List of whipping boys we should have kept

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true on the Pat Williams front. There was a very vocal group of popular kids here on the Wall who had it out for Pat Williams...some still post here regularly, one hasn't been heard from in years...but the Pat Williams hatred was pretty strong. Most were of the variety who were trying to show their blind allegence to the Bills hiring of Gregg Williams, who was famously quoted, at that time as saying "I don't want any fat guys on my team." They started purusing the stats, and had decided that Willams playing time had been cut signiticantly, under Williams. They concluded that it was because Williams couldn't play anymore. It never dawned on them, Gregg Williams just couldn't coach...

Really? I don't remember that at all...

Who in their right mind could hate on Fat Pat? I mean...I know he would take the occasional down off...But who wouldn't at that size? Big Teddy did every now and again too...Which reminds Me...What was the Formation called when Big Ted and Fat Pat both played in the 3-4? Was it "The Elephant?" Someone refresh My memory... B-)

RB - Willis McGahee

Seriously? He insulted Buffalo and the fans while he was here and half-assed it his last year here...there's only 2 ex-Bills I despise...Peters and McGahee... :censored:F Willis!

I'll say it....Wade Phillips.

B-)

Agreed...he quit on the Bills...twice! Said we were out of the playoff hunt when we weren't and rather than fire the worst special teams coach in the league, he quit...did he really think Ralph wouldn't fire Wade's little butt buddy?

I forget now - did the fans want Reuben out of town or was that only Gregg Williams' crusade?

Williams...fans didn't appreciate how good Ruben was but few wanted him gone

Bill Polian and Wade Phillips.

Firing Bill Polian was one of the worst decisions in sports history.

Firing Wade Phillips, in my opinion, triggered the epic collapse that the team recovers from to this day.

They both essentially quit...Polian started fights and Wade literally quit

You're not kidding. Ralph has many blunders, but that has to be the absolute worst decision ever made in the history of the NFL. Fire your GM, who took you from 2-14 to multiple Superbowl games, how dumb can you be?! :wallbash:
I've yet to see anyone with enough balls to do what Polian did. Yes, Polian will perhaps go down in history as the greatest NFL GM ever and things would be so much better if he were still here...but he's not God...he has flaws like a temper that made him start fights with other high-ranking employees...I think it's ridiculous that Ralph gets all this blame for doing what any boss would do in that situation yet Saint Polian had no fault whatsoever. I don't give a crap if you're the greatest ever at your job...if you're starting fights with other high-ranking employees, you're unemployed.

I dare ANYONE to try what Polian did and see if you'll keep your job...everyone shooting their mouths off about this should man up and see if they can get away with what Polian didn't. Everyone's too much of a coward, though.

I'd be willing to bet that Polian knows he was in the wrong for what happened, too.

I'll say it....Wade Phillips.

Nice guy, but the team was on a downward trend under him. I can't forget him telling the team we're out of it before that 2000 Indianapolis game when both Indy and Buffalo were still alive (we were both at 7-6). Of course, Indy beat us handily and they made the playoffs.

Wade may have been better than what we've had the past decade, but that still doesn't say much for him.

I agree. Donahoe was so pissed at Bledsoe for not choosing the side of the field that the coaches wanted him to take in the Pittsburgh game, that Donahoe gave the starting job to Losman and publicly bashed Bledsoe for his mistake.

That game wasn't all Bledsoe's bad play, the entire team choked. Particually the defense in stopping unknown RB Willie Parker. The fact that the Bills starters were humiliated by the Steeler's backups was pretty sad, and if the Bills win that game they have a shot at the playoffs.

To me, I think it was more of the pressure to start JP that Big ben caused because he was playing great for the Steelers and the had Bills moved up to take JP with a first round pick. They badly wanted him to play as well as big ben was playing.

That game wasn't all Bledsoe's bad play, the entire team choked. Particually the defense in stopping unknown RB Willie Parker. The fact that the Bills starters were humiliated by the Steeler's backups was pretty sad, and if the Bills win that game they have a shot at the playoffs.

To me, I think it was more of the pressure to start JP that Big ben caused because he was playing great for the Steelers and the had Bills moved up to take JP with a first round pick. They badly wanted him to play as well as big ben was playing.

Agreed. It did always amuse me that some seemed to want to place all or even simply the majority of the fault for this loss on Bledsoe (he did deserve his share but for the most part it struck me as he did not play excellently when a quality team needed an excellent QB performance to lead the way and offset bad play by others),

The critical points in this bad loss struck me as ST failures (Clements left a PR return on the carpet when if he was even adequate he would not have fumbled and if he wanted the claim of difference maker he made a difference for Pitts- and Lindell missed a chip shot which fortunately turned out to not be his usual MO as he has been one of the more consistent and productive Bills the last few years) and the D simply sucked as you mentioned when they needed to come up big.

I am no worshipper of Bledsoe who I feel was a wash for us (very good first year when he honestly deserved his Comeback Player of the year nod and his Pro Bowl berth (if you disagree fine but if not Bledsoe then who do you honor among the AFC QBs who did not make it) but he did not deserve to be extended after his horrendous second year.

However, explaining this loss is simply more complicated than laying sole blame on one player.

