Maybe Chan is the right coach

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just like many of you on this board was hoping against hope than we would get Cowher as HC. But the more I listen to Gailey the more I like the guy. Just a gut feeling because we haven't played any games yet but I feel that maybe we got a guy that knows what he is doing on offense.

When Buddy hired him I was like oh hell no.... but after watching his pressers on the Bills website he seems like in complete control...never did I get this feeling when Jauron was in town. Seems like Jauron was happy to play not to lose, while Chan is more old school in his ways about football which is refreshing.

Very interested in seeing what training camp is going to be like this year. That will tell volumes to me. If they actually have a REAL training camp for once I will start to believe we are going in the right direction.

I don't think this team is going to be as bad as people think. Chan is an upgrade on the offensive side coaching wise and we have lots of talent on D in the secondary. If DC Edwards can find a way to stop the run with the players we have a chance to be decent. Maybe not playoffs this year but they go 7-9 or 8-8 and show improvement as the season wears on I could live with that.

GO BILLS

He seems like the right choice... and I'll give him this much, he sure a heck handles the press well (Nix included)

I always look into either's press conference.

The bottom line is no one really knows how the new regime is going to do. We are all hoping that Chan and company can lead this team to a playoff birth and more. As a result, many of us "have the blinders on" and see only what we wanna see. We are focused on the positives like Galiey's offensive successes, the teams new defensive scheme, the new players developing, new conditioning coach and mindset, Spiller, Troup, Easley, Callaway, and Brown additions, etc...There is plenty to be hopeful about...

However, I can't help but laugh when I read all that you have written regarding this post. We have been saying the same things after the beginning of each regime change. Why is this time going to be any different? Kinda like the boy crying wolf...

I suppose one of these times were going to be right? Maybe this time we will be right. I have my doubts.

Hey can I get a shot of that cool aid?

The bottom line is no one really knows how the new regime is going to do. We are all hoping that Chan and company can lead this team to a playoff birth and more. As a result, many of us "have the blinders on" and see only what we wanna see. We are focused on the positives like Galiey's offensive successes, the teams new defensive scheme, the new players developing, new conditioning coach and mindset, Spiller, Troup, Easley, Callaway, and Brown additions, etc...There is plenty to be hopeful about...

However, I can't help but laugh when I read all that you have written regarding this post. We have been saying the same things after the beginning of each regime change. Why is this time going to be any different? Kinda like the boy crying wolf...

I suppose one of these times were going to be right? Maybe this time we will be right. I have my doubts.

Hey i got grape flavor and ill even throw in some ice :thumbsup:

But real talk.... you are correct but I was thinking just maybe Chan can change the culture of losing we have here.

If you don't have hope then what do we have??? Hell even the Lions have hope this time of year.

Tell ya what. Our offense will be, *hopefully*, better this year because... we'll be practicing everyday against a 3-4 defense that will be on the field come game day (not the scout team). Offensive plays should be better executed this time around since we have someone at the helm who can disguise them better and get more out of our QBs, whichever will be starting.

Why is it hard for us to win against our division? Well, according to DJ, "it's hard to win in the NFL." Before, we had no clue what we were doing against the 3-4.

I just like many of you on this board was hoping against hope than we would get Cowher as HC. But the more I listen to Gailey the more I like the guy. Just a gut feeling because we haven't played any games yet but I feel that maybe we got a guy that knows what he is doing on offense.

When Buddy hired him I was like oh hell no.... but after watching his pressers on the Bills website he seems like in complete control...never did I get this feeling when Jauron was in town. Seems like Jauron was happy to play not to lose, while Chan is more old school in his ways about football which is refreshing.

Very interested in seeing what training camp is going to be like this year. That will tell volumes to me. If they actually have a REAL training camp for once I will start to believe we are going in the right direction.

I don't think this team is going to be as bad as people think. Chan is an upgrade on the offensive side coaching wise and we have lots of talent on D in the secondary. If DC Edwards can find a way to stop the run with the players we have a chance to be decent. Maybe not playoffs this year but they go 7-9 or 8-8 and show improvement as the season wears on I could live with that.

GO BILLS

I agree with your assessment.

What I think is most telling is that for the past couple of years, the Bills have hung tight in just about every game, losing in the closing minutes or in the 4th quarter. They were trading blows with the Saints last year until things unraveled. They had the Patriots dead-to-rights IN NEW ENGLAND...ON PRIME TIME...before blowing it in the closing minutes. The thriller against the Cowboys a couple of seasons ago.

The reason I bring that up is not to forget that, yes, the Bills did lose these games (and more), but the FASHION in which they lost them (close) suggests that they are not that far off from turning it around.

I don't like to try to predict win-loss records. So I won't. Losing Schobel hurt. But I think we have had 2 solid drafts now, a front office in place that has been quietly savvy in signing experienced vets (Green, Davis, Torbor, Simpson, Matthews, Edwards, that WR from New England), and finally, FINALLY an offensive philosophy that appears sound and a staff, strength team, etc that knows what it is doing. And we have DeHaven back! We have direction, a solid strength program, better depth, and maybe even some sensational players (Spiller, a revived Parrish, perhaps a surprise rookie WR).

