PGA Screwjob

shrader

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PGA has successfully made an ass out of themselves once again with their arcane and asinine rules. I don't care one way or the other about Johnson, but to get hosed like that is bull ****.

How the hell is it considered a bunker when there are 5000 people walking through it and the grounds crew dumped straw in it for foot traffic? There's no way in hell anyone with a sound mind would consider what he hit off of a "bunker."

Ouch...it would have been even worse if he had made the last putt and had the trophy in his hands.

You gotta feel for the guy but that is the nature of that type of course and from the comments by the official, it sounds like the players were warned about this type of situation. Plus, the way he stepped back immediately after he grounded the club makes me think he might have known he screwed up right then.

Now we can commence with all the anti-golf comments about overly technical rules.

The PGA has successfully made an ass out of themselves once again with their arcane and asinine rules. I don't care one way or the other about Johnson, but to get hosed like that is bull ****.

How the hell is it considered a bunker when there are 5000 people walking through it and the grounds crew dumped straw in it for foot traffic? There's no way in hell anyone with a sound mind would consider what he hit off of a "bunker."

I noticed it the second he backed off an had his caddie block the light, but never thought twice about it. Hell, I was completely shocked to see the ball in sand since it was dead center in the crowd. Someone's going to win this thing and they'll feel great about it, but they'll always have this screwjob in the back of their heads.

Now imagine if he had sunk the "par" putt.

Ouch...it would have been even worse if he had made the last putt and had the trophy in his hands.

You gotta feel for the guy but that is the nature of that type of course and from the comments by the official, it sounds like the players were warned about this type of situation. Plus, the way he stepped back immediately after he grounded the club makes me think he might have known he screwed up right then.

Now we can commence with all the anti-golf comments about overly technical rules.

I think he stepped back because there was light in his eyes.

I've got no problem with the "grounding of the club in a bunker" rule. The problem was that what he hit out of wasn't even anything close to resembling a bunker. I have a problem with the fact that the PGA deemed anything not in the fairway a "bunker" on the course. If what he hit out of was a "bunker" then the LA Sparks are an NFL team.

Toss in the "penalty if the wind blows your ball on the green" and the "penalty for hitting a stick during your swing that has no effect on your swing or the ball," and the PGA needs to re-think its rules and enter the 20th century for a change. (I figured that asking them to enter the 21st century was asking far too much)

To be fair, all the golfers were specifically warned about varying bunker types. It's a hose job from the perspective of common sense (but when has golf ever been about common sense? :lol: ). BUT Dusty should have consulted with a rules official when he first saw the ball lying in sand.

Better yet, the rules official should have said something to him right away. That would imply that the official following their group was even aware of it.

I have no problem with it being called a bunker, but if that's what it is, keep the damn fans out of it for the entire week.

Agreed. Since when is the gallery allowed to walk all over a live "bunker?"

And as was said on TV, if it is a "bunker," then it should be raked and appropriately maintained.

I have no problem with it being called a bunker, but if that's what it is, keep the damn fans out of it for the entire week.

Look at the course on google earth. Keep the fans out of the bunkers and there are not many places left for the gallery to go. I doubt they want the fans in the bunkers, but it also needs to be a fan friendly tournament. All players had to play out of them if they hit a bad enough shot, so every player is on a common ground.

Agreed. Since when is the gallery allowed to walk all over a live "bunker?"

And as was said on TV, if it is a "bunker," then it should be raked and appropriately maintained.

Apparently they told the players that bunkers outside of the ropes would be considered 'live' bunkers, so they had to make the ruling they did. You can't really control the gallery outside the ropes, so there you go.

It seems a little crazy, but my guess they wanted didn't want to limit the impact of the links style to just the area inside the ropes.

That last hole in the playoff was pretty wild too.

Apparently they told the players that bunkers outside of the ropes would be considered 'live' bunkers, so they had to make the ruling they did. You can't really control the gallery outside the ropes, so there you go.

It seems a little crazy, but my guess they wanted didn't want to limit the impact of the links style to just the area inside the ropes.

That last hole in the playoff was pretty wild too.

I've been a Bubba fan for years, sucks that he had to hit such a poor shot.

Golf is going to be fun to watch for a long time, lots of good young players. Rory Mcilroy is going to net about 5 majors in his career.

Golf is going to be fun to watch for a long time, lots of good young players. Rory Mcilroy is going to net about 5 majors in his career.

There's also a young Japanese player (I think 19) named Ryo Ishikawa who will be contending for majors for a long long time.

Everyone's bemoaning the downfall of Tiger, but this might be the most exciting golf has ever been since Tiger first arrived IMO.

These young guys have to actually win one first though. What I see now is a bunch of guys who don't have a clue how to finish. Sure, that should happen at some point, but the tour is full of guys that we're still waiting to see their first win, whether it's a younger guy like Sergio or one of the now old timers like Montgomery.

There's also a young Japanese player (I think 19) named Ryo Ishikawa who will be contending for majors for a long long time.

Everyone's bemoaning the downfall of Tiger, but this might be the most exciting golf has ever been since Tiger first arrived IMO.

What will really be fun, is if in 2-3 years all of these young hotshots start to mature and Tiger gets his game back. Would make for some great battles at the majors.