Rumors: Troy Smith... as the Bills' starter- ESPN Insider

Oh he was trolling for some hits. Even trolls come up with a good sounding board for ideas sometimes. I would LOVE IT if there were some actual substantive news regarding Troy Smith potentially coming to Buffalo. There are a handful of "back up" QBs in this league that I would love to see get the chance to start. Troy Smith "is" and Kolb "was" amongst them.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All it trumps is that he got his start DUE TO THE TROY SMITH ILLNESS. The silly point we are arguing is that Troy although technically unproven DID do well enough to earn the starting job in Baltimore over Boller AND Flacco. Soooooo the reasoning is why not bring him in to Buffalo to compete. Insert standard statement about the crap we currently have at QB. More competition at QB couldn't hurt could it? We have seen what the last few years have yielded shying away from anyone that could even remotely outplay Trent for the job. That being said Fitz AND Brohm both outplayed Trent.

It's time for some REAL competition at the position.

His NFL stats to date - not so shining...

http://www.nfl.com/players/troysmith/profile?id=SMI764846

Smith was a 5th round pick by BAL in '07.

But, yes, if he came on the cheap for a look-see, why not? It can't hurt. I wouldn't talk about being a starter - unless he somehow shows he is loaded with talent yet undiscovered after 3 years' league service. You never know, though.

He was a fine qb in a college program that is always loaded and re-stocked with the best of high school players. AFAIK, a decent young man.

His NFL stats to date - not so shining...

http://www.nfl.com/players/troysmith/profile?id=SMI764846

Smith was a 5th round pick by BAL in '07.

But, yes, if he came on the cheap for a look-see, why not? It can't hurt. I wouldn't talk about being a starter - unless he somehow shows he is loaded with talent yet undiscovered after 3 years' league service. You never know, though.

He was a fine qb in a college program that is always loaded and re-stocked with the best of high school players. AFAIK, a decent young man.

I think you missed the part about "unproven" but yes. It can't hurt to bring him in to complete. Could probably get him for pennies. In theory no QB should ever be "given" the starting job unless it is Manning, Brees, Rogers or Farve. Again Troy Smith was good enough to effectively beat out Boller and Flacco but got sick so I would take comfort in that accomplishment as a very good sign that he could come in here and compete with if not best our current crop of QBs.

As you state he was a 5th round pick. What would it really take to get the guy? I think we could get enough money together passing a tin can around the office. I looked at his WRs in college and the name that stuck out was Ted Ginn Jr. Doesn't sound like a lot to work with to me.

I think you missed the part about "unproven" but yes. It can't hurt to bring him in to complete. Could probably get him for pennies. In theory no QB should ever be "given" the starting job unless it is Manning, Brees, Rogers or Farve. Again Troy Smith was good enough to effectively beat out Boller and Flacco but got sick so I would take comfort in that accomplishment as a very good sign that he could come in here and compete with if not best our current crop of QBs.

As you state he was a 5th round pick. What would it really take to get the guy? I think we could get enough money together passing a tin can around the office. I looked at his WRs in college and the name that stuck out was Ted Ginn Jr. Doesn't sound like a lot to work with to me.

IND's #1 wr Anthony Gonzales comes to mind.

I live in SW Ohio, so see a lot of OSU football. They are stocked with top OL, DL, LB, DB, etc. Forever.

Smith was a fine college qb. With a great supporting cast.

As I mentioned above - if available, bring him in for a tryout.

IND's #1 wr Anthony Gonzales comes to mind.

I live in SW Ohio, so see a lot of OSU football. They are stocked with top OL, DL, LB, DB, etc. Forever.

Smith was a fine college qb. With a great supporting cast.

As I mentioned above - if available, bring him in for a tryout.

As guess I would say of Gonazlez I haven't seen him do anything yet. I'll take your word for it if you think he has great potential but being buried on the depth chart and injuries also makes it hard to tell if he is worth anything. Peyton seems to like him though.

If I am wrong on technicality so be it. Preseason game 3 starter, IS AS YOU KNOW IF YOU WATCH FOOTBALL, the guy who will be the week 1 starter. So, again, if I don't remember correctly and it was JUST as the preseason week 3 starter, I'll give you your point on a technicality. I will also use my football smarts and I understand that that equals regular season starter. Preseason game 3 is THE only important game of preseason as the starters play through the half and give way to the backups in the 3rd quarter.

