I am now a fan of Rex Ryan and...

DarthICE

Not singling you out, but if this were the Bills, we'd have so many fans bitching and moaning about how we're penny pinchers and not committed to winning.

And, to go further, if he was our coach, every one of these "Rex is a douche" characters would be slobbering over "his in your face attitude" and "we haven't had in a long time and desperately needed a guy like this!". All their sigs would be Rex quotes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You like how Rex Ryan has been handling the Revis situation???

As in, repeatedly calling him the best in the league? Lobbing HEAVY criticism at the voters when Revis didn't win Defensive Player of the Year last season? Stating in an interview two weeks ago that if Revis reports to the Jets the night before the opening game, he will be a starter?

Don't you think Sexy Rexy is probably the #1 reason for Revis's holdout? Don't you think it's Rex's repeated fawning over him that has put the organization in a tough spot? There's no question that when Ryan told reporters last week that they're "preparing as if they're going to play the season without him," it was at the urging of the front office, who are looking for a little help in their bargaining stance.

I've said it before, I appreciate the candor of Ryan. But in certain situations, especially contractual stalemates between his boss and his player, the coachspeak "I have to work with the players who are here in camp" is a required answer. Rex apparently wasn't smart enough to figure that out and somebody has to spell it out for him.

There's nothing wrong with praising your players. It's one of the reasons that players seem to really like playing for Rex Ryan. But some restraint and tact is required at times, which are not his strong suits.

As in, repeatedly calling him the best in the league? Lobbing HEAVY criticism at the voters when Revis didn't win Defensive Player of the Year last season? Stating in an interview two weeks ago that if Revis reports to the Jets the night before the opening game, he will be a starter?

Don't you think Sexy Rexy is probably the #1 reason for Revis's holdout? Don't you think it's Rex's repeated fawning over him that has put the organization in a tough spot? There's no question that when Ryan told reporters last week that they're "preparing as if they're going to play the season without him," it was at the urging of the front office, who are looking for a little help in their bargaining stance.

No.

I'm betting that Revis could tell he was the best in the league evey week last season. He can read and watch TV pretty well too, I'm betting.

Suggesting that a HC stating the obvious AND praising one of his team's best players is equivalent to contractual sabatage against the FO is bizarre.

I've said it before, I appreciate the candor of Ryan. But in certain situations, especially contractual stalemates between his boss and his player, the coachspeak "I have to work with the players who are here in camp" is a required answer. Rex apparently wasn't smart enough to figure that out and somebody has to spell it out for him.

There's nothing wrong with praising your players. It's one of the reasons that players seem to really like playing for Rex Ryan. But some restraint and tact is required at times, which are not his strong suits.

/thread

It's fine for a coach to build up and compliment his players, but it's just plain dumb to speak in absolutes like "best in the league", especially when an elite player is on a relatively small contract.

Like Mr. WEO said, Revis might've held out anyway, but Ryan certainly didn't help out the Jets front office.

No.

I'm betting that Revis could tell he was the best in the league evey week last season. He can read and watch TV pretty well too, I'm betting.

Suggesting that a HC stating the obvious AND praising one of his team's best players is equivalent to contractual sabatage against the FO is bizarre.

Right, he can read. Read quotes of his head coach saying he's the best player in the NFL.

But again, I have no problem with him praising his players or stating the obvious last season.

I think the entire offseason and the first week of Revis's holdout, Rex's comments didn't sit well with the Jets brass, and only reinforced to Revis that his perceived self-worth is accurate.

The coach is not the organization, he's an employee too. But he is typically the mouthpiece of the organization, and with Rex, that's not always a good thing. He's not always on the same page as the boys in the suits. "He's under contract and we expect him to be here" or "I'm coaching the players who are here" would have sufficed. Instead Rex was essentially lobbying against the organization on behalf of Revis.

And, to go further, if he was our coach, every one of these "Rex is a douche" characters would be slobbering over "his in your face attitude" and "we haven't had in a long time and desperately needed a guy like this!". All their sigs would be Rex quotes.

WRONG! I wouldn't. Sorry.

This is yet another example of how the Raiders screw the whole league up. They gave Asamugah 16 million a year which is 3 mil a year more than any other DB in the league. Now Revis wants to be the highest paid. How do you give a corner 17 million a year? What is he- Peyton freaking Manning?

Incidentallu, the Raiders almost screwed us over by giving the guy they picked ahead of Spiller an outrageous out of line contract. Once again proving there is an owner in the league more senile than our very own Ralph.

Man, I can't keep track of these Samoan players now days. I never even heard of this guy. <_<

Anyway, though, I totally agree with you. In an already insane league, the Raiders keep distinguishing themselves as even more crazy than everyone else.

