What makes a "first class" organization?

We hear all the time about players visiting teams before being signed and them talking about how organizations are first class. What exactly do you think they are referring to? Fancy dinners and luxury? Or the way they are being treated and respect shown as players? Other ideas?

We hear all the time about players visiting teams before being signed and them talking about how organizations are first class. What exactly do you think they are referring to? Fancy dinners and luxury? Or the way they are being treated and respect shown as players? Other ideas?

Gaudy rings and Lombardi Trophies

Certainly isn't profit. Profitable teams are usually mediocre or lousy.

I think of the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Pirates are a profitable operation, in the black for six or seven years in a row. Make money hand over fist, but fields one, if not the lousiest teams in baseball.

Same for the Clippers in the NBA.

Same for the Arizona Cardinals for decades.

They are referring to the team that just signed them.

My guess would be first the money - because first class organizations aren't going to be given the time of day if they weren't giving the player the best deal, or close to it. Second, the facilities - up to date weight rooms, stadium, training facilities. Third - maybe limo treatment, wining and dining them.

By those standards I don't think we finish in the top half of the NFL.

Come on. Free agents and rookies say essentially the same things over and over. When you are signed (or drafted) by a team, you are obligated to say the same tired old cliches: a great organization, great fans, etc., etc., etc. You say that because they are about to pay you as much money as the average fan makes in his lifetime, if they keep you. So you don't want to rock the boat. Also, free agents want to make it appear that they had lots of choices and took the best one.

The constant promotion of winning up and down the entire organization from the GM to the players to the ball boys and the parking lot attendants.

I think about the Yankees and the environment they promote (and its something every player in baseball knows) has everything to do about winning.

Its all about mentality.

I'd like to think its something like this:

1 - General approach to doing things. Attitude of the locker room, everyone gets their chance to compete to contribute, unified front office, etc.

2 - Dedication to winning. You can't be considered "first" at anything but the draft if you don't have this.

3 - Current state of the team. Everything from the public perception of the team name to condition of the stadium and facilities.

4 - History to the franchise. Not just a collection of rings, but also historic moments, great players of the past, established non-bandwagon fan base.

In reality, add to the list that it is something that players are encouraged to say when they sign with a new team, and the paycheck probably helps them to mean it.

The constant promotion of winning up and down the entire organization from the GM to the players to the ball boys and the parking lot attendants.

I think about the Yankees and the environment they promote (and its something every player in baseball knows) has everything to do about winning.

Its all about mentality.

parking lot attendants?

Its all about mentality.

The Yankees do nothing but buy talent. Baseball is a jaded sport. How do the Yankees not contend for the WS every year when they are paying their players practically double is beyond comprehension. Are the Yankees a first class outfit - yes, but not for the right reasons.

For me a first class organization is a business that is well run from the top down. Proper leadership is everything, as it eminates through all of its people. The teams don't have to necessarily spend money, but make proper decisions when spending. If it is a place where you want to come to work and want to be a part of, that to be is the biggest point. There are a lot of good teams out there with screwed up owners, players that aren't happy, etc. I think we are moving in the right direction, but we have been on a downhill slide since Polian left (my condolences to Butler, but when Polian left, the team slowly began to fall apart). Nix may be the first person to actually put the structure and attitude in place for what we need.

95% of the time it is likely just a result of a player being wined and dined lavishly and given a contract offer that wasn't insulting.

"This really is a first class organization" = They flew me out here on a G-4, had 30 people waiting to kiss my ass as I walked in the door, put a huge banner with me in my new jersey on the wall and told me how wonderful I was."

"They really know how to treat their players" = They offered me $3MM more per year than the last team I visited.

But not all these guys are idiots...and I'd suspect in 5% (or more) of the cases it is a genuine endorsement that the organization treats the players as men and with respect. They aren't patronized and they aren't tossed around like poker chips.

Winning

somewhere in that equation is "first class fans showing first class support"