Jets may not have a happy camper in their midst, Revis

Players dedicated long ago to take those ricks. I have zero sympathy for the players. He can go work at Burger King and not have to worry about injury.

It's one of the reasons they are paid so well to begin with is because of that risk. They can't keep going around talking about they should be paid *even more* because of that same risk.

Players are disingenuous when they say stuff like that. He'd still want that money even if the contract was guaranteed.

You go into your next review and try to get your employer to pay because you "might" get hurt. Heck, just try to tell him that he should give you a raise for next year because you will continue to perform at your job.

Comparing playing in the NFL to a regular job is flat out wrong. There are million things wrong with that analogy. He has the talent and busted his @ss to get where he is at. And your argument might have a little weight if Revis couldn't get the money elsewhere. If he was on the open market, he'd get what he wanted in a second. Don't kid yourself.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So essentially, you're saying the fact that he has a signed contract should mean nothing?

OK, so let's say the Jets make him the highest paid CB today and sign him to a 5 year deal. Then in 2011, he's just average. Hardy beats him for 2 TDs, even. Do the Jets get a new deal and cut him down to the 5th or 7th or whatever best CB level, because that's how he played in 2011?

If it's fair for him to get a new, higher contract every time he plays good; shouldn't the owner get a new, lower contract every time he plays bad?

Why does it have to be a one way street? That's why you sign contracts. Maybe they should just get rid of contracts all together?

Ive thought about a league without contracts. very intriguing idea. or maybe only 1 & 2 yr deals. something to stop this nonsense.

Comparing playing in the NFL to a regular job is flat out wrong. There are million things wrong with that analogy. He has the talent and busted his @ss to get where he is at. And your argument might have a little weight if Revis couldn't get the money elsewhere. If he was on the open market, he'd get what he wanted in a second. Don't kid yourself.

value on the open market is irrelevant if your rights are locked up for years. thats the point. guy signs multiyear deal for security. if u want to market yourself every year then dont sign long deals. let your play speak for itself every year & more power to ya.

Do people with "regular" jobs not have talent and often bust their @ss to get where the are [at]? Again, High risk job with a short career span, you're generating millions of dollars, get what you can get. No problem. But I fail to see how being born with natural athletic ability somehow makes you more deserving of what you earn than people in other fields.

As far as the open market, he signed a contract, and in 3 yrs will be on the open market and will get to see if there's another Al Davis out there that wants to commit over $15 million/yr guaranteed salary to a CB. in the meantime, he might consider himself fortunate. A lot of teams won't even negotiate a contract with 3 years left.

If I owned a team and some clown tried that **** with me, I just let him sit and fine his ass. Then I wait till he is a FA and tag his ass...hell maybe two years straight just because.

!@#$ these clowns. They are EMPLOYEES, Time for the owners to re establish that fact.

This sounds so familiar...

PTR

Worst post ever. If Revis blows his knee out, which can happen on any play in the most physical sport in the world, the Jets will cut him and pay him nothing. Players should try and get paid as much as they can when they can because the NFL is a cruel business with no guaranteed contracts.

Thast true but Revis also knew that before he signed his rookie contract. He shouldnt have accepted that contract if he wanted to have a new one now. He accepted a long rookie contract with a lot of guarenteed $ which gave him more security incase he busted out of the league. Now that he is a PBer he wants a new deal which will pay him more money now that he has proved himself.

He cant have his cake and eat it too.

PS:

McGee>Revis

JMO

Worst post ever. If Revis blows his knee out, which can happen on any play in the most physical sport in the world, the Jets will cut him and pay him nothing. Players should try and get paid as much as they can when they can because the NFL is a cruel business with no guaranteed contracts.

Wah. Tough ****, actually get a !@#$ing education and go to WORK! !@#$ em

Thast true but Revis also knew that before he signed his rookie contract. He shouldnt have accepted that contract if he wanted to have a new one now. He accepted a long rookie contract with a lot of guarenteed $ which gave him more security incase he busted out of the league. Now that he is a PBer he wants a new deal which will pay him more money now that he has proved himself.

