Oh the horror! We must protect the children!!!

Beerball

no ****. And back then that kid was chubby, not obese like the majority of kids today. I blame video games, MTV, parents. When we were kids we played outside all day. We knew how to entertain ourselves and did not require constant stimulation. This generation is collectively obese, and ADD and diabetes are an epidemic

One other thing I notice is just about every family I know the children are incredibly picky. We ate whatever was put in front of us, no matter if we liked it or not. Throwing away food was not an option

Down the road we'll turn them all into chum.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As was already mentioned, Popeye didn't make kids eat spinach. The Jolly Green Giant doesn't make kids eat Broccoli. The starfish tuna? Vlassic stork? Do talking cows on TV make kids go crazy for milk?

Maybe kids don't have developed taste buds, and like sugar. Maybe parents can smack the little bastards in the back of the head and say no.

Ha! Back in the day (1967-ish), my old man used to take me to Stockman's Tavern on Transit Road and he'd have the bartender put the TV on Channel 12 out of Erie, PA - trying to watch the Bills homes games through staticy snow. I drank orange pop and he did shots and beers. Never got out of control or had bad things happen. Still a nice memory! It was a different time. Not sure I'd do it today with my kid....glad I'm too old to worry about it!

And food? Oh God...my mother used to make salmon patties pan fried in butter...and liver and onions....and potato pancakes, all for dinner. Still like liver and onions, and love potato pancakes, but salmon patties....not so much! She wasn't the greatest cook, but she was an awesome Mom.

I miss them both!

This is what I don't get. So your dad took you to places like that and you turned out all right (I'm making the assumption, here.) So, why is it something you wouldn't do with your kid? I don't get it. I hear that all the time from friends and sisters.

What makes today that much different from yesterday, other than we've all gotten overly paranoid about potential problems? I say take your kids to a bar, teach them how to order drinks properly, how to tip, and let them have some fun. Money says when they eventually get to drinking age/college; they'll be much more responsible.

Ha! Back in the day (1967-ish), my old man used to take me to Stockman's Tavern on Transit Road and he'd have the bartender put the TV on Channel 12 out of Erie, PA - trying to watch the Bills homes games through staticy snow. I drank orange pop and he did shots and beers. Never got out of control or had bad things happen. Still a nice memory! It was a different time. Not sure I'd do it today with my kid....glad I'm too old to worry about it!

That's a nice memory to have. :thumbsup:

Back-in-the-day, now and then a kid would show up with a jug to be filled with draft beer for home consumption.

You are right about different times. Kids hanging in bars was less common than today, I think. Now, in the local places, you can occasionally witness America's prevalent family unit - a single mother with whatever children she was awarded custody of and getting taxpayer $ for support of same. Some are well-mannered - some are not.

"Finish your creamed tuna on toast! Don't you know there's kids starving in China?"

"Well, then can we send this to them?"

Worst beating I ever got. And I was actually being sincere (hey, I was four. I thought sending creamed tuna on toast to China was a matter of handing it to the mailman.)

Parents are so unoriginal when it comes to the starving kids in China.

When I have kids, I'm going to expand their horizons by making them feel guilty about the starving kids in Eritrea and Kiribati.

This is what I don't get. So your dad took you to places like that and you turned out all right (I'm making the assumption, here.) So, why is it something you wouldn't do with your kid? I don't get it. I hear that all the time from friends and sisters.

What makes today that much different from yesterday, other than we've all gotten overly paranoid about potential problems? I say take your kids to a bar, teach them how to order drinks properly, how to tip, and let them have some fun. Money says when they eventually get to drinking age/college; they'll be much more responsible.

Here's the problem with your plan to use a bar to teach kids how to behave in a bar. People don't know how to behave in a bar anymore and though they may learn manners from dad they're going to learn how to drop f-bombs and be an obnoxious ****. Funny but there was article in the Chronicle this morning. Now I know these guys work in clubs but some of their comments are interesting.

From Mike:

What have you learned about people from working in bars?

People can be idiots when they get drunk.

From another Mike:

People suck.

From Sean:

They can't hold their liquor.

Here's the problem with your plan to use a bar to teach kids how to behave in a bar. People don't know how to behave in a bar anymore and though they may learn manners from dad they're going to learn how to drop f-bombs and be an obnoxious ****. Funny but there was article in the Chronicle this morning. Now I know these guys work in clubs but some of their comments are interesting.

From Mike:

From another Mike:

From Sean:

Took my 7 year old daughter into the liquor store with me last weekend and even got some looks from people. Now in my defence I was on my way to my father's 60th B-day party and wanted to get him a 60 pounder of his favorite, Gibson's Finest. It was a scorcher that day and too fricken hot to be sitting in the car waiting.

The guy working the cash asked her for her ID. I said "show him your drivers licence". She comes back with "I left my purse in the car" (as she rolls her eyes).

Which is more ridiculous our generalizations or your accusing us of destroying the earth.

Your generalizations and saying that we are the best, the rest of you have no clue, blah blah blah. The baby boomers constant "me first attitude" has lead to many social ills.

I definitely went overboard on my comment to show you overboard your generalizations sound... I'm happy you followed along Chef.

Congratulations. US teens have the highest obese percentage in the world. Fact. Not generalization. And I am not a baby boomer. I am 41 and Generation X. Not to mention 11% body fat. But keep slinging mud and making your generalizations- don 't let facts or your small sample stop you

Thanks for following along Pete. I guess the sarcasm meter wasn't high enough for you. No shiatzu sherlock.

Your generalizations and saying that we are the best, the rest of you have no clue, blah blah blah. The baby boomers constant "me first attitude" has lead to many social ills.

I definitely went overboard on my comment to show you overboard your generalizations sound... I'm happy you followed along Chef.

