I am now a fan of Rex Ryan and...

DarthICE

A couple of things. First, the 2006 CBA said that you can only franchise a player twice. So the Raiders had to give him a new deal. Second of all, Bailey's cap number might have been $15M, but his average salary and guarantees were much lower than NA got. They sorely overpaid, as they've done on numerous occasions, and have been been the ones raising prices for players.

Yes, the Raiders had to give Asomgha a new deal.

The Raiders had to determine a fair price for the best player on their team and the best cornerback in football.

As far as overpaying Asomoghu? I don't know.

"Asomugha was selected as the Raiders Team Captain for the 2007 season. Opposing quarterbacks tested him only 31 times with a mere 10 completions the entire season. One NFL scout told Pro Football Weekly that Asomugha was thrown at "less than any defender in the last ten years" in 2007...Asomugha was again selected a team captain before the 2008 season. Opposing quarterbacks tested him only 27 times the entire season resulting in just 8 completions. Only perennial all-pros Randy Moss (3 receptions, 40 yards) and Tony Gonzalez (2 receptions, 34 yards) would catch more than one ball on him during the year. New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Asomugha is "as complete a cornerback as he has seen all year...A team captain again in 2009 and the NFL's least targeted cornerback by an extremely wide margin, Asomugha was challenged by opposing quarterbacks only 27 times and allowed 13 completions the entire season. After his performance against the Houston Texans, head coach Gary Kubiak said "Asomugha is the best (corner) I've seen in a while throughout this league. He's big, he's fast, they put him out there on an island the whole game. He's an exceptional player." [13] Similar to the past three seasons, Asomugha finished the 2009 season with 34 tackles, 1 interception, and was second in the league with 8 tackles for loss from the cornerback position. Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said "The guy is truly unbelievable. He made himself the best corner in football by his work ethic, the way he studies tape, and he's so smart."

Rob Ryan, Rex's brother calling Asomugha the best cornerback in football.

Asomugha signed his mega contract after two seasons in which he was thrown at a total of 58 times, and allowed only 18 completions for a 31% completion rate.

Asomugha is very likely as good if not better than Revis. This year the Raiders plan on letting him lock down a single receiver a la Revis rather than force him to play one side of the field as they have in the past.

The only reason Nnamdi Asomugha is still a relative unknown is because he doesn't have many interceptions (because he's never thrown at) and because he plays for the Oakland Raiders who are currently a laughing stock.

Finally, the contract which really inflated cornerbacks salaries was the contract Champ Bailey signed in 2004…seven years ago.

That contract is for 7 years and $63 million…$9 million per year. Again it was signed 7 years ago.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I kind of buy in to the fact the players like Rex Ryan. He's lound and abrasive but the players seem to like that. Beating a dead horse here but it was rough for me watching that last night. Just kept thinking, they have him and we have Chan Gailey.

Chan is coming off as this tough guy, take no prisoners, etc. I get the fans digging this attitude after Jauron. But frankly, it's still Chan Gailey. Hope I'm wrong but it would be a surprise if the results are THAT much different. The Bills have a tough enough time as is bringing in free agents. Instead of hiring old retreads, I wish Ralph would take a chance on younger, energetic guy like Ryan.

Like a Mularkey or a Gregg Williams? No thanks. I'll go for old school Chan Gailey any day.

I love the way their owner is handling the Revis situation. It is about the GROUP, the TEAM, not one friggin player.

I hope they hold thier position and let revis sit all season. If all owners would handle things this way, the cap and salaries wouldn't be out of hand.

You'll see the jets will be like the Mets of the early 90's,.... Great on Paper,... But old. Yeah those guyslook good now, Lets see week 12.

I love the way their owner is handling the Revis situation. It is about the GROUP, the TEAM, not one friggin player.

I hope they hold thier position and let revis sit all season. If all owners would handle things this way, the cap and salaries wouldn't be out of hand.

