Thank You Ralph, Russ & Buddy for Proving Me Right Again...

Give the guy credit where it is due. No matter what changes in the front office the Bills still can't handle contract negotiations well in terms of timeliness and fair market value for "elite" players. When you view the history you start to see this as less of a problem with new rookie prospects and underpaid probowlers and more of a problem with the owner. At least in recent memory the Bills have paid premiums for average players but refuse to pay big dollars to elite players. The Bills goal is to be average everywhere except for trying to milk prospects that have turned into elite players that have outperformed their contracts.

I agree with you Ralphie is cheap and the people around him suck we didn't draft a OT until round 5 this year and now he's hurt nice job. You guys know something it's going to bit us in the ass again this year. We didn't even sign anyone that can play that position of OT.

I'll resist pounding on your for your incredible acuity on this, but I would blame the damn Raiders before I'd blame our FO. They gave the # 8 pick, Rolando McClain, a 5-year - $40 million contract with $23 mil guaranteed. The Jags gave the #10 pick, Tyson Alualu a five year $28 mil deal with $17.5 guaranteed. If you're the Bill, you wan to be closer to the Jags number and not the whopper deal the Raiders gave McClain. If you're Spiller's agent, you're pushing hard for close to $40 mill or more. $12 mill is a big swing from #8 to #10.

There exists in practice what is called a slotting system in the NFL draft. You have the contracts of the 2 players above and below. You look at what #9 got last year and you "add a little bit". There is probably some average percentage increase from year to year that can be used as a guide. It's really not that hard.

If you're not going to SET the trend by signing earlier you are doomed to FOLLOW the trend after others have inked their deals. If I wasn't a lazy bastard and at work I could probably calculate a 5 year deal and signing bonus that Spiller will eventually sign. I have no idea but if they are quibbling over fractions of percentage points it is a waste of everyone's time. CJ, the front office, the fans...AND THE TEAM.

Stop your friggin whining.

On June 23rd, I wrote the post below responding to the thread: "Spiller Contract Negotiations":

"Of course he'll hold out, if the number 8 pick and the number 10 pick don't sign before he does. The Bills never have and never will, as long as Ralph is alive and well, be salary setters. They would never make a good enough offer, in my humble opinion, to either of their top two picks, that would prompt them to sign before the other rookies picked just before or just after them, uncapped year or not.

For Spiller, who cares? He's been learning the offense, and running back is the easiest position to learn as a rookie anyway. But I'm hoping Troup gets in from day one. He should, being a 2nd round pick, but it all depends on the guys drafted right around them, even in the second round. Once you get to the third round, I would be shocked if Carrington isn't in camp on time."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well here we sit the morning of August 3rd, and every draft pick around Mr. Spiller has signed his contract, and in fact, 28 of the 32 first round picks have signed their contracts, and Spiller still has not. What a shock, huh? :unsure:

Someone even disputed my post above by mentioning that Bruce Smith was signed right away. They had to go back 25 years to find that one...nice job. :lol:

I'm happy that the Bills did an excellent job getting Troup in on time, however. That was a pleasant surprise to me, since very few 2nd round picks had signed before him. :blink:

Troup has been doing great from day one, and in my humble opinion, has the more important learning job coming in as the number 2 nose tackle as a rookie from a small college. Spiller should be signing any day now, and despite the fact the Bills still are not "salary setters", he won't be holding out anywhere near idiot Maybin did last year!

missed your first missive for some reason back in june, and opened this one by mistake, so my fault.

but here goes:

you don't have to go all the way back to Bruce Smith to find players who signed prior to start of training camp.

Evans and Losman both signed on the day the team reported to camp.

Lynch missed one day of camp.

Mike Williams signed in time to join the team for its first full-squad training camp session.

And McKelvin missed only two days of camp.

what was your point again?

jw

Great data jw. I don't think the Bills have a long history of holdouts although I can remember some bad ones in the 70's (Rudd and Cousineau). Spiller is slotted and he will be in camp soon. No reason to believe otherwise.

...............because?????????????

A waterbug like that is most effective with fresh legs.

Minimizing the grinding and pounding in camp might keep a little extra pep in his step to start the season and maybe even push the rookie wall back beyond Week 12 or so. And there's no way they're going to entrust him with more than the bare minimum of pick up duties, so he's not really missing out on much except the contact. And the less of that he gets, the better off I think he'll be.

Are you just being a jerk?

gee, i just can't figure out why so many folks are sick of your chit. :blink:

There exists in practice what is called a slotting system in the NFL draft. You have the contracts of the 2 players above and below. You look at what #9 got last year and you "add a little bit". There is probably some average percentage increase from year to year that can be used as a guide. It's really not that hard.

If you're not going to SET the trend by signing earlier you are doomed to FOLLOW the trend after others have inked their deals. If I wasn't a lazy bastard and at work I could probably calculate a 5 year deal and signing bonus that Spiller will eventually sign. I have no idea but if they are quibbling over fractions of percentage points it is a waste of everyone's time. CJ, the front office, the fans...AND THE TEAM.

You're forgetting the Bills are only half the equation. The rapid signing of pur other draft picks tells me Spiller's group is rejecting the slotting system and asking for more. So even if the FO wanted to "set the trend" as you suggest, they may not have had the option. Being first isn't alwYs the best way to go. These guys will get it done.

You're forgetting the Bills are only half the equation. The rapid signing of pur other draft picks tells me Spiller's group is rejecting the slotting system and asking for more. So even if the FO wanted to "set the trend" as you suggest, they may not have had the option. Being first isn't alwYs the best way to go. These guys will get it done.

Actually I'm not forgetting anything. It could be Spiller. Certainly a possibility. But isn't it funny how this happens so frequently more years that not? The names change every time but the owner stays the same. You decide I guess.