Why are YOU a BILLS fan?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up just blocks away from the Rockpile in the 60's and early 70's. I mean when the Bills were playing on Sundays we can hear the cheers like they were right next door...and they almost were. My Mother took me to my first game Bills vs Steelers . I remember asking my Mom who was number 32, she said it was O.J. Two plays later he goes down the sideline for a long touchdown. Crowd went crazy, I was hooked .

73 season made me a lifelong Bills fan. My parents were huge fans so I guess I was born into it. I saw every game, all the home games me and my Father went to, all the away games we watched together on TV. Watching the Juice run for 2003 yds was priceless.

I have only missed a hand full of games since. If you cut me I bleed Red, White and Blue. My girlfriends have always told me I get way to emotional during Bills games. can't help it .. it been a long ass relationship.

There is something unavoidable about following a team through thick and thin when you are a fan that is inexplicable. I've seen friends who grew up in Buffalo who were 'phins fans from childhood in order to root against their fathers in the spirit of competition who stuck with them thus far lifelong. I have friends from Cleveland whom I empathise with who share my passion for futility. The fact is if you are a true fan you make a commitment the likes of which you don't comprehend until wallowing through a decade or more of futility. To all the Bills, Lions, Browns, Pirates, Sabres, etc fans out there who understand true fandom, kudos to your noble futility. As a fan of the Yankees from the early '90s (pre dynasty) I can say it isn't the same to celebrate a championship for a team that is not truly yours.

Born into it, got my feet wet as a baby at the pile, went to the first games at Rich. Moved a away in 93 but just feels like I couldn't like football much if it wasn't for the Bills to follow. Actually I follow with more interest being half a planet away it seems.

After 50 years I still ask myself that question. When they move to Toronto, I will have made my decision. Until then, no matter what, I'll still wear my Bills stuff and take the abuse. What bugs me to this day is why I still bet on them in the football pools...shouldn't I know better or is it a false hope that they can win...

I was born in Virginia thousands of miles away from Buffalo, my brother "was" a bills fan in the late 80's and I recall in 88 he puttin me on to the team.. He had jackets wool hats gloves all these goodies that I was attach to at a young age.

At that point I said I don't know anything about these bills but my brother will teach me, I remember the wide right like it just happen, yep a heart broken kid with tears of excitement and pain in my eyes so bitter sweet.

I knew rite then I was a fan for life everything I did was buffalo street football with my family we was the Bills. Like I said I grew up in Va so I didn't have the luxury of attending any games all my family was either Redskins, Cowgirls or dolphin fans me the only Bills fan.

I move away in 2000 to New Jersey the most exciting part about this move was I will be closer to the bills! I never been to a Bills home game but I intend to go this year. I'm so loyal to the Bills I took my Vacation time n visited the city of Buffalo took pics of the Ralph walked in the lil shop near the field house and it was a dream come true.

I have been to every Bills and Jets game kick out of 3for assault 1Philly and Bills game almost lost my life and yet I do it with pride! The one thing I love the most and that its more loyal fans like you guys in the world!

Its amazin and some what unique these days to be a Bills fan and I wouldn't trade it for the WORLD! But I believe if this team left the City of Buffalo I just might not share the same passion. And for me its only one football team I hate every team in the NFL point blank period. Go Bills

1988-Til

I am a 3rd generation bills fan,I grew up in the 70s so i wasnt into it but my dad and grandfather were.all that hooting and hollering and beer drinking must have stuck with me cause here i am 42 years old and win lose or draw i cant wait to see our team take the field once again GO BILLS :)

I was born in Virginia thousands of miles away from Buffalo, my brother "was" a bills fan in the late 80's and I recall in 88 he puttin me on to the team.. He had jackets wool hats gloves all these goodies that I was attach to at a young age.

At that point I said I don't know anything about these bills but my brother will teach me, I remember the wide right like it just happen, yep a heart broken kid with tears of excitement and pain in my eyes so bitter sweet.

