Where's all the MAYBIN defenders?

Yeah OK, then why wasn't Steve Johnson, or Spiller, or anyone else gaining without extensive "exprience" out there? Gil Brandt, talking about the Bills yesterday, said the major drawback of the Bills having to play Spiller so early is that it's almost impossible for a rookie RB to learn how to pick up blitzes and pass protection assignments correctly. He said that anything Spiller, or any other rookie back does that is great, is almost always offset by something terrible that they do in pass protections.

So, tell me, shouldn't Spiller have been out there gaining some experience? Gailey might be telling the truth, or bits of it. And in your defense, Maybin is a tad younger, but seriously, that really doesn't matter. But the fact that Maybin is out there at the same time John McCargo is out there is not a good sign. Maybin has no chance of being cut, like McCargo, but it speaks volumes. There's no way they would risk Maybin to injury if they thought he was actually going to be any kind of decent contirbutor to this year's team.

Was Kelsay out there last night in the 4th quarter working on his LB skills?

The point is, Maybin hasn't played a lot of football games. He didn't even start the first couple games of the one season he played at Penn State. He needs game experience (and it certainly shows).

Again, Maybin is the second youngest player on the Bills, counting all the rookies drafted and undrafted. Spiller played four full years of football at Clemson. Running back is the easiest position in football to learn even counting pass protections (a point I agree with btw, and Spiller looked pretty decent doing it yesterday). Kelsay has played ten full seasons of football games counting college.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, dude has a long way to go. I disagree in this idea that he is a clown and I think that fans need to stop looking for negative characteristics about a player's personality in order to justify their frustration with performance on the field. Read anything he has ever said or written (including his blog posts) and there is 0 indication that he is arrogant or immature, despite what you say. If you don't like a player fine, I don't need you to justify it. But, don't make things up.

Actions speak louder than words. Maybin's thuglike cheap shot of the Colts sliding 14th string QB last night continues to back up the premise that he's a clown mentally. This after the cheapshot to Fred Jackson in camp. Oh, and Eric Wood's comment about earning your money doesn't come without some bit of truth to it.

I guess you've never seen someone say all the right things, and then do the opposite. I have zero need to read Aaron Maybin's blog. For what? A 22 year old who acts juvenile writes something. OK great. I'll leave that for other people to enjoy. In the last few years, I've watched countless athletes sit in front of congress and lie about taking steroids too. Then, they come back to their twitter account, and reinforce what they just lied about under oath, only to still be caught later on.

I could give a crap about 22 year old Aaron Maybin's blog. Show me something on the field. Anything. And right now, he gives nobody anything that makes him likeable in the slightest bit. He's a clown.

The upside of Maybin is that he's only 22. THere are a ton of people in this world that are immature at 22. I just hope the lightbulb for this kid turns on before he's either let go, and goes to a team that has a clue how to straighten him out. Or, I just hope it goes on.......at some point in his life........period.

yep, the scouts and player decisions have been questionable at best in for the Bills at times in the first round, but that has all changed now since...Tom Modrak and Jim Overdorf have been...replac...wait....they are still there...OMG!

I don't think he is very good right now at all, but he tries as hard as any player on the team, and goes 100% on very play to the whistle. That is actually a good thing (although he sometimes goes into personal overtime, which isn't so good).

He does look and act like a clown at times, I'm not at all denying that. And I have heard some first hand accounts that he's an idiot in the locker room at times from someone who is there every day. So I am not at all defending his antics. But there is zero chance he is getting cut, and he really could develop into a good player. he may even be quite good this year. He needs playing time and that's what pre-season is for.

I'm confused about your argument.

You are essentially saying that Maybin is young, inexperienced and needs to get better. Which is a statement everyone universally agrees on. Including Gailey. So, what the hell is the problem with Maybin getting experience? Gailey is essentially saying, listen, you are talented enough to play with the 1st team, but you are also inexperienced enough to essentially be a rookie. Therefore, he is giving Maybin snaps with the first team in scenarios which Maybin can impact, and then giving Maybin numerous snaps with the 2nd and 3rd team, allowing Maybin to learn and grow as a player in non-pass rushing situations.

Where in the fine print does it read: "Maybin is playing with these guys because he sucks and no one cares if he gets injured"?

