Couple thoughts on qb Fitz

No one is really sure about what is going to happen with qbs right now except Gailey and I have always been a Edwards guy, but I want to put some positive kudos in the Fitz direction because he seems to be the odd man out.

Solid game against the Indy backups and threw touchdowns to Evans with alot of conviction against the Panthers and the Jets at big moments of the game. What really impressed me, however, was the blocks downfield on an off tackle to Lynch that should have been a five yard gain but his block made it a thirty yard plus gain and he did the same thing against the dolphins and he ran for a touchdown too.

The primary job of a qb is to throw and not to block but it tells me that his head is really in the game and he understands what it takes to win and is willing to sacrifice his body to do it.

Edwards may be more talented and may get the starting job at qb but his overall "football awareness" is not as good as Fitz's.

No one is really sure about what is going to happen with qbs right now except Gailey and I have always been a Edwards guy, but I want to put some positive kudos in the Fitz direction because he seems to be the odd man out.

Solid game against the Indy backups and threw touchdowns to Evans with alot of conviction against the Panthers and the Jets at big moments of the game. What really impressed me, however, was the blocks downfield on an off tackle to Lynch that should have been a five yard gain but his block made it a thirty yard plus gain and he did the same thing against the dolphins and he ran for a touchdown too.

The primary job of a qb is to throw and not to block but it tells me that his head is really in the game and he understands what it takes to win and is willing to sacrifice his body to do it.

Edwards may be more talented and may get the starting job at qb but his overall "football awareness" is not as good as Fitz's.

No argument from me. Fitz is football SMART. If he had Jim Kellys' arm we'd be set for years. That's why I see him as a solid #2 guy. He sees the game, and can help the #1, and come in for a short period and be reasonably effective.

I'm going to give Fitz the benefit of the doubt. Even a great arm cannot overcome a stupid offensive scheme. I think Gailey will make whoever wins the starting spot look better than they have at any point in their careers. I would not be surprised if Fitz wins the job at all.

No argument from me. Fitz is football SMART. If he had Jim Kellys' arm we'd be set for years. That's why I see him as a solid #2 guy. He sees the game, and can help the #1, and come in for a short period and be reasonably effective.

Absolutely. I said it before in another thread. Fitz sets the baseline performance of a QB for this team. Edwards and Brohm need to be just as good and even better than Fitz to remain on this team.

Fitz is my pick heading into pre season. He's not pretty. But in 9 games in 2009 he was the leading passer and we won 5 and lost 4. He made bad plays, but he also made huge plays in our first two divisional wins in who knows how long. That slant to Evans in the first Jets game was beauty. He also came up huge in Q4 of the Fish game. I was there. It was great.

He's football smart, does whatever it takes, has confidence in himself, and has LEADERSHIP. This is way more important than tight spirals. a stong arm, and "upside".

I think Fitz gives us the best chance to win this season. He has what the others don't A command presence, a passion for the game, and most importantly he is not afraid to loose. Nevertheless, I think he is 'odd man out." He still isn't very good and has very limited upside. Also, I believe this regime isn't pressured to win this year. The QB who will have his chance to shine is Brian Brohm...

I'm going to give Fitz the benefit of the doubt. Even a great arm cannot overcome a stupid offensive scheme. I think Gailey will make whoever wins the starting spot look better than they have at any point in their careers. I would not be surprised if Fitz wins the job at all.

Looks like tyranny is winning.

Yes, it does appear so for the time being.

Some of us want to win as many games as possible this year. Others are willing to use 2010 as another in a long line of QB experimental "rebuilding" seasons. I hope Coach Gailey and Buddy Nix agree with me.

Let's not get carried away here. Fitz does bring a some desired intangibles to the table, but he also made quite a few poor decisions on his throws last year. I recall him getting lucky and not being picked off more than I cared for. Also, when a QB

makes one good throw, followed by two poor ones, he's shown he cannot be the guy. Consistency is very important and Fitz is anything but.

Guest dog14787
Let's not get carried away here. Fitz does bring a some desired intangibles to the table, but he also made quite a few poor decisions on his throws last year. I recall him getting lucky and not being picked off more than I cared for. Also, when a QB

makes one good throw, followed by two poor ones, he's shown he cannot be the guy. Consistency is very important and Fitz is anything but.

Was it poor decision on his throws or was Fitz just forced to try to make plays despite the predictable ( well defensed) scheming/play calling and poor pass protection. I'm a big fan of Trent Edwards , but one thing I'll say for Ryan Fitzpatrick is he probably has more courage then all three QB's combined and his wonderlic scores speaks for itself, the guys no dummy.

There's allot to like about Ryan Fitzpatrick in my opinion and although accuracy may not be his strong point, I think its better then the results he had on the football field last season

even if he doesnt start (i believe he should) Fitz is so smart he will be standing next to and giving Chan ideas. he has a rocket arm on the slants and is not afraid to chuck it into the middle. the most decisive of the three, although havnt seen much brohm.

i dont see all the non accuracy you all see in fitzm, although i feel edwards is pretty inaccurate and throws a "soft" ball, and tends towards "locking on" to a reciever.

even if he doesnt start (i believe he should) Fitz is so smart he will be standing next to and giving Chan ideas. he has a rocket arm on the slants and is not afraid to chuck it into the middle. the most decisive of the three, although havnt seen much brohm.

i dont see all the non accuracy you all see in fitzm, although i feel edwards is pretty inaccurate and throws a "soft" ball, and tends towards "locking on" to a reciever.

I agree that Trent does tend to lock in on one receiver. However, I think Gailey will make a brand new QB out of Trent (and the others, for that matter). I'm looking forward to their pre-season performances to see if they've advanced under Chan's tutelage.

This what I think of our QBs. I know most will not agree.

Fitz: He's not that bad. Bad and injured O-line made it harder for him. But the Indy game showed me he can make throws when you give him time.,

Trent: Used to be a terrific QB. His concussion messed him up. Maybe he just lost confidence. Either way the switch went "off" after the AZ game.

Brohm: No real opinion. It's stupid to judge him on the ATL game being literally thrown into an NFL game. But I thought his passes had zip.

I don't care who starts at QB as long as they get the job done.

PTR

This what I think of our QBs. I know most will not agree.

Fitz: He's not that bad. Bad and injured O-line made it harder for him. But the Indy game showed me he can make throws when you give him time.,

Trent: Used to be a terrific QB. His concussion messed him up. Maybe he just lost confidence. Either way the switch went "off" after the AZ game.

Brohm: No real opinion. It's stupid to judge him on the ATL game being literally thrown into an NFL game. But I thought his passes had zip.

I don't care who starts at QB as long as they get the job done.

PTR

+1 May the best QB win the job in a fair competition.