Nobody Talks About Fitz in this race, why not?

Fitz may be the least gifted QB in this pecking order physically, and his throws are not very accurate, but we played more competitive with him at the helm last year. He seems to be most respected among the group by his teammates, and may be the best leader. TO favored him much more than Trent, calling him a "veteran who has been around the league". TO may be washed up and egotistical, but he knows what winning takes, and he favored Fitz.

Watching games, it looked like Fitz knew where to go with the football and read defenses better than Trent. His throws wern't on the money too often, but he went downfield and took chances, not to mention hes not injury prone. They may have said brohm had a good OTA, and trent looks like "the most talented", but fitz is smart and tough, and Fewell went down the stretch with him last year when he was trying to win games, not Trent, and it wasn't even a discussion.

At this point, unless Gailey really sees potential in Brohm as a good QB and wants to develop him, I think its 40-40-20 in the Trent/Fitz/Brohm race.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and he was running around like a hamster on crack back there because by the time he played we were letting any warm body play offensive line. He didnt know what he was doing, but he seemed to understand sometimes you have to take shots to keep the defense honest, and he was game and confident. Sort of the anti-Edwards so far as that is concerned.

I'd like to know what happened to the discussion of Levi Brown. I recall early interviews with Gailey where he stated Brown would be able to compete for the spot. However, in recent interviews, his name no longer comes up. Now, before I get flamed, I'm NOT suggesting that there is anything wrong with omitting Brown from the competition. We've got 2 guys with significant game experience and another guy who's been in the league a couple of years, but with very limited game experience, and then you have a rookie. Obviously, unless the rookie is Jim Kelly, the guy has to take a seat. I just find it curious how Gailey went from saying that Brown would have a shot to Brown now being an afterthought. Again, I'm not suggesting that 4 QB's share reps in training camp and it really does make sense that Brown pick things up slowly and take a back seat for a year or two, but just find it interesting how what was said a couple of months ago no longer seems to apply -- that's all.

Fitz may be the least gifted QB in this pecking order physically, and his throws are not very accurate, but we played more competitive with him at the helm last year. He seems to be most respected among the group by his teammates, and may be the best leader. TO favored him much more than Trent, calling him a "veteran who has been around the league". TO may be washed up and egotistical, but he knows what winning takes, and he favored Fitz.

Watching games, it looked like Fitz knew where to go with the football and read defenses better than Trent. His throws wern't on the money too often, but he went downfield and took chances, not to mention hes not injury prone. They may have said brohm had a good OTA, and trent looks like "the most talented", but fitz is smart and tough, and Fewell went down the stretch with him last year when he was trying to win games, not Trent, and it wasn't even a discussion.

At this point, unless Gailey really sees potential in Brohm as a good QB and wants to develop him, I think its 40-40-20 in the Trent/Fitz/Brohm race.

I think you definitely nailed Fitz's strengths. I think Gailey is telling the truth when he says "It's close". I think it really is more 33-33-33-1 (1 appears to be Brown).

Wouldn't shock me at all if it was Edwards released.....Brohm starts....Fitz is backup...and Brown is 3rd QB

I was thinking the same thing. I can hardly wait for training camp to start to see what transpires. :thumbsup:

Fitz only looked better because he didn't get sacked as much and he had one big play.

FWIW, Edwards had higher completion % by 4.2, yards per attempt by .1 yard, interception % by .6%, overall QB rating by 4.1, and surprisingly a higher yards per carry by 3.1 yards per carry

Fitzy, had a higher TD% by .6% and a better sack rate of 3.3%.

I think that improved lineplay will allow Edwards to look better. To me, any pocket passer must depend on his line to have any degree of success, where a scrambler won't have as bad of floor for performances. In the same breath, more often than not a classic pocket passer is the more dangerous weapon, when the line is able to protect long enough.

Wouldn't shock me at all if it was Edwards released.....Brohm starts....Fitz is backup...and Brown is 3rd QB

I don't really get why so many think Brohm is the most likely starter, his career has been a bust so far, all we have are a handful of OTA's upon which to judge the guy. At this point I won't argue with anyone over it because its just waaaaay to early to have any idea who our starter should be.

I don't really get why so many think Brohm is the most likely starter, his career has been a bust so far, all we have are a handful of OTA's upon which to judge the guy. At this point I won't argue with anyone over it because its just waaaaay to early to have any idea who our starter should be.

Its strictly my own opinion I am not talking for anybody else but I just think the coaches like him......and I think they have seen all they need to from Edwards.....

I was a big Edwards supporter right up until he lost his starting job......it just seemed to happen to easily I dont know something about it was weird.......

