Brohm's Starting Chances in Buffalo

UPDATE: According to ESPN AFC East blogger Tim Graham, Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey won't name a starting QB before training camp, and even then, it will still be open competition to see who starts Week 1. In answering reader questions on Twitter, ESPN analyst Herm Edwards wrote that Brian Brohm will certainly be given the opportunity to seize the starting job this offseason. Early reports are that Brohm appears comfortable in Gailey's new system, so he might not be ready to concede the job to Trent Edwards just yet.

---

There's a great opportunity for Brohm and Edwards to hit the reset button on their careers this offseason, since the new Gailey regime is taking over in Buffalo. Edwards is who we thought he was, and although he's not the most exciting choice, it seems as though he'll wind up as the man under center this fall. That said, Brohm will have the chance to make his case this summer, and recently, he was taking first-team reps in both 7-on-7 drills and full-bore 11-on-11s as well, per Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News.

Giving his appraisal of the Bills' QB picture as it stood on June 14, Sal Maiorana of the Democrat and Chronicle reiterated his prediction that Edwards will be the starter for the Bills this season, but he is holding out hope that Brohm will one day show some of the talent that convinced the Packers to use a second-round pick on him in 2008.

ESPN's John Clayton thinks that confidence could be the issue with Brohm:

John Clayton

Destined for the UFL?

"It was pretty clear in Green Bay that Matt Flynn, a seventh-round choice, looked better than Brohm. That was noticeable from the first minicamp in Green Bay. It's hard to say what went wrong so far with Brohm. He seemed to lack confidence in the opportunities he has had. That's one of the problems in the NFL. If you don't grab those opportunities, they'll get away from you, and all of a sudden you find yourself on a UFL roster hoping to get back into the NFL."

...ESPN's John Clayton thinks that confidence could be the issue with Brohm:

John Clayton

Destined for the UFL?

"It was pretty clear in Green Bay that Matt Flynn, a seventh-round choice, looked better than Brohm. That was noticeable from the first minicamp in Green Bay. It's hard to say what went wrong so far with Brohm. He seemed to lack confidence in the opportunities he has had. That's one of the problems in the NFL. If you don't grab those opportunities, they'll get away from you, and all of a sudden you find yourself on a UFL roster hoping to get back into the NFL."

Hey, it worked just fine for our former FIRST ROUND bust, Lost-man. He's getting reps in the OTA's for Seattle right now. If Brohm gets dumped by the Bills, he should follow J.P's footsteps and put on one of those God-awful ugly UFL uniforms immediately.

I don't have access to Insider. Can someone please summarize- unless of course it's just a bunch of speculative drivel!

You do have access to the Snooze, which is what they're charging you money to paraphrase, however...

Brohm will be interesting to watch. He had a very good college career and came out highly ranked in the draft but hasn't had any success in the NFL so far. This is a great opportunity for him. Without reading any scouting reports,my impression is he has a similar skill set to Edwards,but was much more productive in college. Hopefully one of these guys will grab hold of the job and win it,rather than just being picked to start cuz because he screwed up less than the other guy.

Most "insiders" get it by subscribing to ESPN the Mag. But yeah a lot of people do and it's all regurgitated info.

Good avatar Bill. that call was pure BS. We should be at 4 points now and not 2. fricken biased ref. It's good to see I'm not the only one enjoying the World Cup. It's a different type of "football" but it has it's own strategy and skills. Overall even tho i know more about USA football, i believe soccer requires more skill and endurance.

UPDATE: According to ESPN AFC East blogger Tim Graham, Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey won't name a starting QB before training camp, and even then, it will still be open competition to see who starts Week 1. In answering reader questions on Twitter, ESPN analyst Herm Edwards wrote that Brian Brohm will certainly be given the opportunity to seize the starting job this offseason. Early reports are that Brohm appears comfortable in Gailey's new system, so he might not be ready to concede the job to Trent Edwards just yet.

---

There's a great opportunity for Brohm and Edwards to hit the reset button on their careers this offseason, since the new Gailey regime is taking over in Buffalo. Edwards is who we thought he was, and although he's not the most exciting choice, it seems as though he'll wind up as the man under center this fall. That said, Brohm will have the chance to make his case this summer, and recently, he was taking first-team reps in both 7-on-7 drills and full-bore 11-on-11s as well, per Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News.

