I wouldn't change head coaches for anything.

I tend to read the articles and the board messages every day. As a life long Bills fan since the early 60's I appreciate the opportunity to read about the Bills while living a distance away from Buffalo these days. That said I am responding to the post because I feel the same way. I am very happy with what I have seen out of Chan so far. Go Bills!

I have been saying the same thing after each coaching change we have made...One of things days I might be right. Of course change is good when you have stunk for so long. Any change is more than welcome...

The question is will this change be any different and produce wins?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that given a couple years Chan Gailey will be a positive hire for the Bills, and I'm not one to believe that hiring one of the big names was a guaranteed improvement in this team, but I do want to wait for the year before I'm ready to say that it was a "great" hire. I like Chan Gailey's approach, and I've liked most if not all of what I've heard out of training camp, and I truly have faith in Nix's resume and NFL experience so if he liked Gailey, then so do I, but I still want to reserve judgment before I say too much. I like Gailey so far, and he seems to be the right guy given this situation for all the reasons the original poster said. Having said that, it will take Nix a couple drafts and Gailey a couple years of coaching and teaching and training before we really see the effect of this hire....for better or for worse. So, in 2012 we should see whether this hire was a bad, good, or great hire...and therein lies the trouble with the NFL, this isn't baseball, you can't just go "get" free agents and have your team instantly get better, as with the NHL also....the NFL is more dependent on your teammates than maybe any other sport, because it literally takes all 11 men on the field to contribute to winning on both sides of the ball, in the NHL a great center or winger can make up for some other weaknesses, in MLB, a power hitter can help make up for poor pitching, etc....but in the NFL you need all 22 starters and Special Teams to contribute in a positive way, or you're going to be mediocre to piss-poor...the very line the Bills have stradled for 10 years! So, this is a long way of saying.....let's just wait and see, while being encouraged by what's transpired thus far

I hear what your saying. I for one was initially optimistic with the Jauron hire. I remember myself saying things like he was with the Bears and did a pretty good job, he has experience and he will make our defense solid and tough to beat, he has the players playing hard for him, he has earned their respect, etc... I am pretty sure I wasn't the only one thinking this way. After the fact, it is easy to criticize "dick boy" for his mistakes.

Now enters Gailey and I do not possess your optimism. Following your logic, Gailey is an offensive coach and now what happens to our defense? Will they now be telegraphing their defensive schemes? To boot, we have a nobody DC and we are changing schemes...

Frankly, I don't know what Gailey is going to be able to produce on the field. I am not here to slam Gailey or anyone else. However, I need to see more in order for me to say this team is on the right track...I just don't see what your seeing....

I certainly understand your "show me" attitude right now in lieu of what we've been thru since the Music City Miracle. I have a bunch of it too. I think what I'm seeing now MPL is intelligence. C'mon...I bet most of the guys on this board felt Dicky J was a smart man, but a slow thinker as HC. I could give many, many examples of this. I for one was sick to death of the deer in the headlight gaze, combined with head scratching & shoulder shrugs. Jauron could probably blow Gailey's doors off on a scrabble board, but on the gridiron it would be another story. It's called "street smarts" & toughness. Gailey has it, & several of our HC's before him didn't. I'll take a tough guy with street smarts any day. This is what gives me optimism. Jauron was the type at halftime, while being down two TD's to say, "C'mon men...go get 'em the second half." Gailey's the type to actually make the necessary adjustments & have a solid plan.

So then Chan thought he had no "starters" on those cowboy teams? Didn't he have Aikman and Emmit Smith?

What must he be thinking now I wonder.

He must be thinking he did his job. What if Emmit and Aikman got good because Gailey refused to blow smoke up their rears?

PTR

I certainly understand your "show me" attitude right now in lieu of what we've been thru since the Music City Miracle. I have a bunch of it too. I think what I'm seeing now MPL is intelligence. C'mon...I bet most of the guys on this board felt Dicky J was a smart man, but a slow thinker as HC. I could give many, many examples of this. I for one was sick to death of the deer in the headlight gaze, combined with head scratching & shoulder shrugs. Jauron could probably blow Gailey's doors off on a scrabble board, but on the gridiron it would be another story. It's called "street smarts" & toughness. Gailey has it, & several of our HC's before him didn't. I'll take a tough guy with street smarts any day. This is what gives me optimism. Jauron was the type at halftime, while being down two TD's to say, "C'mon men...go get 'em the second half." Gailey's the type to actually make the necessary adjustments & have a solid plan.

I do like what I am seeing in Gailey. I have been waiting for a kick ass take names coach for years. Gailey appears to be that guy. Nevertheless, I want to see meaningful results like winning games before I declare coach Gailey a success. Is that too much to ask? Not meant to be rude.

He must be thinking he did his job. What if Emmit and Aikman got good because Gailey refused to blow smoke up their rears?

PTR

I meant "now" as the head coach of the Bills and the talent level on this team.

