Should we hope the bills lose games, like Jerry Sullivan said?

Hossage

Did he say he wasn't hoping for it? I don't believe he did.

I can't speak for him, only for myself, but I'm a Bills fan and while I hope that we win a ton of games this year, I just find the prospect massively unlikely. A couple of years down the road, I think things could really change.

Also, he's a journalist, he's not supposed to be a fan.

Yeah...I see your point... It's just that I've played a ton of sports when I was younger. The entire concept that somehow losing could be a good thing for any team is so foreign to me...kinda perverted actually. I can't imagine any athlete or any coach agreeing with Jerry Sullivan on this matter. It goes against anything I've ever been taught by any coach, and it makes me think that Sullivan has never played sports. I suppose that shouldn't disqualify him from being a sportswriter, but I am certain former athletes make better sportswriters & sportscasters. Anyone that's ever been in the heat of battle would never say to themselves or out loud, "we'll be better off down the road if we lose now."

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PTR, you've been snookered by the original poster, who is a blowhard and a truth-twister because he conveniently left out what i believe to be some pertinent information from the chat, which i've just reviewed.

here is the ENTIRE response Jerry wrote:

"You're a fan. Set your goals high. But understand that the best thing for this franchise is to get a high draft pick in a year where there might be several franchise QBs available. Always be prepared for a surprise. You can enjoy a bad team if you see progress and pride in the younger guys."

what's wrong with that? and i believe it provides additional perspective to where he was going, which was curiously not included by the original poster, who also failed to mention that he/she signed on as "Porkiebelly fat fat."

porkiebelly fat fat then kept persisting writing: "No, sully, I am a football fan. I know what can happen when a team plays hard together."

to which Jerry replied: "They've played hard the last four years."

then porkhead, unsatisfied, provided his third question in something like 5 minutes, questioning whether Jerry respects the game.

i woulda called him a cretin, too.

porkjob got what he deserved in my opinion. and i find his posts to be untrustworthy.

jw

Sullivan's schtick is tired, and incredibly predictable. TBN would be better off selling ad space, and omitting Sullivan's columns.

Has he played a down of football in his life? You don't create a winning culture by losing games.

Great post and right to the point. A high draft pick guarantees nothing.

I know Buffalo isn't a major city anymore but it still has 2 major pro sports teams. It just sucks that we have to deal with minor league sports coverge (though I like Gaughan and Wilson).

Great post and right to the point. A high draft pick guarantees nothing.

I know Buffalo isn't a major city anymore but it still has 2 major pro sports teams. It just sucks that we have to deal with minor league sports coverge (though I like Gaughan and Wilson).

Wait, you mean that "franchise" QBs like JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, etc. aren't sure things? :worthy:

As a fan, I cheer for the Bills to win. I really don't take into consideration their record and where they land in the upcoming draft. Perhaps, I am being a little "closed minded" because there is validity to what Sully said. I have a difficult time agreeing with it but I understand it. I myself find it very difficult to encourage my team to lose. Long term, maybe it is best to try to get the best draft pick. One might ask? What's the difference between 2-14 or 4-12. Both are really horrendous seasons. However, the 2-14 might be able to land the top QB in the next draft and the 4-12 team might not have that chance.

What do you guys think?

Sully is a Pats fan from Boston who works in Buffalo covering the Bills and whatever else he is assigned to cover. He does not have an emotional investment in the Bills or Buffalo. What he says is spot on hovever. Our QB position is horrible. A 2-14 season would be rock bottom (I know, I was at an 1985 Bills-Pats game), but we would be able to draft a franchise QB. Sometimes you have to be really bad in order to become very good.

Wait, you mean that "franchise" QBs like JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, etc. aren't sure things? :worthy:

Exactly. That's what the morons who think they should tank the season (by the way, I'd love to see Sully tell Bills players that. I'd pay to watch that.). A high pick guarantees nothing.

Romo (UDFA)

Brady (6th)

Warner (UDFA)

Hasselback (6th)

Brees (2nd)

Schaub (3rd)

Garrad (4th)

These are pro bowl QBs. But obviously, the only place to find a franchise QB is with a high draft pick. I hate Sullivan. He is the voice of the miserable.

Exactly. That's what the morons who think they should tank the season (by the way, I'd love to see Sully tell Bills players that. I'd pay to watch that.). A high pick guarantees nothing.

Romo (UDFA)

Brady (6th)

Warner (UDFA)

Hasselback (6th)

Brees (2nd)

Schaub (3rd)

Garrad (4th)

These are pro bowl QBs. But obviously, the only place to find a franchise QB is with a high draft pick. I hate Sullivan. He is the voice of the miserable.

