Nobody Talks About Fitz in this race, why not?

Fitz might not provide hope, but he could provide Wins. I'll take that. 5-4 in 2009 with an idiot coach and an interim coach and a MASH unit for a team. Put him in an offense to take advantage of what he's got and our running game and scatback, and if our D can be decent, we could post a 10-6 or 9-7 record. Maybe Fitz doesn't have the tools of a QB like Manning or Marino, but he makes up for it in leadership and football smarts. Look at my signature below to see what a HOF QB thinks about leadership.

Get off of the franchise QB thing at least for now. We don't have it. We have to put ourselves in the best position to win without one. Fitz is the man.

I'm tired of baby sitting snot nose rookie QBs hoping someday they might be good.

Isn't anyone else?

First off, I am not saying Fitz cant be servicable...I was just simply stating why no one is pulling for Fitz.

Secondly, I would MUCH rather go with a young guy like Brohm if he can win the job than Fitz...and you should too. Because if we dont, then you are just going to have to watch a "snot nosed" rookie QB next year because I can pretty much say that if Fitz wins we will be drafting a QB next season. At least if Brohm wins, he provides the potential to step up and be a long term answer...and if he does, then we wont need to go QB early next year and can add more pieces elsewhere.

So, Fitz represents a lost year of not having a starter caliber QB if he wins just to find us trying to groom a young guy next year or enduring a partial year of crappy QB from someone like Fitz before the rookie takes over.

PS: What I am tired of watching is putrid QB play from players that are not going to be the QB of this team long term...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

red dog... fitz was 4-5, trent was 2-6 and brohm was 0-1.

What I was getting at is that the Bills had a significantly tougher schedule early on compared to mid to late season. In addition, I think the team responded much better to Fewell as a coach over Dick.

red dog... fitz was 4-5, trent was 2-6 and brohm was 0-1.

What I was getting at is that the Bills had a significantly tougher schedule early on compared to mid to late season. In addition, I think the team responded much better to Fewell as a coach over Dick.

justnzane ... not sure what's up with that. 4 + 5 + 2 + 6 + 0 + 1 = 18

I looked here on the Buffalo Bills web site. Fitz is listed as leading passer in 5 wins and 4 losses. Trent is listed as leading passer in 1 win and 5 losses. Brohm in 0 wins and 1 loss. I suppose technically Trent did start the first Jets game. But even in baseball you gotta go 5 innings to get the win if you're the starter. Again, Fitz is listed as leading passer for the Bills in that game.

As far as significantly better opposition early on, in the first 5 games, 3 were against teams with losing records, ie Fish, Bucs, and Clowns. The other 2 were Patsies and Aints. In the first 8 we played 3 playoff teams and in the second 8 we played 3 playoff teams. Doesn't look to be a whole lot different to me.

I think in the second half of the year the team responded better to Perry AND Fitz. Team responded pretty well to Fitz and Dick in the first Jets game.

The regular season is for one thing and one thing only. Trying to win the most games. It's no an extended player evaluation/development period. That's why, as for now, I want Fitz. He was involved and played a large part in 83% of our wins last year. Extend his 5-4 to the whole season and you got 9-7. Same record as the AFC runner up, the Jets.

Something to think about.

Fitz had better control of the team. TO responded better to him. The team as a whole faired better because Fitz was respected, tough, and smart. Does he win in the natural born talent evaluation? No. But does he make the right reads and lead the team? Yes

He may give us our best chance to win next year. Does anyone out there think starting trent or brohm give us a better chance to win? Trent gets hurt, doesnt throw downfield, and lost his job last year. Brohm has less experience at QB then my dog.

in a new system they are all at square one, and since that is the case, i'll take Brohm. Strong arm and accurate he should win the job in camp as long as he can grasp the playbook, which I believe he will. Fitz is a good backup, and trent ultimately should be cut, he fits better in a WCO anyway

Fitz had better control of the team. TO responded better to him. The team as a whole faired better because Fitz was respected, tough, and smart. Does he win in the natural born talent evaluation? No. But does he make the right reads and lead the team? Yes

He may give us our best chance to win next year. Does anyone out there think starting trent or brohm give us a better chance to win? Trent gets hurt, doesnt throw downfield, and lost his job last year. Brohm has less experience at QB then my dog.

