Levi Brown

99% likely levi goes to the ps

- a seventh round rookie is extremely safe on the ps for his first season. virtually every team has their own qb prospect drafted much higher than seventh round already on their roster

- fitz isnt a bonafide nfl starter but hes a very reliable backup. its possible trent and brohm would both flame out so badly they snowball to hell and wouldnt even be options. that wont happen with fitz. thus he will stick until one or both establish themselves or bomb out

- thus brown will be on the ps until next fall at least

If you think a player is worth developing, you don't risk cutting him and placing him on the PS, where anyone can sign him. And if you're down to your 3rd string QB in a game/season, you're screwed anyway.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Brown noted in a report that Levi Brown has one of the better arms in camp and he is catching on to the offense which is great news, but, if that is in fact the case, we need to keep him off the practice squad without question.

Should we keep him out of the preseason games so none of the other teams can see him?

or

It does not matter because one of the other three will be cut and we will keep three on the active roster?

Some draft guys had him pretty high.

Fine tuning execution far surpasses keeping secrets.

Guest dog14787
Fitzpatrick is 2nd stringer, Brown, the 3rd stringer has upside. Fitzpatrick is not terrible, he was the QB in 5 of the 6 wins last year.

Brohm is going to get cut. It's time for all the people with delusions that we could get a high profile guy off a practice squad that the whole league just forgot about until the brilliant front office of Guy & Brandon swooped in & stole him to wake up. You steal low profile guys off practice squads, not 2nd round busts. The best professional talent evaluators passed on Brohm & now all the Brohm fans are finding out why. They excused the debacle in Atlanta because "He was new to the Bills & not ready." Now they & their boy are out of excuses.

I agree with you on Fitzy, his high intelligence, fearless nature, and its all about the team mentality makes him the perfect backup,

Fitzpatrick is a very capable of coming in on short notice and winning a football game, more so then Brohm or Brown in my opinion.

Actually, this thread is yet another of the dozens of threads devoted to the quarterback pecking order/which quarterback will not make the team.

Sure it's ostensibly about Levi Brown but it's a different title on the exact same topic we've been discussing for months.

How about something a bit more interesting?

Here's Chris Brown's article that the OP cited: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...d2-623c27f4349b

Here's Chris Brown's quote:

"Levi Brown was mixed in for a few more reps Friday morning. Brown has displayed solid arm strength with his passes through the early stages of camp. His arm is at worst the second strongest in camp."

Think about the implications of the bolded sentence.

I don't have to think about the implications for long, though. It's great that he has a strong arm. It can only help. But strong arms don't impress me. QUARTERBACKS impress me. I've read enough of your posts to know that you fully understand the difference between quarterbacks and passers. I hope Levi can become a good QB.

I don't think the coaches are going to cut any of our QBs on the basis of arm strength unless all else is equal. If it DOES come down to arm strength then I believe it's not good news for Fitz.

GO BILLS!!!

Discusion of who will be the top three qbs seems fruitless. Has everybody forgotten that our offensive line is still pretty bad and inexperienced?

C'mon now, you gotta almost expect that at least one of our qbs gets crushed and put on the IR during preseason. That would seem to make the answer simple. The only complication I see is that Chan and Nix may have their eyes on a few other qbs from other teams that they are hoping to pick up off the waiver wire.

I don't have to think about the implications for long, though. It's great that he has a strong arm. It can only help. But strong arms don't impress me. QUARTERBACKS impress me. I've read enough of your posts to know that you fully understand the difference between quarterbacks and passers. I hope Levi can become a good QB.

I don't think the coaches are going to cut any of our QBs on the basis of arm strength unless all else is equal. If it DOES come down to arm strength then I believe it's not good news for Fitz.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for replying, K-9. Yes, arm strength means very little.

My post was much more a comment on how we've had this same discussion (the quarterback hierarchy and who will be cut) over and over and over again.

In my guesstimation, there have been at least two dozen threads and probably nearly 1000 posts on this subject. It's like some ritual dance with the dancers repeating the same lines, over and over again. There is zero new ground being broken here.

I only brought up the arm strength thing because a HUGE percentage of posters here decry Trent Edwards because of his (lack of) arm strength and now we're seeing comments (Chris Brown, Chan Gailey) that Trent Edwards may has the strongest arm of all our quarterbacks.

It's very ironic and funny to me. Yet no one seems to care very much or want to comment about this little plot twist. Oh well.

Discusion of who will be the top three qbs seems fruitless. Has everybody forgotten that our offensive line is still pretty bad and inexperienced?

C'mon now, you gotta almost expect that at least one of our qbs gets crushed and put on the IR during preseason. That would seem to make the answer simple. The only complication I see is that Chan and Nix may have their eyes on a few other qbs from other teams that they are hoping to pick up off the waiver wire.

I agree with your post. The one thing to remember is the Bills will run the ball like 70% of the time and the passing game is going to short, sweet, and quick. So whomever the QB is he won't get killed. I suspect we will throw only a couple of long passes per game. No vertical passing game this year. Perhaps, I am exaggerating but I think you get the point.

Let's not forget all the injuries to the OL last year...& also Wang. He's the only full blooded Chinese man to play in the NFL, so he's got something to prove. He also comes from a rich athletic pedigree. My point?...maybe our OL situation isn't as bad as we think it is. I am hoping anyway.........

Levi is most likely destined for the PS and here is why. The other 3 are being given serious consideration for the #1 spot...all 3 are. So, that is a lot of reps to find for those guys and unfortunately that leaves Brown with few reps. Can he win the 3rd spot and see one of the other 3 cut, certainly, its just going to be awfully difficult to do given the likely hood he wont see much reps as we progress deeper into this QB competition.

The best thing that can happen for him will be if Brohm or Fitz really start struggling. However most reports seem to indicate that they are showing promise and right in the thick of things for QB1.

Trent most likely does not get cut in any scenario given his early progress. If Brohm shows potential and improvement (rather he wins the job or not) then they likely are reluctant to cut him even if Trent wins the QB1 job. Especially since Trent is injury prone and has a history of looking good in practice rather than the games. So, if Brohm is close in the race and Trent wins, I would think that Brohm would be kept in case Trent falters or gets hurt in the reg season.

Fitz to me is in the most danger. He doesnt seem to be doing a whole lot in camp to really serperate himself from Brohm or the other QBs and he has a much higher price tag and a lower cieling than the other 3 guys. I think he is a quality backup, but if him and Brohm are close in their grading, then Fitz to me is the odd man out given his limited upside and price tag.

So, I think Levi's best chance to make the active roster will be if Fitz either continues to not serperate himself for the other guys or just starts falling behind in the pecking order.

I agree with your post. The one thing to remember is the Bills will run the ball like 70% of the time and the passing game is going to short, sweet, and quick. So whomever the QB is he won't get killed. I suspect we will throw only a couple of long passes per game. No vertical passing game this year. Perhaps, I am exaggerating but I think you get the point.

While I disagree with the 70-30 percent, the rest seems fairly likely to open the season. With our unproven OL, questionable LT, the offense has to be based on quick passes rather than long developing plays. The other option is keeping a TE back for blocking which hampers the passing options.

If our OL surprises us or gets better during the season, then we may see longer pass completions. But as it stands right now, the only QB on our roster who can make quick decisions and does not need to have a great deep ball (per above argument) is TE and logically that makes him the starter.

Ofcourse this is not an ideal situation (unproven OL, starting QB by default etc) but we have to make do with what we have (duh!). Presumably we fixed the D this year, next year is the one for the O.