OT: DVD burning software

TracyLee

OK - I've been looking at this darned 33 page thread but haven't read it yet. Please, before I waste my afternoon totally - is it worth the time to read?

144880[/snapback]

I'm up to page 11 and it's worth it. Kind of like hitting your head against a wall. Sure at first it hurts, but after a while you get used to it and actually start to enjoy it.

Problem is, if they keep posting at this rate, I'll never catch up.

OK - I've been looking at this darned 33 page thread but haven't read it yet. Please, before I waste my afternoon totally - is it worth the time to read?

144880[/snapback]

NO!! If you or your children have ever done anything even remotely illegal, even if it's not enforceable, don't get involved in this thread lest you are prepared to be thoroughly judged by the high and mighty and the holier-than-thou-never-do-anything-remotely-wrong-in-their entire-life fellows on this board. :devil: .

I'm up to page 11 and it's worth it. Kind of like hitting your head against a wall. Sure at first it hurts, but after a while you get used to it and actually start to enjoy it.

Problem is, if they keep posting at this rate, I'll never catch up.

144920[/snapback]

The BF portion is like JEsus in the Big Lebowski...has no real part in it, nothing would change if he was not in there, but man it really makes the movie work...

you can disable the sharing aspect of kazaa

144901[/snapback]

And you can turn the computer off, or unplug the ethernet cable. Doesn't mean it always happens when it should.

And a question: what's the default setting for the kazaa software? Sharing enabled, or disabled?

And you can turn the computer off, or unplug the ethernet cable.  Doesn't mean it always happens when it should.

And a question: what's the default setting for the kazaa software?  Sharing enabled, or disabled?

144928[/snapback]

enabled...you designate a sharing folder....all items in this folder are up for grabs, so you can either move all your files out of there or hit the disable button.....

And you can turn the computer off, or unplug the ethernet cable.  Doesn't mean it always happens when it should.

And a question: what's the default setting for the kazaa software?  Sharing enabled, or disabled?

144928[/snapback]

of course, enabled - its what makes the sharing possible.

But you can turn it off, really. The problem is, some people wont let you DL off of them if you aren't sharing (no mooches allowed).

You're going to say you still have a connection to the net, but you really can turn it completely off. And its VERY easy to do.

NO!! If you or your children have ever done anything even remotely illegal, even if it's not enforceable, don't get involved in this thread lest you are prepared to be thoroughly judged by the high and mighty and the holier-than-thou-never-do-anything-remotely-wrong-in-their entire-life fellows on this board.  :devil: .

144924[/snapback]

You know, this thread wouldn't have been nearly as holier-than-thou if BF hadn't chimed in. I question what you're doing in this case, but don't fault you for it (primarily because I don't understand your reasoning as a parent on this issue). But BF's an idiot whose posts beg for holier-than-thou responses...simply because the dumbest turnip in the bushel can't help but be arrogant when talking with such an extreme pez-head.

As long as you dont put your blood in a plastic cup and throw it at Ron Artest........

144915[/snapback]

Would that make him take after me like a crazy man knock me down and smack three or four other bystanders too? Oh dear! I'll take your advice. In my weakend condition I might have trouble reaching my lawyer. :devil:

The BF portion is like JEsus in the Big Lebowski...has no real part in it, nothing would change if he was not in there, but man it really makes the movie work...

144925[/snapback]

"What is this "day of rest" sh--? What is this stevestojan, man? I don't !@#$ing care! It don't matter to Jesus! But you're not fooling me! You might fool the !@#$s in the league office, but you don't fool Jesus! It's bush league psych-out stuff! Laughable, man! I would've !@#$ed you in the ass Saturday, I'll !@#$ you in the ass next Wednesday instead!"

I'll tell you one thing: back in the day, I had a Commodore 64. I had like five other friends who had one too. I never paid for software, andd I KNEW it was wrong. But it was so damned expensive, I didn't care.

And guess what? I was younger than her son.

Now I don't do it any more, but you get the point. This kid knows what he's doing is wrong and his mom is letting him do it. My mom didn't have a clue, and yet I didn't grow up to be a thief.

Maybe a night or two in the klink with 'Twan will straighten the kid out. :devil:

"What is this "day of rest" sh--? What is this stevestojan, man? I don't !@#$ing care! It don't matter to Jesus! But you're not fooling me! You might fool the !@#$s in the league office, but you don't fool Jesus! It's bush league psych-out stuff! Laughable, man! I would've !@#$ed you in the ass Saturday, I'll !@#$ you in the ass next Wednesday instead!"

144949[/snapback]

LMFAO...

Don' f*ck with the Jesus, mah....

That's one of the reasons I brought up, many pages ago, the issue of whether or not the computer stays on and connected to the net.  It is possible, in this context, to be distributing material without intent or even knowledge of doing it (computer stays on and connected, KaZaa's running, others can log in and retreive files...)

144897[/snapback]

I already said that his computer is not on 24/7. You musta missed that page! Kazaa is only on when being used (it's not left running in the background). At any rate his computer is only powered on at most 2.5 hours a day, obviously a little longer on the weekends. For the last time, he is not distributing!! He does not share, sharing his files is disabled! Got it?

of course, enabled - its what makes the sharing possible.

But you can turn it off, really. The problem is, some people wont let you DL off of them if you aren't sharing (no mooches allowed).

You're going to say you still have a connection to the net, but you really can turn it completely off. And its VERY easy to do.

144933[/snapback]

No, I wasn't going to say that at all.

What I was going to say is that it's one of the problems I have with the law. The software, as installed, requires someone to exercise specific intent not to break the law: for someone who leaves their computer on and connected, with kazaa at the default settings, mens rea is automatically assumed even if they never formed any sort of intent to share copyrighted files. Quite the contrary, you have to form the specific intent not to break the law. Seems backwards to me...

Of course, I would assume that you specifically have to specify which files you'd share through kazaa (it doesn't just open your whole system for sharing, in other words), and intent by the individual would be demonstrated through that action. But I'm surprised RIAA or MPAA haven't tried attacking kazaa on that point yet. (I wouldn't support a suit against kazaa on that point, mind you...but it seems like a decent lawyer could argue the point in court.)