PGA Screwjob

shrader

I've been a Bubba fan for years, sucks that he had to hit such a poor shot.

Yeah, that was a shame. But holy crap, I couldn't believe he almost holed that bunker shot. My wife would have thrown a fit if this thing went another hole.

Golf is going to be fun to watch for a long time, lots of good young players. Rory Mcilroy is going to net about 5 majors in his career.

There really are, and that's why the Tiger era is over moreso than his personal issues. There are just too many good young players who aren't intimidated for any one guy to dominate.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These young guys have to actually win one first though. What I see now is a bunch of guys who don't have a clue how to finish. Sure, that should happen at some point, but the tour is full of guys that we're still waiting to see their first win, whether it's a younger guy like Sergio or one of the now old timers like Montgomery.

The difference I've seen so far is a lot of these guys have more complete games and don't have the fragile psyche of the likes of Sergio. Time will tell.

The difference I've seen so far is a lot of these guys have more complete games and don't have the fragile psyche of the likes of Sergio. Time will tell.

I think the very fact that Dustin Johnson was competing at the end of this thing shows that he's got the mental fortitude, considering what happened at Pebble Beach.

Sucks, yes....screwjob, no, it was a bunker. Rules are rules and these guys know them. This type of situation was specifically pointed out to all of the golfers.

Thank you!! Also, it is not the PGA that makes the rules. It is the USGA and the R&A that govern the game. The PGA made the "local rule" about the bunkers. Also, there are no rules officals that stand beside every golfer on every shot. Players govern themselves for the most part.

Also, there are no rules officals that stand beside every golfer on every shot. Players govern themselves for the most part.

I don't know how the bigger events do it, but I worked as a caddy one year at an LPGA Futures event and we had one instance where we had to call on a cell phone to get an official to come out and verify what the rule would be on a shot of hitting it out of some brush versus taking a drop.

I don't know how the bigger events do it, but I worked as a caddy one year at an LPGA Futures event and we had one instance where we had to call on a cell phone to get an official to come out and verify what the rule would be on a shot of hitting it out of some brush versus taking a drop.

That's my point. The rules officals are only there if there is a question. The players are expected to know the rules and abide by them.

I think the very fact that Dustin Johnson was competing at the end of this thing shows that he's got the mental fortitude, considering what happened at Pebble Beach.

I don't know. Johnson has imploded twice now on the big stage. The Pebble Beach one was obvious, but this was a bit of an implosion too even without the club grounding. All he had to do was lay off a bit and hit a straight tee shot and that tourney is probably his. Both of his first 2 shots on 18 were completely unnecessary and put him in trouble. The putt was no gimme either, but he probably should have hit it.

The one I'm most curious to see is where McIlroy goes. He seems to be right up there at most of these majors now, which is downright impressive for a 21 year old.

One other thought. The push of the younger guys is obvious, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the older guys stepped up next year and took things over again.

I am not a golfer... Can somebody clearly explain the situation... :lol: What did he do wrong?

If you're in a hazard you can't touch the ground with your club at any point other than when you hit the ball. He grounded his club at least once prior to the shot.

If you're in a hazard you can't touch the ground with your club at any point other than when you hit the ball. He grounded his club at least once prior to the shot.

THNX! Why is that? That you can't gound your club. Is it because it tears up the course? And if it is a harzard, who cares if it is torn up...

THNX! Why is that? That you can't gound your club. Is it because it tears up the course? And if it is a harzard, who cares if it is torn up...

The reasoning, I think, is that the penalty for hitting into a hazard is not being able to judge the nature and consistency of the hazard, so a little guess work has to go into any sand-shot.

Really though, it's just one of golf's dumb rules. Did you know that if you hit the ball, and the ball hits a tree in front of you and ricochets back and hits you, it's a 2-stroke penalty? My dad enforced that on me once.

Thank you!! Also, it is not the PGA that makes the rules. It is the USGA and the R&A that govern the game. The PGA made the "local rule" about the bunkers. Also, there are no rules officals that stand beside every golfer on every shot. Players govern themselves for the most part.

Actually this tourney is unique in that each group actually had a PGA pro who was acting as a rules guy. Johnson should have asked him before he went in. But as someone else mentioned the caddy should be fired as he should have known and warned Johnson. i blame him more than Johnson for that.

The reasoning, I think, is that the penalty for hitting into a hazard is not being able to judge the nature and consistency of the hazard, so a little guess work has to go into any sand-shot.

Really though, it's just one of golf's dumb rules. Did you know that if you hit the ball, and the ball hits a tree in front of you and ricochets back and hits you, it's a 2-stroke penalty? My dad enforced that on me once.

Don't hit the tree.

That, and you could improve your lie by grounding the club. Say the ball is buried in the sand and you repeatedly ground your club behind the ball moving the sand away. You've just made the shot easier by removing the sand.

Not a dumb rule in my mind. If you could ground your club, you could move sand,sticks, etc that would improve your lie. It is called a hazard for a reason :wallbash: I have no problem with this penalty being called, it was the right decison.

Hey Jack, cool you caddied at the Futures event. We just had the Duramed Futures event at our club this weekend. I didn't caddie this year due to some other obligations, but have the previous two years. But still made it out for the final round yesterday.Lot of fun watching these girls trying to make the tour. BTW, do like the golf attire some of these young ladies wear now as well :lol:

Actually this tourney is unique in that each group actually had a PGA pro who was acting as a rules guy. Johnson should have asked him before he went in. But as someone else mentioned the caddy should be fired as he should have known and warned Johnson. i blame him more than Johnson for that.

His error was in not reading the special rules sheet handed out to each player and posted in the locker room. Rule #1 on this announcement was that all bunkers on the golf course (ouside the gallery ropes) were considered bunkers and not waste areas. Bunkers = can't ground a club. Waste area = can ground a club. I feel sorry for him losing, but he should have read the local rule established by the tournament committee.

My dad did that once. He hit a tiny tree that had just been planted and it somehow riccocheted back and hit him in the leg. Funniest thing I've ever seen. The tree was so small that there was no way that should have happened, but somehow it did. I wish I had thought to mention the 2 stroke penalty. That would have been even better.

And for anyone who watched the playoff, they saw that the rules officials were quickly offering up options to Watson on where he could drop his ball after he hit it into the water. He wasn't even asking and the guy was quick to mention that he could also go to the other side or back on the line of flight, into the fairway. So if they're only there to answer questions, he overstepped his bounds a bit.

His error was in not reading the special rules sheet handed out to each player and posted in the locker room. Rule #1 on this announcement was that all bunkers on the golf course (ouside the gallery ropes) were considered bunkers and not waste areas. Bunkers = can't ground a club. Waste area = can ground a club. I feel sorry for him losing, but he should have read the local rule established by the tournament committee.

They needed to clear the people out of the thing while he was hitting. With them standing there, no one had a clue how big the thing was and it definitely looked like a small patch of sand. They screwed up big time and you can be sure they'll change things up majorly in 2015 because of it.