Jags to L.A

If Jacksonville moves to LA, I'm not sure that there exists another more viable football market than Buffalo in North America. Unless San Antonio or OKC builds a world class venue with ridiculous luxury seats, I'm not certain that the next owner couldn't make the most money in Buffalo. They're already what- 24th or 25th in terms of profit margin each year? And that's in a POS stadium. Buffalo is a POS market in terms of the economy and what not, but it's actually a great football market. The same way Winnipeg is a better hockey market than Phoenix. Would a new owner be certain enough that moving a team to San Antonio or OKC or even the Skydome would be more profitable than keeping them in Buffalo ten years from now? Will people show up in San Antonio when their team has sucked for ten straight years? Our fans do and the next owner will factor that in. The Bills aint goin nowhere.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Freeman of CBS is saying that the owner's are going to decide to move the Jags to most likely L.A in 2 or 3 years. Of course its not for sure, but I can definitely see that it could be true after going to the Bills v. Jags last year. No fan support and a badly located stadium.

One of the fans dint know who Paul Posluszny was, I know because I was wearing Poz's jersey. Said he never heard of him.

I think this bodes well for our future in Buffalo. Thoughts????

How are the owners going to do that? It's up to Wayne Weaver if he wants to sell the team. And as far as I've heard, he has no plans to do so.

If Jacksonville moves to LA, I'm not sure that there exists another more viable football market than Buffalo in North America. Unless San Antonio or OKC builds a world class venue with ridiculous luxury seats, I'm not certain that the next owner couldn't make the most money in Buffalo. They're already what- 24th or 25th in terms of profit margin each year? And that's in a POS stadium. Buffalo is a POS market in terms of the economy and what not, but it's actually a great football market. The same way Winnipeg is a better hockey market than Phoenix. Would a new owner be certain enough that moving a team to San Antonio or OKC or even the Skydome would be more profitable than keeping them in Buffalo ten years from now? Will people show up in San Antonio when their team has sucked for ten straight years? Our fans do and the next owner will factor that in. The Bills aint goin nowhere.

The bills aint goin nowhere!!!! You sound like an Okie like me! And I hope you are right.

I think San Antonio is a bad idea because of their proximity to Dallas and Houston. Texas doesn't need another team. Neither does California.

The economy is relatively stable in Oklahoma, (in the cities anyway) and I have no doubt our government could coerce us into paying for a stadium. Hell, I'll bet OU and OSU both see greater attendance numbers than Jacksonville. My hometown of Jenks puts 25,000 people in the seats every year at our high school rivalry game. Build a stadium within reach of OKC and Tulsa and you better believe we would support a team!

I would still be a Bills fan first though!!!

GO BILLS!!!

I lolololololololololololol at youuu... Because yes, I do know ILBs on every other teams or at least would recognize if I saw them. As would the majority of this forums contributors.

forgot to mention that you are an assumptive person, to ASSUME that because a fan of a team in florida doesnt know who the secondor third yr linebacker from another division, who has been injured for a good part of his career, and hasnt really stood out among the leagues best, as well as played his college football far far from the sec or the acc.

the fact that you ASSUME other teams fans are even close to being on par with the passion for their team and the NFL (as you obviously are) as buffalo bills fan....... then you have never left WNY because once you pass pittsburgh and cleveland, there is huge dropoff in passion and knowledge, believe me half the bronco fans dont even know they traded brandon marshall. seriously.

good try on making an interesting post however. LOL

Mike Freeman of CBS is saying that the owner's are going to decide to move the Jags to most likely L.A in 2 or 3 years. Of course its not for sure, but I can definitely see that it could be true after going to the Bills v. Jags last year. No fan support and a badly located stadium.

One of the fans dint know who Paul Posluszny was, I know because I was wearing Poz's jersey. Said he never heard of him.

Just so you know, the stadium in LA is not a done deal. In fact its far from done. Various interest groups like the Sierra Club are upset that that proposed stadium was made exempt from environmental impact studies. They will keep the project in the courts until hell freezes over. You will not see a NFL team in LA for another 10 plus years in my opinion.

They were the true darkhorse in the '94 expansion extravaganza. That is, until Weaver offered an 11th hour pot sweetener: 5 years of gauranteed sellouts -i.e. 50% of full gate receipts to all visiting teams. Voila! League membership! I lived there at that time and sure enough, every game was televised locally for the 1st 5 seasons, though you could walk up to the ticket counter every Sunday and purchase a choice seat.

Nothings' changed, except that Weaver won't buy all the tickets anymore.

Baltimore was real ticked off about that. Can't believe it's been that long ago.

Just so you know, the stadium in LA is not a done deal. In fact its far from done. Various interest groups like the Sierra Club are upset that that proposed stadium was made exempt from environmental impact studies. They will keep the project in the courts until hell freezes over. You will not see a NFL team in LA for another 10 plus years in my opinion.

By then Ed Roski will probably have about 20 million dollars to his name.

:thumbsup:

A correction to my post. We see 40,000 at our high school rivalry game. Oklahoma is passionate about football folks. Screw LA! Screw Florida for that matter. Send the Jags our way!!!!!!

Yeah, but how much do those tickets cost? Is anyone paying $100+ to see a high school game? With beer and parking and there are 2 or more of you, maybe $500 eight times a year (or maybe 9)?

