Nix/Whaley Thinking

The Bills sure have taken a lot of greif on NFL Network and ESPN for not addressing thier "needs" in the 2010 draft. I believe they have been doing exactly what they should. The QB's available (beyond Bradford) should not have taken where the Bills picked. I do believe CJ Spiller was the best available. Looking down the road to who might be available at QB in the draft next year, we have Jake Locker and Christian Ponder. Mr Nix and Mr Whaley have to be sharp enoough to know the Bills should be in position to get one of these guys. Here are the bottom ten teams in the NFL listed with their current QB, their chances of drafting a QB #1 and listed by their odds of reaching the Super Bowl this year. Bills fans, I think their is a franchise QB on the horizon.

Denver drafted Time Tebow 2010, not likely

Carolina have Matt Moore, drafted Jimmy Claussen, not likely

Cleveland Jake Delhomme, likely but could be better than the Bills

Detroit Matthew Stafford, not likely

Kansas City paid a ton to get Cassel, not likely

Oakland Jason Campbell, likely, but with their

defense should finish higher than the Bills

Tampa Bay Freeman, not likely

St Loius Sam Bradford, not likely

Overall, I'd say the Bills will be in position for one of the top QB's, both considered first rounders

The Bills sure have taken a lot of greif on NFL Network and ESPN for not addressing thier "needs" in the 2010 draft. I believe they have been doing exactly what they should. The QB's available (beyond Bradford) should not have taken where the Bills picked. I do believe CJ Spiller was the best available. Looking down the road to who might be available at QB in the draft next year, we have Jake Locker and Christian Ponder. Mr Nix and Mr Whaley have to be sharp enoough to know the Bills should be in position to get one of these guys. Here are the bottom ten teams in the NFL listed with their current QB, their chances of drafting a QB #1 and listed by their odds of reaching the Super Bowl this year. Bills fans, I think their is a franchise QB on the horizon.

Overall, I'd say the Bills will be in position for one of the top QB's, both considered first rounders

I agree with this thinking. Also don't forget CLE took McCoy and if he progresses he might be an option for them. I'm a huge Locker fan- I just think he LOOKS like a QB that should be playing in Buffalo (has that LB-like build that Kelly had).

I feel like the Bills are in a good position. Either A) things work out this year with one of the QBs and we (hopefully) do well, or B) we stink but get a franchise QB in the draft next year.

I'm a huge Locker fan- I just think he LOOKS like a QB that should be playing in Buffalo (has that LB-like build that Kelly had).

There's no way to overstate this. Maybe the one thing Kelly and RJ have in common is that they proved this simple point: not everyone who throws a nice spiral can play QB in Buffalo.

I agree with this thinking. Also don't forget CLE took McCoy and if he progresses he might be an option for them. I'm a huge Locker fan- I just think he LOOKS like a QB that should be playing in Buffalo (has that LB-like build that Kelly had).

I feel like the Bills are in a good position. Either A) things work out this year with one of the QBs and we (hopefully) do well, or B) we stink but get a franchise QB in the draft next year.

Now there's a thought huh? If McCoy progresses he might be an option for Cleveland next year. I'll tell you what, if McCoy progresses to the point where he's a viable option as their QB of the future as soon as next year, that will suck. It will suck because Nix could have drafted McCoy well before Cleveland ended up drafting him. And it will suck because I don't believe the Bills will be amoung the 10 worst teams in the NFL heading into next year's draft. I like the new attitude Chan Gailey and his staff has brought into One Bills Drive, the attitude that it's time to go back to work. Despite the fact the Bills sorely lack in Pro Bowl caliber talent across the board, they still won't suck enough to qualify to draft Jake Locker. They will once again finish around the 6-10 to 9-7 mark, and their games will be more competitive then they were last year, unless they need to put 23 guys on IR again. So you guys can forget about your dreams of drafting this kid, in my opinion.

remember that brian brohm was a great qb junior year and not so hot senior year..... many qbs emerge or disappear in their senior season...that being said, with the exception of ryan, rothlisberger, and a few others, qbs have a developmental period where they are not effective for the first season or two in the nfl. i dont know which free agents are going to be available next season but im sure the guys you mention in the title do.

jim kelly might have been run out of town had he started off as a Bills player, imo

remember that brian brohm was a great qb junior year and not so hot senior year..... many qbs emerge or disappear in their senior season...that being said, with the exception of ryan, rothlisberger, and a few others, qbs have a developmental period where they are not effective for the first season or two in the nfl. i dont know which free agents are going to be available next season but im sure the guys you mention in the title do.

jim kelly might have been run out of town had he started off as a Bills player, imo

First off Kelly always had 'It' period. Secondly, I agree after going back and really researching Brohm he was on fire going into his Sr year. A coaching change really hurt him IMHO.

I'll say it again, we better pray its Brohm otherwise we are screwed

IMO, Nix knows what to look for in a QB. At SD, Nix took part in drafting Drew Brees in 2001. Also, a few years later, Nix took part in drafting Eli Manning, which ultimately SD swapped out with the Giants for Phillip Rivers. Out of the 3 QB's mentioned, 2 of them have won the Superbowl. IMO, Nix didn't feel the QB's that were available in this years draft were the right one's, so he passed on them, which I can't say I blame him. Why take a QB that you don't have a ton of confidence in and possibly be stuck with him for another 3 to 4 years, then have to draft another one? We've seen this too many times since the mid-90's with the Bills: Collins, R. Johnson, Losman and now possibly T. Edwards. If Edwards, Brohm or Fitz can't get it done, then Nix will address the QB situation next year when there are better QB's in the draft.

