***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So South America gets 5 WC slots for 12 countries? That seems a tad biased. Seems to me they should take at least one away.

I'm not saying it's fair for CONCACAF teams but by taking away a south american slot right now you are lessening the WC level.

I'm really not familiar with teams of the CONCACAF but outside of U.S.A. and Mexico, what teams would pass the first round? What Honduras showed was very poor. Costa Rica had a nice player a couple of years back and Jamaica was awful when they played in the 1998 WC.

I'm not talking about this year. What I'm talking about is this WC has gotten people really interested in this sport. More interest, more money, more players, more talent. That all leads to yet another arena in which we dominate the world.

Except people say this every 4 years and it never happens. It's no more popular this year than it was in '94 when we hosted. In August we'll go back to not caring, just like gymnastics, swimming, and every olympic sport.

Except people say this every 4 years and it never happens. It's no more popular this year than it was in '94 when we hosted. In August we'll go back to not caring, just like gymnastics, swimming, and every olympic sport.

Except this year, OJ didn't kill his wife and Ron, which immediately took over our pea brained american attenion. Go through my posts, I was/am always the first to bash kickball, but this year seems different. I'm probably wrong, so be it. But comparing soccer to gymnastics.. really? There's still a ton about soccer that is ridiculous. Mainly having to lay down and cry to get a penalty called and that offsides in soccer is like holding in football, whereas you could call it on every play. But I argue that this is the year many of us got sucked into this game.

Those that don't care about the sport don't pay attention to its growth anyway. The fact of the matter is that it's significantly more popular in the states now than it was in '94, and there are many indicators of that.

Good video that explains offside in soccer, for those of us just trying to get into the sport.

that said, it's the most ridiculous rule in all of sports. Don't want me to cherry pick? Defend me. Maybe you'd have more than 2 goals total more than 1 in 1000 games.

Those that don't care about the sport don't pay attention to its growth anyway. The fact of the matter is that it's significantly more popular in the states now than it was in '94, and there are many indicators of that.

I agree with you. And so does this guy:

Except this year, OJ didn't kill his wife and Ron, which immediately took over our pea brained american attenion. Go through my posts, I was/am always the first to bash kickball, but this year seems different. I'm probably wrong, so be it. But comparing soccer to gymnastics.. really? There's still a ton about soccer that is ridiculous. Mainly having to lay down and cry to get a penalty called and that offsides in soccer is like holding in football, whereas you could call it on every play. But I argue that this is the year many of us got sucked into this game.

I just threw out '94 as one example. Could've just as easily mentioned "monumental upsets" of "superpowers" Portugal and Spain. ..nobody even remembers or cares less than a decade later.

It seems like those indicators you speak of are always youth-based statistics. Some English guy on another board is trying to make himself feel better by saying the US has more kids playing than the UK. Of course what he doesn't realize is our good athletes switch to other sports as soon as they realize those other sports will get them laid.

It seems like those indicators you speak of are always youth-based statistics. Some English guy on another board is trying to make himself feel better by saying the US has more kids playing than the UK. Of course what he doesn't realize is our good athletes switch to other sports as soon as they realize those other sports will get them laid.

As an example I'm 38. I don't know ANYBODY my age that didn't at some point play some form of organized soccer. But I know very few that stuck with it all through high school.

I just threw out '94 as one example. Could've just as easily mentioned "monumental upsets" of "superpowers" Portugal and Spain. ..nobody even remembers or cares less than a decade later.

Actually I wasn't referring to the youth stats...although I think that the more stars we have on the international scene, the more viable a career in soccer will become for those multi-sport athletes.

That being said, what I'm actually referring to are things like I mentioned earlier in the thread. Next time you see either an international friendly played in this country, or even better yet an exhibition between two international club powers or an MLS team vs a top Euro club team, try and get a ticket. The soccer base in this country is starving for world class soccer, and every year when they bring these events to the larger cities in this country, they sell out nearly immediately. I've tried twice to get tickets to go see a euro club exhibition (once with Chelsea, once with AC Milan) here in ATL when they were at the GA dome, and I didn't make it to either. They sell out in NYC, Philly, KC, Chicago, etc, etc.

On top of that, the MLS is beginning to really get a foothold, and they have made many very sound decisions on how to continue to generate growth. Loaning out our top players to clubs abroad, encouraging top players nearing retirement to play their last year or two in the MLS, scheduling friendlies for MLS teams vs. top club teams, growing the league at a deliberate pace, establishing the market for new soccer-only stadiums, etc, etc, etc.

On top of THAT, the ESPN contract is absolutely huge. Their long-term contract with the English Premier League and their broadcasts of the Champions League, USMNT matches, etc., allows Americans to see the best in the world. All of these factors allow for sustained, steady growth of the US soccer market, and they serve to instill higher levels of passion in those who are already on board.

Anything we do in the WC or on the national stage is icing on the cake, IMO