And Kelsay wasn't playing bc he is coming off an injury. Oh yea, and Kelsay pretty much peaked in terms of his ability about 5 years ago. He doesn't have much to gain. Oh yea, and he is a vet who won't be playing with the 2's and 3's just because...well.....he is a vet. Kelsay's situation and Maybin's situation are not at all analogous.

THis isn't real hard here. Gailey said he was out there to get experience. That's what you said. So, why wasn't anyone else there, at that point in the game who needs experience? Spiller? Kelsay? Johnson? Wood? Bell, at his LT spot where he's barely played?

I don't care if Kelsay is a vet. He's learning something new. He needs experience too. I understand the injury excuse. Making guys like Wood, Bell, and maybe even Spiller not likely to be out there because they are either recovering or their position has injuries. But to say that Maybin is out there for experience is so stupid, it's not funny.

He's out there because he's behind in some way. He's either not getting it, or he's dumb that he needs more work than the normal starters need. There are a lot of guys that need more experience on this team that aren't out there as much as Maybin.

THere's a reason for that. Basically, it says that Maybin needs a ton of work. For whatever reason. His mental game. His physical game. His experience (which is just an excuse to hide behind).

He's not there. Period. And he's a clown. Period. That makes him not likable on a football team that has sucked for 10 years. That's why he is in the position he is in today. It's really no harder than that.

No one hated Erik Flowers this much. Maybin is just not a very likable human being or player to this point.

I don't think he is very good right now at all, but he tries as hard as any player on the team, and goes 100% on very play to the whistle. That is actually a good thing (although he sometimes goes into personal overtime, which isn't so good).

He does look and act like a clown at times, I'm not at all denying that. And I have heard some first hand accounts that he's an idiot in the locker room at times from someone who is there every day. So I am not at all defending his antics. But there is zero chance he is getting cut, and he really could develop into a good player. he may even be quite good this year. He needs playing time and that's what pre-season is for.

I agree with this 100%. I don't think he's getting cut either. Nor, on a team that is talentless, like the Bills, should he get cut yet. But man, he has all the makings of bust written all over him.

And he's not very likable. End of story.

THis isn't real hard here. Gailey said he was out there to get experience. That's what you said. So, why wasn't anyone else there, at that point in the game who needs experience? Spiller? Kelsay? Johnson? Wood? Bell, at his LT spot where he's barely played?

I don't care if Kelsay is a vet. He's learning something new. He needs experience too. I understand the injury excuse. Making guys like Wood, Bell, and maybe even Spiller not likely to be out there because they are either recovering or their position has injuries. But to say that Maybin is out there for experience is so stupid, it's not funny.

He's out there because he's behind in some way. He's either not getting it, or he's dumb that he needs more work than the normal starters need. There are a lot of guys that need more experience on this team that aren't out there as much as Maybin.

THere's a reason for that. Basically, it says that Maybin needs a ton of work. For whatever reason. His mental game. His physical game. His experience (which is just an excuse to hide behind).

He's not there. Period. And he's a clown. Period. That makes him not likable on a football team that has sucked for 10 years. That's why he is in the position he is in today. It's really no harder than that.

No one hated Erik Flowers this much. Maybin is just not a very likable human being or player to this point.

Because Maybin has played a full live football game about 8-10 times in his life (not counting high school). That is why he needs more game experience than other players. How hard is that to understand?

Alright. Not really worth debating, seems like you have your mind made up.

You are essentially making an huge generalization over a person's character following two plays. One play in which there is 0 recorded evidence of.

And the rest of what you said, to be honest, is total crap. Absolutely 0 substance, just your gut opinion. Typical TBD bull ****.

Are you in a bubble? Seriously? Two plays? Have you read the stuff written from GM's inferring that Maybin was a clown at one of the NFL functions that was attended by 3 DE's. Have you read some of the accounts of Maybin's immaturity around the locker room and at the Super Bowl? Two plays? Have you actually been to any games at the Ralph, the minute amount of times he's been in and watched him gloat over people as the Bills are getting their ass kicked by two TD's.

I mean really, open your eyes. He's done nothing in the short amount of time he's been here, EXPCEPT get noticed for his bullschitt that he pulls on and off the field. When the field play and his football impact on the field, outweigh his idiocy, maybe everyone will change their mind. Right now, he's a buffoon. By almost everyone's account, he's a buffoon.

Saying Aaron Maybin isn't immature is like people saying that Iran isnt' developing nuclear weapons. All signs point to it, and yet, there are some people that continue to argue against MULTIPLE obvious trouble signs.

