Sale of 30% interest in an NFL team to "launch" in 9/10

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This post RW thing really is a great mystery. Publically, RW has shared almost nothing about any plans or arrangements for the team, although I believe there has been a fairly consistent message that for estate reasons, the team will be sold to the highest bidder. If this is the case, I do think it will be hard to keep the team in Buffalo, for a variety of reasons, including issues relating to debt that will needed to buy the team, the stadium, the size of the market, the local economy, ticket prices etc.

Our best hope really would be that RW sells a percentage of the team now to a someone who wants to keep the team in Buffalo with an option for the purchaser to buy the remaining interest at a later time. Absent that, I think we will have a problem in the near future.

I really hope that our local officials, governor and senators are not, and will not be, passive about this situation. We will need their active engagement if there is any hope to keep the Bills in Buffalo over the long term.

The way to avoid this is for some young, handsome guy to marry Ralph's widow when the day comes, so that ownership is handed down through marriage.

Problem solved!

Well then, come on Scott. Step up to the plate and take one for the team! :thumbsup:

too much self pity woe is me in WNY. Theres more money here than people think and I've spoken with the person who helped RW create the structure a long time ago.

He doesnt own this team like you own your house or car. Assurances and safeguards are in place. Its still possible the team leaves but it would look nothing like how people are describing it.

Without disclosing anything that was shared with you in confidence, can you tell us when the "person who helped Ralph create the structure" says that the structure was actually created? Thanks.

this discussion is completely silly.

Ralph is a top notch businessman. He has attorneys working for him who understand the tax implications.

He does not own the team outright but owns the corporation who does; therefore the situation you are all describing isnt relevant.

Ralph cares very much about his legacy, and isnt going to "let the team leave with the highest bidder"

Yes, I have direct knowledge of this.

There is no corporate ownership of teams in the NFL. It has to be owned by an individual or individuals New ownership requires one owner to have at least 30% stake in the team.

There is no corporate ownership of teams in the NFL. It has to be owned by an individual or individuals New ownership requires one owner to have at least 30% stake in the team.

A few questions:

1. Aren't the Green Bay Packers owned by a corporation, shares of which are owned by a lot of individuals in the greater Green Bay community? I didn't research that today, but I think I've seen that reported by the news media in the past.

2. Couldn't a requirement for one owner to have at least a 30% ownership stake in a team be satisfied if an individual owned all, or even a controllong 51%, of the shares of a corporation that actually owned the team?

3. Do you have a link to any reputable source to support the "no corporate ownership of NFL teams" idea?

Seems like there's a lot of different fan opinions about how ownership is or must be structured, and it would be nice to get the facts, whatever they may be.

Thanks in advance.

A few questions:

1. Aren't the Green Bay Packers owned by a corporation, shares of which are owned by a lot of individuals in the greater Green Bay community? I didn't research that today, but I think I've seen that reported by the news media in the past.

2. Couldn't a requirement for one owner to have at least a 30% ownership stake in a team be satisfied if an individual owned all, or even a controllong 51%, of the shares of a corporation that actually owned the team?

3. Do you have a link to any reputable source to support the "no corporate ownership of NFL teams" idea?

Seems like there's a lot of different fan opinions about how ownership is or must be structured, and it would be nice to get the facts, whatever they may be.

Thanks in advance.

Green Bay was allowed an exception way back when, but after that the league closed the door to this. It is not allowed anymore, but the Pack was allowed to keep this structure.