Spiller planning on holding out?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like these answers:

Q: If Lynch is not traded this summer, are you worried about sharing time with Jackson and Lynch?

A: I think it's great to have three guys who can carry the load. We can all get the job done. Sometimes, two of us will be on the field together. I think we can be an explosive offense.

Q: It is difficult to find somebody who is not picking the Bills to finish last in the AFC East. How much does that motivate the players?

A: That might motivate some guys. But we understand we're not a big-name team like the Patriots, who have won three Super Bowls, or the Jets, coming off a great season. We have to worry about taking care of our business. I don't think anyone up here is discouraged because we're not generating much talk. There's nothing we can do if people want to be negative. But all of our guys have been working hard. I believe hard work always pays off.

Q: Because you were an explosive special teams player in college, would you like to continue returning kickoffs and punts in the NFL?

A: If it can help my team win, I'm willing to do it. I've been catching punts and kicks in practice. Our main objective is to get the ball into the playmaker's hands.

I'll let someone else mention that RB is probably the least important player to have from day 1 of camp.

I wouldn't say he's planning on it, he's saying it's a tool to get what his agent and himself consider a fair offer from the Bills. But seeing as how most first round picks, especially top ten almost go to the wire before training camp I'm not looking at this as anything but a reporter asking a question and it being taken out of context/reporter using part of a quote to make it seem like something. I mean as far as we know there hasn't even been an offer made.

Posturing.

If he came out and told them he's eager and will sign right now, it gives the Bills the upper

hand.

He's a RB. Don't really need him to be in at start of camp as much as a DL guy. Now, if it's

opening day and he's not signed....then I'd worry.

Take your slot value and sign. Don't be an ass.

I don't know. If they are close, then yeah probably just sign. But if "slot value" isn't what I and my agent figure I'm worth then I hold out until I get what I deserve. He probably isn't signing a 1 year deal after all. He needs to consider his financial future. It's easy to say "just sign". But these disputes aren't always the players fault.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...act-before-camp

I thought I read a few days ago how much he wanted to get into camp, now he is saying he is in no rush to sign a contract and get to camp on time? I sure hope Lynch isn't having too much of an impression on him

I love this part of the article above:

Spiller says:..."I let my agent handle all of that," Spiller told Clifton Brown of Sporting News. "We're not going to rush. We're going to make sure we cross our T's and dot our I's, however long the process takes. I just have to be patient."...

My translation: "We're not going to rush. We're going to wait for the number 8 and number 10 picks to sign first, since Jim Overdorff and Russ Brandon have not blown us away with an offer yet.".... :thumbsup: You just have to love the owners. On one side of their mouths they complain that the players already get too much of the money. On the other side of their mouths, they continue to say OK to their GM's / VP's / "Inner Circle Member Responsible for Paying Players" to bow down to rookie agents and over-pay these kids that have never played a down yet.

I love this part of the article above:

Spiller says:..."I let my agent handle all of that," Spiller told Clifton Brown of Sporting News. "We're not going to rush. We're going to make sure we cross our T's and dot our I's, however long the process takes. I just have to be patient."...

My translation: "We're not going to rush. We're going to wait for the number 8 and number 10 picks to sign first, since Jim Overdorff and Russ Brandon have not blown us away with an offer yet.".... :thumbsup: You just have to love the owners. On one side of their mouths they complain that the players already get too much of the money. On the other side of their mouths, they continue to say OK to their GM's / VP's / "Inner Circle Member Responsible for Paying Players" to bow down to rookie agents and over-pay these kids that have never played a down yet.

Yeah, well, we are implicitly supporting that mindset by buying tickets and merchandise. As much as I think it is disgusting that athletes and entertainers get paid so much money, in a free market things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. And we, as fans, are willing to pay for these guys to make ridiculous sums of money for entertaining us.

I thought I read a few days ago how much he wanted to get into camp, now he is saying he is in no rush to sign a contract and get to camp on time? I sure hope Lynch isn't having too much of an impression on him

I really hope there is a rookie wage scale in the next CBA. These guys want the world handed to them when they haven't even played a down in the NFL. I don't care where he was drafted, what position he plays, or how long their career lasts. You know how many people would kill for an opportunity like the ones they're gettign? Think of all the unemployed people who got nothing. One year of your contract could feed a lot of people. Shut up, take your deal, show up on time, and do your job and be thankful you have one.

Posturing.

If he came out and told them he's eager and will sign right now, it gives the Bills the upper

hand.

He's a RB. Don't really need him to be in at start of camp as much as a DL guy. Now, if it's

opening day and he's not signed....then I'd worry.

He is also a rookie, so it is much more important for him to be there when camp opens than a RB with 3 or 4 years experience in the NFL.

If he does hold out, which I doubt he will, it wont be for long. He made plenty of money at clemson. I think he's just posturing like someone else said, this isnt anything to get all worked up about.