I knew rite then I was a fan for life everything I did was buffalo street football with my family we was the Bills. Like I said I grew up in Va so I didn't have the luxury of attending any games all my family was either Redskins, Cowgirls or dolphin fans me the only Bills fan.

I move away in 2000 to New Jersey the most exciting part about this move was I will be closer to the bills! I never been to a Bills home game but I intend to go this year. I'm so loyal to the Bills I took my Vacation time n visited the city of Buffalo took pics of the Ralph walked in the lil shop near the field house and it was a dream come true.

I have been to every Bills and Jets game kick out of 3for assault 1Philly and Bills game almost lost my life and yet I do it with pride! The one thing I love the most and that its more loyal fans like you guys in the world!

Its amazin and some what unique these days to be a Bills fan and I wouldn't trade it for the WORLD! But I believe if this team left the City of Buffalo I just might not share the same passion. And for me its only one football team I hate every team in the NFL point blank period. Go Bills

1988-Til

Your loyalty is commendable, but my brain is still recovering after reading that post. I'm not even going to attempt to decipher the "been to every Bills game" statement. I can overlook the grammar and spelling, but I'm guessing you weren't a Geography major at Oxford. Not sure what your brother told you, but even at it's farthest point, no place in Vigina is much more than 600 miles away from Buffalo.

Here's some info that might be useful to you: The Greenville Correction Center is only a little over 500 miles from Orchard Park. That's the equivilant of about 4000 miles on the Laroc1015 scale.

My mom was born and raised in Buffalo so there really was no choice as far as football teams were concerned. She was even offered a spot as a cheerleader for the Bills in 1960 but turned it down to go to college. Grew up in the Capital District and my earliest memory of being a Bills fan was wearing my Bills Jacket from Sears (with the fake leather sleeves) in the early 70's and my poster of OJ on my bedroom wall. Oh the abuse I took as the Giants and Jets were the perennial favorites in Upstate New York.

The Bills were such a big part of my life growing up and some of my fondest memories were watching games with my dad who passed away a few years ago. Every time I see Jim Kelly, I still think of my dad yelling at the TV, "GO JIMBO, GOOOOO".

Bills fans are an amazing bunch. Their passion for their team and the sport of football is second to none and I consider myself fortunate to be a part of it. Whether I am out with my Bills hat/shirt on or in my car (which has both a Bills and Sabres sticker on the rear window), I always run in to fellow fans no matter where I am at. I have also formed some of my strongest friendships with other Bills fans, one of which is a neighbor and arguably the most passionate Bills fan I have ever met. Going out to games is the highlight of the season for me and the tailgating before and after (we are usually one of the last vehicles to leave the parking lot) is amazing! When the Bills are away, we all meet up at a local watering hole to watch the games together on TV. I cannot imagine being a fan of any other team.

I will be at the opener (section 107, row 4) and cannot wait for the season to begin! GO BILLS!!!!!

Interesting responses to this post.

Last year I was finally running out of steam as a Bills fan. I had supported them for their entire existence, but was finally getting fed up with the Ralph show. I dropped Sunday Ticket and watched whatever games were telvised locally. It was like "something was missing." So I paid the bucks and will watch them again, but I reserve the right to be a disgruntal fan until they actually do something.

I have to ask myself occassionally why I am such a die hard. I saw my first game in the 70's, watched in horror most of the 80's, proud as hell through the early 90's but the past ten years have really made me wonder. I haven't lived in WNY since '89 when I graduated from Fredonia but still go to at least one game per year and follow them religously. What have I got in return? A broken tv (wide right), chronic heartburn from April-December, disappointment, heartache...I could go on and on. There have been alot of great times as well, just not this millenium. I guess it boils down to loyalty. They have been my first and only "favorite team" and no matter what I'll always love them (unless they move then I'm done). I get harrassed often when I'm golfing for having a BILLS golfbag. I hear "they have sucked for so long" and "4 straight Superbowl losses" and "you must be a die hard".

Besides for loyalty I was raised in Jamestown. So unlike my friends who were Steeler, Miami, Dallas, Browns fans becasue they were good at the time. I stayed with my BILLS.