Giving his appraisal of the Bills' QB picture as it stood on June 14, Sal Maiorana of the Democrat and Chronicle reiterated his prediction that Edwards will be the starter for the Bills this season, but he is holding out hope that Brohm will one day show some of the talent that convinced the Packers to use a second-round pick on him in 2008.

ESPN's John Clayton thinks that confidence could be the issue with Brohm:

John Clayton

Destined for the UFL?

So in a nutshell it'll be Trent Edwards..which I already figured seeing that he is still here and this organization doesn't like to admit when they make a mistake and like to spend a decade repeating the same mistakes over and over again! Even if T.E. performs well in the training camp and pre-season I know that at least so far he is a very poor QB when it's cold, when it's raining, in the fog, or on away games, and at Toronto, when the O-line has injuries, when he has minor boo-boos, after a concussion, when he has to answer to more than one coach, when it's windy, against playoff teams, on the west coast, in florida, and on the east coast. He is good in week #1 or #2 if they play at home, it's partly sunny, about 67 degrees, little wind, and the Bills are playing a bad team like Oakland, St. Louis, or Detroit, and the O-line gives him all day, and the WR's are wide open....in those instances he's good for 180 yards and at least 1 TD!!!! Too bad we have to waste another year to reach the same conclusion that we've reached the past couple of years once again!!! :)

So in a nutshell it'll be Trent Edwards..which I already figured seeing that he is still here and this organization doesn't like to admit when they make a mistake and like to spend a decade repeating the same mistakes over and over again! Even if T.E. performs well in the training camp and pre-season I know that at least so far he is a very poor QB when it's cold, when it's raining, in the fog, or on away games, and at Toronto, when the O-line has injuries, when he has minor boo-boos, after a concussion, when he has to answer to more than one coach, when it's windy, against playoff teams, on the west coast, in florida, and on the east coast. He is good in week #1 or #2 if they play at home, it's partly sunny, about 67 degrees, little wind, and the Bills are playing a bad team like Oakland, St. Louis, or Detroit, and the O-line gives him all day, and the WR's are wide open....in those instances he's good for 180 yards and at least 1 TD!!!! Too bad we have to waste another year to reach the same conclusion that we've reached the past couple of years once again!!! :)

For a while now i've wanted Trent to grow a set and show everyone up. Perhaps it's not meant to be. Give him a chance under the new offense and see what happens before lambasting him. In my opinion he's on a short leash, but don't skewer him just yet. Everyone needs a chance under a new regime. If Trent fails I think Gailey will be quick to turn to the next qb and see what he has to offer. I really doubt Gailey see's SB potential in any of the qb's we have this year. He's just working with what he has and maximizing his current talent. Nothing wrong with that.

For a while now i've wanted Trent to grow a set and show everyone up. Perhaps it's not meant to be. Give him a chance under the new offense and see what happens before lambasting him. In my opinion he's on a short leash, but don't skewer him just yet. Everyone needs a chance under a new regime. If Trent fails I think Gailey will be quick to turn to the next qb and see what he has to offer. I really doubt Gailey see's SB potential in any of the qb's we have this year. He's just working with what he has and maximizing his current talent. Nothing wrong with that.

That might explain why he drafted a RB with our # 9 pick this year and picked up a 270 Lbs blocking TE, it's time to run.

Brohm will be interesting to watch. He had a very good college career and came out highly ranked in the draft but hasn't had any success in the NFL so far. This is a great opportunity for him. Without reading any scouting reports,my impression is he has a similar skill set to Edwards,but was much more productive in college. Hopefully one of these guys will grab hold of the job and win it,rather than just being picked to start cuz because he screwed up less than the other guy.

Your post sums up the state of the Bills' QBs. Nobody on this team will win the job. The starter will be the lesser of 4 evils. Even though I have completely written off Brian Brohm's chances of ever being a successful NFL QB, if he's the least evil of our QBs, he could end up as our starter. However, if he does, his stint as the starter & as a Bills QB will eventually mirror the stint of Bruce Mathison-starter one year, waived the next.

Well said. There is only so much we can do in a given offseason. Chan will get all he can out of these guys.

Your post sums up the state of the Bills' QBs. Nobody on this team will win the job. The starter will be the lesser of 4 evils. Even though I have completely written off Brian Brohm's chances of ever being a successful NFL QB, if he's the least evil of our QBs, he could end up as our starter. However, if he does, his stint as the starter & as a Bills QB will eventually mirror the stint of Bruce Mathison-starter one year, waived the next.

That's the spirit!

One of those fans who root for the Bills to lose at the end of the year to get a better draft pick.

