interesting stat about last years team

The bills were leading or tied going into the fourth quarter 14 out of 16 games last year, IMO that's pretty good, that means they were in position to win almost every game. I'm not saying they should of gone 14 and 2 but I'm wondering how many games do you think were lost because of poor coaching and how do the bills do last year if they have this years coaching staff?

EDIT:

ACTUALLY

That stat is wrong.

So here are the real stats;

In 7/16 we were winning entering the 4th quarter.

In 10/16 we were winning or tied entering the 4th quarter. (not 14/16 to the original poster)

In 11/16 we were winning, tied, or with 3 entering the 4th quarter.

In 13/16 we were winning, tied, or within 7 entering the 4th quarter.

So basically, we were only out of 3 games by the 4th quarter. Not too shabby.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That stat says a lot, good job.

We lost because our small players couldnt hold up against the run and we couldnt pound the ball. Fewer injuries at linebacker and a deeper defensive line might have made the difference, as well as bigger players. I think the main reason was coaching. We did not play a run-stopping defense when other teams ran.

The Giants put in two extra tackles and finished the game with 13 runs in a row against us and won the game. After 11 straight runs, Jauron finally changed the base 4-3 and put in an extra lineman. Lining up Donte Whitner in front of an offensive tackle is pure insanity.

Jauron was stubborn, doctrinal, and totally inept in some ways, but that statistic, 14 out of 16 games, shows he did a lot of things right.

I dont think it would have been too much to expect for a GM to step in and address a problem a coach isnt, when the problem has persisted for so long and is so obvious.

Teams coached by Bill Cowher and Joe Gibbs were 150-0 when going into the fourth quarter with a lead and more than 100 rushing yards.

Actually, the Bills were down by 3 points or fewer going into 11 of the 16 games last season. And one in which they were down by more (7 points, against Miami), they won in the 4th quarter.

Considering the entire team was gased by the 4th quarter it makes sense. The offense couldn't stay on the field and the defense eventually wore out. It also doesn't help that Jauron never had his team in shape.

The bills were leading or tied going into the fourth quarter 14 out of 16 games last year, IMO that's pretty good, that means they were in position to win almost every game. I'm not saying they should of gone 14 and 2 but I'm wondering how many games do you think were lost because of poor coaching and how do the bills do last year if they have this years coaching staff?

People blame coaches and conditioning for the poor fourth quarter results. I think tougher football players, one that can't stand to lose are whats is needed to bring this team around. Hopefully Nix can start to fill the roster with guys that don't accept losing.

Recall the season opener in New England last year. I don't think the final outcome surprised too many players on either sideline.

Considering the entire team was gased by the 4th quarter it makes sense. The offense couldn't stay on the field and the defense eventually wore out. It also doesn't help that Jauron never had his team in shape.

What makes you say they were out of shape?

And this is the answer to all of the naysayers.

They have been mediocre for a number of reasons. Frequent injuries and playing in an offense w/no identity, and a defense built to small at the point of attack, IMO, all add up to not being able to hold up in the 4th.

Changing coaches, getting an offensive ID, bulking up the D, and finally getting a real strength program all should help turn those 4th quarter L's into W's.

True, dat.

Or get pounded because lack of size/skill on the offensive/defensive lines

if that were the case, they would have been stomped in a lot more games. Club Dick was a soft club that coddled its members. This resulted in said members being very flaccid. If Club Dick was difficult and hard, the members would have been erect in the 4th quarter instead of being hurt and nursed by trainers. So in summary, soft Club Dick led to members that had no endurance and drooping over, when they weren't ending the night with an injury. Lets hope these members stay erected and tough for 4 quarters, especially Wood, Levitre, and Wang.

if that were the case, they would have been stomped in a lot more games. Club Dick was a soft club that coddled its members. This resulted in said members being very flaccid. If Club Dick was difficult and hard, the members would have been erect in the 4th quarter instead of being hurt and nursed by trainers. So in summary, soft Club Dick led to members that had no endurance and drooping over, when they weren't ending the night with an injury. Lets hope these members stay erected and tough for 4 quarters, especially Wood, Levitre, and Wang.

Ok, and Club Levy and Club Wade had horrible results.....right......

Wood and Levitre are second year players, while Wang hasn't played a single down. We don't have an offensive tackle on the roster

One of my biggest questions is will the newfangled D be able to keep it that close this year as Perry's D did last year? Would be a kick in the shorts if our O could now score, but our D couldn't stop anyone and we lose like 35-31 every week.

What makes you say they were out of shape?

It's an observation on my part. Walking off the field or walking into a huddle. Hands on knees etc.... Langston Walker was let go because he couldn't keep up with the no huddle offense.

You can add in the injury problem. When you get tired your muscles tire out as well. Since the musceles in your limbs are a major part of it's protection people get injuried.

There were also alot of games last year where RB's put up an insane amount of yards against the defense especially in the 2nd half. This is due to the defense running out of gas and getting pushed around. Most of the big running plays against the bills were right up the middle. It's my opinion that you get big strong DLineman at the point of attack with strong physical LB's filling the gaps. by doing this you force the RB's to the outside where a big play is less likely to occur. You then also force a RB into the arms of a DB who may have the speed to match a RB. Offensive coordinators love to try to exploit the middle of the field.

The defense was also way to small last year. i have never been a fan of the small quick players. I don't like seeing LB's getting stood up by RB's. The bills also had a alot of players switch positions because their body size didn't translate to their college Position in the NFL.

The combination of "playing not to lose" and inadequate conditioning results in 4th quarter meltdowns. That said, this is an impressive statistic. It says that the Bills have the core talent to compete with nearly anyone in this league. Now, they need to learn to go for the kill -- play to WIN instead of not to lose and maintain a physical and mental intensity that comes from training hard.

FAIL.

Besides the fact that you're 100% WRONG on your stat (The real number is something like 10-12 out of 16...I got bored looking at boxscores after I found 4)...

the Bills did have a few epic meltdowns last year. That speaks more to me about poor leadership and lack of toughness than anything else. Good teams don't quit like that. And neither do tough ones.

To me, that stat (if accurate) means we are NOT totally devoid of talent.

I've often argued a similar point which is this: Either Jauron was a great coach in keeping it so close with such mediocre talent, or we actually had some decent players with lousy coaches.

Obviously, it's probably somewhere in between, but I don't think anyone here would argue that DJ was a great coach (aside from perhaps Belichick who once was quoted as saying DJ should be coach of the year, but I've always felt that was BB secretly hoping such accoldaes would keep DJ firmly planted as the Bills Coach :thumbsup: ) so it stands to reason that a much better coach (hint: not slightly better) should be able to get a lot out of this group.

It at least gives me hope as a Bills fan that if Gailey is a much better coach, and Nix drafts well, we should see an improved product going forward.

One of my biggest questions is will the newfangled D be able to keep it that close this year as Perry's D did last year? Would be a kick in the shorts if our O could now score, but our D couldn't stop anyone and we lose like 35-31 every week.

exackry what im predicting

around 16th overall in offense but bottom fifth in rushing d and when your rushing d is that bad your whole d is bad

so rules judge mh so it shall be