OH, and the actual relevant part is that he would likely immediately become our best QB and at the very LEAST would challenge the collection of fodder we currently have on the roster :thumbsup: But, I guess you are afraid that if we brought him in he might actually BEAT OUT your boy Trent. Well Mr lover of mediocrity I would rather see more competition at EVERY position with perhaps the exception of CB seeing as how we find diamonds in the rough and draft 1st round CBs every 3rd year.

:thumbsup:

So much pathology in one post!

Anyway, for maybe the fourth time---Troy had one start in game 2 preseason. He was SO BAD, they yanked him before the half. Then, before giving up on him and settling on Boller or Flacco, they decided to give Smith one more try and decided to let him start another preseason game (3).

This is what actually happened. On your planet, it occured differently, apparently, and I can respect that.

From the where there's smoke there's fire possibility:

PFW's latest issue is out. The Bills are picked 32nd in the rankings. The words after the rating say "There's a slim chance the starting QB isn't on the roster yet." So how should one interpret that with the ESPN story? My guess: It's probably no secret among the media types that Gailey doesn't think much of any of the 3 QBs. That's why the battle has been described as very close. They're all bums & Gailey knows it. Close in this case means he's scared to death of the thought of trying to win games with any one of them at QB. As a result, any time there is the possibility of a QB that "they've heard of" becoming available for little or nothing, the media is going to speculate his acquisition by the Buffalo Bills.

Either that or the media, not Gailey, has such a low opinion of the 3 or 4 if you include Brown, who is apparently not going to contend for the starting job, that any time there is the possibility of a QB that "they've heard of" becoming available for little or nothing, someone will write a story he's headed to Buffalo.

If I were Buddy Nix I'd pick up 2 QB's either FA's or a trade or whatever means necessary and hope that at least one of them pans out! I'd also cut, trade, or do whatever it takes right afterward by getting rid of Trent Edwards and Fitzpatrick!

I'm just so done with the both of them, but I doubt the organization will do that. I see a long, losing 5-11 or worse year, that the coaches give these 2 QB's every opportunity to prove themseleves all so we can hear them say at the end of the season that we now know through the process of the season that we need to pursue a franchise QB. I'd like to skip that whole process and just do it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All it trumps is that he got his start DUE TO THE TROY SMITH ILLNESS. The silly point we are arguing is that Troy although technically unproven DID do well enough to earn the starting job in Baltimore over Boller AND Flacco.

There's so much wrong information and revisionist history floating around this thread, it's just sad.

Smith did not beat out Boller, Boller suffered what turned out to be a season ending injury in the 2nd exhibition game of the preseason. That's why Smith was supposed to start exhibition game 3-Boller couldn't play. However, Smith did not start or even play in exhibition game 3 due to his illness. The only QB to play preseason game 3 for Baltimore was Flacco. So if the game 3 starter starts the season, Flacco was the man, not Smith. The only reason Smith was the presumed starter was because Baltimore wanted to bring Flacco along slower than starting him on opening day. Once Boller got hurt and couldn't play, Smith was the only one other than Flacco left to choose as a starter. Once Smith got sick, Harbaugh didn't have much choice other than to start Flacco. For the final preseason game, Baltimore picked up Casey Bramlet off the waiver wire & he split time with Flacco. Bramlet was waived after that game and before the 1st week of the season Baltimore gave up on Boller getting better, put Boller on IR & signed Todd Bouman to be Flacco's backup for the season opener.

...the Ravens. I really don't like 'em. They do such an outstanding job at evaluating talent, both collegiately and professionally, that they're stacked at most positions, and they can sit on players that might be good enough to start on other teams and wait for good offers to come in, or just not deal them if they don't get a good enough offer. That is, in my opinion, one of the best teams in the NFL, and looking to be good for a long time.

But, as for Smith - either the Ravens have been planning on moving him, and have had offers, or he isn't that good. The aging Bulger might be better suited for second string/mentor - not causing friction - but, his skills have declined enough to have left him available when a good number of teams are in need of starting calibre QB's.

