OT: Looking for some good wing sauce recipes

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deep fried wing + franks.. that's all I do.

No baked, breaded or grilled.. got to be deep fried crispy with Frank's.. I skip the butter..

You'll find plenty of corner bars that do the same.

I was raised on Frank's and butter but margarine makes sense. Sometimes the sauce is too creamy with butter. I would try 50/50.

By necessity, I've used Durkee's, Texas Pete etc.

Usually, I split the sauce in half and add some heat. ie red pepper flakes, ground red pepper, jalapeno juice, whatever's available.

This also keeps the women/children/rookies from eating too many of my wings.

When you inhale and tear up, it's perfect.

I acutally have a friend who GRILLS wings. Before you call him a heretic, I must say he slow cooks them to start, then bastes with oil to crisp them up and uses the traditional sauce. On a standard grill, he can serve up 6 dozen at a time.

What kind of vinegar? and how much?

Worked at a pizza/wing place for years. Straight Franks (my favorite) was the hot, 3:1 Franks:butter for medium, and 1:1 for mild. If you want extra hot, get some Blairs or Daves insanity, adds heat but won't alter the flavor much. I like other flavors like BBQ or garlic sometimes, but for Buffalo style it's Franks or nothing.

Basic grill recipe

This works best with whole wings. You can use the tip as a handle while eating, and less likely to fall through the grill while cooking. I "butterfly" the wings by cutting the one tendon so I can straighten the wing out. Mix roughly equal parts of Franks and BBQ sauce in a container. Dip the wings in the mix, and throw them on the grill. Depending on the type of grill and settings, you might want to cook them for a few minutes before dipping them in the sauce, so the sauce doesn't burn.

Santa Fe wings

This is an oven recipe. Sauce ingredients : Franks, butter, chili sauce, and chili powder. Cook the wings until they are about 15 minutes away from being done. Take them out of the oven, dip them in the sauce, and return to the oven to finish cooking. When done, dip them in the sauce a 2nd time and serve.

Franks is now sold with butter in at least down here in texas, to make mine extra hot I add a drop or threee LOL of an additive like satans blood or 357 magnum you can find them in mexican restraunt but they are a little pricy for a small bottle

I think that is Frank's Wing Sauce. The one used by most places in Buffalo is (or at least was) Frank's Hot Sauce. I much prefer the original.

Franks hot sauce

Butter less if you want it hot/more if you want it mild

touch of white vinegar is a must

touch of worchester sauce

black pepper

Put in sauce pan and don't let the sauce boil. This will make the sauce more salty. Just reduce it enough for the butter to melt. Adjust the ingredients to taste and you will love it. The vinegar will give you that choking sensation in your nose.