Do we have holes? Absolutely. I'm still not sure about our LT position. It also does not sit well with me that no QB has come out as the leader thus far.

I'm excited for this upcoming season!

GO BILLS!!

mipplesSIX...the one flaw in your logic re: the boy who cried "wolf" is that in the old story, it was the same boy crying wold over and over and over. in the case of the buffalo bills, nix/gailey had very little to do with the decade-long drought of the buffalo bills, virtually nothing in fact. so, it's like a new kid coming in after the prior kid cried wolf. i think you have to trust your instinct and hide the sheep until the new kid proves he's a sillyheart liar.

in fairness, you could make the same argument abotu regime changes as they relate to cowher or shanny or marty s. it's quite clear that organizationally speaking, past history is not a guarantee of future success (see joe gibbs and his recent redskin run). true, those names might play bettter than 'chan gailey' but that's the fact, jack.

and, to take it one step further, chan's relative success in dallas might well mean that he has gone as far as he can go, and old dogs might never learn new tricks. i believe his lack of big game success (and the feeling he got jobbed a bit in the big d) might well have him coaching with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. i personally like that dynamic in play here. i'd sure love for marshwan lynch to look at it like that. though he might lack the capacity to see the bigger picture.

cowher, shanny et all have been to the promised land, and while that doesn't preclude the burning desire to go back, i wonder if their committment would extend to a small market team in a cold weather climate with a team in flux right now.

i also loved gailey's comments about training camp and shoebel maybe/maybe not attending. Something about "coaching the dog" out of the players that are there....please do, chan, coach the dog right out of them.

so, new regime is no guarantee of succes, new tough talk means nothing until they hit the field, not having jauron there doesn't mean they will be better coached or execute more efficiently----but it is a new regime. remember that team from south florida a couple years back that benefited from a regime change?

i'll have an extra large kool aid, no ice please...

Chan is a good coach and well respected in the NFL. He is an excellent OC too. We shall see how he does with the Bills in both roles.

It's not hard to be an improvement over the sad-sack former HC Buffalo had and the bar was set pretty low to improve on DJ. It seems like anything new is instantly declared better around here. At the time, Marv was an improvement over DJ. DJ over Mularkey. Mularkey over Williams. Williams over Wade. Donahoe over Butler. Problem is, the same guy is still making the decisions.

Was it that long ago that so many were defending the then rumored re-signing of the 5-0 DJ (before his contract was up)? Some actually said Ralph had to act fast and re-sign DJ because he would get snatched up in the off-season by some other team.

Gailey is a very good football coach, but face facts. We don't have a starting caliber OT on the roster, we don't have a proven QB, we are weak at WR, transitioning to a 3-4 with Eric Flowers II starting and no depth anywhere but RB.

We were built around special teams and are weak on both sides of the ball- sorry, but 4-5 wins this year. It is about time we started rebuilding- I am happy with that!

Gailey is a very good football coach, but face facts. We don't have a starting caliber OT on the roster, we don't have a proven QB, we are weak at WR, transitioning to a 3-4 with Eric Flowers II starting and no depth anywhere but RB.

We were built around special teams and are weak on both sides of the ball- sorry, but 4-5 wins this year. It is about time we started rebuilding- I am happy with that!

Adam, I agree with your post but the fans here don't want to hear it. Most posters want to hear only the positives and how we are going to win...

Your negative posts will not be appreciated. Take it from me, I have said basically what you have said and the people here are ready to "LYNCH" me.

Bad logic. Because some great college coaches flame out in the NFL, you take that to mean that a mediocre (at best) college coach will be successful in the NFL. A classic logical fallacy, my friend.

Gailey's "rep at Dallas" was uneven, despite the Jerry Jones quote you love to cite. Yes his teams made it to the postseason - but they were also boring and, at times, unprepared in key situations.

The correct logical reasoning, unfortunately, would be that if even great college coaches have trouble in the NFL, than average college coaches will fail Miserably. We shall see...

Wasn't DJ recommended and then ultimately hired by a former HOF coach???

Except Marv never met Jauron before, much less worked with him. And Marv hadn't coached in the NFL for 8 years when he hired DJ.

Was it that long ago that so many were defending the then rumored re-signing of the 5-0 DJ (before his contract was up)? Some actually said Ralph had to act fast and re-sign DJ because he would get snatched up in the off-season by some other team.

Ralph and the organization felt an urge to act quickly because they (falsely) believed that his contract price would dramatically go up with a very successful season. This very befuddled owner and dysfunctional organization he put together was completely out of touch with the reality of the actual state of affairs of their team. Since this very second rate owner and organization were mediocre in assessing players no one should be surprised that they were just as inept in assessing its staff.

Except Marv never met Jauron before, much less worked with him. And Marv hadn't coached in the NFL for 8 years when he hired DJ.

You are incorrect. Marv had some association with Jauron when DJ was coaching the Bears and Marv was doing some media work for the team during the preseasons. In addition, Marv lived in Chicago, so it shouldn't be surprising that he had contact with the Chicago HC. Dick Jauron was a Marv hire. He argued on DJ's behalf when the grizzly owner preferred Sherman.

You make an interesting point about Marv not being involved with the NFL in a meaningful way for a number of years before he was hired by Ralph. That makes his hiring by the goofey owner even more peculiar.