Hitting in practice...

One LT(Wang) and one LB(Batten) gone already. Wang will now miss considerabe reps virtually assuring he will not be the back-up LT. Batten may be gone longer and if he ends up on IR the team may lose a potential special teams player.

All those practices in pads were supposed to make the team tougher and less injury prone I thought???????

One LT(Wang) and one LB(Batten) gone already. Wang will now miss considerabe reps virtually assuring he will not be the back-up LT. Batten may be gone longer and if he ends up on IR the team may lose a potential special teams player.

All those practices in pads were supposed to make the team tougher and less injury prone I thought???????

Wang got injured in shorts too.....and Batten......so what? What does anyone know about him? Not like we are missing a starter now. People get injured in practice.....that's two rookies. Our other players are coming back from injuries they had last year. I don't see the need for worry.

The strong or extremely fortunate will survive.

These players will be tougher because of these practices. Wasn't like taking it easy on them in Dick's Day Spa kept them from landing on IR.

Wang got injured in shorts too.....and Batten......so what? What does anyone know about him? Not like we are missing a starter now. People get injured in practice.....that's two rookies. Our other players are coming back from injuries they had last year. I don't see the need for worry.

The strong or extremely fortunate will survive.

These players will be tougher because of these practices. Wasn't like taking it easy on them in Dick's Day Spa kept them from landing on IR.

And what proof do you have of this? Look I am all in favor of some hitting. However, it sounds great on paper but there is no correlation between lack of hitting in practice and injuries. Years of drafting small players in a big man's game is the most likely reason for all the injuries.

It's all fun and games until a starter blows out a knee blocking a second or third strind DE just trying to make the team....

Stop reaching for something to say.

And what proof do you have of this? Look I am all in favor of some hitting. However, it sounds great on paper but there is no correlation between lack of hitting in practice and injuries. Years of drafting small players in a big man's game is the most likely reason for all the injuries.

It's all fun and games until a starter blows out a knee blocking a second or third strind DE just trying to make the team....

So under DJ, there is little to no hitting in training camp. The bills end up with the most players on IR(2 years i believe 2007, 2009). Now with Chan, theres a good amount of hitting, and 2 players get hurt. Seems to me that injuries are just part of the game :lol::lol:

Relax.....i said they would be tougher, not that they won't get injured. Also, a lot of training camp injuries happen away from contact (knees, ankles, turf toe, etc). Realize also that the pads help protect as well.

Drafting smaller players "most likely" the reason for all the injuries? Eric Wood, Leodis McKelvin, Brad Butler, K. Mitchell (FA), Poz, Hardy, Schouman, Bryan Scott (FA).....these guys aren't exactly known as small for their respective positions.

So under DJ, there is little to no hitting in training camp. The bills end up with the most players on IR(2 years i believe 2007, 2009). Now with Chan, theres a good amount of hitting, and 2 players get hurt. Seems to me that injuries are just part of the game :lol::lol:

Well said, and I agree 100%. Anyone remember "Club Marv"? Seems to me those teams of his were pretty damn tough, and were never considered "injury prone." Levy, the cerebral coach who used to run pretty darn easy training camp practices, screamed out his favorite saying before just about every game, or at least every big game....."When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us!"

Besides, I tend to believe Gailey's theory about the players being more protected in training camp practices while wearing pads.

Here we go. We are wimps because we dont' hit, we are doing the wrong thing by hitting. Injuries happen no matter what. Christ folks...

i dont know that there is, or ever could be, a quantitative analysis. but i can tell you from years of playing football, lacrosse, and rugby, that hitting in practice gets your body ready for taking hits. you'll get the bumps and bruises in practice, and maybe even a couple injuries, but it's worth it when you step on the field in actual competition and your body is ready to take a hit.

simply lifting weights and conditioning does not get your body ready for the violence of hitting.

i know it probably sounds ridiculous if youve never been through it, but it's true. a running back who has taken 10-20 hits a day will be much more ready to pound the rock than one who is strapping the pads on for the first time.

simply lifting weights and conditioning does not get your body ready for the violence of hitting.

i know it probably sounds ridiculous if youve never been through it, but it's true. a running back who has taken 10-20 hits a day will be much more ready to pound the rock than one who is strapping the pads on for the first time.

Thanks for the insight.

Practices in pads and in the heat will make you tougher. Practices in pads and in the cold will also make you tougher. You cannot practice in the extremes to the point that you lose effeciencies and get very little work done. Gailey knows what he is doing.

The get injured in shorts and they get injured in pads. All part of the game.

Drafting smaller players "most likely" the reason for all the injuries? Eric Wood, Leodis McKelvin, Brad Butler, K. Mitchell (FA), Poz, Hardy, Schouman, Bryan Scott (FA).....these guys aren't exactly known as small for their respective positions.

I do think that drafting smaller gets you injured on defense because the less imposing D-Line exposes the back 7 players to more direct contact with OL's and FB's.