WHY ARE YOU A BILLS FAN?

Born and raised in Buffalo. As a kid I collected those fantastic AFL football cards. Remember the oversized ones and the ones with the television boarder? The Bills were one of the best teams back in the mid 60's. My Dad and my uncles watched them on TV and I was right there with them. When I got older I went to games with my friends. I still go back twice a year to see games with my sons and my brothers and their kids. I never miss a game on TV.

Loyalty and tradition. They are my team.

QUOTE (Laroc1015 @ Jul 24 2010, 08:33 AM)

1988-Til

Your loyalty is commendable, but my brain is still recovering after reading that post. I'm not even going to attempt to decipher the "been to every Bills game" statement. I can overlook the grammer and spelling, but I'm guessing you weren't a Geography major at Oxford. Not sure what your brother told you, but even at it's farthest point, no place in Vigina is much more than 600 miles away from Buffalo.

Here's some info that might be useful to you: The Greenville Correction Center is only a little over 500 miles from Orchard Park. That's the equivilant of about 4000 miles on the Laroc1015 scale.

Lighten up DML. While your "brain recovers" please remember that this is a football forum. I find it awesome to have fans like Laroc. He has no roots to the team or the city and yet he loves them both. All you can do with that is criticize his grammar and his knowledge of geography? What a guy. Ironically you misspelled "grammar" but I can overlook it.

Your loyalty is commendable, but my brain is still recovering after reading that post. I'm not even going to attempt to decipher the "been to every Bills game" statement. I can overlook the grammer and spelling, but I'm guessing you weren't a Geography major at Oxford. Not sure what your brother told you, but even at it's farthest point, no place in Vigina is much more than 600 miles away from Buffalo.

Is "Vigina" a new state?

Is "Vigina" a new state?

The malaprop was deliberate, and the post was meant as humour.

And sorry, but when I read...... "I have been to every Bills and Jets game kick out of 3for assault 1Philly and Bills game almost lost my life and yet I do it with pride!" ......It makes me wonder if riding on the short bus for all those years had some emotional impact on the poor soul.

BTW - Vigina is approximately 2300 miles from Penix. Look it up Thurman!

Question, what do you know about greensville correctional you was lock down in GCC? And it basically feel like a million miles away! Maybe I should send you the post before I write it the next time. As I said before I'm a bills fan I'm not here to do grammar check and have mine check by anyone on here! I just can't understand why !@#$s like yourself are even here.... I guess this is another reason to question why are you a bills fan... WOW

The malaprop was deliberate, and the post was meant as humour.

And sorry, but when I read...... "I have been to every Bills and Jets game kick out of 3for assault 1Philly and Bills game almost lost my life and yet I do it with pride!" ......It makes me wonder if riding on the short bus for all those years had some emotional impact on the poor soul.

BTW - Vigina is approximately 2300 miles from Penix. Look it up Thurman!

Ok maybe I should have made myself more clearer but didn't think it would matter as much as I does to you apparently! It felt at the time in my life it was thousands of miles away "FELT". S/N or shall I say second note so your punk ass would understand! I have been to every game since movin here to New Jersey between the Bills and Jets. You want to be a funny guy and make people forget what this topic and board is about. And this short bus thing seriously not even called for. My weekly salary can support your whole barn yard family my friend. Thanks for being a Bills Fan lol we appreciate you... GO Bills!!

Ok maybe I should have made myself more clearer but didn't think it would matter as much as I does to you apparently! It felt at the time in my life it was thousands of miles away "FELT". S/N or shall I say second note so your punk ass would understand! I have been to every game since movin here to New Jersey between the Bills and Jets. You want to be a funny guy and make people forget what this topic and board is about. And this short bus thing seriously not even called for. My weekly salary can support your whole barn yard family my friend. Thanks for being a Bills Fan lol we appreciate you... GO Bills!!

Ooooh - big money man. I assume lucid thoughts and fluid writing don't play a big part in your weekly earnings. God bless Affirmative Action. SMD,B