First depth chart

Heitz

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...rst-depth-chart

Not many surprises - guess the reports on Hardy and McKelvin were right...

Can Friday just get here already?

i have questions: who's buffalo bills depth chart is this? is it espn's? is it tim graham's? who's is it? it is not the official buffalo bills depth chart because they have not revealed it yet - as it is not on the official site's web page - and i do not think that coach gailey or gm nix release this kind of informaiton through media reporters - not doubting the content or accuracy of the information at all here - just wondering who's depth chart it is.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have questions: who's buffalo bills depth chart is this? is it espn's? is it tim graham's? who's is it? it is not the official buffalo bills depth chart because they have not revealed it yet - as it is not on the official site's web page - and i do not think that coach gailey or gm nix release this kind of informaiton through media reporters - not doubting the content or accuracy of the information at all here - just wondering who's depth chart it is.

It helps to read the article.

I wonder how much of this initial depth chart is meant to motivate players and let them all know that no one is being given a position based on draft status? It'll be interesting to see where everyone lines up come September.

I went to camp Friday and Sat and TE was the worst QB there - honestly. He threw one nice pass to Evans who was open by 10 yards. Fitxpatrick was better than TE and Brohm throws the nicest passes of the three. I was there only two days but cannot understand the ordering at QB -- it's like, let's just give it to TE? continuity of FAIL!

Maybin appears very immature and clownish in practice; Hardy is invisible. Troup and Carrington both stood out as did Chad Jackson. Steve Johnson had a few drops. Of course, TE and Steve JOhnson were running against the #1 defense but based on what I saw..don't expect much improvement in the passing game this season - Edwards = fail

Apparently Gailey is able to see qualities and abilities in Edwards that you, the average fan can't. I understand that it's much easier to be a lemming and follow the "Cpt. Checkdown" crowd but if Gailey has determined that Edwards is the starter then I'm fine with that. Sorry your guy didn't get picked. Implying that you're more knowledgeable than Gailey is absurd at best.

If you're older than 12, using "fail" is pitiful.

Apparently Gailey is able to see qualities and abilities in Edwards that you, the average fan can't. I understand that it's much easier to be a lemming and follow the "Cpt. Checkdown" crowd but if Gailey has determined that Edwards is the starter then I'm fine with that. Sorry your guy didn't get picked. Implying that you're more knowledgeable than Gailey is absurd at best.

If you're older than 12, using "fail" is pitiful.

Placing Trent on top of his qb depth chart was not a difficult decision for Gailey. It was obvious to him very early on that he would be the starting qb. Many people on this board worked very hard at re-inforcing their views despite the evidence leading to a contrary opinion. There are going to be some difficult depth chart decisions at a variety of positions for the HC. It certainly won't be at the qb position.

Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that TE is going to be our long-term franchise qb. That will be established by how he performs this season. What the going with the "hanging crowd" group have to understand is that constantly repeating a point of view loudly doesn't make it to be true. What merit does any view on a player have when the antagonists are arguing against a player competition? That is a silly and foolish stance to take. It was the dominant stance here on this board.

Placing Trent on top of his qb depth chart was not a difficult decision for Gailey. It was obvious to him very early on that he would be the starting qb. Many people on this board worked very hard at re-inforcing their views despite the evidence leading to a contrary opinion. There are going to be some difficult depth chart decisions at a variety of positions for the HC. It certainly won't be at the qb position.

Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that TE is going to be our long-term franchise qb. That will be established by how he performs this season. What the going with the "hanging crowd" group have to understand is that constantly repeating a point of view loudly doesn't make it to be true. What merit does any view on a player have when the antagonists are arguing against a player competition? That is a silly and foolish stance to take. It was the dominant stance here on this board.

It's more than that. A lot of them are Losman carry overs who failed to see how terrible he was. The fact that Losman was out of the NFL and now sits 3/4 on the depth chart in Seattle be damned. Their chuck it long and no sense of field awareness guy was their hero. You know the guy who shows up to one clean up Buffalo parade and is touted as the local boy. The one who took 4 years to move to Buffalo.

