One writer thinks T.O. is washed up

Doesn't everyone get paid to do their jobs?

You'd be surprised how many people think that getting paid to do your job suddenly takes away your objectivity. Someone essentially accused me of not being objective in a report I wrote because I was a "paid" consultant. So I asked them if they did their job for free.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh--ouch!

Wait for it........

....There it is!!

Doesn't work that way, doc? Does it work like the way JPL would have won all those games he didn't play in? Like that?

Holy non-sequitur, batman! What does taking away the best catch or game of a player in a season have to do with what I allegedly said about JP winning all those games he didn't play in (over the unreproachable Trent Edwards)?

Its not taking anything away, its point out a fact. You need to break down his production to see what you really got. When such a huge % of his production came on one play, that raises red flags. TO simply doesn't have it anymore. He'd make a decent #2 for some team needing a vet presence, but he can't be relied on. You want a guy who had that big a % of his season stats racked up in 1 game? What about the other 15?

Why stop with TO? Why not take away Evans' best game or Fred Jackson's best game (lord knows there was no best game to be taken away from the QB's)?

Why stop with TO? Why not take away Evans' best game or Fred Jackson's best game (lord knows there was no best game to be taken away from the QB's)?

Then do it with them as well. There's a reason why often times the highest and lowest values are tossed out. They are outliers. And you can't rely on outliers for an accurate prediction.

Then do it with them as well. There's a reason why often times the highest and lowest values are tossed out. They are outliers. And you can't rely on outliers for an accurate prediction.

Okay, we toss the outliers out and Jackson doesn't reach 1,000 yards and TO still out-receives Evans. What have we proven? That the offense as a whole wasn't that good?

He is still a very good reciever. Howver, he 36 years old and has created alot of controversy in this league, last year he was well behaved but he often played effortlessly. Nobody wants him so its a matter of do they need him. My guess is if and when somebody loses a #1 reciever in camp or preseason his # will be called.

Its not taking anything away, its point out a fact. You need to break down his production to see what you really got. When such a huge % of his production came on one play, that raises red flags. TO simply doesn't have it anymore. He'd make a decent #2 for some team needing a vet presence, but he can't be relied on. You want a guy who had that big a % of his season stats racked up in 1 game? What about the other 15?

My wife has you pegged for a girl given your avatar .... :)

Holy non-sequitur, batman! What does taking away the best catch or game of a player in a season have to do with what I allegedly said about JP winning all those games he didn't play in (over the unreproachable Trent Edwards)?

The poster was pointing out the skewed nature of an actual stat. You simply imagined JPL's wins (stat). You might now realize I am pointing out your inconsistency in the way you criticize the presentation of statistics.

"Allegedly"?? Now you're referring to your posts as "alleged"? Not even a straight up denial?

A new low!

The poster was pointing out the skewed nature of an actual stat. You simply imagined JPL's wins (stat). You might now realize I am pointing out your inconsistency in the way you criticize the presentation of statistics.

"Allegedly"?? Now you're referring to your posts as "alleged"? Not even a straight up denial?

A new low!

What wins of JPL's did I imagine?

The only accurate prediction one can make for the Bills passing game is that they go into this year having lost their receiving leader for catches and yards/ There cam be a credible prediction that the guy who finished #2 among WRs Evans in these categories for the Bills can reasonably be expected to be the #1.

However, this leaves the Bills without anywhere near an NFL proven #2 as the candidates are:

1. Steven Jackson- subjectively the best candidate as he is a good route runner who has demonstrated good hands sporadically in his brief career. However, it is a simple fact that he regressed in actual accomplishments virtually across the board last year (catches, yards. PT and starts) and a demand that he step up to legit #2 is gonna be a load at best.

2. James Hardy- Coming off an injury and has never produced anything to justify his lofty draft position

3. Roscoe Parrish- Just as easily (if perhaps more easily) could be out of town based on his past accomplishments.

4. Marcus Easley- highly regarded rookie but still second day choice and like any rookie it is gonna be a reach for him to even start much less star as a #2.

It simply is not an unreasonable prediction at all that the Bills will miss TOs real world output (be it an outlier or whatever) without regard to his personality this year. The difficult thing is that we really have no credible plan A to replace that output or the immediate impacts that we have a hole at #2 WR.

What this leads me to is the bad idea that Spiller is the best candidate we have for the #2 WR spot.

Yes it is a bad idea.

However, yes, I think the alternatives are worse.

I think we would ironically be likely better off resigning a cutrate TO to be our #2 rather than simply going with what we got.

The bad idea of seeing Spiller eventually occupy the #2 WR slot (whether it is formally recognized on the depth chart or not) strikes me as our best option.

Ah, the old "take away X play/game and..." Sorry, doesn't work that way. No player averages exactly their season average/play, whether it be a RB, WR, TE, etc.

50 yards per game is not a great season. It's fine. OK. But not for 6M/year. Take away the one game, and his average is 40 yards/game. Josh Reed could have done better as the starter.

It does work that way when you're supposed to be a top guy and don't play like one, quit on the team, and drop a ton of passes.

He didn't show much last season.

50 yards per game is not a great season. It's fine. OK. But not for 6M/year. Take away the one game, and his average is 40 yards/game. Josh Reed could have done better as the starter.

It does work that way when you're supposed to be a top guy and don't play like one, quit on the team, and drop a ton of passes.

:devil:

And what do you call 38 yards/game at $7.5M/year? And that's not even taking away his best game.

Yes, because his play was the only factor effecting his stats.

Yes, because his play was the only factor effecting his stats.

See Sanders, Barry.

Good players play better on good teams. Great players can still find a way to play well.

If TO caught half the passes he dropped, he probably has a 1,000 yard season and a few more TDs...and a job.

If he put forth top effort for the whole season and even still has the drops, he would have a job.

Dallas, Jets, Cleveland '07 come to mind.

What, the games in which Trent threw for 176, 130, and 124 yards, and threw a combined 0 TD and 2 INT's? Yeah, how could I ever say that JP could have done better? Not that predicting a different outcome with a different player hasn't been done to death here, or has any relevance to taking away TO's best game from last year.

See Sanders, Barry.

Good players play better on good teams. Great players can still find a way to play well.

If TO caught half the passes he dropped, he probably has a 1,000 yard season and a few more TDs...and a job.

If he put forth top effort for the whole season and even still has the drops, he would have a job.

How many passes do you think he dropped? Especially compared to other seasons in his HOF career?