+1

Sully is a Pats fan from Boston who works in Buffalo covering the Bills and whatever else he is assigned to cover. He does not have an emotional investment in the Bills or Buffalo. What he says is spot on hovever. Our QB position is horrible. A 2-14 season would be rock bottom (I know, I was at an 1985 Bills-Pats game), but we would be able to draft a franchise QB. Sometimes you have to be really bad in order to become very good.

I guess I forgot he is a Pats* fan. Before I was bemused at his behavior. Now I'm pissed off.

I don't understand the Bills QB bashers on this board for not taking some things into consideration and automatically assuming the four guys we have can't be "the guy." Let me list a few things to consider. Bill Walsh's endorsement of Edwards. TE's words when criticized on all the checkdowns.."I just do what the coaches tell me to do". TE's ability to shine so far in camp this year. Gailey's hands on approach to QB's, & DJ's lack thereof. Gailey's past success in nurturing QB's. Offensive line injuries last yr. Brohm's college career. Fitzy's ability to command..perhaps he just needs a functional system (yes...I'm aware of the accuracy issue..can it be fixed?). Brown's stats last yr...& also his drive, evident in his interviews. I'm not saying any of these guys will be the next Brady or Manning, but I'm also not ready to say that all four of these guys has no chance of being a quality starting NFL QB. I am very interested to see what Gailey can do with these guys. At this juncture, I could care less what QB's will be available in next yrs draft.

PTR, you've been snookered by the original poster, who is a blowhard and a truth-twister because he conveniently left out what i believe to be some pertinent information from the chat, which i've just reviewed.

here is the ENTIRE response Jerry wrote:

"You're a fan. Set your goals high. But understand that the best thing for this franchise is to get a high draft pick in a year where there might be several franchise QBs available. Always be prepared for a surprise. You can enjoy a bad team if you see progress and pride in the younger guys."

what's wrong with that? and i believe it provides additional perspective to where he was going, which was curiously not included by the original poster, who also failed to mention that he/she signed on as "Porkiebelly fat fat."

porkiebelly fat fat then kept persisting writing: "No, sully, I am a football fan. I know what can happen when a team plays hard together."

to which Jerry replied: "They've played hard the last four years."

then porkhead, unsatisfied, provided his third question in something like 5 minutes, questioning whether Jerry respects the game.

i woulda called him a cretin, too.

porkjob got what he deserved in my opinion. and i find his posts to be untrustworthy.

jw

Wow JW that was good investigative reporting.

I have wondered about this "original poster". He seems to throw out a lot of comments that try to lead us into believing he is some kind of an insider.

I am not a big fan of Sully but I too had a hard time believing that the story could go down as the OP expressed it.

Nice job.

Wow JW that was good investigative reporting.

I have wondered about this "original poster". He seems to throw out a lot of comments that try to lead us into believing he is some kind of an insider.

I am not a big fan of Sully but I too had a hard time believing that the story could go down as the OP expressed it.

Nice job.

By JW revealing the fullness of the initial chat, the entire light cast on Sullivan concerning this matter has been changed in my view.

I just got done with a live chat on the Buffalonews site with Jerry Sullivan.

Sully predicts the bills can look forward a 4-12 season this year, and seven and nine next year. As a goal.

He said we are more likely to be the worst team in the NFL than make the playoffs.

He also said the best thing for us is to lose as many games as possible to get a higher draft pick.

Sully: "You're a fan. Set your goals high. But understand that the best thing for this franchise is to get a high draft pick in a year where there might be several franchise QBs available."

Me: "I have more pride than to hope the bills lose to get a higher draft pick. If you think that, I dont believe you respect the game of football at all."

Sully: I'm not asking you to hope they lose. You obviously don't grasp the fine points of the argument. Sorry for not "respecting" your favorite game. You can't even present a literate screen name. Get out of here, you cretin.

He then banned me.

Why do we have to suffer this lack of professionalism from our journalists?

We may only deserve to win a five games. But if we work hard, stick together, and with the fans and the weather on our side, we can pull out a few more. Football is an emotional game. Anything can happen. We could be better than we think. We can win every game we play.

Losing games on purpose is not even allowed in the NFL. Nobody with any respect for the game wants a team to go out and throw the game. It is just wrong.

Sullivan also cheats at golf.

When Jerry Sullivan dies, it will be a great day for Bills' Fan and the City of Buffalo.

The man is a world class pessimistic A-Hole and is party to blame for setting the negative tone of Fans in Buffalo.

I will piss on his grave on a regular basis.

When Jerry Sullivan dies, it will be a great day for Bills' Fan and the City of Buffalo.

The man is a world class pessimistic A-Hole and is party to blame for setting the negative tone of Fans in Buffalo.

Stop mincing words! Tell us how you really feel

Um, no....you are wrong too. The Buffalo News will easily find someone else who can rile up the sheep who are too dumb to know any better...

Please... he's no Ralph.