Based on last year, I think he gives us a better chance over Trent...however, thats just based on last year...I will wait to see how Trent and Fitz respond to Chans system. Who knows, maybe Chan can teach Trent some balls, and more importantly teach him how to progress through his reads, read defenses, and anticipate routes.

However, I think Brohm is just flat out a better QB prospect than either and I actually believe Brohm will give us a better chance to win even with the limited experience. He may only have one start, but he has also had the time to sit and learn, so its not like a totally inexperienced rookie. I may be wrong on Brohm, but I really do like his potential and think this guy could very well be a good QB in this league and just may surprise some people this season.

Again, only time will tell, I mean I am no psychic...but I just think he has a lot of potential to be good while Fitz and Trent just have low cielings.

I am not afraid to say it right here...I believe that if Brohm starts the full season I think he will throw between 22-25 TD's with 8-12 INT's...in his first year with around 3800 yards...

However, I think Brohm is just flat out a better QB prospect than either and I actually believe Brohm will give us a better chance to win even with the limited experience. He may only have one start, but he has also had the time to sit and learn, so its not like a totally inexperienced rookie. I may be wrong on Brohm, but I really do like his potential and think this guy could very well be a good QB in this league and just may surprise some people this season.

Again, only time will tell, I mean I am no psychic...but I just think he has a lot of potential to be good while Fitz and Trent just have low cielings.

I am not afraid to say it right here...I believe that if Brohm starts the full season I think he will throw between 22-25 TD's with 8-10 INT's...in his first year with around 3800 yards...

totally agree about brohm, except the int count, i'd bump that to b/t 10-14, but still 22 tds 12 ints and 3800 yds isnt too shabby

Since Levi Brown will likely end up on the development team, Fitz is a logical choice for third string, unless the Bills elect to trade or pick up another quarterback from free agency. Fitz couldn't prove himself in Cincinnati or Buffalo and he's not a rookie quarterback with a lot of upside. He becomes an emergency option at best and a last resort if the football gods are displeased with Edwards and Brohm. Either way, you've got to believe that QB is going to be a priority for the 2011 draft, even if he holds a clipboard for all of '11.

justnzane ... not sure what's up with that. 4 + 5 + 2 + 6 + 0 + 1 = 18

I looked here on the Buffalo Bills web site. Fitz is listed as leading passer in 5 wins and 4 losses. Trent is listed as leading passer in 1 win and 5 losses. Brohm in 0 wins and 1 loss. I suppose technically Trent did start the first Jets game. But even in baseball you gotta go 5 innings to get the win if you're the starter. Again, Fitz is listed as leading passer for the Bills in that game.

Trent was 2-5. Fitz was 4-4. I screwed that one up.

Trent gets credit for the jets game he got knocked out of where he was 5 for 5 to start the game. As for your counterargument to my claim that Edwards faced tougher opponents I stand by as edwards started against a decent fish team, playoff teams in the Saints, Pats and Jets, and a Titans team that was turning the corner. The only bad teams he faced was the Browns and Bucs.

Compare that to Fitz facing Carolina, KC, Jacksonville, and Indy's backups. So yes, I stand by my claim there. I do not hate Fitzy, he just hasn't shown me any thing more than scrambling ability.

Guest dog14787
Trent was 2-5. Fitz was 4-4. I screwed that one up.

Trent gets credit for the jets game he got knocked out of where he was 5 for 5 to start the game. As for your counterargument to my claim that Edwards faced tougher opponents I stand by as edwards started against a decent fish team, playoff teams in the Saints, Pats and Jets, and a Titans team that was turning the corner. The only bad teams he faced was the Browns and Bucs.

