Sabres sign Rob Niedermayer

tomdayfan

I kinda liked it...until I saw his stats. :censored: For what it's worth, he does bring some leadership.

I watched him play with the Devils last season and I can tell you he is the epitome of a third or fourth line center. He plays very solid defensively and can help kill penalties. He is kinda limited offensively but I don't think the guy is one you count on for offense. He is just a vet center who can pass OK and play D really well.

Unfortunately, they also resigned Lalime as a backup goalie, so automatically pencil in 8-10 games in the loss column.

I blame that on Ruff, any of the backups in the past have been worse. Conklin for exapmle went on to be very successful in Pitt. I put that on the coaching staff for not managin that better. .

that is a Buffalo Bills type signing

For the Bills maybe, but for the Sabres this is very uncharacteristic of them to bring in a veteran player (35 is not that old) with grit and tons of experience in big games. This is the type of deal that good teams make at the trade deadline, like acquiring a Bill Guerin or Mark Recchi type player. This definitely isn't the missing piece for the Sabres, but it's solid signing. Looks like they are at least making an effort to get a little tougher...

I blame that on Ruff, any of the backups in the past have been worse. Conklin for exapmle went on to be very successful in Pitt. I put that on the coaching staff for not managin that better. .

Conklin isn't even worth mentioning. He was here for a month's worth of regular season hockey, not nearly long enough to know what, if any impact the organization had on him.

For the Bills maybe, but for the Sabres this is very uncharacteristic of them to bring in a veteran player (35 is not that old) with grit and tons of experience in big games. This is the type of deal that good teams make at the trade deadline, like acquiring a Bill Guerin or Mark Recchi type player. This definitely isn't the missing piece for the Sabres, but it's solid signing. Looks like they are at least making an effort to get a little tougher...

Yeah, a lot of people are just impossible to please. Everybody complains that the team doesn't have enough grit, so the organization brings in a gritty veteran and the same people complain that he's not a goal scorer.

Yeah, a lot of people are just impossible to please. Everybody complains that the team doesn't have enough grit, so the organization brings in a gritty veteran and the same people complain that he's not a goal scorer.

I think the reason people are upset is that the free agency period thus far indicates that the Sabres believe that their core group is good enough. The Connolly/Stafford/Pominville ship has sailed for most Sabres fans. The sample size is large enough now that we know what they are...Yet Darcy seems to continue with the "internal improvement" model that in his mind has Gaustad scoring 26 goals, and Connolly racking up 105 points.

This management group wasted one elite goalie's prime. Hasek was an introvert and a dick, but can you blame him for wanting out of the Derek Plante-era Sabres? Ryan Miller is 30, and the Sabres aren't a gritty 4th-liner away from winning the Cup. A little urgency would be welcome, but that's asking a lot of Darcy.

I appreciate that they're trying to add some missing ingredients, and I appreciate that the team gives an honest effort almost every night. But the stars shine in the playoffs. Perhaps Vanek's absence vs. Boston made the ineptness of Connolly/Roy/Stafford/Pommer more noticeable. Perhaps. But then again, at times Vanek is a guy who fits right into that group of having a Houdini tendencies.

They were a very good team when Miller was great. When Miller was average, they were nothing special. The vibe of the whole season from the fans was trying to figure out exactly what this team was. They won a division, which is cause for a celebration, as that is not a regular occurance. But they also never TRULY felt like a contender.

Who knows, perhaps Darcy tried to bundle some of the dead weight together and make some trades when Chicago had their fire sale, and the interest was minimal. It's certainly possible.