When I look at our roster, I'm at a loss with the O-line and QB situation. My mind always comes back to us just letting our guys play this year in order to know how good they are. Our G.M. and coach will never have another season to do that with players. That kind of implies that they're willing to suffer through a bad season without making upgrades - or, it's a matter of them not thinking there are legitimate upgrades out there. McNiell and Gaither are available, and N.O. shipped their LT for what - a 4th? - so, we better see some good play from that unit this season. But as for QB's - I can't really think of any that inspire me, and I can see why they'd wait till next season to draft a really good one.

I'm braced for a long season - as much as I think we'll be competitive, have a solid defense and good running game - it's probably not unrealistic to say the difference, in our case, between a five win season and an eleven win season could be two players.

Ending on a bright note - what Miami did a few years ago was done without a great QB, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

...the Ravens. I really don't like 'em. They do such an outstanding job at evaluating talent, both collegiately and professionally, that they're stacked at most positions, and they can sit on players that might be good enough to start on other teams and wait for good offers to come in, or just not deal them if they don't get a good enough offer. That is, in my opinion, one of the best teams in the NFL, and looking to be good for a long time.

But, as for Smith - either the Ravens have been planning on moving him, and have had offers, or he isn't that good. The aging Bulger might be better suited for second string/mentor - not causing friction - but, his skills have declined enough to have left him available when a good number of teams are in need of starting calibre QB's.

When I look at our roster, I'm at a loss with the O-line and QB situation. My mind always comes back to us just letting our guys play this year in order to know how good they are. Our G.M. and coach will never have another season to do that with players. That kind of implies that they're willing to suffer through a bad season without making upgrades - or, it's a matter of them not thinking there are legitimate upgrades out there. McNiell and Gaither are available, and N.O. shipped their LT for what - a 4th? - so, we better see some good play from that unit this season. But as for QB's - I can't really think of any that inspire me, and I can see why they'd wait till next season to draft a really good one.

I'm braced for a long season - as much as I think we'll be competitive, have a solid defense and good running game - it's probably not unrealistic to say the difference, in our case, between a five win season and an eleven win season could be two players.

Ending on a bright note - what Miami did a few years ago was done without a great QB, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I agree with just about everything you've said. Three years after each draft, look at the Ravens picks vs the Bills & you can't help but get a case of "draft envy". One more comment: 2008 Chad Pennington was light years better any of the bums we have on our QB depth chart.

I don't know.

Why is somebody else's 3rd stringer now somehow our starter?

What has Troy Smith done since coming to the NFL? What, his upside is supposedly better than what we have on the roster right now?

No, if we need to make a trade it should be for a starting caliber LT.

I think veteran Jeff Garcia would have been an amazing signing, because despite his age and the debacle in Cleveland, he has lit it up wherever he has played. We could sign him for a 2 year deal, and draft the real QB of the future in the next draft.

I really don't see Troy Smith doing anything to bolster our QB ranks.

Because he's better than our starter (whoever it may be). and what has he done since being in the NFL...? The same thing everyone of our current roster QB's have done - Absolutely Nothing....but there's more upside with his mobility.

Chan could get more out of Troy Smith than he could any of our current 4. Bring him in. What do we have to lose?

A few points that haven't been raised:

If you (major, and by implication, PDaDdy) argue that Chan can "get more out of Troy Smith," then you probably have to concede that Chan is also qualified to evaluate Troy Smith. If Chan is not willing to give anything up for Troy Smith in a trade, then that says it all as far as how Chan feels about Smith.

Secondly we're being a bit murky about the circumstances surrounding (hypothetically) bringing in Troy Smith.

Obviously if he's released, then what harm is there in bringing him in for a tryout?

BUT, for those who want to trade for Smith, what round draft pick are you willing to give up for him?

Finally, to answer the question, "what do we have to lose?" we have a lot to lose.

The Bills, between minicamps and OTAs have had 23 days of workouts. On some of those days, they've practiced twice. In between those practices they've been in meetings, evaluating videos of practice, working out together, and many of the players have undoubtedly been studying the playbook.

Now some of you want to bring in a guy who may or may not be better than what we have, so that person can take snaps away from the guys who've been working their asses off for two months?

According to what we know, the offense has already been installed. According to Coach Gailey, training camp will consist of review and development of the foundation already laid in OTAs and minicamps.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Troy Smith (after he's cut) and giving him a tryout. If he shows promise, sign him and jettison one of the other guys.