Let's get real about these comparisons. It's not a simple question of "football interest" -- of course there's more "football interest" in Buffalo than Jax or LA. It's money. Compare what the other three teams in the AFC East can collect (even MIA) to Buffalo.

And consider this:

Ralph's team has no debt service (that's another kind of "football interest" -- look at Dan Snyder and what the Jets are doing with PSL's). When he dies someone will buy the Bills for nine figures. Whoever that is will not sink all-cash into the team but will borrow some of the purchase money. Every NFL team buyer in at least a generation has done that so don't pretend it won't happen to the Bills franchise.

So this cash-poor team in an unrich community will have to generate another eight figures a year of cash flow -- "another" meaning in addition to the cash flow it has now -- just to stay as cash-poor as it is today.

I love the Bills but that's why I just don't understand how the team can stay in Buffalo after Ralph dies.

UNLESS (a huge "unless") there's no place to move to that will offer the new owner a sweeter deal. Like Baltimore and St. Louis did to get the Browns and Rams. If San Antonio or OKC or Las Vegas or Portland or Anchorage or Beijing or Dusseldorf or Podunk wants to put up the cash . . .

forgot to mention that you are an assumptive person, to ASSUME that because a fan of a team in florida doesnt know who the secondor third yr linebacker from another division, who has been injured for a good part of his career, and hasnt really stood out among the leagues best, as well as played his college football far far from the sec or the acc.

the fact that you ASSUME other teams fans are even close to being on par with the passion for their team and the NFL (as you obviously are) as buffalo bills fan....... then you have never left WNY because once you pass pittsburgh and cleveland, there is huge dropoff in passion and knowledge, believe me half the bronco fans dont even know they traded brandon marshall. seriously.

good try on making an interesting post however. LOL

First, I have many hobbies. So you are the assumptive one here, assuming I dont have a hobby. Second, one of my hobbies include the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Third, I have lived in Florida my whole life so i know the fan support down here is drastically different than up in the northeast. However, you will not find a bigger Bills fan in Florida than I am.

Poz has been one of the best LBs in the league, he just doesnt stand out because he doesnt comment on opponets through the media and has played on a sub-par team, including a subpar defensive line.

Dont assume buddy. You make an ass of yourself. Not me.

First, I have many hobbies. So you are the assumptive one here, assuming I dont have a hobby. Second, one of my hobbies include the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Third, I have lived in Florida my whole life so i know the fan support down here is drastically different than up in the northeast. However, you will not find a bigger Bills fan in Florida than I am.

Poz has been one of the best LBs in the league, he just doesnt stand out because he doesnt comment on opponets through the media and has played on a sub-par team, including a subpar defensive line.

Dont assume buddy. You make an ass of yourself. Not me.

He does that every time he posts. All he does is insult people since he has joined.

From what I recall, the NFL wants TWO teams in LA. And right now, there are two competing stadium groups, one out to the east of the city (that's been covered on TSW) and a recent proposal for one in the area of Staples Center, which would put it right between downtown LA and USC/Colosseum, right off several freeway points and with a Metro stop immediately in front of it. This is a booming section of Los Angeles. The money behind this proposal is Philip Anschutz and that is serious money. So I'd say this one has the best chance of really happening this time.

Oh, and Al Davis has the "rights" to the LA market, so he'd have to approve and be paid. Now that's ironic!

From what I recall, the NFL wants TWO teams in LA. And right now, there are two competing stadium groups, one out to the east of the city (that's been covered on TSW) and a recent proposal for one in the area of Staples Center, which would put it right between downtown LA and USC/Colosseum, right off several freeway points and with a Metro stop immediately in front of it. This is a booming section of Los Angeles. The money behind this proposal is Philip Anschutz and that is serious money. So I'd say this one has the best chance of really happening this time.

Oh, and Al Davis has the "rights" to the LA market, so he'd have to approve and be paid. Now that's ironic!

so 5 teams in Cali? I dont care how big the market is out there, thats just rediculous

so 5 teams in Cali? I dont care how big the market is out there, thats just rediculous

Well, one rumor that keeps coming up year after year is the Chargers moving back to LA. There's also been talk about both the Rams and Raiders returning. And of course, the Bills, Jax and a couple of others are perennially mentioned as moving to LA.

The SF Bay Area has two teams; NYC has two. And DC has two in the general area. So two in LA isn't at all a stretch. There are more people living in the metro LA area than in all the other western STATES combined (if you subtract California itself from that group).

In any case, I don't think Roski's plan will happen but the Anshutz/Liewicke proposal is another matter.

How are the owners going to do that? It's up to Wayne Weaver if he wants to sell the team. And as far as I've heard, he has no plans to do so.

But he's never ruled out moving the team.

And there is nothing stopping the NFL from passing something like minimum payouts to visiting teams based on stadium capacity instead of tickets sales. The NFL can also choose to count the covered seats into that equation.

By increasing his losses, the NFL can force Weaver to sell the team or at least move it.

i have espoused the same feelings regarding this subject. again, if another team moves to LA, i do not believe there are any other viable, realistic markets for an owner to move the bills. i really only considered san antonio, never thought of OKC, could possibly be another jacksonville, i e:, very strong college presence and history. maybe i am too optimistic about the bills remaining in buffalo, but there just are not many options. toronto?, the CFL would die and is the canadian govt going to allow that to happen? also, where would they play?, i think the wgr's and jerry sullivan's are just too fatalistic and people are actually listening to them!