Maybe Chan is the right coach

The right guy is the guy who has some fire in this gut, maybe has a chip on his shoulder, and wants to be there.

Agreed and Chan seems to be that guy. We are all so desensitized because of the Jauron era, that we may be elevating Chan a little prematurely simply on the fact he isn't Jauron. I am excited though and so far like what i've seen and heard from him.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad logic. Because some great college coaches flame out in the NFL, you take that to mean that a mediocre (at best) college coach will be successful in the NFL. A classic logical fallacy, my friend.

Gailey's "rep at Dallas" was uneven, despite the Jerry Jones quote you love to cite. Yes his teams made it to the postseason - but they were also boring and, at times, unprepared in key situations.

I'll gladly take boring and unprepared if it gets us to the postseason.

I just like many of you on this board was hoping against hope than we would get Cowher as HC. But the more I listen to Gailey the more I like the guy. Just a gut feeling because we haven't played any games yet but I feel that maybe we got a guy that knows what he is doing on offense.

When Buddy hired him I was like oh hell no.... but after watching his pressers on the Bills website he seems like in complete control...never did I get this feeling when Jauron was in town. Seems like Jauron was happy to play not to lose, while Chan is more old school in his ways about football which is refreshing.

Very interested in seeing what training camp is going to be like this year. That will tell volumes to me. If they actually have a REAL training camp for once I will start to believe we are going in the right direction.

I don't think this team is going to be as bad as people think. Chan is an upgrade on the offensive side coaching wise and we have lots of talent on D in the secondary. If DC Edwards can find a way to stop the run with the players we have a chance to be decent. Maybe not playoffs this year but they go 7-9 or 8-8 and show improvement as the season wears on I could live with that.

GO BILLS

you can live with 7 wins? not me, i will commit suicide immediately

....or maybe live with it, since thats what we must do because its reality, however 10 wins is completely possible this season looking at the schedule.

Does Chan know when to call timeout? Does he know when to throw the challenge flag? Does he know when to go for it on 4th and when to punt? Can he motivate his players on a week to week basis? Can he and his staff make the proper halftime adjustments?

I HAVE NO FREAKIN' CLUE, AND NEITHER DO YOU.

Let's wait until the games start people...

awesome! "FREAKIN'" AND 'people" i feel like im on the east side already!

The right guy is the guy who has some fire in this gut, maybe has a chip on his shoulder, and wants to be there.

great comment!

Bad logic. Because some great college coaches flame out in the NFL, you take that to mean that a mediocre (at best) college coach will be successful in the NFL. A classic logical fallacy, my friend.

Gailey's "rep at Dallas" was uneven, despite the Jerry Jones quote you love to cite. Yes his teams made it to the postseason - but they were also boring and, at times, unprepared in key situations.

I'd rather take Gailey's boring and unprepared at times, just as long as it gets us to the playoffs, compared to the very boring, very unprepared, "it's hard to win in the NFL" style of Dick Jauron.

Honestly, I'm still not thrilled about Chan. If the rumors were true that Billick was interested in the job I still wish we would have gone after him over Gailey. I think too many people got too exceited over Chan's offensive mindset that they forget that there are guys out there who have great offensive minds but make lousy head coaches (Mike Martz). Whereas Brian Billick has proven himself as a head coach.

However, I am willing to let all that go for now and give him a chance. In the end, a guy like Chan who wants to be here is probably a better option than Cowher who clearly did not want to come here and probably doesn't really want to get back into coaching anyone period. So if Chan can do the job I'll gladly eat my words.

Honestly, I'm still not thrilled about Chan. If the rumors were true that Billick was interested in the job I still wish we would have gone after him over Gailey. I think too many people got too exceited over Chan's offensive mindset that they forget that there are guys out there who have great offensive minds but make lousy head coaches (Mike Martz). Whereas Brian Billick has proven himself as a head coach.

However, I am willing to let all that go for now and give him a chance. In the end, a guy like Chan who wants to be here is probably a better option than Cowher who clearly did not want to come here and probably doesn't really want to get back into coaching anyone period. So if Chan can do the job I'll gladly eat my words.

I still wished the Bills would have went after Marty Schottenheimer. Marty's teams have always had great records in the regular seasons and made many trips to the playoffs. What separated Marty & Cowher was that Cowher had over 15 years on 1 team. If Cowher had 10 years or less on the Steelers, he would have been in the same category as Marty and Marv Levy, a great coach that never won a superbowl.