But trading for Smith and letting him compete for the opening day job after he's missed more than half the offseason is a lose-lose situation for all the quarterbacks. There are only so many snaps to go around. Most of those snaps have already been invested.

A few points that haven't been raised:

If you (major, and by implication, PDaDdy) argue that Chan can "get more out of Troy Smith," then you probably have to concede that Chan is also qualified to evaluate Troy Smith. If Chan is not willing to give anything up for Troy Smith in a trade, then that says it all as far as how Chan feels about Smith.

Secondly we're being a bit murky about the circumstances surrounding (hypothetically) bringing in Troy Smith.

Obviously if he's released, then what harm is there in bringing him in for a tryout?

BUT, for those who want to trade for Smith, what round draft pick are you willing to give up for him?

Finally, to answer the question, "what do we have to lose?" we have a lot to lose.

The Bills, between minicamps and OTAs have had 23 days of workouts. On some of those days, they've practiced twice. In between those practices they've been in meetings, evaluating videos of practice, working out together, and many of the players have undoubtedly been studying the playbook.

Now some of you want to bring in a guy who may or may not be better than what we have, so that person can take snaps away from the guys who've been working their asses off for two months?

According to what we know, the offense has already been installed. According to Coach Gailey, training camp will consist of review and development of the foundation already laid in OTAs and minicamps.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Troy Smith (after he's cut) and giving him a tryout. If he shows promise, sign him and jettison one of the other guys.

But trading for Smith and letting him compete for the opening day job after he's missed more than half the offseason is a lose-lose situation for all the quarterbacks. There are only so many snaps to go around. Most of those snaps have already been invested.

Sorry, there's no room for this sort of rational thought here. Either you hate-hate-hate Edwards and he's a kitty who can't throw it deep and you want to package Lynch-second day draft pick-Whitner for Troy Smith...and of course, Gaither, or Brian Brohm's utter lack of productivity in the pros is irrelevant since you heard his name in college once or twice and he will undoubtedly lead us to the promised land. No in-betweens.

big deal Troy Smith was named the starter in Baltimore.

there is a long history of quarterbacks who have been named starters and never done much.

just look here in Buffalo.

that's not to say that Troy Smith is a bad quarterback, he's merely unproven. and Pdaddy's obsession here is a little much, i think.

the key, i think, is Troy Smith is no longer the starter in Baltimore, and the Ravens, i would guess, are happy with that scenario given the fact that they've actually found a bona fide starter capable of getting them to the playoffs.

Troy Smith cannot lay claim to that fact because he is unproven.

jw

big deal Troy Smith was named the starter in Baltimore.

there is a long history of quarterbacks who have been named starters and never done much.

just look here in Buffalo.

that's not to say that Troy Smith is a bad quarterback, he's merely unproven. and Pdaddy's obsession here is a little much, i think.

the key, i think, is Troy Smith is no longer the starter in Baltimore, and the Ravens, i would guess, are happy with that scenario given the fact that they've actually found a bona fide starter capable of getting them to the playoffs.

Troy Smith cannot lay claim to that fact because he is unproven.

jw

At the time he got sick, his own caoches were not yet convinced that he was any better than Kyle Boller. Luckily for the Ravens, Flacco relieved them of the need to what would have been the opposite of "Sophie's choice".

There's so much wrong information and revisionist history floating around this thread, it's just sad.

Smith did not beat out Boller, Boller suffered what turned out to be a season ending injury in the 2nd exhibition game of the preseason. That's why Smith was supposed to start exhibition game 3-Boller couldn't play. However, Smith did not start or even play in exhibition game 3 due to his illness. The only QB to play preseason game 3 for Baltimore was Flacco. So if the game 3 starter starts the season, Flacco was the man, not Smith. The only reason Smith was the presumed starter was because Baltimore wanted to bring Flacco along slower than starting him on opening day. Once Boller got hurt and couldn't play, Smith was the only one other than Flacco left to choose as a starter. Once Smith got sick, Harbaugh didn't have much choice other than to start Flacco. For the final preseason game, Baltimore picked up Casey Bramlet off the waiver wire & he split time with Flacco. Bramlet was waived after that game and before the 1st week of the season Baltimore gave up on Boller getting better, put Boller on IR & signed Todd Bouman to be Flacco's backup for the season opener.

So as you say Smith got the start because Boller couldn't go. Flacco got the start because Smith couldn't go. Fair enough?