ESPN

WordByrd

I know that Buffalo has been looked down upon for many years by the national media, but what the hell is up with ESPN this year? I swear Ralph must have burned one of their producers, because every analyst LOVES hating on the Bills. I know this has been discussed before, but in the past few months, our Bills have been torn apart exponentially more than ever before. I just don't understand how the think "Buffalo is on the clock". The Bills are NOT THAT BAD!

-We have a better coaching staff

-Many of our players have another year of experience

-We won 6 games last year, despite having half of the team on IR

-We were in almost every single game until the end last year

There are many more reasons to believe we will win more than 1 or 2 games. Feel free to give me more

I know that Buffalo has been looked down upon for many years by the national media, but what the hell is up with ESPN this year? I swear Ralph must have burned one of their producers, because every analyst LOVES hating on the Bills. I know this has been discussed before, but in the past few months, our Bills have been torn apart exponentially more than ever before. I just don't understand how the think "Buffalo is on the clock". The Bills are NOT THAT BAD!

There are many more reasons to believe we will win more than 1 or 2 games. Feel free to give me more

Nobody in the media cares about details. Today is all about hype, flash, sound bites and the big story.

Conventional wisdom last year was that the Bills needed a front office change and only the hiring of a big name like Shanahan or Cowher could resurrect this team. Instead we hired a 70 year old Scout to be the GM and he hired Chan Gailey to be coach. Chan is percieved to be a nice guy, a good coach, a better OC, and about as exciting as watching paint dry. The football world thinks we are irrelevant because of Wilson, Brandon, and the rest of the FO that has accomplished exactly nothing for 10 years running.

Some examples of our off season moves that fuel the fire:

-- Wilson gets quoted as saying he "did not recognize the names of any other GM candidates".

-- Allegedly no "big name" coaches were interested

-- Allegedly some "up and coming" coaches turned down interviews

-- Allegedly we did not interview some of the "best and brightest" that were available

-- Nix counters with a statement that his phone is ringing off the hook with interest

-- We did not draft a QB and we need one

-- We did not draft a LT and we need one

-- We drafted a RB and we do not need one

-- We are changing defenses and we don't have the personnel to run it

-- The economy is bad, there is nothing to do, and it snows a lot.

In todays pop culture talking smack is in, this is not the 60's, 70's, or even the 80's. The players talk trash and so do coaches, owners, and fans. The media promotes it and feeds it.

If the Bills are not that bad then they need to prove it on the field and wins some games. If they do that Bills fans will complain about all that are jumping on the bandwagon.

Nobody in the media cares about details. Today is all about hype, flash, sound bites and the big story.

Conventional wisdom last year was that the Bills needed a front office change and only the hiring of a big name like Shanahan or Cowher could resurrect this team. Instead we hired a 70 year old Scout to be the GM and he hired Chan Gailey to be coach. Chan is percieved to be a nice guy, a good coach, a better OC, and about as exciting as watching paint dry. The football world thinks we are irrelevant because of Wilson, Brandon, and the rest of the FO that has accomplished exactly nothing for 10 years running.

-- Wilson gets quoted as saying he "did not recognize the names of any other GM candidates".

-- Allegedly we did not interview some of the "best and brightest" that were available

-- Nix counters with a statement that his phone is ringing off the hook with interest

True dat. Paraphrasing ... We suck until we prove otherwise.

The pessimists/realists complain about these legitimate concerns whereas the optimists/"we're going to surprise everybody this season" group complain about the "anti-buffalo" media pointing out these legitimate concerns and subsequently create one of these identical threads every day.

True dat. Paraphrasing ... We suck until we prove otherwise.

That, at least, is one thing we should all be able to agree on.

Head to the many, many other threads devoted to this exact topic.

Edited by Mr. WEO

In todays pop culture talking smack is in, this is not the 60's, 70's, or even the 80's. The players talk trash and so do coaches, owners, and fans. The media promotes it and feeds it.

If the Bills are not that bad then they need to prove it on the field and wins some games. If they do that Bills fans will complain about all that are jumping on the bandwagon.

i have long espoused the same mantra. the NFL is now "pop culture", not a weekend diversion played by guys who get bloodied and muddied. i am not saying the players arent tough or physically capable, i am saying its a "rap video" mentality. take a look at the pre-game shows, (i think fox's is unwatchable), but ESPN'S has evolved into a combination of access hollywood and TMZ. i used to look forward to it , now i barely pay attention. i guess my point is that unless you are "sexy" like the COWBOYS, or the latest fad, the THE JETS, or have a hotshot rookie, you mean nothing . it is all about appealing to demographics, not necessarily football fans. at the present time the bills have absolutely nothing relevant to offer, hence the ridicule. i hate it, it is painful and other than just winning, it will continue.

