One writer thinks T.O. is washed up

You should doubt it. This is a team that brought in Larry Jouhnson and Matt Jones. Also they brought back Chris Henry.

But, hey, when you have one of the worst passing offenses in the league last year, why not bring in TO to help turn it around? That should work, right?

Depends on a lot of factors, not just TO.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yepper... T.O. sure is all washed up now, isn't he...?

I guess the reigning AFC North champs disagree... but I doubt they have a better idea on what a player has left than a Fox Sports journalist... :blink:

When you resort to holding the Bengals up as a model franchise, it's time to step away from the keyboard.

You should doubt it. This is a team that brought in Larry Jouhnson and Matt Jones. Also they brought back Chris Henry.

But, hey, when you have one of the worst passing offenses in the league last year, why not bring in TO to help turn it around? That should work, right?

He seemed to do alright with our lousy passing game last year... Better than anyone else on our offense statistically... I'd hardly call a team bad when they beat out the Steelers and Ravens for the division... Owens joins Antonio Bryant and Ocho Cinco, so it isn't as if he will be reviving the passing game on his own... More like complementing and balancing the run-oriented attack... and very solid defense.

When you resort to holding the Bengals up as a model franchise, it's time to step away from the keyboard.

Go ahead... Build up that straw man so you can knock it down... Perhaps you should step away... Or simply read what others post... Its not that difficult. The real John Adams would be disappointed in your cheap debate tactics...

Where did I ever say anything about them being a model franchise..? I merely stated that they may have a better idea of how to evaluate a player than a journalist looking to write an easy story on an easy target... Again, that criminal team of gangsters won the division last year... before they signed T.O. or Antonio Bryant.. T.O. doesn't have to be what he was when he was 25.. Just solid, that's all.. But washed up..? Where have his statistics proven that he can't play anymore? The guy is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and is now on an offense with some real talent... Barring injury, he should complement the rest of that offense pretty well.. Time will tell, but I have a feeling this season T.O. will be better than you typical, unoriginal haters think... But go ahead, keep hating... Its easy...

Go ahead... Build up that straw man so you can knock it down... Perhaps you should step away... Or simply read what others post... Its not that difficult. The real John Adams would be disappointed in your cheap debate tactics...

You know little about John Adams. I took his name for a reason.

You know little about John Adams. I took his name for a reason.

How would you know what I know of him..? Actually I've read quite a bit about him...

Funny though that you would pick that one sentence to reply to and completely ignore the true subject of the debate, Mr. Adams...

He seemed to do alright with our lousy passing game last year... Better than anyone else on our offense statistically... I'd hardly call a team bad when they beat out the Steelers and Ravens for the division... Owens joins Antonio Bryant and Ocho Cinco, so it isn't as if he will be reviving the passing game on his own... More like complementing and balancing the run-oriented attack... and very solid defense.

The passing offense was bad. You can't describe it any other way. That is what I am saying--reread. Palmer was destroyed by the Jets 2 weeks in a row to end the Bengals' division winning season in embarrassing fashion.

The passing offense was bad. You can't describe it any other way. That is what I am saying--reread. Palmer was destroyed by the Jets 2 weeks in a row to end the Bengals' division winning season in embarrassing fashion.

It was bad because the Bengals didn't have a replacement for Housh, opposite CO. Coles proved to be a bust.

Depends on a lot of factors, not just TO.

It was bad because the Bengals didn't have a replacement for Housh, opposite CO. Coles proved to be a bust.

So with the TO and the Bills, it was "a lot of factors". With the Bengals, it was one guy.

OK.

Coles didn't pan out but one has to appreciate their attempt to try and replace Housh. He had the early dropsies. But he was correct with his remark that Palmer likes "tall receivers" - because after the '05 knee injury, he throws high with some regularity.

In defense of him, he injured his left thumb in the 1st or 2nd game last season, so he handed off with his right hand. Did a remarkable job of it, too.

The pass attack fell pretty low after the late Chris Henry broke his arm. The B'gals increasingly began using an unbalanced line, running Benson and rookie Scott. When Benson was hurt for a few games, they brought in Larry Johnson - he did a serviceable job for them. Coles helped...I didn't realize what a good run blocker he is.

IIRC, Palmer only had 5 completions of more than 40 yards.

So with the TO and the Bills, it was "a lot of factors". With the Bengals, it was one guy.

OK.

Right, because the only "factor" in Buffalo last year was TO. And there were numerous other changes on offense in Cincy last year. :beer:

The 2010 season has yet to play out, doc. If the Bengals say, fire their OC and cut their starting LT days before the season, have rookies playing on the O-line, and Palmer gets injured, things won't be too rosy on offense for them.

Coles didn't pan out but one has to appreciate their attempt to try and replace Housh. He had the early dropsies. But he was correct with his remark that Palmer likes "tall receivers" - because after the '05 knee injury, he throws high with some regularity.

In defense of him, he injured his left thumb in the 1st or 2nd game last season, so he handed off with his right hand. Did a remarkable job of it, too.

The pass attack fell pretty low after the late Chris Henry broke his arm. The B'gals increasingly began using an unbalanced line, running Benson and rookie Scott. When Benson was hurt for a few games, they brought in Larry Johnson - he did a serviceable job for them. Coles helped...I didn't realize what a good run blocker he is.

IIRC, Palmer only had 5 completions of more than 40 yards.

Chris Henry didn't really do much in Cincy, outside of 2006, where he had 36 catches for 605 yards and 9 TD's, and the Bengals' offense ranked 8th in points and yards. In 2007, he missed 8 games (which is the same number he missed last year) and the team was 11th in points (they actually scored 0.5 PPG more in 2007 than 2006) and 10th in yards. I'm sure Palmer is on the downside, but TO should help the passing game out a lot. Again assuming what I mentioned above doesn't happen.

Washed up is a vague term...

Is TO the same player as he was 10 years ago...Probably Not...Is he better than many of the productive WRs in the NFL...Probably Yes....He is a hard worker and usually that will pay off.

Hard worker? You're joking right? Dude wouldn't even try to catch the ball unless it was thrown right to him.