***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

The diving still turns me off to soccer. I used to play club teams when it wasnt football season, so its not like I dont understand the game.

I wouldn't classify myself as an avid fan but probably more interested than a casual fan. My ideas for rule changes are:

1. Diving. It's too hard for the referee to adequately determine diving. So create a 4 or 6 person tribunal to review dives. Majority vote. Fine players who are caught diving a percentage of their pay. I have no idea how soccer players are paid (by game, cap, bonuses, etc) but I'm sure a fair way to do this can be determined.

2. Pull-Up offsides. Add a line about 10-15 yards outside the penalty area. Call it the attack line. On first advancement into the area, normal offsides rules are in place. But once the ball reaches within 6 yards of the endline (the width of the goal box), offsides no longer applies until the ball is cleared beyond the attack line.

3. Goalies have 6 seconds to play the ball after controlling it. No punting. Maybe dropkicks, maybe not. Otherwise just one arm throws.

4. Once the ball is retrieved, maybe 6 seconds on goal kicks also. None of this waiting while everyone walks half-way down the field.

5. Only allow FIFA endorsed vuvuzelas that are designed to go to maybe 90-95 dB. None of these 120 dB nightmares.

What do you think?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fans should be furnished with multiple complete brass sections and megaphones, but I do like the spirit, if not the letter of your rules. Offsides is a potential tool for a corrupt referee, and often negates game winning goals.

I dunno if im with you on rule number 4, as teams could just pas back and forth and stall in their own zone.

I wouldn't classify myself as an avid fan but probably more interested than a casual fan. My ideas for rule changes are:

1. Diving. It's too hard for the referee to adequately determine diving. So create a 4 or 6 person tribunal to review dives. Majority vote. Fine players who are caught diving a percentage of their pay. I have no idea how soccer players are paid (by game, cap, bonuses, etc) but I'm sure a fair way to do this can be determined.

I just think a suspension would work better. Just to note, for the WC and Euro cup, these players are not paid therefore it doesn't change anything either way.

2. Pull-Up offsides. Add a line about 10-15 yards outside the penalty area. Call it the attack line. On first advancement into the area, normal offsides rules are in place. But once the ball reaches within 6 yards of the endline (the width of the goal box), offsides no longer applies until the ball is cleared beyond the attack line.

The offside trap is one of the most difficult yet smartest strategies to implement. The best strikers in the world get goals by beating the offside trap. I think you'd fundamentally change the game. I don't think offsides are the problem.

3. Goalies have 6 seconds to play the ball after controlling it. No punting. Maybe dropkicks, maybe not. Otherwise just one arm throws.

That's already the rule I believe?

4. Once the ball is retrieved, maybe 6 seconds on goal kicks also. None of this waiting while everyone walks half-way down the field.

If you're implementing this rule to prevent time wasting, keep in mind that the ref already adds the wasted time to the clock and is adjusted in stoppage time.

5. Only allow FIFA endorsed vuvuzelas that are designed to go to maybe 90-95 dB. None of these 120 dB nightmares.

Strongly agree. I prefer the Euro atmosphere where firecrackers and stuff is set on fire. Screw the vuvuzelas.

What do you think?

Good post. I hate the soccer offsides rule. Of the 4-5 times per game that a team might actually get a scoring chance, 2-3 are negated by the retarded rule of having the defenders run up to trigger an "offsides".

As for the diving, they simply need to make a rule that if you fall down and cry like a B word, you're on the bench for 30 minutes of game time. That would stop 95% of all flops. if your team is out of substitutions, tough ****, you play a man down. That would put a definite stop to this pansy ass flopping and diving and rolling around only to get up and be running perfectly 10 seconds later.

Italy looked flat today, but they did seem to find some form as the game went on. They will still most likely win the group and could be dangerous by the round of 16.

Same thing for the Dutch. That was a sloppy game. They will show better than that. It is still very early in this tournament.

By the way, I hope that Danish defender is ashamed of himself for standing around as Kuyt ran past him to tap in that crushing second goal for the Dutch. What is this, gym class? It's the !@#$ing World Cup, you moron!

I know what you wrote. I was just adding how terrible the commentators are...

What is there to work with? 90 minutes and there are long stretches of boredom... What do you want them to say? Put all the highlights and the plays they actually can comment on well... What % of the game do you think that is? I gotta estimate maybe 5%... ???

I really do watch and do enjoy especially the WC because there is a lot of national pride on the line and the teams are playing for something really prestigous.