And what are these many social ills that us boomers are responsible for.

From Mike:

From another Mike:

From Sean:

Good points and granted I wouldn't say take your child into any and every bar. But, most kids learn all about the f-bombs right at their house long before they ever hear it in public. Besides, was so !@#$ing wrong with a little assertive language from time to time.

But, aren't each of those comments valuable things you should teach your kids? Don't get drunk and be an idiot like that guy. If you can't hold your liquor, don't try and drink it. I learned these kinds of valuable lessons from my dad, some in bars, some in family get togethers, some watching the Bills play in the 80's. Maybe he was wrong to call me an f-ing idiot for sneaking too many beers at my Aunt's wedding (when I was about 10). But, I learned you better hold your liquor or you'll be an f-ing idiot.

In the end it's the parents making the buying decisions. I have a 2 week rule with my 7 and 5 year old. Take-out food once every 2 weeks (usually every second Friday). With very few exceptions, but relaxing the rule, say on vacation. Both children are very active in sports, both organised and at home and they have no problem with the 2 week rule as that's all they know. Now for me? Do as I say, not as I do. :unsure:

Because nowadays there are too many people that have the following attitude (no disrespect intended against this poster, but just pointing out this attitude is more prevalent than in 1967):

" So yesterday I met some friends at my local bar, and there is a father there with his young daughter sitting on a barstool at the bar. WTF? A child never belongs at a bar! A bar should be a place where you can drop F-bombs, tell sordid stories, hook up with a cutie, discuss whatever topic you want no matter how inappropriate, etc- and not have to worry about a child sitting next to you. Take your kids to chucky cheese, not a bar! "

In the end it's the parents making the buying decisions. I have a 2 week rule with my 7 and 5 year old. Take-out food once every 2 weeks (usually every second Friday). With very few exceptions, but relaxing the rule, say on vacation. Both children are very active in sports, both organised and at home and they have no problem with the 2 week rule as that's all they know. Now for me? Do as I say, not as I do. :unsure:

And if people learned how to cook when you took your kids to fast food they'd take one bite and say "dad, this stuff is bad!"

Took my 7 year old daughter into the liquor store with me last weekend and even got some looks from people. Now in my defence I was on my way to my father's 60th B-day party and wanted to get him a 60 pounder of his favorite, Gibson's Finest. It was a scorcher that day and too fricken hot to be sitting in the car waiting.

The guy working the cash asked her for her ID. I said "show him your drivers licence". She comes back with "I left my purse in the car" (as she rolls her eyes).

60 pounder? That is one big bottle of beer. I have heard of Gennie pounders, but a 60?

And if people learned how to cook when you took your kids to fast food they'd take one bite and say "dad, this stuff is bad!"

I grew up with root vegetables as the main part of the diet. Excellent nutrition. As you may recall, a while back I mentioned salsify.

Often went out to school with rutabaga and peanut butter sandwiches.

You cut 1/4" slices from the large end, then boil those until tender. Then, you fried them quick on a hot cast iron skillet to a surface crispness only, using whatever grease was in the can (nobody dumped grease - bacon, meat drippings, cut-off fat - all was saved for future usage). Let them cool, then slather on the pb and wrap 'em with wax paper.

We got a lot of our food from the farm that the general family owned and worked. When the State and eminent domain took it away, there were still the hucksters roaming the streets. Long gone. Same as the fellows who used to hawk produce in the bars. Many were the times that I bought, but my guess is that the government(s) went after them because they couldn't grab taxes, and not being "USDA or FDA" compliant.

What a shame.

I grew up with root vegetables as the main part of the diet. Excellent nutrition. As you may recall, a while back I mentioned salsify.

Often went out to school with rutabaga and peanut butter sandwiches.

You cut 1/4" slices from the large end, then boil those until tender. Then, you fried them quick on a hot cast iron skillet to a surface crispness only, using whatever grease was in the can (nobody dumped grease - bacon, meat drippings, cut-off fat - all was saved for future usage). Let them cool, then slather on the pb and wrap 'em with wax paper.

We got a lot of our food from the farm that the general family owned and worked. When the State and eminent domain took it away, there were still the hucksters roaming the streets. Long gone. Same as the fellows who used to hawk produce in the bars. Many were the times that I bought, but my guess is that the government(s) went after them because they couldn't grab taxes, and not being "USDA or FDA" compliant.

What a shame.

I've found and underground farmers market that roams around SF with people selling things they've made at home. No sales tax, go government regulations just people selling things to people. Probably a lot of bartering going on at these things too.

LOL I am just in a mood for a rant today! One more rant before I head out. So yesterday I met some friends at my local bar, and there is a father there with his young daughter sitting on a barstool at the bar. WTF? A child never belongs at a bar! A bar should be a place where you can drop F-bombs, tell sordid stories, hook up with a cutie, discuss whatever topic you want no matter how inappropriate, etc- and not have to worry about a child sitting next to you. Take your kids to chucky cheese, not a bar!

My father used to be taken to the local bar by his father. The bartender would give him shot glasses of milk.

Not only that, but there were no substitutions provided. If you didn't like what was being served for dinner, you were free to go hungry until breakfast. The kitchen was closed.

One of my cousins when he was younger would only eat hot dogs and McDonalds french fries. So my idiot uncle and aunt would have to go to McDonalds every day for an order of fries instead of just making him eat what they would serve.

Depending on the bar, I have no problem with parents bringing in well behaved children. Certainly some places are completely inappropriate for children and some children shouldn't be brought into any bar. But given the right conditions I favor parents exposing their children to many different atmospheres and people, not keeping them in some sort of protective cocoon.

The Tender Bar is a good read, for those interested.