Coming from out of town to a game.

Just wanted to know if anyone could give me information if I were to visit from out of town for a game. I've been a Bills fan all my life and never been to a game (shameful, I know) and I want to finally go to one this year. Do you have any informaiton on hotels, tailgating, or just simply what to do in the area for the weekend? It doens't sound like there's much to do but I figure you all would know best. Thanks for any information you can provide.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What to do in Buffalo? You are kidding?

You staying down town?

Lot 1 pole 5. for tailgating or Hammer's.

Duffs for wings or Anchor's Bar

Gabriel's Gate

The Zoo

**** Wine trail *****

brew pub

Just wanted to know if anyone could give me information if I were to visit from out of town for a game. I've been a Bills fan all my life and never been to a game (shameful, I know) and I want to finally go to one this year. Do you have any informaiton on hotels, tailgating, or just simply what to do in the area for the weekend? It doens't sound like there's much to do but I figure you all would know best. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Get a hotel downtown. Stay near Chippawa St. That way you can walk to lots of fun stuff. The stadium is only 20 minutes drive.

Not much to do? What do you want to do? Drink? Finding fun bars and clubs in Buffalo is like finding sand in the Sahara. If you are coming to a game after September the Sabres will be playing. They may have a game the same weekend. Then there is college sports: UB, Canisius and Niagara. Art? The Symphony? A "Forgotten Buffalo" tour? There is PLENTY to do in Buffalo.

My tip on parking is skip the stadium lots and park at a private lot. Cheaper, easier exit. I would also recommend skipping the grilling and just hit the Wegman's supermarket on McKinley Blvd. They have a HUGE food-to-go section. Almost anything you can think of, and better than anything you can make yourself.

Once at the game, take in the ambiance of the lots but head to the fieldhouse. See the Bills pre-game show live and take part in some of the fun activities; kick a FG, catch a pass from a JUGS machine, see the Bills hall of fame players pictures on the walls.

PTR

Get a hotel downtown. Stay near Chippawa St. That way you can walk to lots of fun stuff. The stadium is only 20 minutes drive.

Not much to do? What do you want to do? Drink? Finding fun bars and clubs in Buffalo is like finding sand in the Sahara. If you are coming to a game after September the Sabres will be playing. They may have a game the same weekend. Then there is college sports: UB, Canisius and Niagara. Art? The Symphony? A "Forgotten Buffalo" tour? There is PLENTY to do in Buffalo.

My tip on parking is skip the stadium lots and park at a private lot. Cheaper, easier exit. I would also recommend skipping the grilling and just hit the Wegman's supermarket on McKinley Blvd. They have a HUGE food-to-go section. Almost anything you can think of, and better than anything you can make yourself.

Once at the game, take in the ambiance of the lots but head to the fieldhouse. See the Bills pre-game show live and take part in some of the fun activities; kick a FG, catch a pass from a JUGS machine, see the Bills hall of fame players pictures on the walls.

PTR

Don't tailgate??!! Poor advice! If you are coming from Canada you can't take meat over the border. Buy it here. I would suggest a Mighty Taco run on your way out of town after the game.

Don't tailgate??!! Poor advice! If you are coming from Canada you can't take meat over the border. Buy it here. I would suggest a Mighty Taco run on your way out of town after the game.

I didn't say don't tailgate. I said don't make your food at the stadium. Buy it already made at Wegman's. Easier. Tastes better. Less hassle. Just my opinion.

PTR

I hate that, there's tons to do.

Get to the lots when they open (8 AM). Bring a grill, food, alcohol if you're into that. Pay the 25 bucks and park in an official lot. Party your tail off so when we lose in heartbreaking fashion it isn't as bad.

Why pay $25 when you can pay $20 at Hammer's Lot and not having to worry about your car being broken in to!

Get to the lots when they open (8 AM). Bring a grill, food, alcohol if you're into that. Pay the 25 bucks and park in an official lot. Party your tail off so when we lose in heartbreaking fashion it isn't as bad.

Don't drink too much before the game. If you want to clearly remember the whole experience, especially as a first timer, play it cool. :rolleyes:

I have seen many people make the mistake of barely remembering the game they were so messed up.

Lot One Pole 5 for TBD official home tailgate (except for the first home game) and "Pinto Ron" every Sunday.

If you go to the home opener, you will run into the most TBD people at Hammer's Lot. Check the Tailgate East forum.

I love how people say there's so much to do and then recommend Chippewa. Yeah there's so much to do if you are an actual cast member of the Jersey Shore or wear a black leather jacket with an Italian horn chain, you have a chinstrap beard, go tanning regularly, are from Buffalo and still live in the suburbs, will look for chicks until 4 AM and then when you strike out, you will punch someone in the face out of spite, you do a lot of coke, etc. Chippewa is something that Buffalo should be utterly ashamed of. Granted I haven't been out on Chippewa since probably 2002 but I'm certain it hasn't changed.

I love how people say there's so much to do and then recommend Chippewa. Yeah there's so much to do if you are an actual cast member of the Jersey Shore or wear a black leather jacket with an Italian horn chain, you have a chinstrap beard, go tanning regularly, are from Buffalo and still live in the suburbs, will look for chicks until 4 AM and then when you strike out, you will punch someone in the face out of spite, you do a lot of coke, etc. Chippewa is something that Buffalo should be utterly ashamed of. Granted I haven't been out on Chippewa since probably 2002 but I'm certain it hasn't changed.

Ignore this if you are from out of town. Over generalization.

So you're saying Chippewa has changed? I didn't say there wasn't plenty to do in Buffalo, but unless you fit that description, I would avoid Chippewa altogether.

There are plenty of places on chip where people who fit that description frequent. I have taken out of town friends DT who also do not fit that description who have a great time. Especially if you arent from a city that has a party district.

It's just beef you can't take over the border.

Duff's if you want the best wings, Anchor Bar if you want a better atmosphere.

Go see the Falls, it's less than 30 mins from downtown.

Agree with BillyBaroo up there, grab some Mighty Taco on the way out of town. But, I would have a bathroom ready within an hour. :rolleyes:

I am also a non-Buffalonian Buffalo Bill fan who is hoping to make it to a game this year. I plan on seeing them whip KC on Haloween. Arrowhead is the closest stadium to my home in Tulsa, other than Dallas.

I've only been to one game. It was the home game (1980?) when we finally broke a long losing streak against Miami and the crowd tore down the goal posts. I was eight years old, not a huge fan yet, and the only thing I remember from that game is freezing my southern fried chicken tenders off!

Is there any other out of town fans who will be going to see the Bills play this year? Anyone who wants to meet me at Arrowhead? I'll be the only Bill fan in my group. I would LOVE to visit my family and catch a home game, but that probably wont happen this year.

I am very excited about 2010! I think we will field a much stronger team this year. Short of a couple of key positions, the Bills are loaded with talent, and I have a lot of confidence in Gaily/Nix. I sure expect him to be out for blood in KC!!!

To the original poster: Best advice I've seen yet is to regulate your alcohol - wouldn't want to spoil the day. Have Fun! I wish I could be there.

GO BILLS!!!