When you show me something that Maybin starts doing well on the field OR just any progress mentally or football wise, I'll have a different opinion. And that doens't happen in a blog for christ's sakes.

Aaron, is that you? Really, just come on out.

Because Maybin has played a full live football game about 8-10 times in his life (not counting high school). That is why he needs more game experience than other players. How hard is that to understand?

And how hard is this to understand. CJ Spiller's games against Duke, Wake Forest and the rest of the overrated conference in no way get him ready for the NFL. I mean, all we ever hear is that the speed of the NFL game is so much greater than college football, that no rookie can compare. Right? Every year, every week, every game, we hear that. So, why not have him out there all game? You know, for NFL experience.

And by the way, how did Matt Cassel do in New England with ZERO college games under his belt? NONE. Didn't take him too long.

I get the experience thing you are trying to accomplish here. It's just an excuse for Gailey to hide behind. Maybin has a long way to go, that's why he's out there. I'm not saying he shouldn't be, but he's out there because they are trying to figure out a way to get anything out of this kid.

It just shows where he is at right now. And he's not in a place where the staff has any kind of trust in him at all. Otherwise, he wouldn't in the game in the 4th quarter. Makes no sense.

I got beat up so bad when I posted that I did not like the Maybin pick and jokingly called him "Maybe" because his stats were not consistent in college. With his size he was a reach, and on top of that he held out for more money. A few folks really wanted us to take Orakpo - as of now, looks like they were spot on.

Since it is interesting to look back on predictions and such by our accumulated brain trust of posters.... here is where we fade back in time to the pick and the post.... :thumbsup:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...6&hl=Maybin

I'll cede to Kelly's locker room sources and will stop arguing about Maybin's character (though, lets be real, anyone who has locker room sources know that there are a WIDE variety of opinions that each player has for his teammates. I'm sure players on defense don't think too highly of Wood in certain ways).

But yea, the main point is, you can either come up with as many dumb reasons as you want to not like someone, or you can deal with the reality that Kelly puts forth. He needs live game experience and Gailey is giving it to him. To come up with all of these ulterior motives to vindicate your hatred for the guy, is denying fact.

Your gut feelings about Maybin, may very well be right. But, NO ONE on this board has watched enough games of him to convince me (or any sensible person) that he is a dirty player or that is physically or mentally not there. And that is simply because he has NOT PLAYED enough games to warrant that type of conclusion.

And beyond that, "No one hated Erik Flowers this much". I mean, really? Did I really read that as some sort of basis for your claims?

Yeah, you did read that correctly. The point there is simple. Erik Flowers, while a bust, didn't seem like a jackass. Thus, no one cared to pick on him and attack his character.

If people don't want to like a player, that's their right. And with that being said, when players act like Maybin, they start to form their opinions and start to not like them.

When you act like a clown, thuggish, and generally stupid what the hell do you think people are going to do? Then, on top of that, make him a great hope (not his fault) that comes with the round one pick, and throw him on a bad franchise and you have disaster.

People root for the humble, work hard type player. People also root for a good player, no matter his attitude. Maybin has shown to be neither of those. Thus, what do you think is actually going to happen?

Damn brother, watch Fox News much? Another situation that is not at all analogous, but whatever.

Definitely show me those articles with those comments in it. I have not read them and in all seriousness, I'd really like to. I'll readily admit that I was not aware that his immaturity was so widely reported on.

My complaint with what you are saying, is that it seems to be heavily fueled by the fact you think he is a clown. Kind of the way someone might feel about a politician. No matter WHAT happens, your mind has been made up.

All I'm saying is, the guy is inexperienced, young and has a whole lot of upside. He is naturally talented and more importantly, he works hard. He wants to succeed, there is no denying that. And I won't bet against that mindset. From all accounts I've read about him (and again, definitely show me the other evidence), Maybin has been humbled by his struggles and wants to improve himself dramatically. We'll see, but I'm betting he will.

I do think he's a clown. To me, he seems like that guy that walked around in high school, and all the coaches would say......"man if that kid had half a brain, he'd have the world by the balls."

Those kind of guys are hard to like. THey are usually the clowns.

I don't disagree with what you are saying about experience. Not one bit. But the fact he's out shows much into what the staff thinks of him. I don't think they've given up on him by any means, but they also don't care if they lose him to injury. That speaks volumes.