He cant have his cake and eat it too.

PS:

McGee>Revis

JMO

Jason Peters? :thumbsup:

I played through college and know how brutal it is. I know guys who messed up their back and it will affect them for the rest of their lives.

Players deserve every cent.

Players holding out everytime they have a good year is pathetic. Treating them like heros because they play a game that puts them at risk of injury is pathetic. I understand their career is short and they are trying to get as much as they can. But this is insane. There are a select few that holdout when ever they are not the highest paid at their position. That is pretty much every year with newer contracts. Let us not forget they play a game.

There are people who are extremely gifted at their job who not only risk their body to injury, but they risk their lives. They only wish their boss was a "greedy" owner. Their boss is a lying, self centered, cheating politician. I'm guessing you know by now I'm speaking of the military, fireman and policeman. Some of them are just as good at their job as Revis is "playing" CB.

They don't deserve every cent. Sign a contract and play it out. If you were a 6th round QB taking your team to and winning SB's getting paid 6th round money, then come talk to me. Revis was drafted in the first round and was expected to be a stud and got paid accordingly.

Players holding out everytime they have a good year is pathetic. Treating them like heros because they play a game that puts them at risk of injury is pathetic. I understand their career is short and they are trying to get as much as they can. But this is insane. There are a select few that holdout when ever they are not the highest paid at their position. That is pretty much every year with newer contracts. Let us not forget they play a game.

There are people who are extremely gifted at their job who not only risk their body to injury, but they risk their lives. They only wish their boss was a "greedy" owner. Their boss is a lying, self centered, cheating politician. I'm guessing you know by now I'm speaking of the military, fireman and policeman. Some of them are just as good at their job as Revis is "playing" CB.

They don't deserve every cent. Sign a contract and play it out. If you were a 6th round QB taking your team to and winning SB's getting paid 6th round money, then come talk to me. Revis was drafted in the first round and was expected to be a stud and got paid accordingly.

Revis should be told, "your under contract and we expect you here. If you decide not to show, you will be fined."

I haven't any issue with players negotiating new contracts or extensions when they have only a year left on their contracts, but if they have two or more years, the owners MUST have to fortitude to not pacify and over pay these overgrown children, such as Revis.

Most of those other jobs you are talking about don't work the same as the entertainment industry. Actors and athletes get treated differently in this country

What a ridiculous comment. Have you seen his other posts??

There's no way a living, breathing, thinking person could...wait, reading the vick thread...you are serious.

Revis can't get the money elsewhere. He has a contract. Name one point in the history of the NFL that a player under contract has been made an official contract offer from another team.

Revis must be reading his own press clippings and sniffing glue. Wait is glue on the banned substance list?

Well, yeah---and his clippings accurately describe him as the best CB in the league. But there is no "open market" for him. He is under contract. He can either play and get paid or not play and not get paid. Nobody in the league cares about the risk he exposes himself to in order to make millions enjoying recreation. Neither do Jets fans, I would think.

I think the Jets are going to implode. They are going about winning the wrong way. They have a 1-2 year window to win the big one or they are going to have issues. They have guys like Harris and Revis to ante up big contracts for and the money just isn't going to be there, with the Ferguson contract, and all the free agent contracts they've taken on.

And here's another thing:

Notice teams like Pittsburgh, Indy, and New England don't usually sign big ticket free agents and don't often give out big contracts to their players that come up for free agency. For me there's two ways to look at this. The first being that they are well run organizations that have the new found Bills philosophy of stacking players on top of players, so these players are replaced from within. The second is as long as you have your franchise QB, most of the other positions are more interchangeable because you have that constant.

The Jets don't have either. I'm telling you if Sanchez doesn't pan out, this team is going to be in turmoil with a high payroll with little flexibility, and they'll be stuck with too many high priced players to maneuver.