I think a classy move

"Great" is overstating it, I would argue, but we weren't going to get much, if anything, for him when whatever team traded for him would have to pay his $6.015 mill salary and a $2 mill bonus besides. So it's a solid move, it's good for Schobel, who was indeed a great Bill, and it gives us a chance to work on developing an ROLB for the future.

Since we're rebuilding, giving young guys a shot while probably lowering our number of wins this year is not a bad idea.

At worst it comes back to bite us in the ass(an unlikely scenario). However it does show one thing, if you want out, the time is now. Just be a non-participant. I'm sure its a semi-elastic policy and for a guy who is slated to make 8 million on a team with an abysmal playoff outlook than it is for a 25 year old making 900k.

At best it's just a non-distraction, a non-issue, and schobel doesn't do a darn thing to make us look bad. If he goes somewhere and piles up double digit sacks and we couldnt even squeeze a fourth for him it shows that we are pretty dumb.

Don't misinterpret this as bashing Buddy and Chan. The regime is still green, no need picking at it too much yet. I will give them their chance as I do with all regimes. However, it's just not how I would have played it. There are ways to make things work and teams always need pass rushers, that's all. Also, having said that, a few months back a friend of mine encountered Schobel's wife who esentially said he was done. This has been in the works for some time.

I think releasing Schobel was a class act. Why keep him if you cannot get anything get him to play? I like the way Buddy is running things. I know not everyone thinks this was a great move, but I do.

I agree that Buddy has picked his spots and how to deal with them.

1. He and Gailey understood that eventually they need Marshawn Lynch on this team to successful. They did not budge on the requests from Marshawn for a trade and making Lynch come to the off season program.

2. On the Schoebe; front they knew that he was really done with the Bills and the Bills were done with him as he did not participate in their new off season to learn the new system. They knew that a trade was impossible with the big salary on his contract and Schoebels intention to be with his family during part of the week in the season. Rather than pay 2M for Schoebel to pass a physical and retire, the Bills released him. They released a player who had no chance of playing for them and impossible to be traded (even for a 7th Rd pick due to the big remaining salary).

3. Buddy and Spiller are NOT negotiating their contract through the media. They are being patient to hammer out the right deal. Buffalo is a cap-to-cash strategy team and do not have a abundance of cash to throw at everyone at their request. The Bills are going to be responsible with their spending. Buddy understands that and is willing to work within the organizations limits.

I believe he is making all the right moves and being very patient.

At worst it comes back to bite us in the ass(an unlikely scenario). However it does show one thing, if you want out, the time is now. Just be a non-participant. I'm sure its a semi-elastic policy and for a guy who is slated to make 8 million on a team with an abysmal playoff outlook than it is for a 25 year old making 900k.

Wrong. Just ask Marshawn Lynch. Please see my other post. I think Buddy has dealt all the off season issues appropriately.

At best it's just a non-distraction, a non-issue, and schobel doesn't do a darn thing to make us look bad. If he goes somewhere and piles up double digit sacks and we couldnt even squeeze a fourth for him it shows that we are pretty dumb.

Based on current Schoebels requirement, his new team would have to provide him all the concessions so that he can spend enough time with his family. I don't think many teams are going to commit to that. Second, I don't believe any team is going to pay him that 8M salary to play (due from the Bills, if he had played here). Thirdly, Schoebel himself thinks he has lost a step and that he will play ONLY for ONE more year. In spite of all this, if Schoebel gets his wish and goes on to have double digit sacks, then so be it...You are really fighting the odds here.

Don't misinterpret this as bashing Buddy and Chan. The regime is still green, no need picking at it too much yet. I will give them their chance as I do with all regimes. However, it's just not how I would have played it. There are ways to make things work and teams always need pass rushers, that's all. Also, having said that, a few months back a friend of mine encountered Schobel's wife who esentially said he was done. This has been in the works for some time.

We could not have had a trading partner due to the fact that the trading team would owe 8M for a Veteran player. TO had difficulty in getting 2M.

1. He and Gailey understood that eventually they need Marshawn Lynch on this team to successful. They did not budge on the requests from Marshawn for a trade and making Lynch come to the off season program.