I just like many of you on this board was hoping against hope than we would get Cowher as HC. But the more I listen to Gailey the more I like the guy. Just a gut feeling because we haven't played any games yet but I feel that maybe we got a guy that knows what he is doing on offense.

When Buddy hired him I was like oh hell no.... but after watching his pressers on the Bills website he seems like in complete control...never did I get this feeling when Jauron was in town. Seems like Jauron was happy to play not to lose, while Chan is more old school in his ways about football which is refreshing.

Very interested in seeing what training camp is going to be like this year. That will tell volumes to me. If they actually have a REAL training camp for once I will start to believe we are going in the right direction.

I don't think this team is going to be as bad as people think. Chan is an upgrade on the offensive side coaching wise and we have lots of talent on D in the secondary. If DC Edwards can find a way to stop the run with the players we have a chance to be decent. Maybe not playoffs this year but they go 7-9 or 8-8 and show improvement as the season wears on I could live with that.

GO BILLS

I agree completely in regards to Chan being better than our first impression and an improvement offensively. He also is an upgrade in strength and conditioning, I bet we have half the number of IR's. He also makes them work harder, earn their jobs and pay and has added much needed competition. I think we will surprise people even with our brutal schedule.

I still wished the Bills would have went after Marty Schottenheimer. Marty's teams have always had great records in the regular seasons and made many trips to the playoffs. What separated Marty & Cowher was that Cowher had over 15 years on 1 team. If Cowher had 10 years or less on the Steelers, he would have been in the same category as Marty and Marv Levy, a great coach that never won a superbowl.

Yes, forgot about Marty. I would have loved to have had him as coach. Postseason record aside, a guy who can make the Browns a competitive team on a regular basis obviously knows what he's doing. Granted that was over 20 years ago but his stints with KC and San Diego prove he never lost it.

Brian Billick had plenty of lousy seasons, one year he had one of the best defenses in NFL history and won a superbowl. His offenses in Baltimore havent been great by any means. His success in Baltimore had alot to do with him being lucky to have great players on his team. I have never been impressed by him nor do I care to listen to him on NFL network.

Chan doesn't baby the players. He has upped the competition throughout the entire team. to me that is a huge step forward. The only two positions that aren' t open for debate are Punter and FG kicker. That's it. Everyone else is fighting for a starting spot. When there isn't competion the players get soft. This is what i like about Chan.

Kool aid guzzling is all we have this time of year. Since most Bills fans are completely desensitized to the feeling of disappointment, optimism has little down side.

Hey I like koolaid. grape thank you.

And I agree with what you said.

[/quote

I wanted Marty Ball as well. If Marty would have come here there might have been a slight chance his son from the Jets would have come with him as well.

But Chan maybe has the best backfield in the NFL and will use all these guys. So we might see a strong running game this year, the same thing Marty would have done with maybe a bit more down the field shots.

GO BILLS

I agree completely in regards to Chan being better than our first impression and an improvement offensively. He also is an upgrade in strength and conditioning, I bet we have half the number of IR's. He also makes them work harder, earn their jobs and pay and has added much needed competition. I think we will surprise people even with our brutal schedule.

GO BILLS

I'm like you, I wasn't happy but everything I read is significantly positive. The QB really seem to like the guys style of coaching, the players talk about his candor with communication, he comes across as a positive guy who is willing to gt creative. The whole off season program seems to be about gaining comfort with the new system and gaining trust for the guys you play with. Those who have jumped on board will likely have a chance to see signifcant playing time. Though I think we lack talent and the o-line situation scares me, if we win 5/6 games with this talent he'll have proved he knows what he's doing.

oooh, guyzz.....

i have the SECRET !

obviously, kool-aid alone is not enough, so.....

you just add vodka. that'll make all the games easier to watch, no matter what.

but not just any ORdinary kool-aid now; it has to be Cherry.

t's true, cherry kool-aid makes a great mixer, and none of the other kinds come even close. in fact, they really don't work at all(yup, i tried). just be sure to add plenty of the sweetener of your choice.

you'll all thank me later.

~AS

PS: yeh, chan seems like he knows what he's doin'. if so, i may get by with a lot less beverage. :thumbsup:

GO BILLS

Chan is a good coach and well respected in the NFL. He is an excellent OC too. We shall see how he does with the Bills in both roles.

To be successful he will need better players that what he currently has. We still need help in the trenches, at WR, and maybe even at LB. Plus we do not know if we have a QB on the roster that can get the job done. Lots of unproven players.

Not sure who will emerge as a leader on this team. This is an area that has been lacking for a long time. Too many players seem to be ok with losing. That has to stop.