Thoughts on 1st Half

LABills08

First off, I think the most important thing that Bills fans can take away from this game is that Gailey was able to get his team to rebound in a big way off of the first game. Arguably the best half of preseason football the Bills have played in a long time.

Anyways, here are my thoughts, for whatever its worth:

1) Gailey looks to have figured out a way to build an offense around Edwards strengths. He is never going to be great, but he could definitely be capable of getting the job done. Having Parrish involved in the offense looks like its going to be huge for Trent. Jauron is a moron for not letting the guy on the field, good god.

2) The defense is going to have a lot of trouble against the run. They are soft around the edges, mainly because they still lack size w/ their linebackers. That being said, Stroud and Williams looked great as they made their transitions. Maybin didn't get many snaps from what I saw, but he definitely got pressure on both blitzes he was in on. And Ellis looks like he has adapted pretty well to the 3-4.

3) This secondary might not have last year's success now that the Bills are rocking the 3-4, but they are capable of big plays. I'm not just saying that bc of McGee, I'm saying that because it is by far the defense's best unit. And McKelvin looked real strong in his reps. Don't forget how much big play ability that kid has.

4) Spiller is obviously a talent. I'm impressed, though not surprised with his performance. I would have loved an LT, but this kid was well worth the pick.

5) The O-line is going to get people hurt this year, I hate to say it. I expect improvements from the G's, but Green is looking like a shorter version of Langston Walker. Slow feet and Trent almost got Eli Manning'd

6) Pass rush looks improved, but still lackluster. I maintain that Maybin will make a difference at some point this year. Crossing my fingers.

7) Where is S. Nelson? Does anyone know? Did he not suit up? I haven't heard much about him in these two preseason games. I love his talent, though I understand he can't block and Gailey is not a fan of TE's who can't block.

8) Get the !@#$ out of Toronto. No one is there.

Overall, the sky isn't falling. This is the team I expected to watch. A team that is not going to go down easy, though clearly has a way to go. Lots of promise though.

I see some things have improved over last week. One that still hasn't is the offensive line. The just doesn't seem much aggressivness. The wr's still have some work to do. The coaching needs to still get some ins and outs done. Not as much to complain about but still work to be done.

I see some things have improved over last week. One that still hasn't is the offensive line. The just doesn't seem much aggressivness. The wr's still have some work to do. The coaching needs to still get some ins and outs done. Not as much to complain about but still work to be done.

Bell didn't look bad.. I hope he continues to improve..

Four things.

1. The offensive play calling is much better. We finally have an NFL worthy OC calling the plays.

2. Our OL will keep us from being a playoff team this year.

3. The defense will be ok in the 3-4 but we still needs help with the front 7.

4. Special teams will get better after the next round of cuts.

The bills are load at running back, now with this J. Bell. How do they cut this guy and would they carry 4 backs?

I think that they could put J.Bell on the practice squad and use him as the 1st RB to be called up if/when Lynch/Spiller/Freddie get hurt. Its good to be deep at a position. Unless J. Bell is ineligible to be put on the PS for some reason.

I think that they could put J.Bell on the practice squad and use him as the 1st RB to be called up if/when Lynch/Spiller/Freddie get hurt. Its good to be deep at a position. Unless J. Bell is ineligible to be put on the PS for some reason.

Nope he is a rookie, so he can be waived and signed to the PS.

With the way he's playing, someone might claim him...

Trouble is Chad Simpson looks great as well.

PTR

I don't think he looked that great tonight. Also, Simpson has a bit more experience and a (small admittedly) body of work in the NFL. Right now, based only on their performance in two preseason games, I'd keep Bell over Simpson.

With both Jackson and Lynch possibly not ready for the opener, I can't see how the Bills won't carry 4 RBs on the final 53, at least to start the season.

Your backup RBs have to contribute on special teams, otherwise they're a waste of a gameday roster spot. (unless somebody happens to get hurt during the game) I noticed Bell was on most of the coverage units tonight. IMO he'll have to show that he can contribute in that capacity to beat Simpson out for that 4th spot.

My thoughts:

D.Bell did well against Freeny. Our LT play will be better this year than expected.

Edwards didn't complete an intermediate pass over the middle, and I was not impressed other than one deep ball to an open receiver. But 14 points are 14 points.

I thought Brohm looked good and we will end up letting Fitz go. If Brohm had got a TD out of the 1st and goal and Trent had overthrown Lee I think we would have a depth chart controverfsy, but absent those two hypothetically different snaps, Trent stays at the top. Next week will determine the season starter with Brohm having to significantly outperform trent to leapfrog Trent.

Even though we are progressing slowly, I like Chan calling the plays, and think he will get points out of Trent, Lee, Spiller, Roscoe, etc. Very nice to see some smart calls.

The defense is still progressing at the front seven, but I don't think we will be a step back from last year, and I expect progress through the season. I am worried against the run as we learn, but think we will get a better pass rush, and like what that could do for our already strong pass defense.

So no 0-16 doom, and I am glad that is behind us, and a fun exciting team to watch grow. Still some bumps ahead, but it should be fun.

I don't think he looked that great tonight. Also, Simpson has a bit more experience and a (small admittedly) body of work in the NFL. Right now, based only on their performance in two preseason games, I'd keep Bell over Simpson.

Stats clearly show Bell had a better night; and I never argue with numbers. If my dumbass was calling the shots, I'd keep Lynch, Spiller and Bell.

On the Spiller run, you could see his superior speed to our other backs, Jackson included. The first 4 yards were due to solid blocking, but all of them (except maybe Jackson), would have been too slow to turn it up field and gotten no more. You could see how Spiller can keep defenders off him with his speed. That alone should be worth another 4 to 5 TD's this season.