Now there's a thought huh? If McCoy progresses he might be an option for Cleveland next year. I'll tell you what, if McCoy progresses to the point where he's a viable option as their QB of the future as soon as next year, that will suck. It will suck because Nix could have drafted McCoy well before Cleveland ended up drafting him. And it will suck because I don't believe the Bills will be amoung the 10 worst teams in the NFL heading into next year's draft. I like the new attitude Chan Gailey and his staff has brought into One Bills Drive, the attitude that it's time to go back to work. Despite the fact the Bills sorely lack in Pro Bowl caliber talent across the board, they still won't suck enough to qualify to draft Jake Locker. They will once again finish around the 6-10 to 9-7 mark, and their games will be more competitive then they were last year, unless they need to put 23 guys on IR again. So you guys can forget about your dreams of drafting this kid, in my opinion.

If your prediction becomes reality, they would still be able to get him if they want him. Just look at the Jets and Sanchez. I, for one, am not going to worry about our draft position next year right now. With any luck Brohm will win the job and play well and we won't even need to draft a qb next year.

First off Kelly always had 'It' period. Secondly, I agree after going back and really researching Brohm he was on fire going into his Sr year. A coaching change really hurt him IMHO.

I'll say it again, we better pray its Brohm otherwise we are screwed

You literally add no value to this board whatsoever.

If your prediction becomes reality, they would still be able to get him if they want him. Just look at the Jets and Sanchez. I, for one, am not going to worry about our draft position next year right now. With any luck Brohm will win the job and play well and we won't even need to draft a qb next year.

:rolleyes:

Great point! Brohm was a second round pick and was highly thought of coming out of Louisville. I am really rooting for the kid to beat out Trent and Fitzy and start this whole season. Drew Brees was a second round pick, and he has turned out pretty well, don't you think??

If we have a chance of getting Locker next year, that will mean that the 9 months between now and then will SUCK. Luckily, there are two handfuls of very talented QBs coming out next year. Locker's just the best known of a terrific class of QBs.

Tough choice: 9 sucky months and Jake Locker or 9 better (than sucky) months and a very good QB later on in round one . . .

:rolleyes::nana: :nana:

I've been a supporter of Nix and Gailey since they came in and it's because I respect their moves to date - I can see their logic in what they've done. They knew to do it right it would take a few years to rebuild, although they also knew they had a very young team with some talent. So, where to add talent and when? If they tried to fix both sides of the ball this year they'd of fallen short on both sides, I think. Instead they fix the run game on defense. By adding Edwards, Troupe, Carrington, Moats, Coleman, Batten, Davis, and Torber, and getting back Mitchell, the Bills will have all the guys they need to put together really nice packages on Defense. I think we'll be hard to run on and to pass on. Our secondary is so talented as it is - now we'll have teams scrambling to find ways to go the distance against us.

For year one, getting Spiller, they now have every kind of talent at their disposal at RB, and teams can win in the NFL - and especially in cold weather towns - by running and stopping the run. The offense will be proving themselves this year - especially QB, WR, and some of the O-line - but, at least we'll know what we have going into next year. And, even if we do have to get a QB, a Tackle, and a WR - that isn't too much to ask out of a draft and a F.A. period. They could trade up and get their QB, grab a F.A. tackle, and pick up a wideout in F.A., too, and have a very well rounded team.

You've got to appreciate Nix when he says they didn't want to draft a guy - spend the money and the pick on a player who might not be better than what they already have - i.e. McCoy or Clausen - it'll only compound the problem because you'll still have to spend another pick on fixing it, and you'll have wasted the opportunity elsewhere. So, these guys drafted guys they were fairly certain would contribute to the team as upgrades - and I think they got starters as far down as the Batten and Moats picks - which will end up being a very strong draft for Nix in his first year here.

It's a two year rebuilding project. I see what they're doing - they'll fix the offense next year. Very similar to what Miami did not long ago - and I think our team will be similarly competitive right out of the gates this year - it's about time!!!

i fully support chanbud and i really like the way they are approaching this rebuild. i like the attitude, the accountability, the professionalism, and commitment. i love that they added whaley and i think they have the collective knowhow to build a winner

still, that just aint gonna happen this season. this team is gonna suck pretty bad for at least half the season as guys figure out the all new systems and how to work as a unit. it will be ugly far more often than its pretty and they wont have any idea how to close the deal when they happen to be leading going into the fourth

four wins

i fully support chanbud and i really like the way they are approaching this rebuild. i like the attitude, the accountability, the professionalism, and commitment. i love that they added whaley and i think they have the collective knowhow to build a winner

still, that just aint gonna happen this season. this team is gonna suck pretty bad for at least half the season as guys figure out the all new systems and how to work as a unit. it will be ugly far more often than its pretty and they wont have any idea how to close the deal when they happen to be leading going into the fourth

four wins

In all sincerity, what a really nice, well-stated, negative post (hint: it's only negative because of the 4-win prediction).

This post has more depth and thoughtfulness than most of the glass-half-empty crowd could ever muster in a lifetime of posting on this board.

Thank you, Meathead. It's great to see a thought with a little complexity. Even if I didn't like the ending.

In all sincerity, what a really nice, well-stated, negative post (hint: it's only negative because of the 4-win prediction).

This post has more depth and thoughtfulness than most of the glass-half-empty crowd could ever muster in a lifetime of posting on this board.

Thank you, Meathead. It's great to see a thought with a little complexity. Even if I didn't like the ending.

For me it is all about the ending....I am not willing to sit back and accept a 4 win season no matter how you "candy coat" it.

That is my "micro" outlook...

Here is where I am a little confused.

Sum it up they neglected need in the first round and picked the BPA and then in the 2nd round they picked a player by need over the BPA.

Did same thing with Easley in the 4th and Wang in the 5th...Picked for need instead of BPA.

Am I missing something...To this day, I still don't understand the logic/philosophy behind this years draft? Good thing is I don't have too.