would the Bills possibly work a trade?

richNjoisy

I don't usually read , let alone start, a thread on trades but oh well.....

I realize the league knows the Bills will be releasing a QB before the start of the season but having your backup QB in place soon rather than later might induce a team to ante up (a bit).

I was think of the possibility of a trade with Tampa - Fitzpatrick for TE Jerramy Stevens

Tampa needs a backup and the Bills needs a veteran TE.

?????

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize the league knows the Bills will be releasing a QB before the start of the season but having your backup QB in place soon rather than later might induce a team to ante up (a bit).

I was think of the possibility of a trade with Tampa - Fitzpatrick for TE Jerramy Stevens

?????

Wasn't Stevens the guy that raped a girl in Washington during college and got away with it? But I don't see that trade as being a possibility, IMO.

?????

This Jerramy Stevens…the one that got away with rape?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004147460_rbstevens270.html

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

?????

I don't think a trade like that would happen. Most teams will wait for players to get released. Plus, Fitz does not have much trade value as it seems he looks like the one QB to get cut.

Just a thought...rumor seems to be that the Bears are in the market for a back-up QB...rumor also had it, earlier in the offseason, that the Bears were open to trying to trade Greg Olson, as Mike Martz is not real interested in pass catching tight ends, to help run his offense...how about Fitzpatrick for Olson? Bills would likely have to give up something/someone else in addition to Fitzpatrick, a draft pick perhaps? Olson is very good. Not a great blocking tight end, but a terrific receiver.

Edited by Buftex

Just a thought...rumor seems to be that the Bears are in the market for a back-up QB...rumor also had it, earlier in the offseason, that the Bears were open to trying to trade Greg Olson, as Mike Martz is not real interested in pass catching tight ends, to help run his offense...how about Fitzpatrick for Olson? Bills would likely have to give up something/someone else in addition to Fitzpatrick, a draft pick perhaps? Olson is very good. Not a great blocking tight end, but a terrific receiver.

This one makes good sense.

Cutler has been real shaky in trying to pick up the Martz system, and they are very thin at QB. I like Dan Lefevour but they need a veteran signal caller.

The Bears have traded away a lot of high draft picks and signed some expensive free agents like Julius Peppers.

They are kind of "all in" on this season.

A veteran QB would make a lot of sense for them.

I think it's safe to say that no NFL club values RF enough to actually trade for him.

I wouldn't be so sure. Fitzy gets no respect because no one wants their team's starting QB to look like he does.

BUT, Fitzy has had 22 starts over the last two years for teams that performed poorly.

Fitzy's record as a starter is 9-12-1 for a .429 winning percentage.

In the games that he didn't start for those teams, those teams' record was a combined 1-9 for a .111 winning percentage.

In other words, in 2007 and 2008, Fitzy (9-12-1) outperformed Carson Palmer (0-3), Trent Edwards (1-5), and Brian Brohm (0-1).

edit: Buftex also did say that the Bills would have to add something to the trade besides Fitzy.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I think it's safe to say that no NFL club values RF enough to actually trade for him.

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. IMO late camp trades won't be Buddy's style. My guess will be Schouman will go on the PUP list and a free agent vetran will be brought in. If the Vet works out Schouman will either stay on the PUP for the year or get cut. The guy can't stay healthy and IMO is not really all that good anyway.

Fitzy gets cut out right before the season starts and Brohm will be the number 2. Again... Just MHO.

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. IMO late camp trades won't be Buddy's style. My guess will be Schouman will go on the PUP list and a free agent vetran will be brought in. If the Vet works out Schouman will either stay on the PUP for the year or get cut. The guy can't stay healthy and IMO is not really all that good anyway.

Fitzy gets cut out right before the season starts and Brohm will be the number 2. Again... Just MHO.

Okay. So how do you explain this ?

I wouldn't be so sure. Fitzy gets no respect because no one wants their team's starting QB to look like he does.

BUT, Fitzy has had 22 starts over the last two years for teams that performed poorly.

In the games that he didn't start for those teams, those teams' record was a combined 1-9 for a .111 winning percentage.

In other words, in 2007 and 2008, Fitzy (9-12-1) outperformed Carson Palmer (0-3), Trent Edwards (1-5), and Brian Brohm (0-1).

edit: Buftex also did say that the Bills would have to add something to the trade besides Fitzy.

Okay. So how do you explain this ?

I can't refute your numbers. I can only say that when it comes to prototypical quarterbacks, fitz does not fit the mold. Neither does T.E. either, but we still don't really know how good Captain Checkdown can be where as we already know Fitz is a second rate QB with a moderate Arm. Brohn is the Prototypical QB. 6'3 225LBs (around that anyway), and has the big time arm. His problem is he has no real game time experince stating only 1 game in Buffalo and I don't think he even saw the field in Green Bay. A few years under a good staff and Edward and Brohm could become decent maybe even good QB's. I don't see that for Fitzy bouncing from the Rams, Bengals and now Buffalo. Just my opinion.

I don't think you can put players on the PUP once camp starts. I think you mean IR.

I don't think you can put players on the PUP once camp starts. I think you mean IR.

You are correct. A player can not go on the PUP list after the start training camp on the active roster. I stand corrected. I don't see them putting him on IR though. So i guess I would probably cut him out right. I can't see any reason to keep a guy that can't stay healthy.

Edited by BillsMan75

I am all for them trying to make the team better anyway possible. Getting somthing for what is sure to be a cut, Lets hope Nix ca come up with more crafty spin like this above...

What free agent veteran?

Just a thought...rumor seems to be that the Bears are in the market for a back-up QB...rumor also had it, earlier in the offseason, that the Bears were open to trying to trade Greg Olson, as Mike Martz is not real http://mobile.buy.com/ibuy/ProductDetail.aspx?listingid=99557404&loc=111&sku=213822813 in pass catching tight ends, to help run his offense...how about Fitzpatrick for Olson? Bills would likely have to give up

something/someone else in addition to Fitzpatrick, a draft pick perhaps? Olson is very good. Not a great blocking tight end, but a terrific receiver.

Come on, do you really think the Bears would trade a TE they took in the first round - who still has performed well enough - for a backup QB who is on his way out of the league. Offering a third round pick is much more likely to be accepted.

Well... I did say the Bills would have to add a draft pick, in addition to Fitzpatrick... I would trade Fitzpatrick and a 2nd rounder for Olson. Olson is excellent, and was #1 pick just three seasons ago. He wouldn't come cheap. The real value, for the Bears, would be the 2nd round pick. They would get Fitzpatrick, who would be the experienced vet backup QB, they covet...and Fitzpatrick was braught into the NFL by Mike Martz, as a Ram. I am not sure what their relationship is, but, I don't think it is as nuts as it sounds. Of course, Fitzpatricks salary might not be attractive to the Bears.

Anyways, I am sure this won't happen, but it is fun to speculate!