Plus, I believe Chan got Aikman and Smith near the end of their careers, not the beginning.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The people who are "100% Agree"ing with this load of crap are probably the same morons who were saying that they would not trade Trent Edwards for Peyton Manning in 2008. This is a complete overreaction. Chan sounds good so far and is undoubtedly better than DJ. But lets wait until they play a few games before preparing his bust for Canton. Time will tell how good of a coach Chan is. History has shown that the best coaches in the NFL are those that are lucky enough to get handed a franchise QB early in their tenure. I don't think we have that right now, but we'll see.

Let's just chill out and watch a few games before we get too excited.

GO BILLS!

So far, its like a new attitude for the Bills, but I will reserve getting on the Chan wagon until the season when the team is sucking in the first half and I can see him make halftime adjustments. DJ was horrible at that and I would like to see a coaching staff that will. But so far, so good... and yelling at those damn kids is just awesome!

I do like what I am seeing in Gailey. I have been waiting for a kick ass take names coach for years. Gailey appears to be that guy. Nevertheless, I want to see meaningful results like winning games before I declare coach Gailey a success. Is that too much to ask? Not meant to be rude.

No, you're not asking too much. I hear ya. I think we all do. We're all ready for the turn around. Like my name says...Enuf is Enuf. It's time to start winning. I just can't help feeling optimistic right now, but I am every time this year.

I like what Coach Gailey had done so far. But really, the only thing that will make him still be a good head coach months from now is wins. If we get more than we did last year, yeah, great job. If not, not so much.

That said, I'd trade him heads up now for Brian Billick, Dan Reaves, Marty Schottenhiember, or Tigger.

I gotta admit I'm starting to buy into what Chan Gaily is doing and saying, particularly regarding Trent Edwards.

Although you guys gotta remember he has been in and around the NFL in many capacities and knows in the ins and outs of the HC-OC, and I have to wonder if his doing so many jobs will wear him to thin.

Even though I'm still certain the team needs a pair of tackles, I'm pulling for the guy to get the team a winning record THIS YEAR

Edited by thewildrabbit

I wouldn't go as far as declaring that Chan is the right coach for the Bills into the future ... I hated the hire when he was hired, but after seeing him in action I've decided he is the right guy for this team right now.

I believe he can change the culture the team had developed over the last ten years or so, I believe he will be a good teacher to the influx of rookies we're going to need to rebuild the team, and I believe he'll be a more animated head coach providing "sound bites" for the media.

However, sometimes a coach is good taking a bad team and making them "respectable" but can never seem to get over the hump and make qa respectable team a great team. A prime example is Jerry Glanvile, he was great at taking a bottom feeder and making them competative, but for some reason his teams never got to the dominating stage.

Some coaches are great at building a team from the ground up to league leaders ... Levy and Parcells come to mind ... some are good at maintaining the status quo ... Wade Phillips comes to mind ... some just stink ... Juron comes to mind.

My point is ... I think Chan is the right guy for the here and now ... and I'm excited to see if he can be the guy for the future, but I have a feeling (that I haven't had in quite a long time) that we are starting on a fun chapter in the Bills story.

I like what Coach Gailey had done so far. But really, the only thing that will make him still be a good head coach months from now is wins. If we get more than we did last year, yeah, great job. If not, not so much.

That said, I'd trade him heads up now for Brian Billick, Dan Reaves, Marty Schottenhiember, or Tigger.

I prefer Chan to those guys you listed, except Marty. Billick is a so-called offensive genius (thanks to having Randy Moss while he was OC in Minnesota), an egomaniac who got his SB win thanks to a defense he didn't really have to coach. Reeves is done, too old school for today's game. Marty has a great track record of restoring teams to playoff levels (just not moving past that)... so Marty would have been a step in the right direction.

Tell you what though -- I wish we'd have seen the light on Mike Singletary. That dude changed a losing culture in SF, and still doesn't have a legit QB.

I agree, I like the fact that there's hitting, compettition, attention to detail and "the nose to the grindstone" mentality. Now if we can mix in more talent we'll have the ingredients to the playoff formula. Coaching + talent= playoffs. We have 1 and the beginnings of another. Look out in 1-2 more years.

GO BILLS!

I know what your thinking. You think I love Gailey because he blasted a few teenage fans.I did find that funny,but that was just an indicator of how the best coaches protect their players. Its not the outburst at training camp!

Actually, its the attention to detail, the handling of the press. Elimination of the good ol boy easy training camps. He is straight forward, the players respect him and he is a man with a plan. The confrontation with fans was the work of a coach that is clearly in control of his team and outside distractions no matter how small aggravate and annoy any self respecting coach.

Blasting a few fans might be the most important clue of the off season, Buffalo fans love this stuff. Bill Parcells did something similar in Miami in 2008 when he blasted a few local writers for their impatience. Parcells waived a few locker room problems and the players responded with a united team.