Compare that to Fitz facing Carolina, KC, Jacksonville, and Indy's backups. So yes, I stand by my claim there. I do not hate Fitzy, he just hasn't shown me any thing more than scrambling ability.

Without looking, If I remember correctly Fitzy has now won 9 of his last 14 starts ( counting jets game) and while I don't think Fitzpatrick is the long term answer at the QB position, the team rallies around Fitz and he wins football games.

I'm all about Trent Edwards , but it wouldn't surprise me to much if Fitz surprises everyone and wins the start because all things considered, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a decent QB in my opinion with great wheels, plenty of smarts, and he has the biggest balls of the bunch.

Fitz is fearless plus he's a gamer and the players respect him for it.

I didn't realize perfect backups sucked?

Apparently they do...And come to find out that's A.O.K. with some Bills Fans now...Who woulda thunk it? :P

I never realized sucking was good at any position...But after a decade of losing I guess it's not that bad anymore... :lol:

Since Levi Brown will likely end up on the development team, Fitz is a logical choice for third string, unless the Bills elect to trade or pick up another quarterback from free agency. Fitz couldn't prove himself in Cincinnati or Buffalo and he's not a rookie quarterback with a lot of upside. He becomes an emergency option at best and a last resort if the football gods are displeased with Edwards and Brohm. Either way, you've got to believe that QB is going to be a priority for the 2011 draft, even if he holds a clipboard for all of '11.

Beacuse Levi Brown was drafted and not signed as a FA he would have to be cut and resigned to the practice squad. Like Brohm he could then sign with any team he wanted. I can't see the Bills running that risk if they went to the trouble of drafting him. He will be the third string QB.

Without looking, If I remember correctly Fitzy has now won 9 of his last 14 starts ( counting jets game) and while I don't think Fitzpatrick is the long term answer at the QB position, the team rallies around Fitz and he wins football games.

I'm all about Trent Edwards , but it wouldn't surprise me to much if Fitz surprises everyone and wins the start because all things considered, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a decent QB in my opinion with great wheels, plenty of smarts, and he has the biggest balls of the bunch.

Fitz is fearless plus he's a gamer and the players respect him for it.

+1

Why is no one talking about Fitz in this race? Well the answer is simple...because no one wants him to win it. The reason is simple:

Brohm: Is unknown and was a highly regarded prospect...he offers at least potential to be a franchise guy.

Trent: Gaileys ability to get a lot put of less in terms of QB's still provides some hope Trent can develop into a quality starter under him...

Fitz: Not seen as a guy with the potential to be a long term answer by hardly anyone.

If Brohm wins, we suddenly have a young prospect with potential to shore up our QB woes...if Trent wins, well many will see it as one last shot for him to develop into a long term guy. Now if Fitz wins, that means our two best shots at a long term answer both couldnt get it done and we have to endure a seat warmer in Fitz until we find our guy next year.

So, Fitz offer little to no hope while the others do to some degree still...so no one wants Fitz to win because we are screwed if he does. We may be screwed no matter who wins, but at least the other provide some hope to a lot of fans...

I really like this. the hatred for Fitz is mostly symbolic, isn't it? Starting Fitz fully admits the great white hopes are hopeless. That is a really great analysis....I think you are 100% right. never occurred to me before, but I really think you've nailed it.

I am not afraid to say it right here...I believe that if Brohm starts the full season I think he will throw between 22-25 TD's with 8-12 INT's...in his first year with around 3800 yards...

Since the odds are 1/3 that Brohm will be the starter, you're safe in never being called out on an absolutely ridiculous statement.

I guarantee that if Brohm is named the starter, he won't get anywhere near those numbers. Projecting Pro Bowl numbers for a guy who has started one NFL game & stunk up the Georgia Dome in the process is insane.

There is one way you might be right-If you project the 10 games Brohm starts in the UFL to a 16 game season.

You're either Jeff Brohm or you've lost your mind.