Earthquake in WNY???

linksfiend

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Irondequoit, I was in the dining room of a house built in the 1920's, and the whole house kind of rattled/vibrated for ten or more seconds. I looked to make sure no construction vehicles had pulled in the driveway. Nothing around so I figured it was an earthquake.

Many people did not feel it. Being alone in an old house helped I guess.

When I lived in Hamburg, less than ten miles as the crow flies from Bethlehem Steel, there was a larger event that really shook the house. They used to dump molten slag from the blast furnaces into Lake Erie, and it hardened as it cooled in the water - turning the water to steam. One time apparently the slag formed a pocket that filled with water and hardened over, sealing the water in. The next day, they started the lava slag dump again and it turned the trapped pocket of water into steam.

Ka- Boom!

Shook the whole house like someone set of a bomb in the yard! About ten times more of an impact than today. It took a bit to figure what happened.

Any other old timers remember that? It was probably 1968-70 time frame.

Many people did not feel it.

Yeah, I was at work in Amherst in a single story building and I felt it. Some people in my office felt it, and some did not. My wife was on the second floor of her school in Niagara Falls and no one felt it.

My wife and my father-in=law noticed this morning that the birds were going nuts.

Amazing how we could feel it so far away.

I'm disappointed in you people. Over 40 posts and no one claimed it was them and their wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend in the bedroom that caused it.

Duh ... It only lasted 20 seconds ... who would be proud of that?!?