I love the way their owner is handling the Revis situation. It is about the GROUP, the TEAM, not one friggin player.

I hope they hold thier position and let revis sit all season. If all owners would handle things this way, the cap and salaries wouldn't be out of hand.

He is the one who created this situation with the non stop boasting of Revis. What do you expect the guy to do? He is probably the best player in the league defensively, I do not blame him one bit for wanting to get paid more than the 750K he gets this year.

Rex is a retard and will run that team into the ground sooner or later. They have to pay Ferguson, Mangold and Harris soon. Revis will probably break the bank.

I would do cart wheels in traffic if they let Mangold go, maybe we can pass on him AGAIN!!

No.

He sure as hell isn't making it any easier on them.

Right, he can read. Read quotes of his head coach saying he's the best player in the NFL.

But again, I have no problem with him praising his players or stating the obvious last season.

I think the entire offseason and the first week of Revis's holdout, Rex's comments didn't sit well with the Jets brass, and only reinforced to Revis that his perceived self-worth is accurate.

The coach is not the organization, he's an employee too. But he is typically the mouthpiece of the organization, and with Rex, that's not always a good thing. He's not always on the same page as the boys in the suits. "He's under contract and we expect him to be here" or "I'm coaching the players who are here" would have sufficed. Instead Rex was essentially lobbying against the organization on behalf of Revis.

The first two bolded sentences restate my point and counter yours.

The last bolded statement is just nonsense. Show me where Ryan has said that Revis should hold out, is justified in holding out or should even be paid more than any other CB in the league.

If you can't, then you are simply left with a HC stating what everyone already agrees is true. Why is this one person the only human who can't utter this obvious truth in public? How can Ryan mentioning the obvious have any effect on Revis's "perceived self-worth"? You really think that if Ryan said nothing about this CB, and instead let every other person in the world say it instead ("he's the best"), Revis's "perceived self worth" would actually be less than it is now??

Holy cow!

I also think they should let Revis sit.

As for Rex: He's a blowhard and a douche. Braggarts like that deserve to get their asses kicked, IMO. His father and brother are punks, so it's no surprise he is also a punk.

But I am NOT surprised you really like a blowhard punk. Nope, that makes perfect sense.

Totally agree with bolded statement. He'll wear out his welcome in NYC before too long.

I love the way their owner is handling the Revis situation. It is about the GROUP, the TEAM, not one friggin player.

I hope they hold thier position and let revis sit all season. If all owners would handle things this way, the cap and salaries wouldn't be out of hand.

They will pay him one way or the other. Watch and see.

The first two bolded sentences restate my point and counter yours.

The last bolded statement is just nonsense. Show me where Ryan has said that Revis should hold out, is justified in holding out or should even be paid more than any other CB in the league.

If you can't, then you are simply left with a HC stating what everyone already agrees is true. Why is this one person the only human who can't utter this obvious truth in public? How can Ryan mentioning the obvious have any effect on Revis's "perceived self-worth"? You really think that if Ryan said nothing about this CB, and instead let every other person in the world say it instead ("he's the best"), Revis's "perceived self worth" would actually be less than it is now??

Apparently, in a contractual stalemate, you fail to see the difference between a columnist from the NY Post calling Revis the league MVP and the face of the NY Jets franchise calling him the league MVP. Ryan's words and actions have emboldened Revis and have not helped the situation at all. THAT'S my point. I'm not sure what your point is. Ryan's backtracking over the last week, along with Woody Johnson's "My gut feeling is that he won't play" staged interview to ESPN are evidence that the Jets are attempting some damage control after weeks of pumping Revis's tires.

All Ryan had to say was that Revis is a great player and was 1/11th of the #1 defense in the league last year. He has to understand, when he's speaking at the podium with the NY Jets logo behind him, that he's speaking for the Jets. Coachspeak and toeing the company line sucks, but there's times when it's necessary. "I coach the guys who are here, we're preparing as if we'll be without him" is all he had to say.

Also, since you asked, I'd say that Ryan justified Revis's holdout by saying that Revis would start if he showed up an hour before the first game. That's not a good way to get a guy into camp, and doesn't send a great message to the 70 guys sweating through two-a-days.

Hmmmm. Who is the douche in this conversation so far?

Don't sweat it CM, Dean is a !@#$ing moron like most of the idiots on Bills boards. All they do is whine, B word and complain all the time thinking they understand the game of football.

I am waiting for Ralphs Death so the new owner moves them outta WNY so they finally have a shot at being something again. I wonder what the over/ under will be on Suicides in the WNY area when that happens?