Gailey already blaming O-Line

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Au contrare mon frere. You can B word and moan all you want, but the Bills are what they are. They are where they are. 10 years later, THIS IS WHAT WE GOT!! This is year one of this regime. They have had less than a year to assemble this team. That being said, if next year looks like last year, rest assured my season tix count will go down. I don't make excuses for anyone. But if you think that fans have anything to do with the direction of the team, you are delusional.

Likewise, if you think they could have secured a QB, LT, RT, 2 WRs, a TE, a Defensive line and at least 2 starting LBs in 1 year, back off the hooka.

Ok let's use your logic and the proverbial "can't do it all in 1 year" excuse. You say (and I would agree) that we needed to get better in the following areas: QB, LT, RT, WR, TE, DL, LB. So with the #9 pick we take RB? When we have 2 starters already and Bell and the kid from Indy (who both look good). So w/o Spiller we were set at RB, do I have to name all the players at the positions you mentioned we passed on in round 1? I really don't want to hear about value either because value IS determined by team needs. What's valuable to one team is not necessarily valuable to the next. Spiller may have been valuable to the Texans but not to us.

And if you don't like to be insulted back stop the delusional and drugs references to those who share a different opinion.

This isn't a fact board, it's an opinion board so neither of us is wrong or right, just see things very different.

We just have to wait and see how our guys play. One thing that is curious about our draft - which I liked a lot - was how other teams rated Troupe. San Diego grabbed Thomas with the 5th round pick of theirs and he's looking really good. Better than Troupe, thus far. Were there LT candidates at our 2nd round pick that could have been upgrades for us? I'd bet there were a few... and that would be big, because we could've then moved Demetrius to RT and had a solid line. Or, even a really good Guard, and we could've moved Wood to Center and not had to worry about the interior of our line, and had a better running game for it. Hangartner is going to have to play much better this year, against some good Defensive linemen, if we want to do anything offensively. People always mention the tackles and pressure, but we will see much of it from the inside, if he doesn't play better for us this year.

We just have to wait and see how our guys play. One thing that is curious about our draft - which I liked a lot - was how other teams rated Troupe. San Diego grabbed Thomas with the 5th round pick of theirs and he's looking really good. Better than Troupe, thus far. Were there LT candidates at our 2nd round pick that could have been upgrades for us? I'd bet there were a few... and that would be big, because we could've then moved Demetrius to RT and had a solid line. Or, even a really good Guard, and we could've moved Wood to Center and not had to worry about the interior of our line, and had a better running game for it. Hangartner is going to have to play much better this year, against some good Defensive linemen, if we want to do anything offensively. People always mention the tackles and pressure, but we will see much of it from the inside, if he doesn't play better for us this year.

And this is based on...? As for the LT candidates, the only guys were Charles Brown and Bruce Campbell, but neither figures to see much action this year, and that's not because they have good players in front of them.

Did you watch the last Pittsburgh preseason game ... the guy looked like a turnstile - he was abused.

Roethlisberger spun him around and had his skirt up over his head before he even had a chance to finish his roophy laced beer!

:beer::huh::wallbash::P:cry::bag:

Gailey/Nix have no one to blame but themselves. Even if that quote is from months ago, they knew full well we needed OL and QB help above all else. They neglected both and took a huge gamble on the luxury pick Spiller above a potential franchise Qb and/or building the OL. They passed on Clausen and more quality OL prospects in round 2 also (at least Troup was a need fill). To argue that there "was no value at OL/QB" at our picks of 9 and 42 is assinine.

Now their beds are made and they will have to sleep in them.

what part was assinine exactly? What LT are you taking at number 9? Which QB? Yeah throw the 42nd pick in there to boost your argument, but wait you already argued it was a good need pick, nevermind.

While I expect the OL to be a problem for the Bills this year, it should be mentioned THREE starting linemen were out for the last game.

Just sayin'...

At some point Bills fans are going to realize that the starting lineman on this team are just the guys that started that particular game. When you have old or injury prone starters, you get games missed to injury. And let's face it, Jamon Meredith for Demetrius Bells is not like Jerry Crafts standing in for Anthony Munoz.

At some point Bills fans are going to realize that the starting lineman on this team are just the guys that started that particular game. When you have old or injury prone starters, you get games missed to injury. And let's face it, Jamon Meredith for Demetrius Bells is not like Jerry Crafts standing in for Anthony Munoz.

Like I said, I expect it to be a problem this year. But facts is facts.

It has been no mystery that the Bills FO cant judge talent. Just look at who their scouts have determined worthy of a first round selection vrs the players they apssed over. Look at jackson who was third fiddle to A. Thomas. J. Greer, J. Leonard etc.

These evaluations are not just on the coaching staff, but also on the scouts. NFL scouts SCOUT THEIR OWN TEMS DURING TRAINING CAMP - and advise the coaches who to cut/who to retain. I would assume the coach has final say but he does get lots of imput from the scouting staff. The Bills have been FAR FAR FAR below par in this area for over a decade. They need an improvement in this area more than QB...