Agreed. It did always amuse me that some seemed to want to place all or even simply the majority of the fault for this loss on Bledsoe (he did deserve his share but for the most part it struck me as he did not play excellently when a quality team needed an excellent QB performance to lead the way and offset bad play by others),

The critical points in this bad loss struck me as ST failures (Clements left a PR return on the carpet when if he was even adequate he would not have fumbled and if he wanted the claim of difference maker he made a difference for Pitts- and Lindell missed a chip shot which fortunately turned out to not be his usual MO as he has been one of the more consistent and productive Bills the last few years) and the D simply sucked as you mentioned when they needed to come up big.

I am no worshipper of Bledsoe who I feel was a wash for us (very good first year when he honestly deserved his Comeback Player of the year nod and his Pro Bowl berth (if you disagree fine but if not Bledsoe then who do you honor among the AFC QBs who did not make it) but he did not deserve to be extended after his horrendous second year.

However, explaining this loss is simply more complicated than laying sole blame on one player.

To add to the Bledsoe situation in Buffalo, it always got me that instead of getting him more line support and finding ways to give him more time to throw, they tried to change him. The OC was instructed to make Bledsoe have a counter in his head to get rid of the ball within 3-4 seconds, old dog and new tricks takes time.

It was noted among almost every NFL team that once Bledsoe was hit a few times and rattled he didn't play well after that, so they kept up the heavy blitzes and he would play poorly.

The thing is he had a huge arm and was accurate, If he had good protection and got into a rhythm he would tear the opposing defense a new one, its a shame the Bills couldn't figure out how to protect him better or run more often to take pressure away from him.

Seriously? He insulted Buffalo and the fans while he was here and half-assed it his last year here...there's only 2 ex-Bills I despise...Peters and McGahee... :censored:F Willis!

Agreed...he quit on the Bills...twice! Said we were out of the playoff hunt when we weren't and rather than fire the worst special teams coach in the league, he quit...did he really think Ralph wouldn't fire Wade's little butt buddy?

Williams...fans didn't appreciate how good Ruben was but few wanted him gone

They both essentially quit...Polian started fights and Wade literally quit

I've yet to see anyone with enough balls to do what Polian did. Yes, Polian will perhaps go down in history as the greatest NFL GM ever and things would be so much better if he were still here...but he's not God...he has flaws like a temper that made him start fights with other high-ranking employees...I think it's ridiculous that Ralph gets all this blame for doing what any boss would do in that situation yet Saint Polian had no fault whatsoever. I don't give a crap if you're the greatest ever at your job...if you're starting fights with other high-ranking employees, you're unemployed.

I dare ANYONE to try what Polian did and see if you'll keep your job...everyone shooting their mouths off about this should man up and see if they can get away with what Polian didn't. Everyone's too much of a coward, though.

I'd be willing to bet that Polian knows he was in the wrong for what happened, too.

Polian was trying to win a superbowl and Littman was penny pinching and holding Polian back. I'm not saying Polian is 'holier than thou', but you don't fire the guy who turned your 2-14 team into a Superbowl contending team. Say what you want about Polian, but his teams have gone to the Superbowl 6 times. Granted, Polians teams only won 1 out of 6 Superbowls, but what Bills fan wouldn't accept that?

Polian was trying to win a superbowl and Littman was penny pinching and holding Polian back. I'm not saying Polian is 'holier than thou', but you don't fire the guy who turned your 2-14 team into a Superbowl contending team. Say what you want about Polian, but his teams have gone to the Superbowl 6 times. Granted, Polians teams only won 1 out of 6 Superbowls, but what Bills fan wouldn't accept that?

show me one job in which you can keep your job after starting fights with other high-ranking employees. If you're gonna blast Polian getting fired, you better blast Polian for putting Ralph in the situation he did. If Polian had tried to work with Littman instead of fighting with him, things would've been better for all.

show me one job in which you can keep your job after starting fights with other high-ranking employees. If you're gonna blast Polian getting fired, you better blast Polian for putting Ralph in the situation he did. If Polian had tried to work with Littman instead of fighting with him, things would've been better for all.

How do you that Polian didn't try working with Littman instead of fighting him? Do you know this as fact or just a guess? Polian was with the Bills at that time for more than 5 years (at least). If he Polian was a problem maker, like you're portraying him out to be, then why didn't Polian start a fight with Littman back in the late 80's instead of waiting how many years later? Bottom line, Ralph got cheap and ordered Littman to pinch pennies.

How do you that Polian didn't try working with Littman instead of fighting him? Do you know this as fact or just a guess? Polian was with the Bills at that time for more than 5 years (at least). If he Polian was a problem maker, like you're portraying him out to be, then why didn't Polian start a fight with Littman back in the late 80's instead of waiting how many years later? Bottom line, Ralph got cheap and ordered Littman to pinch pennies.

If two parties try to work together, fights don't happen (that's simple common sense)...considering that it's a well-known fact that Polian was the instigator (and he's the possessor of a strong temper), I think it stands to reason that Polian didn't try all that hard to work with Littman.

Of course, you wouldn't think that if you worship :thumbsup: Bill Polian as if he were God. Like I said before, I'd be willing to bet that Bill Polian feels he handled the situation with Littman badly

Easy. Ted Washington. And then Pat Williams. Honorable mention to Jabari Greer, although the book is still out on him until he strings together some more good, healthy seasons.

We should have kept Travis Henry. He produced for us even with a limp leg. He then went on and reproduced some more and more and more.

Gary Anderson.......drafted by the Bills and cut before the season began....