It's more than that. A lot of them are Losman carry overs who failed to se how terrible he was. The fact that Losman was out of the NFL and now sits 3/4 on the depth chart in Seattle be damned. Their chuck it long and no sense of field awareness guy was their hero. You know the guy who shows up to one clean up Buffalo parade and is touted as the local boy. The one who took 4 years to move to Buffalo.

Let's face it any qb on a consistently bad team is going to take the brunt of the criticism. That is the nature of the position. It is the focal point for the failings of the team and even the organization. Fans want simple and quick solutions. They don't want to here about how miserable our OL has played. It is easy to statistically quantify the performance of the qb and not so easy to quantify the failings of a line which directly and dramatically affect the performance of the qb.

There is no doubt that the qb play for the Bills since the departure of Kelly has in general been poor. What is also very evident, at least to me, is that the performance of our OL during that same duration has been horrendous. Get the line upgraded and you will have a corresponding upgrade in the qb play.

I think Hardy and Nelson will be used in goal line situations because they should be able to out jump most DBs for the ball.

Hardy has to actually make the team before anyone on the Bills coaching staff will spend time contemplating about him as part of any goal line package.

The current coaches and regime have zero attachment to Hardy -- if he doesn't work out, he goes down as a bust under Dick Levy-Brandon. All the high hopes based on his hanging out with T.O. last year has propelled him to 4th string behind a street free agent. <_<

Hardy has to actually make the team before anyone on the Bills coaching staff will spend time contemplating about him as part of any goal line package.

Sad isn't it ? I was hoping Hardy would develop into a Moss or TO kind of receiver. Looks like that is not to be. Unless Johnson and Easley develop this year, we will have little talent at the # 2 and # 3 spots.

I like the decisions from Gailey so far. Looks like he is willing to evaluate objectively and if a guy shows it on the field, then he earns the spot.

As far as Stupar and Nelson: Everything I've ever seen from Stupar (admittedly that's mostly pre-season stuff) has impressed me. He strikes me as a total balls-out Football Player. In any case, I'm sure both of the top 2 TE's will see a lot of action this year.

Stupar's 26, meaning that Jauron could have had an equally aged daughter at 33. That's not that old.

I did some sleuthing and found one of his daughters was born during his stint in Green Bay, the other had her first birthday in Green Bay. He was there from 86 - 94. So his daughters would be between the age of 16 - 25 (this year.)

http://northshoremassgolf.com/Volumes/Volume%203/3_3/18.html

Before we go cutting James Hardy, remember that Felton Huggins has what appears to be a significant shoulder injury and that Marcus Easley is having a second opinion on what might be a significant leg injury.

On top of that there are three rookie receivers in camp that were undrafted, at least one who will be on the practice squad.

Hardy has been improving according to Gailey and injuries to others might end up being his ticket to the opening day roster.

what is up with Felton Huggins over Chad Jackson? Everything I have read about Jackson is how he is having a great camp, and I haven't heard anything about Huggins. I am perplexed. And that is a hilarious story about Stupar hooking up with Jauron's daughter!

It's more than that. A lot of them are Losman carry overs who failed to see how terrible he was. The fact that Losman was out of the NFL and now sits 3/4 on the depth chart in Seattle be damned. Their chuck it long and no sense of field awareness guy was their hero. You know the guy who shows up to one clean up Buffalo parade and is touted as the local boy. The one who took 4 years to move to Buffalo.

I think the important judgment Gailey likely is making (this assumes that he and Nix are the very good judges of football player and in particular offensive talent that they demonstrated very good evidence of being in their previous jobs) is that yes Losman was an unproductive and ultimately too inconsistent a producer to be worthy of being the franchise QB we all wanted and this team and its fans richly deserve.

However, my pretty firm sense is that Gailey understands (but likely is appropriately judicious in saying that yes Losman was an unproductive QB, but in the real world he actually was a great athlete no matter how many Bills partisans want to deny it.