The Patriots are famous for this as well (read: Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Seymour, etc). I think the Bills are right to adapt the same approach, and was always shocked when people blasted the Bills for doing the same thing in the Jason Peters trade.

Peters did not want to be in Buffalo and/or thought himself greater than the TEAM to the point of handicapping the offense by his absence while demanding a new contract (despite having already signed one). He would offset the salary structure of the team at the time, and after 2 years of the same garbage needed to be dealt.

And Eric Wood has more fire and plays with more passion than Peters had in the entire time he was in Buffalo.

I don't fault Revis for wanting to be paid according to his ability, but if it hurts the team that is the NY Jets, then he should be jettisoned.

Yes, the Raiders had to give Asomgha a new deal.

The Raiders had to determine a fair price for the best player on their team and the best cornerback in football.

As far as overpaying Asomoghu? I don't know.

"Asomugha was selected as the Raiders Team Captain for the 2007 season. Opposing quarterbacks tested him only 31 times with a mere 10 completions the entire season. One NFL scout told Pro Football Weekly that Asomugha was thrown at "less than any defender in the last ten years" in 2007...Asomugha was again selected a team captain before the 2008 season. Opposing quarterbacks tested him only 27 times the entire season resulting in just 8 completions. Only perennial all-pros Randy Moss (3 receptions, 40 yards) and Tony Gonzalez (2 receptions, 34 yards) would catch more than one ball on him during the year. New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Asomugha is "as complete a cornerback as he has seen all year...A team captain again in 2009 and the NFL's least targeted cornerback by an extremely wide margin, Asomugha was challenged by opposing quarterbacks only 27 times and allowed 13 completions the entire season. After his performance against the Houston Texans, head coach Gary Kubiak said "Asomugha is the best (corner) I've seen in a while throughout this league. He's big, he's fast, they put him out there on an island the whole game. He's an exceptional player." [13] Similar to the past three seasons, Asomugha finished the 2009 season with 34 tackles, 1 interception, and was second in the league with 8 tackles for loss from the cornerback position. Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said "The guy is truly unbelievable. He made himself the best corner in football by his work ethic, the way he studies tape, and he's so smart."

Rob Ryan, Rex's brother calling Asomugha the best cornerback in football.

Asomugha signed his mega contract after two seasons in which he was thrown at a total of 58 times, and allowed only 18 completions for a 31% completion rate.

Asomugha is very likely as good if not better than Revis. This year the Raiders plan on letting him lock down a single receiver a la Revis rather than force him to play one side of the field as they have in the past.

The only reason Nnamdi Asomugha is still a relative unknown is because he doesn't have many interceptions (because he's never thrown at) and because he plays for the Oakland Raiders who are currently a laughing stock.

Finally, the contract which really inflated cornerbacks salaries was the contract Champ Bailey signed in 2004…seven years ago.

That contract is for 7 years and $63 million…$9 million per year. Again it was signed 7 years ago.

The 49'ers signed Nate Clements to a 8-year $80M deal (which is actually a 7-year $65M deal since the last year is worth $15M and is voidable). That was 2 years before the Asomugha deal. They also made Tommy Kelly the highest-paid DT in the NFL in 2008, and he'd never even made a Pro Bowl.

It pains me to say if but I really am jealous of what the Jets have been doing the last few years.

All fo their "star acquisitions" they have traded for are on the last years of their deals (Cromartie, B Edwards, S Holmes) Revis wants to be LBJ II, and Tomlinson has no treads left on the tires, he's a downgrade from thomas jones. I expect them to flame out this year... Remember what happened to Edwards his 2nd yr when all the teams had game tape to study?

I don't know. I kind of buy in to the fact the players like Rex Ryan. He's lound and abrasive but the players seem to like that. Beating a dead horse here but it was rough for me watching that last night. Just kept thinking, they have him and we have Chan Gailey.