2. On the Schoebe; front they knew that he was really done with the Bills and the Bills were done with him as he did not participate in their new off season to learn the new system. They knew that a trade was impossible with the big salary on his contract and Schoebels intention to be with his family during part of the week in the season. Rather than pay 2M for Schoebel to pass a physical and retire, the Bills released him. They released a player who had no chance of playing for them and impossible to be traded (even for a 7th Rd pick due to the big remaining salary).

3. Buddy and Spiller are NOT negotiating their contract through the media. They are being patient to hammer out the right deal. Buffalo is a cap-to-cash strategy team and do not have a abundance of cash to throw at everyone at their request. The Bills are going to be responsible with their spending. Buddy understands that and is willing to work within the organizations limits.

I am not so sure about that statement and giving them credit for not trading him. IMO, it was they couldn't get the value they wanted for him. If I remember the rumors correctly they wanted a 2nd round pick and Seattle and perhaps other teams were offering 4th round picks.

If Buddy COULD have gotten something for Schobel, he WOULD have. Buddy isn't just being a nice guy here. The bottom line is that there was no way he was going to pull off a deal here. Yes, he could have hung on to Schobel's rights up until September just to see if any interest was going to develop over the next few weeks by other teams (injuries to their existing starters, etc.), but again at Schobel's price tag, a deal was just not going to happen. Under the circumstances, Buddy did the right thing here. Schobel also COULD have collected 2 million, but didn't, so he wasn't trying to hit the Bills for cash or anything like that. This was the best solution. The real idiots are the ones who put this contract together a few years ago.

in the end the decision to release schobel essentially made itself. the bills couldnt risk having him show up fat, collect eight bigs, and sloth around for months. i just hope they made a clear agreement to stay out of the div and i hope schobel doesnt decide to be a dick about it

Nix should have known from the day it was decided to go 3-4 that Schobel would not play here, and should have begun trade talks then. The guy had ten sacks last season and was viable in most 4-3's and would start in some of them. Buddy let the situation drag on and stagnate and even made statements downplaying Schobel's value in trade. Major screw up.

"Great" is overstating it, I would argue, but we weren't going to get much, if anything, for him when whatever team traded for him would have to pay his $6.015 mill salary and a $2 mill bonus besides. So it's a solid move, it's good for Schobel, who was indeed a great Bill, and it gives us a chance to work on developing an ROLB for the future.

Since we're rebuilding, giving young guys a shot while probably lowering our number of wins this year is not a bad idea.

If they were worrying about being classy they would have dumped Lynch when they had the chance.

The Bills aren't going to the Super Bowl at the end of the 2010 season. <ducks> Re-allocate the playing time to a youngster and let him develop. Re-allocate the money to some other part of the organization. (Save the skepticism on that last part.)

The Bills aren't going to the Super Bowl at the end of the 2011 season. Because I don't think there will be one due to an owners' lockout.

Given those two (IMO reasonable) assumptions, the decision to part ways esp. after all that offseason drama makes sense to me.

kj

nice post....agreed !

I generally agree with this, with several things to add

I can't stand this ongoing trend of players dealing with their issues through non-communication with the team. Nobody can figure out whether they'll play or not play,.. be at OTAs or not,... retire or not. In Schobel's case HE should have spoken to the GM when he was hired, told him that he didn't want to be part of another rebuilding effort again, that he and his agent wouldn't devalue himself in the media, but that that they should trade him. I have to believe that he could have been traded in that scenario for a 5/6 round pick, which is better than nothing

He's devalued himself to be worth 0 to the Bills, despite the size of his contract and the loyalty the organization gave him. He's been saying he's retiring all along and then changing his mind at the last second essentially forcing the Bills to cut him or guarantee $8M. Now we have no leverage and he could get signed by the Patriots.

I'm not sure what Buddy could have done differently because Schobel tied his hands with his actions, keeping the Bills from doing anything other than eventually releasing him... so for our "classy" move, we'll see how much "class" we get in return if he signs in the AFC East??

Schobel won't end up with the Pats. Nothing about that situation makes sense for him, unless he's looking for payback, which he shouldn't be.

I agree. Frankly, I think it's the Texans, Saints or retirement. Texans for proximity, Saints, best shot for a ring within relative proximity to Texas.