The difficulties and failings in Losman's game were real and were evidenced consistently. However, anyone who makes the judgment or reaches the conclusion that he was incapable of becoming at least an adequate and effective as an NFL starting QB is likely all wrong!

No one can say for sure as reality is reality and Losman never consistently demonstrated in the real world he could do the job required of a consistent NFL starting QB. Thems the facts!

However, my sense from too many years of studying the NFL as a fan (years which ironically to me are probably better expressed as approaching 4 decades as was the case this 51 year old really began to follow the NFL with some seriousness when I was at the young age of six but actually had some real appreciation and an ability to make some reasonable football judgments about my hometown Chicago Bears who were led by Dick Butkus and Gail Sayers on the field and most importantly for us by spiritual and practical football leader Papa Bear Halas who was our GM and Bill Polian in the NFL and for the most part really was the HC even when he was not patroling the sidelines.

Gailey comes with a reputation honed in his ability demonstrated in the real world of actually getting productive play out of some fairly marginal athletes who played QB for his teams like a Mark Bulger.

My GUESS is that if Gailey had been in charge of the Bills a few years back he would have likely demonstrated that JP proved to be an unproductive QB not just because he is a failed athlete, he likely would have found a way to get the most productivity he could out of JPs skills and minimized his failings in order to produce a consistently above .500 record with the Bills.

No one can say for sure (which is why football makes for some fun arguments!) what Losman's career would have been like if he had different leaders of the Bills coaching staff and FO when (and if) he got here, but my sense is that the football pundits and experts actually were not wrong when they judged Losman to be a great talent who was in the view of most the 4th best QB in his draft class.

In fact, there was very little squalling and in fact a number of compliments given to TD for him stepping up back into the first round to snag Losman as it was pretty certain that the Bills were going to need to acquire the next Bills QB as it had turned out that though Bledsoe had been an outstanding pick-up based on the results of his first year (he actually did deliver as our starting QB his first year at a level which made good on the excitement which thousands of season tickets purchased merely on him being acquired by the Bills. Even those who choose to judge the quality of his play by its sad ending of performance as a Bill also have admit if they want to be rational that in his first year here that though Belicheck exposed his weaknesses twice that Bledsoe was quite good leading a pretty bad team to an 8-6 record in the other 14 games.

Yet, rather than admit reality after Bledsoe stunk up the the joint in his second season and TD should have let Bledsoe hit the free market rather than extending him, TD did resign him, only to have to eat his words (and have Ralph eat the remainder of the bonus paid when he signed and TS cut him.

Yet, at that point many Bills fans were at the very least willing to trust but verify how JP would do taking over the starters role. Even JP publicly admitted that he had gotten the starters job in less than the preferred way when he was simply given the starter job by TD rather than him earning it on the field with his play.

However, make no mistake subjectively most of the pundits judged JP as clearly a cut below the first 3 QBa who ended up drafted that year. However, there also seems to be consensus growing just prior to the draft that JP clearly merited an early second round pick and might reasonably squeeze in as a late first round pick if there was a team desperate for a QB who might trade up to get him,

As it turned out that team was the Bills and actually TD made a far sighted judgment which read the prospects available in the next draft and judged that JP though clearly 4th among the QBs in his actual class, he was also clearly the class of the next group of QBs who would be available the next year. Sure the Bills had given up their first the next year to get Losman that year, but actually there was a pretty fair chance would have been forced to draft a QB with their first the next year and as it happened I think the first QB off the board the next year was Alex Smith who may finally actually prove to be the niners QN of the future but he did did not play a game the year before last and logged just over half a season last year.

Losman actually was quite productive his senior year in college behind a complete turnstile OL at Tulane. There are legit questions as to whether the Bills should have drafted him unless they were committed to having hm learn what he needed to learn if he was ever gonna be a consistent pro. He certainly was not gonna make it with the situation, dysfuctional offense and confused teaching style offered by the Bills.