Jim Kelly hopes Trent Edwards is the starter

"I hope it's Trent," Kelly said on Friday at Coca-Cola Field for Hunter's Hope Night for the Buffalo Bisons game that was called due to poor field conditions. "I know Trent, I've known him for a couple of years and I think everyone hopes that one guy will step up."

Kelly, 50, has apparently changed his tune from last November when he told USA Today that while he admires Edwards, he believed it was time for the team to move on.

"I like Trent personally," Kelly told USA Today. "He works hard. But he's had three years. It's time to find somebody who is the future of the Buffalo Bills. If I'm the owner, that's what I'm thinking."

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/07/09/1108...or-edwards.html

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gailey said after the team's minicamp last month that there would be a "pecking order" for the start of camp, and didn't reveal at the close of the camp where the team's three quarterbacks — Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Brian Brohm — stand. Kelly said Edwards has the potential to emerge as the starter.

"He's a good kid and he works hard," Kelly continued. "He's got the ability but I hope he gets in a system and has some healthy guys in front of him. It's unfair to judge someone to totally over the season when a guy has an offensive scheme that I was mind-boggled that they stayed with."

First Kelly bashes Trent by criticizing Cali QB's playing in Buffalo. Now he hopes Edwards starts. :devil:

That was when he wanted someone new brought in. Since no one was brought in, Trent remains the best of a bad bunch (at least in Kelly's estimation, as well as mine).

First Kelly bashes Trent by criticizing Cali QB's playing in Buffalo. Now he hopes Edwards starts. :devil:

Not to mention throwing his old friend, Alex Van Pelt under the bus!

Kelly works for the Bills, in some capacity. I have to think, if he is now giving his support to Trent, he knows something that we don't know...

Guest dog14787
"I hope it's Trent," Kelly said on Friday at Coca-Cola Field for Hunter's Hope Night for the Buffalo Bisons game that was called due to poor field conditions. "I know Trent, I've known him for a couple of years and I think everyone hopes that one guy will step up."

Kelly, 50, has apparently changed his tune from last November when he told USA Today that while he admires Edwards, he believed it was time for the team to move on.

"I like Trent personally," Kelly told USA Today. "He works hard. But he's had three years. It's time to find somebody who is the future of the Buffalo Bills. If I'm the owner, that's what I'm thinking."

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/07/09/1108...or-edwards.html

Kelly just figures using reverse psychology on the Bills HC, Chan Gailey may get better results,

Kelly works for the Bills, in some capacity. I have to think, if he is now giving his support to Trent, he knows something that we don't know...

.....or crazy dingo is right.

Only one thing can be going on here---that's right, chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

Time for a portion of Jim's brain to be sent to West Virginia, where a diagnosis is waiting....

There has never been a worse stretch by any QB in the NFL, as far as I can recall, than the one endured by Edwards last season. It was painful to watch. The uncertainty, the fear, the loss of whatever - confidence, guts... whatever makes a QB capable of making good decisions even under hard situations. But, we have to agree that the conditions he landed in last year were bad, that many a QB would have floundered there. Was it schemes, play calling, WR's not getting open, O-line not protecting - all of it combined to make Edwards season bad. Yet, the way he dealt with it all was not a good sign, in my opinion.

Maybe he was coached to dump the ball off a lot more than we might believe... maybe he can come back to the form he was in before the concussion. Because it was night and day difference there. He was the cool QB who made smart decisions, who led the team from behind, who was an up-and-coming franchise QB. If Gailey can somehow wipe away the negative consequences of Edwards performance last year and bring onto the field this season the Edwards of old, then we could have a wild-card team. Can he come back from it?

With the defense we have going into this season, and our RB's, and the new dynamic at our WR positions - I think we've got speed there like the super bowl Rams had, not even kidding - Parrish, Jackson, Easley, Hardy, Evans, and a T.E. in Nelson - all who have what? 4.3 - 4.4 speed. Then our undrafted rookies and Stevie Johnson are looking nice, too. If Edwards could manage the games, keep the chains moving, allow the running game to open up, and then hit some of our fast recievers down field for big chunks of yardage - that would be ideal. That's hoping Edwards returns to form.

"Maybe he was coached to dump the ball off a lot more than we might believe... "

Anybody remember the press conference after a loss when TE said in a moment of frustration, "I just do what the coaches tell me to do."

I think "Captain Checkdown" as he's been labeled was by design...DJ's design...not his.

"Maybe he was coached to dump the ball off a lot more than we might believe... "

Anybody remember the press conference after a loss when TE said in a moment of frustration, "I just do what the coaches tell me to do."

I think "Captain Checkdown" as he's been labeled was by design...DJ's design...not his.

Or he was not accepting his fair share of the blame. He is very good at not accepting any blame.

Or he was not accepting his fair share of the blame. He is very good at not accepting any blame.

I had considered that, but now that Kelly has stated the offensive scheme stunk, I think the handwriting is on the wall. What better way to conceal a dysfunctional system than to instruct your QB to check down.

Yes - so either Kelly has the inside scoop on this (likely) or he's an incurable loose cannon.

the writing has been on the wall since the draft. Yod think that people who post on message boards would be a bit more attuned to the way the team communicates through the Buffalo News and other house organs. Now Jimbo is just confirming what anyone who closely follows the team has known for three months: barrng a remarkable breakut camp by Brohm or a total meltdown by Trent, Edwards is the starter in 2010.

Get behind him. Th guy's got skills. We'll never know how much of 2009 was him and how much was the impossible position he was places in if we don't gve him a chance under a sold offensive mind. The people on this board that want to place 100% of the blame on Trent are completely unreasonable. Some guys enter the league great but most need to be put in an environment where they can succeed. Hope that's Trent in Gailey's quick slant passing offense

Doesn't leave too much to question why Kelly isn't working as a football analyst or commentator does it? He was a great quarterback, and gave so much to this team and city, but you have to take what he says with a grain of salt. Sounds like he is bored or starting to miss the attention he received as a player. He doesn't have to worry, Bills fans won't ever forget him. With that said, I totally agree with him and hope Edwards is the starter, as he is the obvious choice. If Gailey wants to prove he is this great QB coach and mentor that alot of people claim he is, let his actions do the talking, make a good NFL caliber signal caller out of a guy whose confidence has taken a beating with terrible offensive lines and pathetic game plans.

I don't think Kelly's throwing AVP under the bus. I think he's acknowledging that Jauron was an idiot managing the offense.

It really didn't matter who the coordinator was, offense was strictly limited because of Jauron. Seems like Kelly only realized it sometime in 2010.