The Bills only employ 6 scouts to cover the entire country

and then let their boss work part-time from home in Florida on a semi-retired basis 

and then let his boss work part-time from his home in Tennessee on a semi-retired basis.

anyone seeing a pattern as to what the problem may be in finding and evaluating talent

Our line stinks- even when healthy. Its a fact. Why did Nix take a RB? Because neither Lynch nor Jackson are building block players, and none of the OLs left at the time were either.

Spiller could be the first player on either side of the ball that the other team has to respect or fear since Eric Moulds. And no, neither Schobel nor Evans fit into that category.

I can't see a team in the league I think we should be favored against. That is ok- we are rebuilding, something we should have done years ago. All our moves need to be for the long term, not winning now- what we do on the field should be about trying to win now

So you're saying Cordaro Howard is just as good, or even virtually as good, as Eric Wood? Or that Kirk Chambers, who has started 14 games in his 5 year NFL career (all of them during the past 3 years with the Bills, and 9 of them last year alone), is as good as Cornell Green? Hey, it's a theory.

Our line stinks- even when healthy. Its a fact. Why did Nix take a RB? Because neither Lynch nor Jackson are building block players, and none of the OLs left at the time were either.

Perhaps Nix took a RB because he thought the Bills had the makings of a good OL and wanted to run the ball more this year?

Perhaps Nix took a RB because he thought the Bills had the makings of a good OL and wanted to run the ball more this year?

I doubt it. He knows we aren't good anywhere and took the best player available.

I was just waiting for this excuse. I knew it was coming and now that he said it confirms my belief that Nix seriously screwed up this offseason by not addressing the O-Line. Gailey says in an article from Chris Brown yesterday that: a QB can't throw downfield while he's scrambling for his life or lying on his back, we got to protect better (paraphrasing).

They are already using the poor oline as an excuse for Trent's failure to throw past 4 yards. I know we played w/o some starters on the oline Friday night but doubt Cornhole Green would do much better. The fact that Nix did nothing to shore up our oline this past offseason will kill this team, something I've been saying since the draft ended . The Bills have alot of money to spend, no cap, no Schobel, small payroll; would it kill them to bring in a Flozell-Jamal Brown-Marcus Mcneil etc.

Damit Ralph spend some money and get us some NFL tackles! Nix get out of bed before noon, put down the Metamucil, pick up the rotary dial phone and do something-Oh Yeah it's too late for this year so go back to bed.

well...then you draft a tackle higher than the 5th round.

I doubt it. He knows we aren't good anywhere and took the best player available.

This.

Running the ball will be what the Bills do because they don't have a line that can protect, a good (or durable) QB, and have nobody other than Lee Evans and their RBs as weapons. It's called taking your lumps.

I was just waiting for this excuse. I knew it was coming and now that he said it confirms my belief that Nix seriously screwed up this offseason by not addressing the O-Line. Gailey says in an article from Chris Brown yesterday that: a QB can't throw downfield while he's scrambling for his life or lying on his back, we got to protect better (paraphrasing).

They are already using the poor oline as an excuse for Trent's failure to throw past 4 yards. I know we played w/o some starters on the oline Friday night but doubt Cornhole Green would do much better. The fact that Nix did nothing to shore up our oline this past offseason will kill this team, something I've been saying since the draft ended . The Bills have alot of money to spend, no cap, no Schobel, small payroll; would it kill them to bring in a Flozell-Jamal Brown-Marcus Mcneil etc.

Damit Ralph spend some money and get us some NFL tackles! Nix get out of bed before noon, put down the Metamucil, pick up the rotary dial phone and do something-Oh Yeah it's too late for this year so go back to bed.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everybody already knows this. Gailey said it because it's both true and germane.

You can't address all your weak spots in one year's draft, especially when you're switching defensive schemes and have two and possibly three major weaknesses on the o-line and need a QB and probably a #2 WR. It just can't be done.

They've made it clear that they're going to build through the draft and fill in with low to mid-level FAs. Don't like it? Find another team or avoid any Bills news for a year or two. We don't want to hear the whining. We all know we have major OL problems, well, all but the most seriously deluded.

And this is from a guy who wanted to trade down a few spots and pick Bulaga as long as we didn't get Dan Williams.

So you're saying Cordaro Howard is just as good, or even virtually as good, as Eric Wood? Or that Kirk Chambers, who has started 14 games in his 5 year NFL career (all of them during the past 3 years with the Bills, and 9 of them last year alone), is as good as Cornell Green? Hey, it's a theory.

I agree with you about Cordaro. But getting better at one position, and the fact that that position is RG, the second-least imjportant position in the line, isn't going to turn our offense into a juggernaut.

But yeah, Chambers is almost as good as Cornell Green. Green had trouble starting last year on the Raiders. He is a journeyman, and that's pretty much what Chambers is too. Green wins out with experience but is not all that much better.