To say none of these quarterbacks has the potential to be a solid starting quarterback is nonsense. And then Brohm, "completely written off" , compared to Bruce Mathison!

It can't be brohm, he has no chance. If you haven't read this board yet its apparent to all the "keyboard GM's" here that brohm is complete garbage because the Packers let him go and he cleared waivers before becoming a Bill. Obviously he should just retire because even though he was a 2nd rounder who could have been a 1st rounder, and had a great college career at a decent school, his NFL career has already been determined by guys who haven't even seen him at OTA's and practices like the Bills FO. I can't believe the Bills FO still have jobs when the fans here can already determine a players worth without even seeing as much as the coaches do

That's the spirit!

One of those fans who root for the Bills to lose at the end of the year to get a better draft pick.

To say none of these quarterbacks has the potential to be a solid starting quarterback is nonsense. And then Brohm, "completely written off" , compared to Bruce Mathison!

I am deeply sorry for my comparison of Brian Brohm to Bruce Mathison.

Dear Mr Mathison,

If you are viewing this board I apologize to you for comparing you with Brian Brohm. Mr. Mathison, you started 7 games in the NFL & and Brian Brohm has and probably only will have 1 NFL start before he joins you in retirement as an NFL player. I will refrain from any further insults to you, Mr. Mathison by comparing you any further to a player with only one NFL start.

As for rooting for the Bills to lose to get a better pick, if the Bills are 2-13 going into week 17 against the Jets and have a shot at the 1st pick with a chance of finally getting a franchise QB if they lose the game you're damn right I'm going to root for the Jets. Heck, I might just go down to the game & root in person. Anyone who would rather get win 3,4, or 5 in a totally lost season, just to say something like "Yeah, we beat the Jets" doesn't understand why we've been so bad for so long. Go ahead & trot out the Couchs, Leafs & Akili Smiths, but if a guy comparable to a Manning or Aikman is available next year & one more lousy loss assures us the rights to draft him I'll stand by my choice.

It can't be brohm, he has no chance. If you haven't read this board yet its apparent to all the "keyboard GM's" here that brohm is complete garbage because the Packers let him go and he cleared waivers before becoming a Bill. Obviously he should just retire because even though he was a 2nd rounder who could have been a 1st rounder, and had a great college career at a decent school, his NFL career has already been determined by guys who haven't even seen him at OTA's and practices like the Bills FO. I can't believe the Bills FO still have jobs when the fans here can already determine a players worth without even seeing as much as the coaches do

The GUY responsible for bringing Brohm here does not still have his job.

The coaches in GB who saw Brohm every day for over a year had no fear they were making a mistake when they cut him last September. Being a former #2 pick they probably expected to lose him and didn't care, otherwise they wouldn't have waived him in the 1st place. GB has a pretty good coaching staff.

Just because he's in the mix with a bunch of other losers doesn't mean anything. As I've said, he could "win" the job this year & be gone before next season.

The coaches in GB who saw Brohm every day for over a year had no fear they were making a mistake when they cut him last September. Being a former #2 pick they probably expected to lose him and didn't care, otherwise they wouldn't have waived him in the 1st place. GB has a pretty good coaching staff.

Yes and no. The Packers had decided like they did before, to keep only two quarterbacks on their active roster when most all teams keep three. So on a normal team, Brohm would not have been cut. Second, people make a big thing out of Brohm being beaten out by a seventh round pick but Matt Flynn was no ordinary seventh rounder.

Flynn was stuck at LSU behind two guys who were drafted to play QB in the NFL, including the #1 overall pick. He only played one year and was excellent. They drafted him knowing obviously they had alrea

The GUY responsible for bringing Brohm here does not still have his job.

Just because he's in the mix with a bunch of other losers doesn't mean anything. As I've said, he could "win" the job this year & be gone before next season.

What was their choice? They were only going to keep 2 GB's, one being the guy who is already the #1, Aaron Rogers, and then its between Brohm and Flynn. They decided they saw more in Flynn so the only choice was to waive brohm to get him on the practice squad or waive Flynn. Just because he wasn't picked up by another team doesn't mean anything, not everyone has open roster spots that they are willing to use to take a chance on a QB, the Bills did.

Mo one is saying the Bills have the next Manning or Brady or Brees on their hands, all people are saying is to not right off Brohm, he has just as much of a chance to become the Bills next Qb as the other 2 guys, and he has the background to possibly become a decent QB