I lasted for about 10 minutes watching today's Ger. - Aus. game before the buzzing got to me.

I'm only going to bother with the England games (whilst down the pub and where the noise is drowned out anyway by the cheering/booing/swearing/etc). Those things just give me a headache and without any sound loses all the atmosphere with the game.

Freaking things.

I agree that the diving is a huge turnoff to the game as a whole. Unfortunately it's taught at almost every level. I was in an international tournament when I was a kid and almost every other countries teams were diving all over the place (these were 14 year old kids). Took us all off guard because we had never seen it before. Luckily there were US refs, and they caught on pretty quick and just let the kids lay there until they realized there would be no stoppage (miraculously they always jumped up and started running as if nothing happened).

Anyway, not sure if there's a way to fix it. As you said, during the game they have to react to the possibility of a real injury. A post game review seems fair, I just don't see anything like that happening. Too much controversy involved.

I see both sides of this argument. On one side it does seem disappointing that so many scoring opportunities are taken away, but on the other it is a huge part of the strategy of the game. It would be like taking away blitzes in football just because it makes it so hard for the offense to get big passing plays. In the end I think it's just too much a part of the game to take away (or try to curb so much).

I disagree on these. It seems people who aren't used to soccer want to speed up the game, but even as played soccer is one of the most physically demanding sports you can play. Other sports, especially the big American sports, have plenty of time stoppages throughout the games (huddles, timeouts, free throws, face-offs, etc...) I don't see these as any different.

They need to ban the damn things and be done with it. There would be no way to monitor which dB vuvuzela people were bringing in and it's too much effort anyway. They're not a problem anywhere but S America, and I doubt the WC heads back there any time soon.

Italy looked flat today, but they did seem to find some form as the game went on. They will still most likely win the group and could be dangerous by the round of 16.

Same thing for the Dutch. That was a sloppy game. They will show better than that. It is still very early in this tournament.

By the way, I hope that Danish defender is ashamed of himself for standing around as Kuyt ran past him to tap in that crushing second goal for the Dutch. What is this, gym class? It's the !@#$ing World Cup, you moron!

Italy played better than i expected. This team is not even close to the team from 4 years ago but good tactics might get us to the quarters.

They will finish second in the group and face holland in the first round of the knockout. Should be interesting.

Next game is a win, game after that is a tie.

Good post. I hate the soccer offsides rule. Of the 4-5 times per game that a team might actually get a scoring chance, 2-3 are negated by the retarded rule of having the defenders run up to trigger an "offsides".

The thing about that is, if you screw up, it's a goal.

Italy played better than i expected. This team is not even close to the team from 4 years ago but good tactics might get us to the quarters.

They will finish second in the group and face holland in the first round of the knockout. Should be interesting.

Next game is a win, game after that is a tie.

When you say "us"... Who are you rooting for meazza? Italy??

When you say "us"... Who are you rooting for meazza? Italy??

Of course :flirt:

My nephew's bris is Sunday morning at 8:00 AM. The Italy - New Zealand is 10:00 AM. Have to find a way to escape.

Of course :lol:

My nephew's bris is Sunday morning at 8:00 AM. The Italy - New Zealand is 10:00 AM. Have to find a way to escape.

:lol: I didn't know... I was looking all over to see if Canada was in it... :cry: I knew you were of Italian roots, yet didn't know you take it to this extreme. That is wonderful! This is what's so great about the WC!! :flirt::thumbsup:

Of course :flirt:

Secretly drink more than is reasonable Sat. night. Then, pass off your Sunday morning hangover as "some kind of virus I think." Nobody will want you around a crowd of people which includes little kids if you are sick. This is called the "Old Milwaukee Flu" technique. :thumbsup:

Secretly drink more than is reasonable Sat. night. Then, pass off your Sunday morning hangover as "some kind of virus I think." Nobody will want you around a crowd of people which includes little kids if you are sick. This is called the "Old Milwaukee Flu" technique. :thumbsup:

That won't work. My family will never forgive me for doing that :flirt:

I will simply setup a tv in one of the rooms with the game. I think they will catch on when they hear me yelling at the TV. Similar to how I was yelling when Cannavaro and De Rossi both looked shocked on a free kick.

Hope Buffon is back for Sunday.

Does anyone know if Drogba is a definite scratch for tomorrow (or the whole Cup, at that)?

Last I heard, they were trying to find the right cast for him to wear so that he could play.