To say it kindly, he is an "unpolished" football player and human being. In his defense I can remember a young Bills player that used to act like an idiot after every nice play he made. It was embarrassing to see it. One time he laid flat on the field, pounding the turf and flopping around like a fish-out-of-water. He had a four game drug suspension and the Bills supposedly hired someone to tail him because he was hanging around with some questionable characters. His ego was huge before he did anything in the NFL and he was known as a tough personality for the press to deal with.

Given all that, he would develop into the best defender in Bill's history and one of the best in the history of the NFL. I think he married well. I'll choose to wait and see on Maybin.

And how hard is this to understand. CJ Spiller's games against Duke, Wake Forest and the rest of the overrated conference in no way get him ready for the NFL. I mean, all we ever hear is that the speed of the NFL game is so much greater than college football, that no rookie can compare. Right? Every year, every week, every game, we hear that. So, why not have him out there all game? You know, for NFL experience.

And by the way, how did Matt Cassel do in New England with ZERO college games under his belt? NONE. Didn't take him too long.

I get the experience thing you are trying to accomplish here. It's just an excuse for Gailey to hide behind. Maybin has a long way to go, that's why he's out there. I'm not saying he shouldn't be, but he's out there because they are trying to figure out a way to get anything out of this kid.

It just shows where he is at right now. And he's not in a place where the staff has any kind of trust in him at all. Otherwise, he wouldn't in the game in the 4th quarter. Makes no sense.

You saw from Spiller's second carry that he has all the speed necessary to translate to the pros. The argument was over.

And it's kind of a dumb argument IMO to include Matt Cassell in your argument for why a guy should not be playing late in pre-season games when all Matt Cassell did for a few years is play late in pre-season games because he needed the experience of playing in games. Talk about not making any sense. :thumbsup:

Where's all the MAYBIN supporters? Against 2nd-3rd-4th teamers he got nowhere last night. He looked too small, took bad angles again and if we were playing pig he would have a B-U-S-_ so far. Could you imagine if we had Orakpo or Mike Oher right now instead of MAYBE? Either of those 2 players would make our team instantly much better. The draft 2 years ago produced some nice players for us, but our #1 pick is another first round B-U-S- _ !

What are you talking about? There were very few people who were happy with the Maybin pick. It seems like it was about 3:1 against the pick when it happened.

Most people are resigned to the fact that it happened and are hoping that it works out for the best.

Others (like those who still can't get over Donte Whitner) wanna continue to harp on it.

I got beat up so bad when I posted that I did not like the Maybin pick and jokingly called him "Maybe" because his stats were not consistent in college. With his size he was a reach, and on top of that he held out for more money. A few folks really wanted us to take Orakpo - as of now, looks like they were spot on.

Since it is interesting to look back on predictions and such by our accumulated brain trust of posters.... here is where we fade back in time to the pick and the post.... :devil:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...6&hl=Maybin

You were not really being ridiculed for your criticism of Maybin so much as because you were pretty insistent that we should have traded up for Raji, which really is a silly thing to crusade.

As I stated above, very few people were happy with the Maybin pick when it happened. Most people were philosophical…which is often the response from people wise enough to know that there's nothing they can do about what happened.

LV's character assassination is pretty interesting though. It's like Maybin has been some sort of lawless thug. The capacity for some people to hate others for relatively little never ceases to amaze me.

Basically it seems like LV doesn't like Maybin because

a) he doesn't like the pick

b) Maybin held out

c) LV has seen some written rumors about Maybin's behavior

d) LV doesn't like the way Maybin carries himself on the field

That's all well and good. Whatever logs you want to throw on your fire is certainly your business.

Anyone else think that he might be Buffalo's dirtiest player? It's like he is trying to make up for horrible play and being out of position by committing late hits and over aggressive head shots. He will cost Buffalo at least one game if he continues.

I was thinking that too..he takes these late chippy shots that are gonna get flagged. i assume he does so as he knows he's under pressure to do something

I just watched the second half again and Maybin smacks the QB when he was running upfield pretty hard. A legal hit with no penalty. The next play, the QB just drops the ball when it was snapped, and the Bills recovered, which easily could have been a direct result of being dazed by the hit. I have no problem with him doing that. He also made some nice plays including two in a row to stop a drive in the middle of the third period. He honestly didn't look bad out there at all.