Chan is coming off as this tough guy, take no prisoners, etc. I get the fans digging this attitude after Jauron. But frankly, it's still Chan Gailey. Hope I'm wrong but it would be a surprise if the results are THAT much different. The Bills have a tough enough time as is bringing in free agents. Instead of hiring old retreads, I wish Ralph would take a chance on younger, energetic guy like Ryan.

I wouldn't endow Ryan with those attributes but add talented and he already tried with Schottenheimer this year. He didn't even pretend to be interested. Even experienced powerhouses like Cowher and Gruden (and to a lesser degree Shanahan) want nothing to do with Buffalo until there is proof that the team has a true commitment to winning.

Like a Mularkey or a Gregg Williams? No thanks. I'll go for old school Chan Gailey any day.
Best we could get and probably the perfect stepping stone to a base respectability so one of the young energetic TALENTED guys will at least consider Buffalo. [similar logic for players]. That's assuming the commitment is real and sustained.

Umm, you did catch the part where T-Rex said if Revis shows up on Sunday morning of opening day he'll start, right?

Yeah, he's really taking a hard line.

There's very little I want more than to see the Jests fall flat on their faces.

You mean the Chan Gailey who has been around winning teams his whole coaching career (save his last stop at KC)? THAT Chan Gailey?

Have you watched any of the press conferences? If Gailey was any more "energetic" about the task at hand I think his head would explode.

Ignorance is bliss -- sorry the Bills didn't sign your "big name" guy.

I also think they should let Revis sit.

As for Rex: He's a blowhard and a douche. Braggarts like that deserve to get their asses kicked, IMO. His father and brother are punks, so it's no surprise he is also a punk.

But I am NOT surprised you really like a blowhard punk. Nope, that makes perfect sense.

Couldn't agree more, on all counts.

The 49'ers signed Nate Clements to a 8-year $80M deal (which is actually a 7-year $65M deal since the last year is worth $15M and is voidable). That was 2 years before the Asomugha deal. They also made Tommy Kelly the highest-paid DT in the NFL in 2008, and he'd never even made a Pro Bowl.

Not sure of your point, Doc.

I made two points.

That Asomugha is not necessarily overpaid.

That the Champ Bailey signing in 2004 was the contract which really threw CB compensation into the stratosphere.

I think you're adding that the Clements deal with San Francisco (two years after the Bailey deal) also raised the bar on CB compensation and that the Tommy Kelly signing by Oakland is proof that the Raiders have been reckless in their spending and have contributed to the overpaying of players at certain positions?

I grant that the Raiders have handed out lots of HORRIBLE contracts (see Javon Walker) but I actually think the Asomugha contract is fair and commensurate with his excellence as a football player (and incidentally as a team leader and person).

Chan has a good record as head coach and has a reputation for knowing what he's doing when the game actually starts. While I am puzzled at the personnel moves (mostly at the non-moves) to date, I think it is way too early to reach any judgment on Gailey one way or the other until he gets at least half of this regular season under his belt. Winning cures a LOT of misgivings.

Not sure of your point, Doc.

I made two points.

That Asomugha is not necessarily overpaid.

That the Champ Bailey signing in 2004 was the contract which really threw CB compensation into the stratosphere.

I think you're adding that the Clements deal with San Francisco (two years after the Bailey deal) also raised the bar on CB compensation and that the Tommy Kelly signing by Oakland is proof that the Raiders have been reckless in their spending and have contributed to the overpaying of players at certain positions?

I grant that the Raiders have handed out lots of HORRIBLE contracts (see Javon Walker) but I actually think the Asomugha contract is fair and commensurate with his excellence as a football player (and incidentally as a team leader and person).

My point was that in 2007 the 49'ers gave Clements a deal averaging $10M/year. Then just 2 years later the Raiders give NA a deal (truly) averaging over $5M more per season. How they determined that 2 year period corresponded to a $5M increase per season is anyone's guess!