Does annybody know what ever happened to.............

Paul McGuire, I haven't seen him on any broadcast NFL or other for like 5 years or so. In my opinion, he was one of the best color guys on tv, and funny as hell too. Just wonderin, maybe he retired, was the odd man out, or something else

happened. He seemed to be in the clique so to speak, and then he was gone. I was at training camp once at Fredonia with my brother, and Paul had a flat tire on his car, we sat there and BS'd with him for about a half an hour, super nice guy, very unpretentious and approachable. Where did he go?

hopefully he is enjoying retirement and having a great time. i know ive seen him on tv more recently than 5 years ago, i think he was doing a college game. but youre right, he's not part of the prime time football broadcasts anymore, and he's definitely missed.

hopefully he is enjoying retirement and having a great time. i know ive seen him on tv more recently than 5 years ago, i think he was doing a college game. but youre right, he's not part of the prime time football broadcasts anymore, and he's definitely missed.

Now that I think about it, I belive that you are right, he might be doing college now. Love the dude.

I always liked Maguire too. I think his pairing with Joe Theisman on ESPN made a lot of people dislike him...guilt by association I guess. I know Maguire was doing college games for ESPN in 2008...if I am not mistaken, he only did UFL games in 2009. It's a shame...the color guys on most Sunday afternoon games on CBS and FOX are just bland and generic...hard to believe there isn't a place for Maguire on an NFL broadcast team.

I always liked Maguire too. I think his pairing with Joe Theisman on ESPN made a lot of people dislike him...guilt by association I guess. I know Maguire was doing college games for ESPN in 2008...if I am not mistaken, he only did UFL games in 2009. It's a shame...the color guys on most Sunday afternoon games on CBS and FOX are just bland and generic...hard to believe there isn't a place for Maguire on an NFL broadcast team.

He is now broadcasting games for the new United Football League on HDNet, a cable network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Maguire

Heh - anybody remember his and Sestak's restaurant on Elmwood in Kenmore? It was a somewhat popular "love nest" for marrieds on the hunt or run in the evenings for a while. :thumbsup:

Heading north up Elmwood was the "Penalty Shot." IIRC, the original ownership was Schoenfeld and Spencer. It turned into a skull-pop place.

I haven't visited WNY for 9 years now. But even back then, I got the impression that Kenmore viewed a drinking man as a profit opportunity to be halted and have one's wallet emptied. If I ever visit the area again, there is no Kenmore business that will ever see a dime of my money.

I didn't know that, thanks, and thanks to the previous poster as well.

I believe he moved to South Carolina. There were a lot of people who were not enamored with his broadcasting. I always liked him. He treated the sport as entertainment and not life and death. His laughter, or I should say cackle, was pure Maguire. He was of the old school who never became comfortable with the showboating going on on the field.

i swear the dude was always drunk on the air. one time during a college game they had a shot of the sideline and you could see him drinking from a red party cup. that said, i think he was funny and enjoyed his commentary

I always enjoyed games that Paul did. When he had a heart attack at Lakeshore in the late 80s, my cousin was working as a waitress there. She he was alway very friendly to the staff, had no airs about him and was a fairly generous tipper.

I like listening to him broadcast games. I remember him doing a KC Chiefs game one time and they had a D-lineman named Sims who could NOT stay on sides if his life depended on it. I mean he could have known the snap count and he still would have jumped off sides. After about his third or fourth infraction in the first half, Paul in a totally disgusted tone says "Awwwwwwww Sims!!!" as if he's a coach or something. My son and I both laughed pretty good at that one and to this day when someone is having a case of the "jumpsies" one of will let out a "awwwww Sims." :thumbsup:

Paul is much better than the cookie cutter garbage that spews on the air these days. He had the longest running sports show on cable for a quite a time. He parlayed The Paul Maguire Show into College Football and then the NFL. He was always pretty honest in his assessment of the play. And he could hammer the drinks with the best of them in his day. I am sick of today's sportscasters kowtowing to the NFL. They never call out garbage like Vick or Pig Ben. I completely despise Al Michaels. No one sucks up to the big players like Al. Pig Ben could have raped a 12 year old boy or girl and Al would not say a negative word about his hero Ben....Al makes me vomit as much as Pig Ben.

Heh - anybody remember his and Sestak's restaurant on Elmwood in Kenmore? It was a somewhat popular "love nest" for marrieds on the hunt or run in the evenings for a while. :P

Heading north up Elmwood was the "Penalty Shot." IIRC, the original ownership was Schoenfeld and Spencer. It turned into a skull-pop place.

I haven't visited WNY for 9 years now. But even back then, I got the impression that Kenmore viewed a drinking man as a profit opportunity to be halted and have one's wallet emptied. If I ever visit the area again, there is no Kenmore business that will ever see a dime of my money.

Stuck, what the hell are you talking about, or better, "what you talking bout Willis?"

I grew up in Kenmore, and while I also lived in Cheektowaga, Depew, Tonawanda, etc., Kenmore was my town/village of residence during most of my 30 years in Buffalo. Enlighten me.....

Their DWI (DUI for non-Buffalonians) record may be impressive but no more so than most places. Heck, one of the biggest drunks in Kenmore back in the mid-80's was a Kenmore Cop. His name was "Kir..." never mind. If you know Kenmore, you know who I just started to mention.

Care to look at Ohio with the same skeptical eye? I also lived in Dayton, OH, where DUI road blocks were darned near a weekly thing.

He was making a fool of himself doing college games the last few years. He should have retired years ago. He was the only one of the three ESPN broadcasters that had a clue and that aint saying much. The ESPN Sunday night threesome was one of the worst annoucing booths of all time.

I certainly do not miss him saying "let me tell you something" about a hundred times a game, but even that was more tolerable than anything Theisman said.

Paul McGuire, I haven't seen him on any broadcast NFL or other for like 5 years or so. In my opinion, he was one of the best color guys on tv, and funny as hell too. Just wonderin, maybe he retired, was the odd man out, or something else

happened. He seemed to be in the clique so to speak, and then he was gone. I was at training camp once at Fredonia with my brother, and Paul had a flat tire on his car, we sat there and BS'd with him for about a half an hour, super nice guy, very unpretentious and approachable. Where did he go?

Not sure where he went but he was the lead play by play man for the recent College World Series in Omaha

Nebraska on the ESPN network.

Saw him at the Bills 50th Anni party last year. He looked to be in good health and enjoying himself. The 'quirkiness' many here have alluded to, cost him his job as our punter when the 'Rauch Hurricane' swept into town. For many years after, he held most of the teams' punting records. Also played LB and layed the key block on Butch Byrd's PR TD in the '65 title game.

He was a member of the Silver Anni team in '85, but replaced by Moorman in the 50th Anni team.

Live long & Prosper, Paul!

You don't like Solomon Wilcots announcing Beews games? :P