I saw some negative comments on the Bills main board and you know what, some said they hated Dick Jauron because he was a corpse. Well this guy is alive so don't complain. Seems like everyone is searching for the perfect coach and guess what? There is no perfect coach!

Who was the last head coach in Buffalo that took control of the entire team, press and fans? Nothing against Marv Levy but the answer is Lou Saban & Chuck Knox.

Now, you are probably thinking that wins and losses will determine his future in Buffalo. Well, if we keep changing head coaches there will be no winning, just a pile of dust and a continuous rebuilding process. Sorry, I have seen enough to know a good coach when I see one. I believe Gailey is finally the guy!

This is a slightly below average talent team, how he handles the season and players is the final test on his future in Buffalo. So far, I am impressed.

Step 2 will be to place his team in the position to beat the Dolphins. Step 3 is half time adjustments and benching a few lazy players.

The best coaches in the league are not politicians or wonderful human beings , they coach football and you better not get in their way!

Score 1 point for Buddy Nix and Ralph Wilson, they brought him here!

-DIEHARD 1967

I am pleased with Chan so far, and I am ok with his blasting of the teenagers, but it is way to early to annoint him with Saban and Levy.

See the bolded statement above. Please recall at a Levy press conference when a reporter alluded to false drug stories about Bruce Smith. Levy went nuts on the guy. Called him and others "jerks". This was broadcast on every major football show for weeks. Levy had his players backs. Bruce Smith expressed sincere gratitude for this because he did have issues in his past.

Levy did what Chan did with 100X the impact. Levy handled the entire team, press, and fans as good as you could expect. he did it in a era that was much tougher to do so in.

Saban, who I really respect a lot, had his issues with players (Gilcrest and Lamonica certainly come to mind). Levy handled all relationships with class and grace.

I know what your thinking. You think I love Gailey because he blasted a few teenage fans.I did find that funny,but that was just an indicator of how the best coaches protect their players. Its not the outburst at training camp!

Actually, its the attention to detail, the handling of the press. Elimination of the good ol boy easy training camps. He is straight forward, the players respect him and he is a man with a plan. The confrontation with fans was the work of a coach that is clearly in control of his team and outside distractions no matter how small aggravate and annoy any self respecting coach.

Blasting a few fans might be the most important clue of the off season, Buffalo fans love this stuff. Bill Parcells did something similar in Miami in 2008 when he blasted a few local writers for their impatience. Parcells waived a few locker room problems and the players responded with a united team.

I saw some negative comments on the Bills main board and you know what, some said they hated Dick Jauron because he was a corpse. Well this guy is alive so don't complain. Seems like everyone is searching for the perfect coach and guess what? There is no perfect coach!

Who was the last head coach in Buffalo that took control of the entire team, press and fans? Nothing against Marv Levy but the answer is Lou Saban & Chuck Knox.

Now, you are probably thinking that wins and losses will determine his future in Buffalo. Well, if we keep changing head coaches there will be no winning, just a pile of dust and a continuous rebuilding process. Sorry, I have seen enough to know a good coach when I see one. I believe Gailey is finally the guy!

This is a slightly below average talent team, how he handles the season and players is the final test on his future in Buffalo. So far, I am impressed.

Step 2 will be to place his team in the position to beat the Dolphins. Step 3 is half time adjustments and benching a few lazy players.

The best coaches in the league are not politicians or wonderful human beings , they coach football and you better not get in their way!

Score 1 point for Buddy Nix and Ralph Wilson, they brought him here!

-DIEHARD 1967

CHAN-TASTIC :thumbsup:

When has he done this? Yet? Is it not unreasonable to wait until the season starts?

I prefer Chan to those guys you listed, except Marty. Billick is a so-called offensive genius (thanks to having Randy Moss while he was OC in Minnesota), an egomaniac who got his SB win thanks to a defense he didn't really have to coach. Reeves is done, too old school for today's game. Marty has a great track record of restoring teams to playoff levels (just not moving past that)... so Marty would have been a step in the right direction.

Tell you what though -- I wish we'd have seen the light on Mike Singletary. That dude changed a losing culture in SF, and still doesn't have a legit QB.

Not yet, he hasn't.

I am pleased with Chan so far, and I am ok with his blasting of the teenagers, but it is way to early to annoint him with Saban and Levy.

See the bolded statement above. Please recall at a Levy press conference when a reporter alluded to false drug stories about Bruce Smith. Levy went nuts on the guy. Called him and others "jerks". This was broadcast on every major football show for weeks. Levy had his players backs. Bruce Smith expressed sincere gratitude for this because he did have issues in his past.

Levy did what Chan did with 100X the impact. Levy handled the entire team, press, and fans as good as you could expect. he did it in a era that was much tougher to do so in.

Saban, who I really respect a lot, had his issues with players (Gilcrest and Lamonica certainly come to mind). Levy handled all relationships with class and grace.

Good points.