Edited by dwight in philly

You think we have better coaching. There's no evidence that this is actually true. A lot of those assistants were snapped up pretty quickly after they were left to find other jobs. Perry Fewell was 3-4 as a head coach. You don't even know that Gailey is a better head coach than Fewell was. Owens & Schobel are gone, as is just about every TE who put on a Bills uniform except Stupar. Bad teams tease their fans by losing close games. In 1984 the 2-14 Bills lost 6 of those games by 4 points or less. That means, in spite of being a horrible team, that went 2-14 the next year, they were in or won half their games. The 1985 team lost 6 games by a TD or less. Once again a bad team was in or won half their games. The 4-12 1986 team was within a TD in 7 of their 12 losses, meaning they were in 11 of 16 games & still were big time losers.

Half of this year's team is already injured.

ESPN doesn't hate the Bills as much as you think. There's a good chance this is, at best, a 3 to 4 win season.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Two things....

from 88-86 ESPN couldn't stop kissing our asses. I remember fans of every other team in the NFL Sick and tired of all the love hyped on the Bills by the National Media. So it isn't like we haven't had our time in the sun so to speak.

Second, we suck. We are hands down THE worst team in the NFL right now. Even the Raiders look better right now. It will not suprise me at all if we finish with the first overall pick this year. Ralph wilson has done nothing to make the situation any better and won't. Until we have a new owner, nothing will change. Until we start winning games and be a legit threat to make the playoffs, NO national media is going to give us any respect.

The football world thinks we are irrelevant because of Wilson, Brandon, and the rest of the FO that has accomplished exactly nothing for 10 years running.

is this not enough to justify mockery? 10 years of losing is not a fad.

You think we have better coaching. There's no evidence that this is actually true. A lot of those assistants were snapped up pretty quickly after they were left to find other jobs. Perry Fewell was 3-4 as a head coach. You don't even know that Gailey is a better head coach than Fewell was. Owens & Schobel are gone, as is just about every TE who put on a Bills uniform except Stupar. Bad teams tease their fans by losing close games. In 1984 the 2-14 Bills lost 6 of those games by 4 points or less. That means, in spite of being a horrible team, that went 2-14 the next year, they were in or won half their games. The 1985 team lost 6 games by a TD or less. Once again a bad team was in or won half their games. The 4-12 1986 team was within a TD in 7 of their 12 losses, meaning they were in 11 of 16 games & still were big time losers.

Half of this year's team is already injured.

ESPN doesn't hate the Bills as much as you think. There's a good chance this is, at best, a 3 to 4 win season.

The media I work with actually like The Bills, or at least dont dislike them. Dont feel bad that we arent getting good coverage. How much attention is Kansas City, Cleveland, Tampa, Detroit and so on getting? St Louis is only mentioned beacuse they had the #1 pick in Bradford. Doesnt matter what team/city you are...No one cares about you until you win or have guys who stir the pot like T.O. last season. The Bills need to come out and punch Miami in the damn mouth in the opener and run the ball down their throats. That will get everyone's attention! Squish Tha Fish!

Two things....

from 88-86 ESPN couldn't stop kissing our asses. I remember fans of every other team in the NFL Sick and tired of all the love hyped on the Bills by the National Media. So it isn't like we haven't had our time in the sun so to speak.

Second, we suck. We are hands down THE worst team in the NFL right now. Even the Raiders look better right now. It will not suprise me at all if we finish with the first overall pick this year. Ralph wilson has done nothing to make the situation any better and won't. Until we have a new owner, nothing will change. Until we start winning games and be a legit threat to make the playoffs, NO national media is going to give us any respect.

I cannot wait to laugh at you in 20 weeks because of this statement. So wrong.

Bad teams tease their fans by losing close games. In 1984 the 2-14 Bills lost 6 of those games by 4 points or less. That means, in spite of being a horrible team, that went 2-14 the next year, they were in or won half their games. The 1985 team lost 6 games by a TD or less. Once again a bad team was in or won half their games. The 4-12 1986 team was within a TD in 7 of their 12 losses, meaning they were in 11 of 16 games & still were big time losers.

I agree with your main point -- we could be looking at a 3- or 4-win season -- but I also thought this was interesting:

http://www.marasoft.com/nfl-margin-victory.html

Over the last 20 years, almost half of all NFL games (46%) were decided by 7 or fewer points (which is one reason why football is king). It is common for teams to be "in" games until the final gun... "any given Sunday" and all that. This data might deflate some of the chatter on the relative value of "playing teams close." Unfortunately, playing teams close will tend to prolong the careers of subpar coaches.

And the inferiority complex continues to grow...