Jack Tatum dead at 61

One of my favorite players from my favorite era of the NFL. The top 6 or 7 teams seemed to field what amounted to all star teams and the playoffs seemed to always have amazing games. The Raider team that beat the Vikings was one of the most fun to watch.

I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but frankly Tatum was a scumbag for the way he acted after he crippled Darryl Singley for life, and he was doubly reprehensible for staging an apology to Stingley in the name of selling his book. I hope he never rests in peace.

I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but frankly Tatum was a scumbag for the way he acted after he crippled Darryl Singley for life, and he was doubly reprehensible for staging an apology to Stingley in the name of selling his book. I hope he never rests in peace.

You don't know what you're talking about. Tatum was a very private person and because of that,he came off to some as unremorseful. In truth,although he felt he did no wrong,the Stingley incident haunted him. I met him several times,at various Raider functions over the years,and he was a very humble and classy guy. Rest in peace Jack.

You don't know what you're talking about. Tatum was a very private person and because of that,he came off to some as unremorseful. In truth,although he felt he did no wrong,the Stingley incident haunted him. I met him several times,at various Raider functions over the years,and he was a very humble and classy guy. Rest in peace Jack.

Sure.....it haunted him so much he couldn't bring himself to visit Stingley in the hospital.

Sorry. We agree to disagree. I know enough.

"He had close to 30 years to apologize," Derek Stingley said. "If that created a burden for him to live with, that's his own doing. There were plenty of opportunities.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...tingley-tragedy

Sure.....it haunted him so much he couldn't bring himself to visit Stingley in the hospital.

Sorry. We agree to disagree. I know enough.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...tingley-tragedy

Yeah,you read it on the internet so it must be true. You should try finding out the whole story before ripping a man after he's passed. You stay classy buddy.

Is there anywhere to see the Stingley hit so I can judge for myself?........The thing that bothered me, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he and George Atkinson have bets on who could knock the opponents out of the game. I think he wrote that in his first book? There are many football players who are never as aggressive after they are involved in a Stingley situation, but if what I'm thinking is true, Tatum didn't seem to have much remorse.

Look fellas.

There's been lots written about the history between Stingley and Tatum.

We know some of the actions and and non-actions that did and didn't occur and certainly these speak louder than words.

But we don't know what went through the head of Jack Tatum all these years. Many people have testified that Tatum has good character, including most recently, John Madden.

We really have no way of knowing the truth of these matters so any convictions that we hold should be tempered by this fact.

Yeah,you read it on the internet so it must be true. You should try finding out the whole story before ripping a man after he's passed. You stay classy buddy.

What else is there to say?

Thirty years to talk to him. Thirty years and he never does it, even though he suggests it be done in a way that would have made him money, and when Stingley turns him down for the reason it would make him money, Tatum never did it. No class.

He might have been a sweetheart at benefits and dinners. I don't care, and I think the Pats interviewed for that piece are dead on. I don't blame him for the hit. I blame him for not reaching out.

And if you think that isn't true because it's on the internet, let's hear you prove it's not true.

The hit isn't the topic of this post, it is classless to have this discussion here and now.

Jack you were really a monster of a safety, RIP

It is such a sad commentary on our society and especially on certain members of this discussion board that anyone would wish that another human spirit not have peace. And, to think that one brutal awful play in a violent game would lead to this ongoing bitterness is such a shame.

I did not know Jack Tatum (may he rest in peace) ... I have never been an Oakland Raider fan nor have I ever appreciated the 'Raider style' of playing on the edge of the boundaries of the rules of the game. When the hit happened the game was more violent ... it's not an excuse.

When Darryl Stingley died, Tatum said, "I am deeply saddened by the death of Darryl Stingley," Tatum said in a statement released by the Raiders. "Darryl will be forever remembered for his strength and courage. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family." No, they never reconciled and no Tatum never made an apology that restored his image but when the hit occured there was no penalty called ... the New England Patriots' coach did not scream that it was an illegal hit ... it was just a very sad awful moment in time ...

But, what those who are wishing no peace for Jack Tatum should do is to hear the words of Darryl Stingley shortly after Jack Tatum lost a leg to diabetes. He was asked if this was a way of settling things but Stingley said, "I don't accept human nature as our real nature. Human nature teaches us to hate. God teaches us to love."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2826562

Life would be so much better if those of you filled with hate for people who play on sports teams or people of differing political views learned to love rather than allowing yourselves to be swallowed up by such a sickening hateful spirit.

Darryl Stingley (may he also rest in peace) was so right and any person of faith need only turn to God's Holy Word to discover the attitude we are supposed to have ... if we are willing to be the children of God.

It is such a sad commentary on our society and especially on certain members of this discussion board that anyone would wish that another human spirit not have peace. And, to think that one brutal awful play in a violent game would lead to this ongoing bitterness is such a shame.

I did not know Jack Tatum (may he rest in peace) ... I have never been an Oakland Raider fan nor have I ever appreciated the 'Raider style' of playing on the edge of the boundaries of the rules of the game. When the hit happened the game was more violent ... it's not an excuse.

When Darryl Stingley died, Tatum said, "I am deeply saddened by the death of Darryl Stingley," Tatum said in a statement released by the Raiders. "Darryl will be forever remembered for his strength and courage. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family." No, they never reconciled and no Tatum never made an apology that restored his image but when the hit occured there was no penalty called ... the New England Patriots' coach did not scream that it was an illegal hit ... it was just a very sad awful moment in time ...

But, what those who are wishing no peace for Jack Tatum should do is to hear the words of Darryl Stingley shortly after Jack Tatum lost a leg to diabetes. He was asked if this was a way of settling things but Stingley said, "I don't accept human nature as our real nature. Human nature teaches us to hate. God teaches us to love."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2826562

Life would be so much better if those of you filled with hate for people who play on sports teams or people of differing political views learned to love rather than allowing yourselves to be swallowed up by such a sickening hateful spirit.

Darryl Stingley (may he also rest in peace) was so right and any person of faith need only turn to God's Holy Word to discover the attitude we are supposed to have ... if we are willing to be the children of God.

Wait, which God? The one that says adulterous women should be buried up to their shoulders and stoned to death? Or the white one?

Anyway, let us remember Mr. Tatum the way hewished to be recalled, using his own most famous words to describe his intent on the field...

“I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault.”