CJ changed direction on him so quick it looked like a video game move. Believe the hype.

Absolutely. That first move, cut and acceleration was just sick. And not even counting that, 90% of backs in the league are probably stopped at just inside the 10 yard line instead of in the endzone. His speed and ability to reach close to top speed quickly is just ridiculous.

He doesn't have to start to have a major impact. Don't worry, he will be on the field in many capacities. You will see him so much, if he's not starting, you will think he is. Flanker, slot, wildcat, RB, Returns and as a decoy. He will touch it 20 times a game at least and defenses will think he might touch it 30.

Edited by purple haze

That's exactly what I was thinking while watching the game. Imagine Spiller coming in when the defense is tired from Lynch/Jackson pounding them!

Also, on at least one play, McIntire (the FB!) lined up in the slot. My initial thought was... WTF!? But, imagine Spiller in the slot with Jackon/Lynch in the backfield? Evans on one side and Parish on the other. That's some serious speed on the field. Imagine Jackson getting a direct snap and tossing a screen to Spiller? There's plenty of options for Spiller to get his chances, while not starting.

Also, lets not forget, he's a rookie. Has there been a rookie drafted yet that didn't hit the "rookie wall" at some point in the season? Or have trouble in blitz pick up? Or just plain make rookie mistakes at times? Point being... we are in the very enviable position of having not 2 but 3 great backs. That's going to go a looooooong way to taking the pressure off our QB and below average, pass-blocking Oline. So, let's stop worrying about the starter; let's stop trying to run Lynch out of town; and let's hope Gailey can take advantage of the best 3 players we have on offense.

That's exactly what I was thinking while watching the game. Imagine Spiller coming in when the defense is tired from Lynch/Jackson pounding them!

Also, on at least one play, McIntire (the FB!) lined up in the slot. My initial thought was... WTF!? But, imagine Spiller in the slot with Jackon/Lynch in the backfield? Evans on one side and Parish on the other. That's some serious speed on the field. Imagine Jackson getting a direct snap and tossing a screen to Spiller? There's plenty of options for Spiller to get his chances, while not starting.

Also, lets not forget, he's a rookie. Has there been a rookie drafted yet that didn't hit the "rookie wall" at some point in the season? Or have trouble in blitz pick up? Or just plain make rookie mistakes at times? Point being... we are in the very enviable position of having not 2 but 3 great backs. That's going to go a looooooong way to taking the pressure off our QB and below average, pass-blocking Oline. So, let's stop worrying about the starter; let's stop trying to run Lynch out of town; and let's hope Gailey can take advantage of the best 3 players we have on offense.

That's why it's really going to be fascinating to see how Gailey utilizes Spiller, along with Freddy and the two Shawn Knuckleheads, Marshawn and Shawn Nelson (when he gets back). We have a bunch of weapons and speed on this team now. Spiller kind of makes the whole equation different.

That's why it's really going to be fascinating to see how Gailey utilizes Spiller, along with Freddy and the two Shawn Knuckleheads, Marshawn and Shawn Nelson (when he gets back). We have a bunch of weapons and speed on this team now. Spiller kind of makes the whole equation different.

I agree. Perhaps, I'm just delirious; but watching that the forst half yesterday actually gave me a glimmer of optimism for the season. As many have pointed out; offensively we made adjustments, the line blocked reasonably well, the play calling kept the defense guessing, Trent hit a receiver in stride!, Spiller looks like the real deal, and they actually treid to score a TD rather than 3 runs up the middle to position for an easier FG. I mean, seriously, they looked competent.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting playoffs all of a sudden. But, the team looks to be making great progress as the preseason goes.