IMO Brohm will start......he will make big plays AND he will throw interceptions......but we did not take a QB until the late rounds of the draft and I really thought that Brohm might be a Buddy Nix plant given the timing of when he was brought in.

Fitzpatrick should be cut ASAP. At least Edwards and Brohm are young and have the potential to be molded. Fitzpatrick is a career joke. I'd rather stare at a wall for three hours than watch his sorry ass quarterback a game.

Edwards is 26, Fitzpatrick is 27, so I don't see age as even being a factor here -- for all intents and purposes pretty much the same age. I'll withhold my judgment of all QB's on the roster until I see them in Gailey's offense during some preseason games. Until then, I'm going to give them ALL the benefit of the doubt that they may be capable QB's in the right offense.

Edwards is 26, Fitzpatrick is 27, so I don't see age as even being a factor here -- for all intents and purposes pretty much the same age. I'll withhold my judgment of all QB's on the roster until I seem them in Gailey's offense during some preseason games. Until then, I'm going to give them ALL the benefit of the doubt that they may be capable QB's in the right offense.

Really? Only a one-year difference? That surprises me, so I stand corrected. I still hate Fitzpatrick, though.

Trent, Brohm and Brown are still open to evaluation. IMO Fitz is what he is, a fair back up. He can win a few games for us, (witness last year) but is not someone to hang the #1 tag on. He seems to understand the game, so I've got no problem with him in the Frank Reich role.

Trent, Brohm and Brown are still open to evaluation. IMO Fitz is what he is, a fair back up. He can win a few games for us, (witness last year) but is not someone to hang the #1 tag on. He seems to understand the game, so I've got no problem with him in the Frank Reiich role.

Fitzpatrick is the second coming of Kelly Holcomb, minus the droopy drawers face... honestly, call me nuts, I don't expect great things from the Bills this season, but, if they were to go into the season with Fitzpatrick at QB, I would feel even less enthusiastic. I don't hate the guy, and he certainly has more, uh, intangibles than Trent Edwards showed last season, but, I would like to think (though not convinced yet) that Edwards can get back on track with a better coaching staff... I think Fitzpatrick is a perfect back-up. He does some things well, but, as a starter, his potential, IMO, is very limited. Like Holcomb, who made a name for himself in Cleveland, coming off the bench and putting up numbers, once he is entrenched as a starter, I don't think Fitzpatricks game gets any better...only worse, the more opponents see how limited, and inaccurate, he is.

Fitzpatrick is the second coming of Kelly Holcomb, minus the droopy drawers face... honestly, call me nuts, I don't expect great things from the Bills this season, but, if they were to go into the season with Fitzpatrick at QB, I would feel even less enthusiastic. I don't hate the guy, and he certainly has more, uh, intangibles than Trent Edwards showed last season, but, I would like to think (though not convinced yet) that Edwards can get back on track with a better coaching staff... I think Fitzpatrick is a perfect back-up. He does some things well, but, as a starter, his potential, IMO, is very limited. Like Holcomb, who made a name for himself in Cleveland, coming off the bench and putting up numbers, once he is entrenched as a starter, I don't think Fitzpatricks game gets any better...only worse, the more opponents see how limited, and inaccurate, he is.

Very well stated. Fitz isn't the future, isn't a starting NFL QB, and is a decent to good back up QB. I would be surprised if the Bills brass doesn't see it this way too. In short, he is not the future for the Bills.

I think what we will see is Edwards starting and giving way to Brohm. Eventually, we will all know whether he is our franchise QB or a bust. I think this may have been Gailey's plan all along. If he's not a franchise QB, we take a chance in the next draft.

I don't think this will happen. Brown will probably be placed on the practice squad. As for the other three, the "pecking order" is unknown, although I would be surprised if Fitz is named our #1 because of his errant throws. If I had to judge based on last year, the video from the OTA's and articles, I would say Edwards starts because of experience, Brohm is #2 because of potential, and Fitz is #3. That said, Brohm will be starting by week 4 because Edwards will get hurt. When Edwards is able, he'll return as #3 and stay there. Whether Brohm retains the starting role over Fitz, I dont know. This is all speculation anyways.

Fitz would be a decent guy to have around.....however the three headed monster cannot exist. I think this happens BEFORE training camp starts. I actually think we could get a late round draft pick for him (like a 6 or a 7). Chicago is looking for a more experience backup to Cutler and Fitz played under Mike Martz' offense. There you go.

I'm a Levi Brown fan but I'd bet he gets released and put on the practice squad.

The other scenario I actually think could happen is if Tyler Thigpen gets released that Buffalo puts a claim in for him. I wouldn't guarantee he'd automatically be the starter, but watch the dominoes fall.............